Chapter 13 – Abandoned Asylum
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arriving at the ominous and foreboding abandoned building in the distance, the taxi cab came to a halt right in front of the sealed iron gate, its bars obscured by creeping vines.

After paying for the fare, Lenny exited the vehicle and made his way into the enclosed area through a small opening in the fence further down.

The car that had been shadowing the cab powered down its engine. In this desolate place, the only illumination, aside from the moonlight, emanated from a feeble streetlight positioned across from the sealed entrance of the derelict building. This light cast an eerie glow on the road that curved towards a distant church and school.

The headlights and interior lights of the car were extinguished, leaving it parked in obscurity at a distance from the streetlight.

The driver muttered to himself, "What could that bastard be searching for in a place like this, in the dead of night?"

"Why did you stop?" asked a deep voice from the front passenger seat beside him.

As the driver gazed upon the menacing facade of the structure ahead, an unsettling shiver coursed down his spine.

He hesitated before continuing, "I've... I've heard stories about this place. It used to be a mental institution for troubled youth, established in the early '80s. It was renowned for its exceptional healthcare and treatment methods, with patients made to feel at home. The public knew of numerous success stories of young adults and kids getting cured of their mental illnesses.

"That was until everything went up in smoke. There were a few reports to the police from concerned families about missing patients and constant screams echoing from the hospital. The cops didn't do shit, though. They probably thought that screams were normal in such a place. I heard they were convinced by the doctors of the hospital that everything was normal too.

"Then, in the late '90s, tragedy struck. The deranged patients massacred the doctors, mutilated their bodies, and displayed their severed heads from the windows of the asylum.

"The patients were arrested. The hospital immediately went under investigation, and it was found that several inhumane experiments were conducted on patients, suicides were covered up by hospital staff, along with an unnamed cemetery in the forest on the western side of the institution."

Accompanied by a derisive chuckle, a voice emanated from the back seat mockingly asked, "You still believe in superstitions?"

"I'm not finished yet," the driver said, undeterred by the taunt. "After it was closed down, there was a reconstruction plan in line with that housing development act, you know, the one aimed to tear down unused structures to make way for residential and commercial development. The hospital's buildings were supposed to be torn down so they could start developing apartment complexes in the surrounding area.

"But during reconstruction, three construction workers met tragic fates. These unfortunate incidents, coupled with workers occasionally hearing screams from within the walls, led to the project's abrupt abandonment."

The mocking voice from the back seat retorted, slightly annoyed, "Why do you even bother with this shit? What's next? People mysteriously died when they drove past here?"

The driver's response carried a note of anger as he kept his gaze averted from the foreboding structure ahead. 

"About ten years ago, I had just come to Neapolis and started out as a cab driver when I heard about it from an old dude who had been in the business for over 20 years. He said he saw the hanged heads himself and often heard the screams after the place was deserted. He was also around when the tearing down was set in motion, but when he heard about the crazy shit that happened to the workers, he never drove past here again. So, I know what I'm talking about! It's all true! You can search for it if you don't believe me."

The deep voice from beside the driver calmly uttered, "These stories do not matter. We have a job to do."

The driver, however, shook his head and continued, "One construction worker went mad, another committed suicide, and the last was the owner of the contracting company; he and his family died in a car accident."

After a few seconds of silence, the deep voice, noticing his colleague's fear, responded, "Fine. We'll wait 10 minutes. If he doesn't come out, we'll go in."

The mocking voice from the back seat, with a hint of fright in his tone, suggested:

"Y-Y'know, it's better to be safe than sorry. Boss said we should get him completely unnoticed if we can. We can't be certain if he's alone or in a group. We can just wait here for the bastard to come out."

"Okay. Thirty minutes then," the deep voice conceded.

The driver muttered, "People say they still hear screams when they pass the hospital."

The deep-voiced individual merely covered his face with his hand, disappointed in his colleagues' cowardice.

"Okay," he sighed. "We will wait here for him."

A bout of silence dawned upon the vehicle's occupants.

The driver hesitantly voiced, breaking the silence, "Should… we play word chain?"

"How about you shut up for once?" the voice from the back seat retorted.

[Rule #2: Pointers must not share information regarding or pertaining to Top Idol with non-pointers.]

In the darkness, Lenny switched on his phone torch and then made his way across the courtyard, heading for the back of the abandoned building where he attempted suicide the night before.

At the aluminum fence at the edge of the cliffside, standing in the field of neglected and overgrown weeds, Lenny turned and looked at the ominous building. He spoke hushedly so as to not destroy the peace of the night or warrant unwanted visitors.

"Um… stranger? Are you still here?"

Lenny called out a few more times but received no answer. He paused his attempts and used his phone's light to briefly scan the uncut grass around him, afraid of the possibility of snakes compared to the last time he was here.

Then, he raised the light and looked about the area. The looming abandoned main hospital building about 25 meters away with a washed ash color and broken windows served as the backdrop to the deeply unsettling sounds of the calm but uneasy waves of the sea and the eerie creeks of insects. 

Lenny picked up a shadow that moved in the darkness beyond the light on his far right, but upon directing the light to the location, he saw that there was nothing there.

'...I-I shouldn't stay here for too long,' he thought, a creeping feeling crawling up his body.

Feeling a mixture of fear and frustration, and left with no other option, he climbed over the ledge once again.

"If you don't talk to me, I'll jump!" he screamed. However, the result was the same. There was no response.

'...Maybe he's not here?' 

Despite starting to harbor some doubt, Lenny however, yelled some more, "I-I'm not kidding! I did it last time, I can do it again!"

As Lenny gazed upon the tumultuous waves crashing against the sheer face of the cliff below, he took a big gulp. He found it difficult to comprehend how he had mustered the courage to leap from this precipice previously.

"Don't fool yourself," a voice emanating from the obscurity behind him admonished, seemingly originating from somewhere within the dilapidated building.

0