Chapter 27
97 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Luo Ding unsurprisingly became popular on the internet.

Entertainment newspapers, media, fan forums, everywhere his figure could be found. The name "Luo Ding" became known to the public for the first time, relying on the filming information of the two works "Tang Chuan" and "Crouching Dragon".

Gu Yaxing browsed through the external email of Yaxing Studio, filled with various messy notices and invitations. From small TV stations, news broadcasts, magazine companies, to even some brand endorsements. This mailbox had never been so lively since the establishment of the studio until now. Even when Shusheng Bai and Hu Xiao were at their peak popularity, it was at most only half as bustling as it is now. He carefully clicked open an invitation for a commercial performance at a fitness center. The price had already reached thirty thousand yuan for an afternoon, which was quite high given Luo Ding's current popularity.

However, he only glanced through it roughly and rejected these activities with a few strokes of the keyboard.

Luo Ding had personally told him before that he would not accept any commercial activities or interview invitations in the near future. Gu Yaxing, as the boss of an entertainment company and Luo Ding's agent, could completely disregard his request. But when facing Luo Ding, he completely lacked the confidence to refuse. It was strange indeed. He also felt strange himself. Clearly, he wasn't usually so soft-spoken. How come he always felt somewhat inferior in front of Luo Ding?

But regarding Luo Ding's decision, Gu Yaxing generally agreed. Luo Ding currently didn't have any outstanding works to show, so it was too early to rush into making money. While popularity was useful, fans weren't unshakeable. Out-of-work appearances unrelated to projects must be handled with care. These small ribbon-cutting and platform activities, if not necessary, were better off avoided.

There was a light knock on the office door. Gu Yaxing's hand holding the mouse paused slightly, the smug smile on his face disappeared, replaced by a serious expression with furrowed eyebrows. "Come in."

Yang Kangding entered. He carefully glanced at Gu Yaxing's expression, feeling somewhat uneasy.

Actually, he used to get along quite casually with Gu Yaxing. Although they weren't as close as friends, it wasn't as hierarchical as it is now. But ever since Luo Ding was transferred out of his hands and led by Gu Yaxing personally, Gu Yaxing seemed to constantly express various dissatisfactions towards him.

Yang Kangding felt quite wronged! He knew that Gu Yaxing couldn't tolerate him treating Luo Ding unfairly in the past, but back then, how could he have known that this insignificant transparent person would rise to what he is today? With so many artists under his care, he wasn't just unfair to Luo Ding alone. Wasn't Gu Yaxing also just standing up for Luo Ding? Advancement was a natural progression, and he had to please Hu Xiao while also taking care of those less famous artists. Where was the spare time for all of this?

But Luo Ding unexpectedly made it big, and it happened right after leaving him. His rise to fame was like a rocket. Seeing the overwhelming entertainment news about Luo Ding these days, he couldn't help but wonder if the person he had ignored before didn't shine brightly because of being delayed by him.

Initially, when Gu Yaxing mentioned that Luo Ding wanted to leave, he still held onto the idea of watching a good show in the future. But now, he regretted it deeply.

"What's the matter?" Gu Yaxing only glanced at him and then lowered his head, his face full of businesslike seriousness.

Yang Kangding didn't dare to blabber. He placed the stack of documents in his hand on the desk and stood up straight to answer, "These are the recent work schedules of the artists under my management. Except for Hu Xiao, I want to push the others to make an appearance in the talent show held by Starry Sky next month. Can you see if this plan is feasible?" Yang Kangding had been nervously treading on thin ice in the company recently. He could only use this method to show Gu Yaxing that he realized his mistakes. In the past, he wouldn't have bothered to check whether the other artists under his management had work or exposure. But now, as a senior, he had to spend his days like those junior agents, busy seeking opportunities for the artists under him. Gu Yaxing was somewhat surprised as he took the plan and glanced at it, realizing Yang Kangding's intentions.

Sighing, he was, after all, an old employee of the company. He couldn't just beat him down because of his mistakes. Gu Yaxing didn't nitpick anymore and nodded in response, "I'll look into it carefully. You can go back to work."

Yang Kangding hesitated and opened his mouth, "Um... President Gu. Hu Xiao's new single will be released next weekend, and we're planning to organize a signing event to boost his popularity. Luo Ding is still quite popular recently. If it's convenient for him, could you arrange for him to accompany Hu Xiao at the event?"

Gu Yaxing's hand, flipping through the papers, paused, and he looked up at Yang Kangding without saying a word.

Yang Kangding felt ashamed. After all, he was the one who had treated Luo Ding harshly before. The two of them had a constant conflict before they parted ways, reaching a point where they couldn't stand each other. Even someone with thick skin like him shouldn't be thinking of benefiting from the success of someone he had previously mistreated. But Hu Xiao had been focusing on developing his career in the television industry these days, and his popularity in the music industry had declined significantly. The news about Luo Ding's collaboration album with Pan Yiming had been circulating heavily lately, coupled with his recent fame. If they could get him to attend Hu Xiao's signing event, the turnout would surely be considerable.

He was embarrassed by Gu Yaxing's gaze and before he could speak again, he saw Gu Yaxing lower his head and crisply reply, "Luo Ding has been busy lately."

"...I see." Yang Kangding tactfully exited the office. As he closed the door, he felt a pang of bitterness in his heart.

He had been a talent agent for so many years, hoping that one day he would bring out a big star. Now, the one he had been wholeheartedly supporting, Huxiao, was still struggling in the television industry. Meanwhile, Luo Ding, who he had previously mocked, was already making movies with Duan Xiubo. Fate was such an unpredictable thing. If he had known this day would come, he would never have treated them so differently back then. If he had left a door open, now he wouldn't be at a loss for words when the other party became popular.

Hu Xiao lay in the lounge, impatiently asking as soon as he saw him, "How's it going?"

"Luo Ding doesn't have time," he thought for a moment and decided not to mention Gu Yaxing's attitude to Hu Xiao, "You know, he's been filming 'Tang Chuan' and 'Crouching Dragon' lately, plus he has to attend some events related to Pan Yiming's album. He's really tight on time."

Hu Xiao's face soured after he finished the first half of the sentence, and it became even worse after the explanation.

"Huh," he sneered and leaned back in his chair, "Busy, huh? So busy that he can't even spare time for a signing event. Who does he think he is? A few online articles and he forgets his own name."

Thinking about how the little transparent guy, who used to depend on him for his livelihood, had turned the tables in such a short time, Hu Xiao kicked the table leg in frustration.

Yang Kangding also felt uncomfortable, but he still had to console him, "Why bother with him? You're a mainstream artist. He's just getting some attention online, and their levels are different. Besides, your relationship wasn't good before. Wouldn't it be awkward for you to be together? He's popular now, but he's also receiving criticism. Let's wait and see if the fans who were attracted by the photos from 'Tang Chuan' will stick around."

Hu Xiao lay back in the recliner, covering his face with a book, feeling stifled.

Luo Ding sneezed, covered his nose, made a muffled sound like a cat, and then resumed his gentle smile, "The weather has been fluctuating lately. Seems like I caught a cold."

Staring at his moist eyes, Shusheng Bai, sitting across the table, was momentarily speechless. After a pause, he continued to lower his head and slice the meat, "You still don't take care of yourself. What about Fangyuan? Didn't he remind you to dress warmly?"

Luo Ding's smile was somewhat forced, "It's alright. Oh, didn't you suddenly invite me to dinner today just to catch up?"

Shusheng Bai said, "How could it be! The commotion on Weibo was quite significant before, I was worried you might be affected. Now that the situation has turned around, and you have two films to shoot with overlapping schedules, and you lack experience, I'm afraid you might overwork yourself."

Every word he said revealed his care for Luo Ding. Luo Ding was touched, but he didn't really take it to heart. Shusheng Bai was indeed skilled at steering the conversation. When there was a lot of negative chatter on Weibo, he would call to console him, but he never mentioned meeting up. Now that the situation had reversed, he suddenly found time to meet. If it was just for a meal, who would believe it?

Sure enough, after saying this, not long after, Shusheng Bai casually brought up another topic, "How does it feel to shoot a movie for the first time?"

"It's pretty good, just that the director is too serious."

"You have scenes with Duan Xiubo this time, right? I saw his message on Weibo encouraging you. Are you two close?"

Luo Ding looked at him with suspicion.

Shusheng Bai seemed to ask casually, focusing on the food in front of him.

Luo Ding sneered inwardly but remained outwardly calm, "It's alright. Duan ge takes care of everyone. He's like the big brother on set. I don't know much, so he occasionally gives me some guidance."

This sentence seemed straightforward, but it didn't reveal any useful information. Shusheng Bai pondered over each word, hesitating whether to mention his plans afterward. He had come to Luo Ding not just for a meal; he was busy too. He felt bad about holding onto "Assassin" for so long. Xu Zhen could already take a few steps, and the auditions should be on the agenda. Although Shusheng Bai had invited many guests to various banquets during this time, he still lacked a truly heavyweight figure.

He was quite interested in Duan Xiubo, but such a big shot wasn't easy to invite. For this, Shusheng Bai had engineered several "coincidental encounters," and every time, Duan Xiubo was polite and courteous. But the next time they met, he still didn't remember who Shusheng Bai was.

So when he saw Duan Xiubo's encouraging words to Luo Ding on the popular Weibo posts, Shusheng Bai felt a glimmer of hope.

Unexpectedly, in the end, it was someone else who got associated with Duan Xiubo. But now, looking at it, Duan Xiubo's relationship with him might not be as close as he had thought.

Luo Ding didn't know what he was going to say, but he had a premonition that whatever it was, it would be closely related to him. Seeing Shusheng Bai pause after saying those words, he didn't press him, but instead put down his utensils and wiped his mouth, "I'll go wash my hands."

The restaurant near the film and television city was always a place where you could run into familiar faces.

When called by name, Luo Ding wasn't surprised. The voice sounded familiar, and he turned his head, his gaze passing through the foliage used as a cover, landing on the figure behind it.

The short screen door was slowly pushed open, and indeed, it was Duan Xiubo.

Duan Xiubo smiled, "What a coincidence. When I invited you to lunch earlier, you said you didn't have time, but now we've run into each other in the same restaurant."

Behind the short screen door, the female lead of "Crouching Dragon," the queen of the movie industry, Yuan Bing, peeked out and smiled at him.

"Duan ge, Sister Yuan." They were having a meal together? Luo Ding's gossip factor was active for a few seconds, then quickly calmed down. He gestured towards his seat, "I'm also here with friends." One sentence explained why he hadn't accepted Duan Xiubo's lunch invitation. Actually, to be honest, he didn't want to accept anyone's invitation. Both Su Shengbai and Duan Xiubo wanted to eat Western food, while he preferred Chinese cuisine. Their tastes didn't match.

"Friends?" Duan Xiubo's eyes carried a hint of teasing.

Luo Ding instantly understood the wild speculation behind those two words and smiled wryly, "Don't overthink it; they're really just ordinary friends. One of the former members of the band we formed in the company. Oh, he's gone solo now."

"Band, disband, solo..." These words carried meanings of past regrets in the entertainment circle. Duan Xiubo caught the hint of Luo Ding's impatience in his explanation and didn't ask further, secretly keeping this matter in mind. He didn't know much about Luo Ding's past, only vaguely aware that Luo Ding didn't seem as outstanding before. He had also heard some of Luo Ding's previous works, which were likely due to the company's small size and lack of resources, resulting in subpar songs from lyrics to melodies.

Another member of the group, he didn't care who it was. Duan Xiubo has always been impatient with people he has no connection to.

Meeting halfway, both were having dinner. They exchanged a few words before parting ways. Luo Ding continued to the bathroom, while Duan Xiubo, after returning to his seat, cast his gaze towards the spot Luo Ding had pointed to earlier.

Yuan Bing elegantly sliced a small piece of foie gras on her plate and said softly, "This young man Luo Ding looks quite promising, doesn't he? He's the one who reported to the crew on the 18th, right? I'll have scenes with him later. What's his style like? Seeing him in both 'Tang Chuan' and 'Crouching Dragon,' back when I was his age, I didn't have such good opportunities."

Duan Xiubo glanced at her, sensing a hint of curiosity in her words, and smiled wryly in response, "What are you thinking?"

Yuan Bing couldn't be too explicit, but she was genuinely curious. She could only be half-hidden, "Don't play dumb. Eight out of ten posts on my secondary page are about him. If this is marketing, it must cost quite a bit, right?"

"He's the real deal."

Yuan Bing obviously didn't believe it, showing a smile that seemed to imply she knew something but didn't say it outright, "I know you. You don't offend anyone. The real deal? How old is he, 23? 25? I was praised by so many directors as a genius when I was his age, but I was still a rookie."

Duan Xiubo didn't bother to explain. After all, the truth would be revealed after they worked together. He looked at the dishes in front of him, feeling no appetite, so he slowly sipped the water next to him.

Yuan Bing, uninterested, remarked, "Why do you always look so lifeless when we go out to eat?"

"Not in the mood."

"Are you pretending for my sake?" Yuan Bing rolled her eyes dramatically, devoid of any image or temperament.

Duan Xiubo retorted confidently, "Then I'll take you to a Sichuan restaurant. How about you pretend for my sake? Sister, spare me. If you're in any future projects, I won't dare to take them. I'll have to follow your lead both on and off stage. Life wouldn't be worth living."

Yuan Bing raised an eyebrow, lightly tapping her fork on the wine glass, "I'm begging you, put one-tenth of the kindness you show to strangers into your friendships."

"Not possible."

"You're so stingy." Yuan Bing assessed him with a goddess-like demeanor, then added, "Sichuan food won't do. I get pimples from eating spicy food."

Back at their seats, Shusheng Bai had already mentally prepared himself.

"You know I'm busy with a film now, right? It's the one I planned with Cao ge and Xu ge before."

The mention of Cao ge struck a nerve with Luo Ding. He bowed his head in silence for a moment before slowly picking up the knife again, "I remember."

"Didn't Cao ge have an accident? The filming for the movie is on hold now, there's no lead actor, and there's a shortage of funds." Shusheng Bai carefully worded his speech, then went through the plans he had discussed with Xu Zhen with Luo Ding again.

Luo Ding felt like a storm was brewing in his heart. He never expected these two to be so shameless! How could Shusheng Bai casually mention his name like that? Luo Ding couldn't find any guilt or remorse on his face. He had personally driven himself off the cliff, then after confirming Cao Dingkun's death, he posted a mournful message on Weibo. Luo Ding felt he had underestimated him. At that time, he thought that was the limit of shamelessness. But now, it seemed that limits were meant to be broken.

Listening to each seemingly sincere statement, Luo Ding knew deep down they were just using the deceased's plans. He felt everything around him quiet down, leaving only Shusheng Bai's clear voice.

After Shusheng Bai finished speaking, feeling he hadn't left any gaps, he raised his head only to meet Luo Ding's deep and dark eyes.

He was slightly startled. "What's wrong?"

Luo Ding stared at him, his gaze as if trying to suck him in. After a few seconds, he smiled without any hint of darkness, "Nothing, just that organizing auditions requires a lot of effort and expenses."

"This is also a way to increase visibility." Shusheng Bai didn't mind, full of expectations. "So we need a heavyweight guest. Just Cao ge's name isn't enough. Ah... I've been so busy with this lately, I haven't had time to eat."

"Heavyweight guest?" When Luo Ding said these words, he lowered his voice, each word slow and deliberate, as if they were being spat out from his throat, "Like Duan Xiubo and Yuan Bing?"

Hook, line, and sinker.

Shusheng Bai nodded eagerly, "Yes. Ah, I envy you. You get to see them every day on set."

Luo Ding clenched his fist under the table, his fingertips trembling uncontrollably. He couldn't show any abnormality on the surface. He knew Shusheng Bai was trying to make him suggest connecting the two sides, but he refused to take the bait.

Seeing him not taking the hint, Shusheng Bai pondered his wording earlier and realized he might have been too eager. He quickly tried to remedy it, "If you're free, you can also come to the auditions. Because of Cao ge's accident, there are quite a few roles vacant in the play. You're in 'Crouching Dragon' now, looking to break into the movie industry, right? 'Assassin' is also a rare opportunity."

Luo Ding suppressed the anger churning in his chest and spoke softly, "I will."

Suddenly, Duan Xiubo's voice came from the side, "Luo Ding, you're here."

The silent atmosphere was broken by these words. Luo Ding and Shusheng Bai both turned their heads and met Duan Xiubo's smile.

Shusheng Bai was ecstatic, feeling like he had just met God. His eyes sparkled with excitement as he stood up abruptly and stuttered a greeting, "D-Duan... Duan ge! You're here too?"

Duan Xiubo's response immediately disappointed him. He just smiled at him, his gaze and expression full of warmth. Despite having met so many times, he still couldn't remember who he was. "Hello, you're Luo Ding's good friend, right? Truly a talented young man like him."

Shusheng Bai didn't point out that the two had met many times. Saying it out loud would only be boring and ineffective at this point.

Hearing the familiar tone in the other's words towards Luo Ding, Shusheng Bai's internal scale of Luo Ding's importance immediately added another weight.

Duan Xiubo stared at Shusheng Bai for a while, feeling that this person seemed familiar, but he couldn't remember where he had seen him. He decided not to recall it directly.

After a few words with Luo Ding, he left the restaurant with Yuan Bing.

On the way, he pondered in his mind. This person didn't seem remarkable, not particularly good-looking, and his temperament was milquetoast. He didn't exude any presence when he spoke. Luo Ding's taste really wasn't that great; he actually made friends with him and even went out to lunch with him at a special time.

Hmph.


Pan Yiming adjusted the microphone and noticed Luo Ding daydreaming on the side.

This was really rare. Pan Yiming had never seen Luo Ding have an issue like this before. He always maintained a calm demeanor as if he had everything under control. Making a small mistake occasionally made him look human.

"A-Ding, what are you thinking about?" Pan Yiming was curious to death, eagerly leaning over and asking with wide-eyed anticipation.

Luo Ding was startled out of his reverie, but his expression was no different from before, a smile frozen on his face as if nothing had happened.

After fixing Pan Yiming's bangs, he gently replied, "Nothing. Are you ready?"

Pan Yiming was taken aback, her face flushed suddenly, then she jumped away in horror. "You're cheating!"

"... What?"

Seeing the other's confused expression, Pan Yiming stomped her foot in anger. How could Luo Ding be so affectionate like an elder brother just now?! He was only in his twenties! Was it okay for someone so young to use such intimate body language?

Pan Yiming took a deep breath, tugged at her skirt, and quickly regained her goddess demeanor. "It's nothing, I'm ready. What about you?"

The release party for the new album was held at the grand theater. Due to the high expectations for this work, the company organized a very grand event. They invited nearly a hundred TV and internet media outlets and had been promoting the event for a long time. The tickets were selling like crazy, indicating that the number of fans in attendance would be considerable.

Originally, they hadn't planned to invite Luo Ding to the event. But because of Luo Ding's recent popularity on Weibo, the company reconsidered and invited him as a special guest.

This event was different from the commercial events that Yaxing Studio was involved in. Just the fact that both the main stars and guest stars Pan Yiming and Wu Yuan would be present made this event overshadow Luo Ding's recent debut in the entertainment industry.

Being able to appear at such an event with them would also benefit Luo Ding's foundation. Despite being busy, Luo Ding managed to make time for it.

From backstage, they could hear the excited screams and chants of the fans outside.

Luo Ding's gaze was profound, as if he had traveled back in time to when he was still one of the kings of the music industry. At that time, Shusheng Bai hadn't appeared yet, and he and Xu Zhen supported each other, biting the bullet each week with their phone calls, persevering in their respective circles to carve out their own world. After so many years, he was back in that position again, becoming the newcomer who nervously awaited a response.

"What time is it?" Pan Yiming was also nervous. Now that she was releasing new songs less frequently, she wasn't sure what kind of reaction she would get from such a long-awaited new album.

Luo Ding glanced at his watch. It was 6:45.

"Fifteen minutes left," he said, pushing aside all the strange thoughts in his mind and smiling at Pan Yiming, extending his hand, "Don't worry, you can do it."

Pan Yiming clenched her fist and jumped in place a few times, then slapped his hand hard.

"I'm not scared of anything!"

Since this chapter is so long, there will only be a single chapter release today. See you tomorrow!

2