Chapter 11: Third Time’s The Charm
774 22 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Which novel title do you like the most?
  • A Sword Across Time Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Origin Across the Divide Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hindsight Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Ashes of God: Return of the Blade Emperor Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Blades of Times Past Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ashes of Gods: Reborn Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Ashes of Gods: Legacy of Chronus Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Ashes of the Past Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Re: Sword Emperor Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Re(Boot): Sword Emperor Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 40

When the gates of heaven opened, Humanity stepped into a desolate world. Ravaged by the thousand year of war, the triads were saved by the holy humans. The founders with their holy might united the world under the banner of the empire. Thus, the world saw prosperity it hasn’t seen since time long gone. — The Coming Of Humanity, by the scholars of The Holy Empire of Men

 

Shesmu stood in front of the training dummy while holding his sword with one hand. His eyes were closed and breath steady. He stood still, not moving in the slightest. However, while he showed no sign of aggression externally, Shesmu was waging a more decisive war, and its battlefield was in his mind.

Taking a deep breath, Shesmu replayed the sequence of attacks he just did in his mind. As if his mind was a Slow-motion camera, he saw himself making that attack slowly. He noticed every detail, every breath he took, the speed by which his sword was moving, its angle and more.

 The sword kept slashing and Shesmu kept observing. Slash after slash, he would observe the most minute details. Every time, he would become much better and more proficient.

Shesmu imagined himself raising the sword again. In his mind, he slashed and with his slash time slowed. His eyes measured the distance between the sword and the dummy, its speed, its angle. From that information, he calculated the exact moment in which he should activate his skill. 

Counting under his breath, Shesmu reached 2 before the green energy started gathering on his abdomen.

‘Stop—’

Stopping his imagination dead in its track, Shesmu felt his hands become slippery. Sweat dripped down from his forehead and the palms of his hands. He shortly gasped for air before looking at the training dummy.

 

Okay, let’s do it for real this time’

Shesmu took hold of his sword with both hands, gripping its handle tightly. He raised his sword and swung diagonally towards the dummy. As it closed in, Shesmu once again activated Empowered Slash.

“Shhh!”

Same as in his imagination, a big red 175 appeared above the dummy’s head. He failed again. Looking at it, Shesmu saw a gash on the training dummy’s neck before it got instantly healed. That was considered a weak spot, as the dummy was representing a humanoid creature, thus the higher than standard damage.

Shesmu didn’t mind the failure, it was part of the process. In fact, he elated. His last swing felt good, it was close.

Third time's the charm, let’s do this.

For a third time Shesmu took hold of his sword, and with both hands raised it at the level of his forehead. He swung it diagonally, and as the sword closed on the dummy, he activated his skill.

“Swoosh!”

A bright green light in the form of a slash appeared in the air for a second before dissipating. A gash, bigger than ever before, made its way through the dummy’s neck before slowly healing. And, most surprising of all, two numbers appeared above the dummy. A small blue 74, and a big red 175 were on top of each other.

Looking at those magical numbers, Shesmu, whose expression was grim since he reached this world, finally softened. A rare smile appeared on his face.

Finally, something good.

However, he didn’t let his excitement get the better of him. He recalled back all the movements that he did, the breaths he took, everything and burnt it into his memory. 

“Clap, clap, clap.”

Snapping out of his reverie, Shesmu turned around to the sound of Leonard clapping.

“That was a marvelous technique. May I know its name?” Leonard said respectfully, his usual joking tone nowhere to be seen.

To this question, Shesmu pondered for a second. The move did have a name, but it was more popular among players and he never heard an NPC say it before. In the end, he just pushed those thoughts to the side and answered.

“This move is inspired by a type of technique called animation cancels. This one specifically shall be named Empowered Slash Cancel.”

“Interesting name, Empowered Slash Cancel, I’ll keep it in mind.” Leonard looked like a student taking notes from his professor as he said those words. 

“It’s the first time that I have ever seen anything like that. Were you a swordsman before coming here?”

Leonard’s question made Shesmu feel complicated emotions. “Something of the sort, yes.”

“Marvelous. A holder of golden eyes but also master of the sword. What an unusual combination.”

Leonard’s unusual statement left Shesmu speechless. I didn’t know that nobles couldn’t hold the sword.

Leonard coughed before continuing, “Anyway, there are still a few things you need to learn before going on your way. Two skills. Empowered Thrust and warrior’s Dash. Weak in the hands of the unskilled, but unbelievably lethal when used by a master. And you, my friend, are one. I can’t wait to see the rampage you’ll unleash once you learn these skills. Hahaha!”

As Leonard continued laughing like a madman, Shesmu just smiled in response. Somehow, the jovial, feral nature of this man made Shesmu like him.

“Haha, so let me show you. This is how you do an Empowered thrust…”

While Leonard continued explaining, Shesmu’s brain just shut off. While his ears did hear the words, his brain could no longer process them. Shesmu was tired. His breath was heavy, and cold sweat dripped from his forehead. He closed his eyes and focused completely on recovering his strength.

By the end of Leonard’s demonstration, which Shesmu completely ignored, he gained two skills.

 

Dash

Tier: 0

Level: 1

Cost: 20 Energy

Rapidly moves you anywhere within a 5 meters radius.

 

Empowered Thrust

Tier: 0

Level: 1

Cost: 30 Energy

Base Damage: 50 + 125% Attack Damage.

 

The description of Dash barely gave any information, but Shesmu knew that the skill had many limiting factors. For example, the skill didn’t work well at the edge of its radius when the terrain is not even. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Someone probably already knew the specific details regarding this in his past life, but Shesmu couldn’t bother at the time looking it up, and for sure won’t bother racking his brain for an answer now. As for Empowered Thrust, it was basically Empowered Slash, but with a thrust. Not really that exciting.

“You are now a warrior. A beast in man’s skin, a demon on the battlefield. Remember! Your sword is now your limb, and no one ever forgets his limbs! It should always be in your hand, even in your sleep. The woods are cunning, the veil of the night is where the demons sleep! Now, go! Finish your training and become a true warrior of this Great Pliyx Stal Kingdom. A noble’s duty is to be the spearhead in face of danger, a protector of the citizens! Never forget that!”

Leonard’s aura shifted once he started his speech. No longer was he the amiable middle-aged man, he returned to his steel cold, eyes of the beast Leonard Shesmu saw when he first came into this world.

Understanding the importance of the speech and the severity of the tone, Shesmu respectfully nodded and said, “Understood. I shall keep those words to heart.”

Leonard’s eyes stayed cold and his lips glued together. That was before he brought out the biggest smile Shesmu had ever seen

“Hahaha, good good,” Leonard repeated as he hugged Shesmu. He then let out and looked at him.

“You’re now a brother. All warriors of this land are brothers in arms. We care for each other, we help each other in times of need, and we all stand together—both against the viles and vile humans.”

He then showed the way towards the exit of the dojo.

“Come, I shall show you around the place.”

Shesmu was a bit surprised by the whole ordeal, but in the end, he decided to just go with the flow. 

As they were leaving the dojo, Shesmu looked around to see the ghosts still practicing. As he looked around, a fleeting thought crossed his mind. Between these hundreds of nameless ghosts, maybe one of his old friends was out there practicing, and he would never know.

However, just as he was about to be engulfed by that train of thought, Leonard’s voice snapped him back to reality.

“Hey, Thomas! Come here!”

A scrawny man came running forward. The moment he saw Shesmu, his eyes dilated in shock and he stopped in place. He immediately bowed and greeted in a loud voice.

“Greetings, your grace!”

Shesmu scanned the man with his eyes. He was wearing a green suit coat, black pants, and a red bowtie to compliment his suit. Although his dark hair was balding, it was well combed.

Shesmu’s eyebrows wiggled in confusion as he looked at the man. Weird choice of clothes, he thought.

“Hahaha! Thomas! What an exaggerated greeting, you look like you’ve seen a ghost!”

While Leonard kept laughing obnoxiously, Thomas’ fist shook in anger.

“Leonard! How barbaric! How can you talk like that in front of his grace, do you not know any shame?!”

Standing by the sidelines, Shesmu resisted the urge to laugh. Looking at Thomas berating Leonard in a deep British accent while the latter just continued laughing loudly was a moment to remember.

“Anyway, this gentleman here, ehh—” Leonard looked in Shesmu’s direction, embarrassed.

“My name is Shesmu.” 

“Thanks,” Leonard curtly replied before focusing back on Thomas. “So, Shesmu still needs to continue his registration process. Can we get done with that already?”

“It’s his GRACE Shesmu!” Thomas shouted at Leonard before bowing in the direction of Shesmu. “I’m deeply sorry, your grace. This brute has no clue about the etiquette of high society.”

“Ah, it’s okay, Thomas. I don’t mind.” Shesmu paused for a second before continuing, “But nevermind that, we should start with the registration.”

“Right away, your grace.” Thomas then ran towards his desk to prepare a chair. “Please, your grace Shesmu, take some rest.”

Shesmu looked at Leonard. The latter just shrugged with his shoulders and smiled, not caring what Shesmu did. In the end, Shesmu accepted Thomas’ invitation and sat down.

After Shesmu sat down, Thomas went back to his desk and started rummaging for something. After a few seconds, he finally found what he was looking for. He came in front of Shesmu while holding a golden paper.

“Aha, finally. Here, your grace, this is the paper of light. Only such paper is worthy for someone of your stature.”

Shesmu took hold of the paper and started reading it. It was some kind of birth certificate, but for nobles. While reading, Shesmu found a certain paragraph that piqued his interest.

“Hey, Thomas. It says here “Prospective High Noble”. What does that mean, exactly?”

Thomas took back the golden paper before responding, “Yes, your grace. His majesty the king, and milords the highs decided that any man or woman of the golden generation whose hair or eyes are golden would be given the prospective title. For your grace, it means that you shall be respected as a high through the land. However, you aren’t granted land until you become a full-fledged noble, which I’m sure you will.”

Listening to Thomas’ speech, Shesmu remembered that in his past life there was this event where all noble players gathered. He had a hunch that this thing about the prospective title was related somehow to that event.

“Interesting, tell me more. How do I become a true high noble.”

“Yes, your grace. Once a year, young masters come from far and wide to the capital. Their purpose is one, to prove that they are able to lead their people and be victorious. Every noble that reached the age of adulthood is given a small army and a base. And for a full month, they wage war against each other. Nobles that captured two bases other than their own are the winner. His majesty the king rewards them, and they’re declared full-fledged nobles as according to their birthright.”

Shesmu took a few seconds to absorb this deluge of information. The first question that came to his mind was when did this gathering even happen? However, Shesmu forwent to ask this question as it wasn’t of interest to him right now. He could always find out later. What was more important for him now was to get done with the registration process and start slashing things.

“That’s interesting, I will definitely keep it in mind. Thanks, Thomas.”

Understanding Shesmu’s signal to drop the subject, Thomas sat up and said, “It’s my pleasure, your grace. Please wait for a moment as I get the seal. We can then finish with the registration.”

Thomas went back to his desk and rummaged once again. He took out a golden seal from within the pile of papers and random stuff. He kneeled in front of Shesmu before presenting him with the seal.

“Your grace, the seal needs your blood to remember your soul. Please put it on your thumb for a few seconds.”

Shesmu took the seal from within Thomas’ hand and put it on his thumb. It stung for a bit, and blood dripped into it for a few seconds before Shesmu took it off.

“Thank you, your grace. You shall now be officially given the title of High Noble. May you guide this land to glory!”

With those words, Thomas stamped the paper of light. It glowed in a thousand different colors before disintegrating into colorful particles.

Remember to rate and add the story to your reading list here on SH.

Also, don't forget to heart the chapter if you really liked it.

Finally, if you wish to support me and get access to advance chapters (up to 12), then you can check out my patreon

26