Chapter 25: Repay him with affections?
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At the attack site, Ning Xi looked silently at the sprawl of black-clad bodies. While Wan Caixuan had detailed the assault earlier, experiencing the aftermath in person struck her much more profoundly.

The scene served as a chilling testament to the extraordinary capabilities of Lin Xiao. Ning Xi, who had hired him into the company, was already aware of his skills. But even she was astounded by his formidable prowess now on display.

That being said, his strength was reassuring. The stronger Lin Xiao, the safer Miss Wan.

Ning Xi observed Lin Xiao with a look of awe bordering on disbelief, which left him feeling somewhat unsettled.

"What's the matter?" Lin Xiao queried, feeling slightly awkward.

"Nothing. I'm just curious about how non-humans differ from ordinary people," Ning Xi responded.

Lin Xiao could only remain silent.

Not until the arrival of the police did Ning Xi finally divert her attention away from him. Lin Xiao sighed in relief, preferring a face-off with a gang of black-suited assassins over enduring Ning Xi's penetrating gaze.

Wan Caixuan observed the friendly exchanges between Ning Xi and Lin Xiao, feeling an inexplicable twinge of sadness. Despite her wealthy upbringing, her aloof nature meant she had few friends. Lin Xiao was one of the few men who had spent considerable time in her company.

The recent assassination attempt had only deepened her sense of isolation. Though the assassins lay dead, she harbored a suspicion about the mastermind behind the plot.

"He's just my bodyguard. His protection is part of the job. I can't overthink this," Wan Caixuan tried to reassure herself.

It took her some time to regain her composure, but the incidents that had transpired were indelibly imprinted in her mind. The memory of him diving to shield her from a bullet, and lighting her path in her darkest hour of despair, persisted.

Eventually, Ning Xi finished her statement to the police and joined Lin Xiao.

"Ning Xi, are you okay?"

"I'm fine. We're the victims here, and those who died were assassins. I just need to make a few more trips to the police station. The reputation of the Brilliant Group should see us through," Ning Xi said.

Upon hearing this, Lin Xiao nodded in relief. He abhorred complications, especially after his last run-in with a striking policewoman, which had resulted in a lengthy and bothersome visit to the police station.

"Miss, we'll need to leave the Rolls-Royce here as evidence. We can take my car back," Ning Xi suggested.

"Agreed."

Subsequently, Lin Xiao drove Ning Xi's car back to the company. The drive was quiet, with Wan Caixuan mostly silent and very few exchanges between Ning Xi and Lin Xiao.

Just as they were nearing their destination, Wan Caixuan finally spoke, "Let's keep the assassination attempt confidential."

"Understood," Lin Xiao responded, without prying any further.

He was aware that there were hidden layers to the attempt on Wan Caixuan's life. However, as a bodyguard, he felt his role was to provide protection, and he refrained from meddling in affairs beyond his purview.

Upon their return to the Brilliant Tower in the late afternoon, they were greeted with respectful salutations.

"Good afternoon, Assistant Ning. Good afternoon, President."

As Lin Xiao and Ning Xi accompanied Wan Caixuan into the building, a figure watched from the shadows. Lu Yufei saw Lin Xiao, following Wan Caixuan into the building, and a malevolent smile spread across his face.

He had spent the entire morning eagerly anticipating Lin Xiao's return, eager to witness firsthand the spectacle of Lin Xiao being fired from the company. Now that Lin Xiao was finally back, he couldn't help but revel in joy.

"Country bumpkin, this might be your last time in the Brilliant Group. Get lost! Haha!"

Envisioning the scene of Lin Xiao being ousted from the building in humiliation, Lu Yufei broke into involuntary laughter.

Unaware of Lu Yufei's thoughts, Lin Xiao was currently accompanying Wan Caixuan to the very top floor of the Brilliant Group building. After watching Wan Caixuan and Ning Xi walk into the CEO's office, Lin Xiao settled down on a chair outside.

Inside the office, Wan Caixuan stood next to an enormous, transparent tempered glass wall, her arms folded across her chest. Her face was etched with melancholy as she gazed blankly down at the floors below, lost in thought.

Ning Xi, seeing Wan Caixuan's distressed expression, felt a pang of sympathy. People only saw the young mistress's glamorous public persona, but no one knew of her sleepless nights and the sorrow of not being able to return home.

Ning Xi approached Wan Caixuan and gently consoled her.

"Miss, please don't be upset. You still have me."

"I'm fine, don't worry," Wan Caixuan pushed aside her sadness and turned to face Ning Xi. "I just didn't anticipate their ruthlessness."

"Miss, what should we do next?"

"Since they've resorted to hiring assassins, it's clear they've given up even the pretense of peace," Wan Caixuan said. "We cannot afford to be passive. We must retaliate."

"Yes, Miss. I'm glad you see it that way. You were too lenient before, which emboldened them," Ning Xi agreed.

Wan Caixuan's face hardened. "Rest assured, Ning Xi. I won't be softhearted again. This assassination attempt is a blessing in disguise. It has made me see their true colors and their ruthlessness. Since I've decided to contend for the family's succession, I can't let those who support me down. Even though I'm at a disadvantage now, I won't give up. Let's start by gaining control of the Brilliant Aya Chemicals."

Ning Xi, seeing Wan Caixuan regain her determination, felt a sense of joy. "Miss, rest assured, I will always stand by your side. I have gathered all the basic information about Brilliant Aya Chemicals, including who our enemies are and who can be won over."

"Ning Xi, thank you."

"What are you saying, Miss? If it weren't for you, I would be dead by now."

Emotion flickered in Wan Caixuan's eyes, but she wasn't a person who expressed feelings easily. She swiftly changed the subject. "By the way, where did you find this bodyguard? He's quite impressive. Did you manage to dig up any information on him?"

"I couldn't find any information related to him," Ning Xi shook her head, her face resolute. "But Miss, Lin Xiao is definitely not a bad person. I first met him when he bravely stood up for me. He was shabbily dressed then, like a worker from the countryside, but his aura remains the same as now, unaltered. You have my assurance, Miss. Lin Xiao is absolutely trustworthy."

A smile played on Wan Caixuan's lips at Ning Xi's words. "Oh? You're putting your own reputation on the line. Let me guess, is it because you were saved by a hero and now you want to repay him with your affections?"

"Miss, don't be ridiculous." Ning Xi's cheeks flushed. "If you go by your logic, he saved you too. Are you also planning to repay him...?"

Realizing what she had just implied, Ning Xi halted mid-sentence. Her lady hated men and despite Lin Xiao saving her life, such a suggestion might offend her.

"I'm… I'm sorry, Miss..." Ning Xi quickly apologized.

"It's fine," Wan Caixuan reassured her, a curious glint flickering in her eyes.

1