Chapter 21: The Death Sentence
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The ride was silent as Lin Xiao directed the car toward the Brilliant Tower.

Perhaps fatigued from the flight, Wan Caixuan had leaned back as soon as they were on the road. She put on her headphones and lay down to rest, her eyes closed in relaxation. But she hadn't been resting long before her phone buzzed at her side. Picking it up, she saw the caller ID and answered the call.

"Hello, Miss. How are you finding the bodyguard I arranged for you? I think he's quite impressive, don't you? He fits your specifications to a tee," Ning Xi's voice chirped from the earpiece, a note of pride evident in her tone.

"Bodyguard?"

Surprise flitted across Wan Caixuan's face at Ning Xi's words. But the moment of confusion passed quickly and her gaze shifted to Lin Xiao, who was focused on the road ahead.

"Yes, the one who picked you up. I put a lot of effort into finding him. Don't you think he's competent?"

"Competent?"

Had it been anyone but Ning Xi on the line, Wan Caixuan would have retorted sharply. Competent? The man had made her wait at the airport for a full half-hour.

Wan Caixuan prided herself on her punctuality. Had Lin Xiao been a one-time driver, his tardiness would have been a minor infringement, warranting a small fine as per the company's policy.

But as her personal bodyguard, his tardiness was unforgivable. It was a death sentence in her book.

Not wishing to embarrass Ning Xi, who was the only one in the company she trusted implicitly, Wan Caixuan replied coolly, "Let's discuss this when we're back at the office."

"Alright," Ning Xi, sensing the cold edge in Wan Caixuan's voice, wrapped up the call with a tinge of confusion.

She sat in her office, nursing her worries. "Did something go wrong with Lin Xiao?" She couldn't call him now, so all she could do was wait until he returned to the office.

On the other end, Wan Caixuan, her body aching slightly, stretched her arms and yawned. As she did, her stunning curves were accentuated, her exquisite beauty highlighted, especially with the loose long skirt she wore revealing her slender legs. It was a sight that could easily lead one into temptation.

Any man would have had his blood racing, his thoughts wandering. But Lin Xiao, sitting in the driver's seat, showed no sign of any reaction. His gaze remained fixed on the road ahead, unaffected by the enchanting view behind him.

This indifference from Lin Xiao adjusted Wan Caixuan's impression of him, albeit slightly.

'He's unfit to be my personal bodyguard,' she decided, planning to have Ning Xi fire him.

By this point, they were halfway back to the company.

Lin Xiao was navigating the Rolls Royce down a remote highway, the most secluded stretch on the route from the airport.

The area, due for redevelopment, was lined with dilapidated, half-demolished industrial parks, scarcely populated.

As Lin Xiao slowed down to navigate the bumpy road, not far away, in an abandoned residential building, a group of burly men lounged. Some were standing, some seated, some smoking, others resting with their eyes closed. But each exuded an undeniable air of strength and brutality.

Nearby, a collection of firearms and weapons suggested that these people were no ordinary folk. Thankfully, the residential building had long been abandoned, devoid of residents who would have been frightened by such a sight.

At the rooftop's edge, a sturdy man with a scarred face was peering through binoculars. His black short-sleeved shirt revealed muscular arms crisscrossed with scars. But his face was what really caught one's attention, two scars stretched from the corners of his eyes to his mouth, forming a stark 'X'. His visage was terrifying.

“The target has surfaced. Everyone, prepare. We could act at any moment.” After observing for a while, the scarred leader tucked his binoculars away, his voice icy with bloodlust.

A henchman chuckled, “Boss, we've got all the information from the client. We know this target inside out while they know nothing. This is a sure success.”

“That’s right, boss. But speaking of our client, they sure are loaded. A whopping 30 million is on the line. We have to celebrate big once this job is done.”

“These people from the big families are truly ruthless, putting out a hit on such a beautiful woman. Boss, how about we capture the target first for some fun, what do you think?”

Their conversation was casual, their confidence evident. The upcoming task was treated as a foregone conclusion.

Seeing this, the scar-faced man's countenance hardened, a dangerous glint in his eyes. “If any of you are thinking about anything other than the task at hand, I'd reconsider if I were you. This job must be a success, not a failure. Anyone found wanting, I’ll break your third leg.”

“Yes, boss!”

His authority was evident, as his men, upon hearing his words, quickly composed themselves.

“'Rest assured. We'll celebrate grandly once the job is complete. There'll be feasts and plenty to drink. You'll be so exhausted that you won't be able to get out of bed, like a groom on his wedding night.”

Seeing his men rally, the scar-faced man was pleased. Despite his own confidence, he knew he needed to temper his men's arrogance. They couldn't afford any slip-ups, especially with such a lucrative reward at stake.

Lin Xiao was driving slowly but had gradually made his way off the decrepit highway. Just as he was about to leave the remote area, his face suddenly changed, and he slammed the brakes.

Despite hitting the brakes, the Rolls Royce, which had been speeding moments ago, skid several meters, emitting a high-pitched screeching sound.

Wan Caixuan, resting in the back, was jolted awake by the abrupt stop. She nearly flew off her seat, saved only by her seatbelt.

“What's going on?”

It took a moment for her to recover from the shock. She then turned to Lin Xiao, her face lined with irritation, demanding an explanation.

0