Chapter 12: Choices and Unexpected Invitations
95 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 12: Choices and Unexpected Invitations

Saturday dawned, but the usual spark in Maya's eyes was missing. A conversation the previous night revealed a mountain of law school stress weighing on her. Knowing she would benefit from the familiar comfort of family, Kai booked her a last-minute flight back to their hometown to spend the weekend with their parents.

Alone in his apartment, a peculiar mix of excitement and uncertainty swirled within him. The past weekss had been a whirlwind of change - enhanced abilities, physical improvements thanks to the system's "handsomeness" reward, and a newfound confidence that fueled a restless energy. He had plans - several of them. He had also decided to leave his current job.

He toyed with the idea of approaching a modeling agency, the undeniable change in his facial structure and physique whispering possibilities. Or maybe he could finally pursue that coding project he'd shelved years ago, dreaming big with the enhanced confidence and intelligence bolstering his ambition. 

The choices felt overwhelming, the path forward unclear. With a sigh, he pushed them aside for the moment. Sometimes, the best solutions arrived when least expected. He decided to unwind, firing up his computer for a night of video games with his online buddies.

Just as the virtual battlefield reached a fever pitch, a notification popped up on his screen. It was a message from Priya.

"Hey Kai! Just wondering if you and Maya are free for dinner tonight? It's been ages, and I'd love to catch up properly. Plus, I've got some news to share!"

Kai's heart sank a little. Maya was already on her way back home. "Hey Priya," he typed, "great to hear from you! Unfortunately, Maya had to go out of town unexpectedly. Maybe another time?"

He sent the message, a tinge of disappointment lingering. But almost instantly, Priya's reply arrived. 

"Oh no, that's a bummer," she typed. "Well, how about you join me solo then? We can still catch up, and I'm dying to hear all about your mysterious ex-girlfriend you mentioned last week!"

Kai couldn't help but smile. He found himself intrigued by the prospect of spending an evening with Priya. Maybe a break from soul-searching and brainstorming wasn't such a bad idea. 

"Sure, why not," he typed, a playful glint in his virtual eyes. "Italian sound good?"

"Perfect!" came Priya's reply, followed by a string of emoji-filled texts.

As he shut down his computer, a sense of anticipation bubbled within him. The night's agenda may have shifted, but the promise of good food, good company, and maybe even a delicious slice of tiramisu, was an enticing prospect. He would figure out his next move tomorrow. Tonight, he would simply enjoy the present, one friend, one plate of pasta, and one intriguing mystery at a time.   

1