Chapter 21 – Abilities
480 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Harry stayed downcast for a while, unable to break away from his depression, he continued to stay like that until he felt a heavy loud on his shoulder.

Harry raised his head and looked to his right and found Fawkes’ flame form sitting on his shoulder. Oddly, despite its body basically being made from fire, Harry didn’t feel any heat coming from Fawkes.

Fawkes looked quizzically at Harry, as if asking, “what happened to you?”

“Haah” sighed Harry, “It’s fine, I’ll do better next time”

Fawkes nodded happily and rubbed its cheek against Harry’s. ‘How is he still soft when he’s made of fire?’ wondered Harry feeling rather dumbfounded.

The two enjoyed bonding for a while longer before Harry looked at Fawkes and asked something that had been plaging him for a while now.

“Fawkes, were you the one who gave me all those powers?” asked Harry, more for confirmation than anything else.

Fawkes immediately nodded proudly. It cried out loud and Harry could swear he felt like Fawkes just puffed his chest out.

“So, what kind of powers do I even have?” asked Harry.

Fawkes tilted his head for a minute then cried loudly and spewed some fire out of his mouth.

Those tongues of flame quickly split into six and lined up next to each other. The flames formed into screen like projections, floating in the air in front of Harry.

On each screen, there were scenes of a figure, or figures with unclear features doing some action. As he glanced through the various scenes, Harry realised that they seemed to be repeating once they finished once.

Wondering what they were about, Harry looked at the first screen. It had the figure standing in front of a huge cuboidal boulder, it was easily 200 meters tall and at least a 100 meters wide and seemed to be around 100 meters in depth as well.

The figure standing in front of that boulder seemed minuscule but Harry was getting ever more curious about what was going to happen. As he concentrated on the scene, he felt his senses connect with the figure in the scene. Whatever the figure saw, heard, smelt or felt, he would see, hear, smell or feel.

However, his own senses remained. He could still see the scene in front of him playing on the screen. To test it out, Harry turned his head away and the link to the figure disappeared.

Harry turned back to the screen and concentrated and the link quickly formed again.

‘Interesting, this should make it easier to understand than just watching’ thought Harry.

He closed his own eyes, so he could experience everything completely from the figure’s point of view.

He felt the figure standing in front of the boulder, it raised its fist up to its waist and clenching its fist hard, it concentrated strength into its arm. After several moments, when the power seemed hit a bottleneck, the figure struck forward and hit the boulder hard.

There was a huge crater that formed where the fist had struck the boulder, spiderweb like cracks spread out a little further from the outer perimeter of the crater.

‘Wow. This is some power’ thought Harry, almost ready to pull his attention away from the scene but he paused since it felt like the scene wasn’t finished yet.

The figure jumped back a good distance so it could see the entirety of the boulder and that was when Harry noticed. The spiderweb cracks on the boulder seemed to be increasing in size. At first slowly but soon it sped up so much that it was very easily noticeable. The cracks covered the entire boulder and the moment the cracks reached the corners, the boulder started to fall apart.

Harry gaped at the scene with his mouth hanging open. The boulder had been pulverised into small pieces. Each piece didn’t look much bigger than his own head.

The figure seemed to feel some satisfaction at this scene. Harry abruptly found the figure standing in front of an intact boulder once again.

‘So it’s looping again’ thought Harry as he pulled his attention away from the scene.

“That was amazing!” exclaimed Harry as he turned to Fawkes. “Is that really the kind of power that I can use?”

Fawkes nodded, though it didn’t have any expression, Harry could feel exasperation from it. As if to say, “what else did you expect from a phoenix?”

Harry chuckled and turned his attention to the second scene. He concentrated in the same way as the first and soon found himself linked with the figure.

The figure was standing in a huge meadow. There were trees, plants of every kind, various animals and all kinds of rocks and boulders all over the place.

Just as Harry was wondering what sort of skill this figure would display, he felt the figure concentrate. Suddenly Harry felt like everything had come to a stop. The animals and insects that were moving around were now completely still.

In the next moment, the figure started to run. Everything moved by in a blur but Harry was surprised to find that he could still see everything around him. Though it looked like a blur but he could still make everything out and react accordingly so the figure didn’t seem to bang into anything. Be it trees, animals or rocks.

After a few moments, the scene looped back to the beginning. Harry pulled his attention away and turned to Fawkes once more.

“Why did everything stop in the beginning?” he asked, though not really expecting a reply. He then thought about what had happened in the entire scene and suddenly thought of something.

“That speed of movement was insane. Did everything stop in the beginning because of that power?” asked Harry, to which Fawkes nodded again.

‘So that’s it. If my body moves at insane speeds then my mind should be able to cope with it, that ability would be incredibly useful’ thought Harry.

He then turned to the third scene, linking into it, he felt the figure.

This one wasn’t as flashy as the earlier scenes. The figure just concentrated and its senses got enhanced hundreds of times. It could see, hear and smell things from absurd distances away. What was most surprising though was that, the figure didn’t seem overwhelmed by the sheer amount of input it was receiving from its enhanced senses.

Harry pulled away. ‘I already knew that I could enhance my senses but never really realised how far I could actually go with this ability’

Harry turned to the fourth scene. This one was considerably more flashy than the first three.

The figure stood in a forest, a rainforest to be exact. A moment later, Harry could feel a warmth coming from the figure’s chest. A warmth he had felt one a few occasions.

The warmth built up, the temperature going higher and higher but it never seemed to be hot, only warm. Eventually, the warmth spread outside the body and soon a fire burned into existence.

The figure concentrated the flames into its hand and the fire promptly sprung out from its hand. It was then able to shape and form the fire into anything it desired.

Eventually, the figure wrapped itself in a sort of shield of flames, that seemed to be actively moving around the figure.

Then the figure sprout the fire from its back, forming rather large flame wings which it then flapped and floated off the ground.

Finally, the figure coated its whole body in flames and concentrated the flames, packing it layer by layer. Eventually, the flames became incredibly dense and rather blinding to look at. The figure then let the flames rush outward in an explosion.

The flames blew outward at an absurd speed and within moments they had covered a huge area. When the flames finally died down, the figure looked around.

What had been a rainforest was now a huge area of covered in ash.

Harry pulled his attention away and looked towards Fawkes, aghast.

“What the hell was that!?” yelled Harry, shocked beyond belief. “That’s phoenix fire?”

Fawkes nodded. Though he seemed to be against needless violence, it’s possible that phoenixes believed that violence would need to be used in the right situations.

Harry fell deep into thought after having seen that destruction. He thought for several minutes before he turned to Fawkes and asked. “Can phoenix fire affect souls?”

Fawkes immediately nodded. “Can they affect horcruxes?” asked Harry looking hopeful.

Fawkes hesitated for a moment then nodded again.

“Brilliant!” cheered Harry, feeling truly happy at having found the right tool for taking care of the horcruxes.

Feeling much happier, Harry turned to the fifth screen. Linking his senses with the figure, he saw a gruesome sight.

In front of the figure lay another figure. It had one arm chopped off, its chest had a huge wound that ran from the left shoulder till the right hip and he could almost see the organs inside. One of its legs were missing as well.

Harry felt rather horrible after seeing this sight. He wondered why the screen was showing such a scene.

The figure Harry was linked to, eventually did like the earlier one. Called out the warmth in its body but unlike the earlier one, the warmth didn’t build up. Instead a cooling feeling spread out instead. Eventually it concentrated that cooling feeling in its hand and a blue-ish purple flame sprung into existence.

The figure pointed the flame towards the severely wounded figure on the ground and the blue-ish purple flame rushed towards its target. It soon covered its target from head to toe.

Harry expected the flame to burn the figure on the ground to ashes but instead, what he saw, was much more amazing.

The wounds on the body of the figure on the ground healed rapidly, clearly visible to the naked eye. Even the limbs that had been chopped off grew back in minutes.

In no time at all, a complete figure was lying on the ground, not a single blemish on its body.

‘A healing flame’ thought Harry. ‘So much better than having to bleed every time I need to heal someone’

Harry pulled his attention away and finally turned to the sixth and last screen. The figure in that scene was standing on what seemed like a stage. In front of the stage stood hundreds and hundres of other figures.

The figure Harry was linked to looked at the figures below it and then spoke. It spoke words that Harry couldn’t quite catch or understand but he felt a feeling that he was rather familiar with.

The figure felt a surge of a desire for dominance, for authority and the moment it spoke, the very air reverberated and the sounds echoed all over the place. Despite the fact that the figure had spoken rather softly, it was obvious that every single being had heard the voice of the figure, the commands of the figure.

As if in response to the figure’s words, the other figures below the stage knelt in unison, their heads bowed deep in respect.

Harry marvelled at the sight for a while before he pulled his attention away when the scene started to loop.

‘That last one was rather different from the rest’ thought Harry. ‘Anyway, I’ve already personally experienced four of the six abilities so I just need to test the other two out’

“Are those all the abilities Fawkes?” asked Harry expectantly.

The phoenix hesitated for a moment then it shook its head.

“Oh?” Harry’s eyes gleamed with curiosity. “Show me! Show me!” he yelled.

Fawkes practically heaved an exasperated sigh before it breathed in deeply, the screens in front of it turning back into flames, flying into Fawkes’ open maw.

Fawkes then breathed out again, the flames flying out, turning into a single huge screen.

Harry immediately linked into the figure in the scene and felt his excitement rise.

The figure did what the one with the phoenix fire had done, it concentrated the warmth into its body, but then it did what the healing flame figure did as well, it concentrated the cooling feeling into its body. The odd thing though, it was doing both simultaneously.

When the feeling of the warmth and cooling reached their peak, the figure raised its hand up in the air and concentrated all its power into that point.

All the warmth and cooling energy rushed to its open palm, forming a huge ball which then quickly took a form that Harry was rather familiar with.

The ball formed into the figure of a phoenix, one that was made entirely of flames and looked rather similar to the phoenix Harry was currently with but one major difference was that it had a mixture of both yellow-orange flames and a blue-ish purple flames.

The phoenix flew around and then settled onto the figure’s shoulder, acting much like how Fawkes did with Harry.

Harry pulled away and turned to Fawkes with excitement. “I can basically summon you to the real world!?”

Fawkes nodded. Though it still had some of that exasperation emanating from it, the main emotion it seemed to be feeling was happiness and excitement as well as a good dose of playfulness.

Harry laughed, “I’ll call you out often so we can play”.

Fawkes cried out loud and happily nuzzled into his neck.

======

Finally a clear idea on what Harry's powers are like.

Also, I thought I should bring this up before it's too late and people start cussing me, but the Dark Phoenix in the title is more metaphorical than literal.

So I will not (I repeat, WILL NOT) be corrupting Fawkes.

8