Chapter 6 – Let’s get ready
33 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you like the story and want to see more, take a look at my Patreon, where you'll find several chapters ahead of the public. And you'll also be helping me reach my dream of being a full-time writer.

Lincoln, realizing that his mother wouldn't believe him, decided to keep his doubts and anguish to himself. He realized that trying to explain something as surreal and confusing as that experience would be in vain. Instead, he decided to just go with the flow of the conversation and, with a tender smile on his face, answered his mother.

"Yeah, you're right, Mom."

Lincoln replied, forcing a reassuring smile.

"It was just a bad dream, maybe it was just my mind playing tricks on me."

Rita nodded, showing that she was relieved by her son's response.

"I was sure you'd get over it; after all, you've always been a very brave boy."

Rita added, with a radiant smile, as she stroked her son's face.

However, even though Lincoln pretended that everything was fine, he was actually still feeling a bit out of place with the whole situation. To him, everything seemed as real as if he had actually lived here.

While Rita caressed her son's face, Lincoln felt uncomfortable not being able to share the whole truth, even if she didn't believe him. However, his mother's comforting presence helped him to calm down at that moment.

"Thanks, Mom."

Lincoln said, smiling genuinely before continuing.

"I know I can always count on you for support. And by the way, what day is it again?"

After Lincoln asked the question, Rita began to stare at her son, not understanding the meaning of the question, but choosing not to probe further. After all, her son was already pretty down.

"Today is December 3rd, darling. Why?"

Rita asked curiously, gently touching her son's arm.

"December third..."

While whispering about that particular date, Lincoln ended up remembering something very important.

(Shit.)

Lincoln thought, with a serious expression on his face.

Rita noticed the serious expression on her son's face and asked with a worried face:

"Is everything all right, son?"

"Yes, I'm fine..."

Lincoln said, while trying to disguise his discomfort before continuing.

"I just got a little distracted because of everything that's happened."

Rita nodded, but her concern was still evident. She knew that something was bothering her son deeply, but decided not to press him at the moment.

"I understand. If anything happens, you can call me at any time. Right now, I have to finish getting ready for work."

"That's okay, Mom. And have a good day at work!"

Lincoln said, while trying not to show his concern.

"Thanks, son."

Rita replied, leaving her son's room, but not without giving him a comforting kiss on the forehead.

After his mother left the room and then closed the door, the smile that had once been on Lincoln's face quickly disappeared, giving way to an expression that was even more serious and somber than it had been a few minutes ago.

Still with a grim and determined expression on his face, Lincoln remained silent for a few minutes after his mother left. His thoughts were filled with the experience he had lived through and the promise he had made to himself.

"I'm sure that everything I experienced wasn't a dream."

Lincoln muttered to himself, with a serious countenance, as he clenched his fists a little angrily.

"And now that I've returned, I'll use all the knowledge I've learned over the years to prevent all this from happening again. I won't let those close to me, or those I love, die again. After all, that was a promise I made to them and, even if I die again, this time I will keep it, no matter what."

He continued, Lincoln, only this time with less anger and more determination.

After that, Lincoln got out of bed and started walking towards his closet. Inside, he grabbed the first shirt he saw in front of him and a cold coat. After putting them on, he opened the door to his room and glanced outside. Luckily, the corridor was empty, as his mother had already left for work and his sisters were in their rooms. After confirming that he was indeed alone and that there would be no one to stop him, the young man walked down the stairs and towards the front door, but before he did, Lincoln turned towards the house and took one last look before leaving.

"I have to get stronger and stronger no matter what it takes. Only then will I be able to keep you all safe."

Whispered Lincoln, facing his house and heading towards his best friend's house.

(There's only one person who can help me, who wouldn't think I'm going crazy, and, moreover, wouldn't ask me anything, let alone question me. And that person is Clyde).

Lincoln thought, as he remembered the only person he could trust to tell him everything that was about to happen in a few days' time.

As he walked towards his friend's house, Lincoln couldn't, for a single second, stop thinking about that damned day when tragedy would strike. Worst of all, he knew everything that was going to happen, but he couldn't tell anyone; after all, if he dared to say anything, everyone would think he was crazy.

If I'm not mistaken, in my past life, all this shit started at midnight on December twenty-fifth to twenty-sixth. On that day, many people were taken by surprise by the tragedy and ended up being killed by the monsters, without even being able to do anything to protect themselves. It was as if an entity, or the administrator of the world that caused that shit, wanted us to enjoy our last Christmas before punishing us for anything. Just remembering that day makes me pissed off.

After arriving at his friend's house, Lincoln knocked on the door and was greeted by Clyde's parents, the McBride’s.

"Lincoln? What are you doing here so early?"

Howard asked, surprised at the sudden presence of his son's friend on his doorstep so early.

"Sorry to show up so early, Mr. McBride"

Lincoln began, remaining calm despite the urgency in his eyes.

"But I need to talk to Clyde. Is he there?"

Lincoln asked, politely greeting Clyde's adoptive parents.

4