Chapter 32: Fate
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Like a lotus arising out of clear water, naturally free of any embellishments. This phrase perfectly encapsulated Yuan Yu in this moment.

Dressed in a simple school uniform, her face devoid of any make-up, it was her clear and tender skin, and her fair and dewy face that made her more alluring than anyone else.

Particularly those sparkling beautiful eyes of hers, smiling at Lin Xiao, might be the epitome of the ancient saying, ‘A charming smile and beautiful eyes.’

Coming back to his senses, Lin Xiao subtly averted his gaze, gesturing towards the milk and buns on the table, "Little Yu, have your breakfast first."

Yuan Yu obediently nodded, slowly beginning to eat.

After breakfast, Lin Xiao, with Yuan Yu by his side, shut the door behind him, preparing to accompany her to school.

Yuan Yu studied at Guanglai High School, one of the premier high schools in Jinghai City. It was a private institution, with tuition fees to match its prestige.

Despite the hefty fees, Guanglai High School offered top-tier education. It was renowned not just within Jinghai City, but also throughout Jiangnan Province.

Almost every student graduating from Guanglai High School secured a place in an undergraduate program. The number of students accepted into top-tier domestic universities from this school was unmatched in Jiangnan Province, making it a reputed school in the truest sense.

The school had just over a thousand students. Due to the expensive tuition, students of this school either hailed from wealthy families or powerful backgrounds.

However, there were a select few, extraordinarily bright students who were given full scholarships. Yuan Yu was one of them. Otherwise, given her family's financial situation, she wouldn't have been able to afford to attend Guanglai High School.

In a nutshell, for the average person, admission into Guanglai High School was a much-coveted dream. Innumerable people yearned for a seat in this prestigious institution.

At this moment, the entrance of Guanglai High School was a parade of luxury cars, Rolls Royce Phantom, Ferrari, Bugatti Veyron, various limited-edition luxury cars, you name it, it was there.

Here, cars like BMW and Mercedes were as commonplace as any old car.

As Lin Xiao and Yuan Yu walked side by side, several students pointed at them, their eyes filled with surprise. Though their voices were not loud, Lin Xiao's sharp hearing picked up their conversation.

"Isn't that our school's belle, the icy beauty Yuan Yu? Why is there a guy next to her?"

"Yeah, Yuan Yu has never been seen socializing with any guy throughout her three years in high school. She's usually so aloof. Who's this guy?"

"No... Could he be her boyfriend? Oh my god, my goddess... That can't be, it just can't be!"

Upon hearing the students' chatter, Lin Xiao found himself surprised. He hadn't anticipated Yuan Yu to be the belle of the school with such a towering reputation. However, considering Yuan Yu's beauty, he found it reassuring, as it would be strange if she weren't celebrated as the school's beauty.

Yet, his comfort soon gave way to concern. Given Yuan Yu's fame, her being escorted to school by a man would undoubtedly stir up a sensation throughout Guanglai High School, inciting a whirlwind of gossip and rumors. While Lin Xiao was immune to such rumors and they wouldn't affect him, Yuan Yu was in the heart of the school and couldn't avoid this storm of whispers and chatter.

Pondering over this, Lin Xiao's brow furrowed. He had never envisioned that merely escorting Yuan Yu to school would have such repercussions.

Yuan Yu, walking beside Lin Xiao, seemed to sense his worry. She assured him in a gentle voice, "Don't worry, Lin. I'm not so fragile that a bit of gossip can break me."

"I'm sorry for the discomfort you have to go through," Lin Xiao replied, touched and resolving to himself never to let Yuan Yu suffer even a hint of unfairness in the future.

"Brother... Brother Lin..." Just then, a voice tinged with surprise came from nearby.

Recognizing the voice, Lin Xiao looked up to find a pretty girl of about seventeen or eighteen. Wearing a loose sky-blue school uniform, she had a petite, oval-shaped face, big eyes, and adorable dimples adorning her cheeks.

Brimming with excitement, she came up to Lin Xiao and said, "Brother Lin, do you remember me? I didn't expect to run into you here. I was about to ask for your contact information last time, but you left."

"Huang Caixing?" Lin Xiao was taken aback.

This was the same Huang Caixing he had saved from Lu Yufei's harassment on the bus.

"Brother Lin, you remembered me, that's wonderful." Hearing Lin Xiao call out her name, joy radiated from Huang Caixing's face, her voice echoing with excitement.

Lin Xiao smiled too, marveling at the intriguing webs of connection in the world.

"Eh, YuYu, you're with Brother Lin? Do you know each other?" Noticing Yuan Yu, Huang Caixing inquired.

"Yes, Brother Lin is a comrade of my brother," Yuan Yu responded, then turned to Huang Caixing with a hint of curiosity, "And how do you know Brother Lin?"

Yuan Yu knew that Lin Xiao was new to Jinghai City, and it had only been a few days. So how did he come to know her friend, Huang Caixing?

"He’s my lifesaver. Isn't that right, Brother Lin?" Huang Caixing looked at Lin Xiao with a hint of admiration in her eyes.

Smiling at her reaction, Lin Xiao said, "There's no need to fret, it was nothing more than a simple act of kindness."

"What do you mean 'a simple act'? If Brother Lin hadn't stepped in last time, I wouldn't have known what to do."

Under Huang Caixing's adoring gaze, Lin Xiao felt slightly uncomfortable. Clearing his throat, he steered the conversation elsewhere, "Do you know Little Yu?"

"Yes, YuYu is my best friend. I didn't expect you two to know each other. Had I known earlier, I would have sought you out sooner."

Lin Xiao's attempt to change the topic didn't work. Huang Caixing's bright eyes continued to gaze at him with admiration, and Lin Xiao could only offer a resigned smile in return.

Yuan Yu, watching her friend Huang Caixing with a love-struck expression and seeing Lin Xiao respond with a smile, felt a pang of jealousy, as though someone had taken her favorite toy. She coughed, then said, "Brother Lin, this is where we part ways. We're almost at our destination."

Already unsettled by Huang Caixing's gaze, Lin Xiao quickly replied, "Alright, I'll head out first. You both should hurry to class."

"Okay, goodbye Brother Lin," said Huang Caixing with a tinge of reluctance in her voice.

"Goodbye."

After watching the two girls vanish into the distance, Lin Xiao turned around and left to pick up Wan Caixuan from Jiangnan Floral Estates.

Not far from Guanglai High School, an affluent yet average-looking student with a menacing gaze sat in a Rolls Royce, his face contorted with displeasure as he watched Lin Xiao and Yuan Yu part ways.

"Damn, damn!" He seethed, his eyes full of resentment and anger as he fixated on Lin Xiao, "Fine, Yuan Yu. I've bent over backwards for you, with my whole heart, but you've always treated me with indifference. I thought you were genuinely pure, so I never pressured you. But to think, you've been keeping a secret lover. You've been playing me for a fool...just wait and see, I'll make you regret it!"

With his eyes filled with hatred and his face twisted in rage, the young student was shouting inside his car, like a man driven to madness.

1