Echoes from the Oblivion Realm
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 24: Echoes from the Oblivion Realm

The griffin soared through the desolate plains, the wind whipping at Alex's face as he approached the designated feeding ground. This time, the atmosphere felt different, heavy with a chilling anticipation. The whispers, once a discordant symphony, were now a chaotic maelstrom of pain and frustration emanating from the Devourer.

Landing at a safe distance, Alex dismounted, his heart pounding a frantic rhythm against his ribs. He closed his eyes, focusing on the cacophony, searching for a single, clear thread to connect with. The whispers were a torrent of primal hunger, laced with a flicker of… desperation?

"Devourer," Alex rasped, channeling his will into the whispers. "We hear your pain. We understand your hunger."

The response was immediate, a guttural roar that shook the very ground beneath his feet. Images flooded his mind – the desolate emptiness of the Oblivion Realm, a realm devoid of sustenance, its inhabitants driven by a maddening hunger for existence. The Devourer, trapped between two worlds, its hunger amplified by the whispers of the Oblivion entities.

Anya's words echoed in his mind – "appease it." But how could they appease a creature driven by such a primal need? An idea, desperate yet potentially fruitful, sparked within him.

"There might be another way," he projected through the whispers. "A way to satiate your hunger without breaching the agreement. We offer… a champion."

Silence descended, thick and heavy. The Devourer's hunger remained, a constant thrumming in the background, but a flicker of curiosity emerged.

"A champion?" the creature boomed, the whispers echoing the question.

Alex elaborated, weaving a complex message. They would open a temporary portal, a sliver of an opening to the Oblivion Realm. The Devourer, in exchange for a temporary ceasefire, would send a single entity through the portal to fight a designated champion within the feeding ground. The victor would claim the right to consume the loser, satiating its hunger for a set period.

The proposition hung in the air, a gamble on a different level. The whispers crackled with a mix of skepticism and predatory excitement. 

Finally, the Devourer's response came – a guttural growl that sent shivers down Alex's spine. It agreed. The hunger, for now, craved a contest, a battle for dominance.

Relief washed over Alex, a wave so powerful it nearly brought him to his knees. They had struck another bargain, a precarious dance on the edge of oblivion, but a dance that offered a sliver of hope. He focused his will, picturing the forgotten ritual from the scrolls, the sequence of arcane gestures and ancient chants that would open the temporary portal.

The air crackled with raw energy as Alex weaved the intricate spell. The ground trembled, and a swirling vortex ripped open the fabric of reality, revealing a glimpse of the desolate Oblivion Realm beyond. A monstrous entity, a grotesque amalgamation of teeth and claws, materialized from the portal, its hunger radiating outwards like a physical force.

Anya, clad in enchanted armor and wielding a blade imbued with arcane energy, stepped forward, her face a mask of resolute determination. She was their champion, their last line of defense against the horrors that lurked beyond the veil.

The battle commenced, a brutal clash of primal hunger and unwavering resolve. The entity from the Oblivion Realm roared, a sound that seemed to tear at the very fabric of reality, as it lunged towards Anya. She met its attack with a swift parry, her blade flashing in the fading sunlight. The battle raged, a whirlwind of claws and steel, echoing across the desolate plains.

Alex, his body drained from the ordeal of opening the portal, watched with bated breath. Anya, though skilled, was facing an entity fueled by a primal hunger that transcended anything they had encountered before.

Just as despair threatened to consume him, Anya landed a decisive blow, her blade finding a chink in the entity's armor. With a final roar, the creature from the Oblivion Realm dissolved into a cloud of dust, sucked back into the closing portal.

Silence descended, broken only by Anya's ragged breaths. The Devourer, through the whispers, acknowledged the victory. The temporary ceasefire remained in effect, its hunger sated for a time. 

Exhausted but exhilarated, Alex helped Anya back to the griffin. As they soared back towards Aethel, the setting sun painting the sky in fiery hues, a sense of accomplishment mingled with apprehension. They had won the battle, but the war against the Devourer's hunger, and the whispers emanating from the Oblivion Realm, was far from over.

The whispers, once a source of torment, now held a new melody –

0