Chapter 9 – Magic
588 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Heh, this is going to be fun!” said Harry with a grin as he recalled the expressions on the Dursley’s faces.

‘My strength is absolutely insane right now, so the main thing I need to do is try to learn how to control it so I don’t keep breaking through houses and shattering everything I touch’ thought Harry, initially elated however he grimaced towards the end.

‘But before all that, what is even going on? Why did my body suddenly change so much? Was it because of what Fawkes did in the end?’ pondered Harry. Feeling more and more lost as he thought about it.

‘Haah, forget it. I’ll think about that later. I doubt I can understand anything even if I think about it now’ thought Harry. He then started thinking about his current situation.

‘If what Vernon said is true, then a few days ago I should have been attacked by Dementors along with Dudley. Then I got a letter from the ministry saying I was expelled for underage magic, followed closely by a letter from Mr. Weasley asking me to not do any more magic and that they would figure things out’ thought Harry, remembering the situation he had already lived through, he couldn’t help but feel some anger at having to live through this nonsense again.

‘This time, I’ll make sure to get back at them!’ vowed Harry. He calmed down soon after.

‘Considering Hedwig isn’t in her cage, she should already be on her way to my friends with letters. I really wish she were here, I so badly want to hug her’ thought Harry with longing. ‘I don’t think I can believe my situation until I see her again’

Harry slowly paced around his wrecked room as he thought about all this. He noticed that if he didn’t try to apply any force at all, then he wouldn’t destroy things. It was still near impossible for him to use his hands though, since he couldn’t control his strength at all.

‘I really need to fix my room but if I did magic, it would probably complicate the situation with the ministry and I’m not ready to fight with them just yet.’ thought Harry.

“Oh right!” exclaimed Harry. “Didn’t Voldemort have a way to suppress the trace? If I used that then I could do magic however much I want, not to mention with his skills in wandless and chatless magic, I don’t think I even need my wand for the next few days” said Harry.

Harry then sat on his bed and started going through Voldemort’s skills, after several minutes he found the ones he was looking for.

As he looked into how to suppress the trace, he felt rather astonished. The solution was actually rather simple. All it required was for the user to create a thin layer of mana, the basic building blocks of magic, over themselves when using magic and it would basically stop the signal from the trace from leaving the body and would just rebound back.

From Voldemort’s memories, Harry realised that the signal would bounce around inside the mana barrier for around 10 minutes before fizzling out, so Harry would have to maintain the barrier for at least 10 minutes after the magic to make sure that the signal doesn’t leave.

Harry quickly decided to put his plan into action. He closed his eyes and first tried to sense this mana that Voldemort’s memories talked about. Even if Harry had gotten the skills from Voldemort’s soul shard, he would still need to practice a little till he was able to use it easily.

With his eyes closed, Harry spread his consciousness out and tried to feel for mana. At first he couldn’t feel anything but after several minutes of concentrating, he could sense a small speck of light.

Once he knew what he was looking for, he noticed the specks increasing at an alarming rate. This startled Harry a good deal before he realised that the specks themselves weren’t increasing, rather it was just his perception of them.

Unbeknownst to Harry, over an hour passed as he sat still, sensing mana, before he felt like he could feel everything in his surroundings. One thing he noticed is that, with his perception of mana, he could make out shapes around him based on how the mana was distributed.

‘It seems like mana doesn’t just go through solid objects easily but goes around them. So an airtight container, with no mana would never have mana unless we open the jar?’ pondered Harry.

Seeing that he could finally sense mana, he kept a hold on that sense and tried to move around.

‘I want to be able to sense it subconsciously, so that I don’t need to concentrate so much just to perceive the mana’ thought Harry.

Several hours went by in a flash. Normally Harry would have given up easily if he couldn’t see any improvements but he could feel his perception improving by leaps and bounds.

‘This is something that even Voldemort didn’t manage and he had to concentrate quite a bit just to get the mana shield on him. That’s why he never used it in battle. So considering I inherited his skills, shouldn’t I be constrained by the same issues?’ wondered Harry with a frown.

‘Not that I’m complaining. If I can perceive it without concentrating then that’s brilliant!’ he thought happily. ‘Not to mention, that means that I could improve on the skills I got from Voldemort as well’

After so much time, Harry felt like his perception was already at a level where he could perceive them without having to think much about it.

With that out of the way, Harry concentrated on interacting with the mana and tried to pull it towards himself, making it gather around him.

After a few tries, he got the knack of it and quickly pulled a large amount of mana towards himself, spreading it around his body to form a sort of sphere around himself.

At first the mana shield seemed rather unstable, with ripples going through it every few minutes. However, it didn’t take Harry long to stabilise it.

Now that he had his shield up, Harry looked around and decided that he should start with repairing something simple.

Harry recalled the wandless magic skill and how to use it. It seemed that it was rather similar to how a wand was used for magic. He would have to move his hand in the same way as the wand.

Taking his right hand’s index finger near his broken glasses, Harry tapped it lightly, as lightly as humanly possible so as to make sure he didn’t break it even further, and quietly said, “Reparo”.

The first thing he noticed was the mana around the glasses ripple a little and then move towards the glasses, entering it and quickly repairing it.

‘So that’s how it works! I don’t particularly need to move my hand around or say anything if I could just direct the mana to do what I want’ Harry thought.

Getting excited at the prospect of doing magic without any movement, with just his mind, Harry quickly went towards his wardrobe and noticed that a chunk of it was broken and lying on the floor.

Before he could move on to repairing the wardrobe, he noticed a clump of mana exit his body and fly towards the hole in his room’s wall, only to be stopped by his mana shield. The clump bounced off the shield, moved in the opposite direction and hit the shield again and then kept rebounding inside his shield.

‘That must be the signal from the trace. So I can rest assured that the ministry wouldn’t find out that I’ve been doing magic’ Harry thought happily.

‘I should get on with repairing the wardrobe now’ he thought.

Instead of doing what he did with the glasses, Harry simply concentrated and thought hard about wanting to repair the wardrobe.

Almost immediately, a large amount of mana rushed towards the wardrobe and quickly repaired the damage.

‘Wasn’t that a little too easy?’ wondered Harry, ‘I thought it would take me hours to be able to do it’

He excitedly looked around his room and decided to repair everything else.

Instead of looking at one item at a time, he thought of repairing everything at once.

In the next instant, all the rubble and every bit of broken item in the room floated into the air and flew back into place, fixing itself rather quickly.

It was a surreal sight for Harry. He watched as everything moved and repaired itself as if time itself was turning back.

‘This is incredible!’ thought Harry excitedly. He almost jumped with how excited he felt.

After a while of feeling excited, his emotions started to settle down a little bit. Now that he had solved the issues with his room and even his inability to do magic, he figured it was about time to start to seriously consider his situation and what he should do from here on out.

Harry sat on his bed for several minutes, looking around his room as he waited for the signal from the trace to die down. Eventually, when he noticed the signal finally stopping, he took the shield down.

‘I suppose, I should really think about how to get to each horcrux and destroy them as soon as possible but first, I need some sleep. I’ve been up for much too long.’ thought Harry.

Thinking about everything that had happened in such a short time, Harry sighed internally. Finally, he lay down on his bed and felt his eyelids grow heavier by the moment. Eventually, he fell into a deep sleep.

9