Chapter 1 – Dark Memories
67 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you like the story and want to see more, take a look at my Patreon, where you'll find several chapters ahead of the public. And you'll also be helping me reach my dream of being a full-time writer.

Royal Woods was a peaceful, quiet town in southern Michigan... or what was left of it. After the apocalypse hit the town and reduced everything to ashes, all that was left behind was destruction and chaos. You're probably wondering, in this state of pure despair, how could anyone has survived? You're almost right, but only one person had survived this catastrophe, and that person was the last survivor of a family of ten sisters, in other words, the last member of the Loud family? to be more specific, Lincoln Loud.

And there was our hero, on top of a pile of dead bodies and surrounded by a horde of undead: evil and super-evolved who wanted to devour him.

(Shit, I'm out of ammo...)

Lincoln thought, as he looked at his rifle, with the last empty cartridge lying next to it.

"And apparently I have nowhere else to go either. And after I lost my eye, things only got worse. Imagine how hard it is to run away from these fucking monsters with only one eye."

Murmured the man, who looked like he was in his fifties and was sitting on the pile of bodies, as he took the last drag of his cigarette.

After all that complaining, the man suddenly stood up and started talking as if he were having a conversation with someone.

"Well, I have to admit that it's really nice to talk to someone after years, how have you been?"

Lincoln asked, breaking the fourth wall, as he usually did when he had nothing to do.

As he talked to himself, Lincoln looked at the distant horizon, where the sun was dying amidst the clouds of ash. The heavy silence was interrupted only by the creaking of the undead around him.

"How long has it been since I've spoken to you?"

Lincoln asked, talking to nothing, but for some reason hoping for an answer.

"Well, I don't even know how long it's been, since so many unpleasant things have happened in recent years that it's hard to remember. As you can see, what was once a happy, peaceful town has turned into a sea of darkness and despair. And to make matters even worse for my sanity, as well as being the only survivor of my family, I've just become the last living human survivor of the town."

Lincoln replied, as if he were answering a question posed by someone, although there was no one but him to hear.

Lincoln let out a small sigh, letting himself be carried away by the momentary loneliness that took hold of him.

"Sometimes I wonder if it's still worth fighting."

Lincoln muttered to himself as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a photo.

"I miss you guys so much..."

Whispered the man as he looked at a photograph that had all the members of his family gathered together, which were his parents and his sisters, with whom he had sort of ended up having an affair over the years.

"If only they were here with me..."

Lincoln murmured as he stared at the photo and looked at his sisters.

"Especially the..."

Just as Lincoln was about to mention the names of the people with whom he had had an affair, an evolved zombie/monster managed, with great effort, to reach the top of the pile of bodies and, without him realizing it, almost managed to grab his leg.

"YOU SON OF A BITCH! CAN'T YOU SEE I'M GIVING MY PRE-DEATH SPEECH!"

Lincoln shouted, his voice slightly altered as he hit the monster on the head with the butt of his rifle, which, with the impact, blew the monster's brains out in the process, causing its lifeless body to plummet from the top of the pile of bodies.

"I've had enough of all this shit, it's been over a year since I've communicated with a living human in this fucking place, I'm going crazy. And if all that wasn't enough, now I'm going down too..."

Said the man already losing his mind as he paused briefly before continuing.

"But like a true man, I refuse to fall without first fighting to the end, it's like that old saying, I may fall, but I fall shooting. Not literally, but you get the idea. I can't take all this shit anymore, so why not put an end to it? But those of you watching can be sure that my death will be in style."

"Let me tell you, my viewers, how legendary this death will be." (At least that's what I hope will happen).

Said Lincoln as he took another swing at another monster that had managed to climb onto the pile of bodies, knocking him down shortly afterwards.

"As you can see, this pile of bodies isn't here for nothing, it would be very simple to say that I just went around killing these pieces of shit and ended up in this situation. But... you're right, that's all that happened. However, in the middle of this pile, there's a car full of dynamite and gallons of gasoline. Then you ask me: how am I going to blow this shit up if the car is in the middle of it? And I tell you, buddy, trust the script. See that fuse that just magically appeared out of nowhere? It's going to be with him that I'm going to put an end to all this shit, so..."

Lincoln said as he took a last drag from his cigarette.

"So... that's its folks. See you in the next life... of course if there is one."

Said Lincoln as he lit the wick, which began to burn at an absurd rate, and in a fraction of a second, he began to hear some noises coming from inside the bodies, indicating that the dynamites had most likely been ignited.

Then the noise got louder and louder, and suddenly there was a huge explosion that threw everything away. Including our hero, who didn't even have a chance to say another word. But he was certainly happy, because at least I got to die still being myself and not one of those things, just as she had done to the rest of her family.

4