Chapter 71: A Warrior’s Path
237 5 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“It’s been a minute, Young’un. Glad that you’re back.”

Shesmu looked up to see Leonard’s cheery face smiling at him.

“Oh, Leonard. Didn’t expect to meet you twice—what a coincidence.”

The instructor pounced at Shesmu and put his bulky arm around his tiny neck, almost choking him in the process.

“What do you mean “What a coincidence”? Are you disappointed to see me again?”

 Shesmu struggled for breath, his face was turning blue from asphyxiation. “Dude stop, your bear hands are going to give me a one-way ticket to church.”

“Haha, don’t we all need that? With all the rampaging you did a month ago, I’m sure you have a lot to confess.”

Leonard eased up his armlock, letting Shesmu finally breathe. He looked down at his disciple with a smile on his face. Even though his frame looked feeble, he knew that he was a beast that no one could trifle with.

But… that’s exactly where the problem lies.

Leonard’s smile disappeared and a serious face took its stead. He walked a few steps in front of Shesmu before turning to face him. The latter’s rapid breath had finally subsided.

“Shesmu,” Leonard said with a clear voice and serious tone. “Do you remember the lesson I taught you a month ago, here on this same floor?”

Shesmu looked up at his instructor before casually answering, “If you mean the three basic moves of the warrior, then yes, I-”

“Not that,” Leonard cut Shesmu. “Those are but the teachings of the body. What I’m talking about is the teaching of the heart.”

Shesmu’s eyes looked up for a second in thinking before they widened in enlightenment. His right hand subconsciously reached for his golden eyes.

“You are talking about these?” Shesmu inquired, but certainty was clear in his voice.

Leonard didn’t answer.

Seeing him act this way, Shesmu straightened his posture and answered, “My sword is my limb, it shall never leave my side. My eyes are my duty and responsibility, and with them, I shall protect and lead the people of this nation.”

Leonard’s stoic expression became more joyful with each word Shesmu uttered. “Great. That’s great. As a holder of the sword, and as a holder of those eyes, that is your duty and responsibility.”

His eyes drifted towards the exit of the dojo before continuing. “But with that said, you already know what you are supposed to learn. So there is only this that I owe you.”

A ding ringed in Shesmu’s ears before a notification appeared in front of him.

 

Mental Teaching Activated

Do you accept the connection?

Yes | No

 

Shesmu accepted, and after a series of notifications, he received the three basic warrior skills: Empowered Slash, Empowered Thrust, and Dash.

“Well, since we’re done with this part, let’s get going, shall we?”

Shesmu followed after Leonard. The two exited the dojo and made their way through the hallway. Shesmu glanced at Thomas’s desk only to find it empty.

Leonard noticed Shesmu’s thoughts and responded. “Thomas was unfortunately relocated this past month. He has a job up there in the capital right now.”

There was a hint of sorrow in Leonard’s voice; one that he canceled as quickly as it came. Remembering the two’s interactions last time, Shesmu couldn’t help but let out a relieved smile. It seemed that the two shared a long history together.

Leonard led Shesmu to the training plaza. The same one where he unlocked his connection to the ether field and achieved the Resonance level. The same one where he first met and fought Ryan.

Thinking back to his friends, Shesmu showed a concerned look. Well, there is nothing I can from here. I can only hope that they don’t encounter too problematic of an obstacle in their part of the plan.

“Young’un,” Leonardo started. “Normally, after this point, I should have you go and mingle with the rest of your kin in preparation of the next phase of the trial. But, since we both know that none of the trials would pose a threat to you even when alone. I decided that we should do something a bit more productive.”

He sat down on the sandy ground and invited Shesmu to do the same. His jovial look was no more, which made Shesmu understand that the topic to be brought up was a serious one.

“Listen here, young’un. This is something that I should have told you a month ago but didn’t. When you reach the city, you need to understand a few rules. Don’t bring up trouble with anyone. In this land, might is right—and not even your shiny eyes could get you out of a trial by combat. Do you understand me?”

Shesmu nodded. He, of course, already knew about this. However, that didn’t mean that he wouldn’t heed to this advice. He knew that the monsters that resided in the capital were more numerous than ants in an anthill. And that no matter the advantages of having knowledge from the future, he would still not be able to truly hold his own for the short term.

Leonard acknowledged Shesmu’s nod with one of his own. He slapped his thighs and hopped back up with a grin.

“Okay, since we’re done with that talk now, let me teach you one final thing.”

Shesmu raised his eyebrow in surprise, but he followed after Leonard with no complaint. The two walked a few steps before the latter turned around—a red aura gushing from every pore of his body. An immense pressure drowned Shesmu to the point where he could barely breathe. His legs gave out and he kneeled on the ground in front of Leonard.

“Young’un. This will be my final gift to you before you set on your own journey. The ability to face your fears, your demons, and even death in the eyes—that’s the true essence of the warrior's path.”

4