Chapter 1 – The Mysterious Youth
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a bright spring day in March, with warblers chirping among willows and sparkling waves rippling on the blue river. The southern land was basking in its splendid springtime glory.

 

On the bustling West Street of Yingtian County, a young man in plain clothes walked slowly, leading his horse by the reins. He gazed around with curiosity, taking deep breaths of the intoxicating floral fragrance in the air.

 

"I'm back!"

 

Looking at the bustling crowd and listening to the melodious patois, he felt a sense of familiarity and warmth. Everything smelled so familiar. He had dreamt of returning to his hometown countless times, and now his dream had finally come true.

 

"I was only fifteen when I left home," the young man in plain clothes thought to himself.

 

Back then, he was a sharp-edged and high-spirited young man. Now, after traveling the world, he realized how naive he had been.

 

Walking through the bustling streets and crossing the ancient and majestic White Tiger Bridge, the young man in plain clothes arrived at a grand mansion. Two stone lions, taller than a man, stood guard at the gate. The tall gate plaque was inscribed with two large red characters: Qin's Home.

 

He stood there for a moment, took a deep breath, and stepped forward to knock on the door ring.

 

"Who is it?" A hoarse voice came from inside.

 

The door slowly opened, and a white-haired old man appeared at the door.

 

"Uncle Li, it's me," the young man said with a smile.

 

The old man was taken aback for a moment. He looked up and down at the young man in front of him and finally recognized him.

 

"Second Young Master, you're back!" The old man was visibly excited, his voice trembling.

 

The old man's surname was Li. He had fled to Yingtian Prefecture during a famine more than 20 years ago. At that time, Old Master Qin was still alive. Seeing how pitiful he was, he took him in and let him work as a doorman in the Qin's Home. Old Li was a loyal man, and the masters treated him like family. Everyone called him "Uncle Li." After not seeing each other for several years, Uncle Li's back had bent and his eyes had dimmed.

 

Uncle Li took the reins from the young man's hand and shouted at the top of his lungs:

 

"The Second Young Master is back! The Second Young Master is back!"

 

His shouts startled a flock of birds.

 

Not long after, a middle-aged woman dressed in luxurious clothes walked out of the mansion, followed closely by a maid.

 

"Muyun,my son! Is it really you?" The woman looked at the tall and thin young man in front of her, still unable to believe her eyes.

 

Muyun Qin was no longer the youthful and inexperienced young man he had been six years ago. His face was now well-defined, firm but not without its elegance. His dark eyes were bright but slightly weather beaten.

 

"Mother! Your unfilial son Muyun Qin has returned." Seeing his mother, the young man in plain clothes knelt down on the ground.

 

Seeing that it was indeed her beloved son whom she had been thinking about day and night, Qin's mother stepped forward and hugged him tightly, bursting into tears. "You still know how to come back! Do you not care about your father and me anymore? You heartless brat!"

 

"It is my unfilial son's fault for causing you to worry, Mother." Looking at his mother's gray hair, Muyun Qin 's heart ached, and tears welled up in his eyes.

 

The mother and son hugged each other and wept for a long time before they finally separated.

 

Qin's mother turned to the maid Xiaohong and instructed her: "Go and invite the master back home, and tell him that the Second Young Master has returned home."

 

Xiaohong nodded and ran off.

 

Gang Qin, Muyun Qin's father, was in his forties. He was eight feet tall, with a broad back and a strong waist. His eyes were like lightning, and he was stern even without anger. He was one of the three Silver Badge Constables of Yingtian Prefecture, ranked second. He was skilled in using a large knife. He lost an arm while chasing a fugitive many years ago, hence he was known as "One-armed of buddha's warrior attendant" Qin Second Master.

 

Gang Qin returned home at dusk.

 

Seeing his youngest son who had been away for six years, he could not help but feel his chest warm and his throat choked.

 

"Father." Muyun Qin called out.

 

"Muyun!" Seeing his youngest son whom he hadn't seen for six years, Gang Qin's eyes became moist and his throat choked.

 

Although men are ambitious, the outside world is full of dangers. As a father, even though he didn't say it, he couldn't help but worry. What father could bear to see his son suffer outside?

 

"It's good to be back. Have you seen your mother?" Gang Qin was filled with relief when he saw that his son had not only grown taller, but also had a bit more of the firmness and calmness on his face that experienced suffering.

 

"I have." Muyun Qin replied.

 

"Eh?" Suddenly, Gang Qin's eyes narrowed, and he looked at his son in surprise.

 

"I broke through two and a half years ago." Muyun Qin smiled.

 

Although he had vaguely guessed it, hearing this news was still too shocking. Gang Qin was speechless for a long time. Only after a long time did he burst out into laughter like thunder.

 

"Good, good, good boy! You really did it!" Gang Qin could no longer suppress the excitement in his heart, and he said three good words in a row.

 

Gang Qin knew that his son was cultivating the art of immortality, and it would not be easy to achieve success. Even though his son was extremely talented, who would have thought that this kid would have broken through in just six years? Looking at the entire Wu Kingdom, such a person was as rare as a phoenix feather or a unicorn horn.

 

This surprise came too suddenly, it was like a stone breaking the sky, no wonder even the usually calm Gang Qin lost his composure.

 

"Ancestors bless in heaven, our family is finally about to rise!"

 

Barely suppressing his excitement, Gang Qin grabbed his son's hand and walked towards the inner house. "Come on, my son, let's go inside."

 

Qin's Home Inner House Flower Hall.

 

Madam Qin personally cooked a table full of Muyun Qin's favorite dishes, and Gang Qin even poured wine for his son himself.

 

After a few cups of wine, Muyun Qin didn't see his elder brother coming, so he asked his mother, "Why don't I see elder brother?"

 

Muyun Qin had an elder brother who was seven years older than him, named Yun Qin. From childhood to adulthood, Yun Qin had always loved and cared for this younger brother. Whenever his younger brother was bullied, his elder brother would always stand up to protect him. When he wanted to go out to travel, his mother refused to let him, and it was his elder brother who repeatedly persuaded his mother to agree. Before he left, his elder brother also gave him a precious sword that he had bought with a lot of money. Three years ago, he received a letter from his elder brother, saying that he had already married and had a pair of lovely children.

 

Today was supposed to be a day for the family to reunite, but his elder brother was nowhere to be seen.

 

Madam Qin only sobbed when she heard this.

 

Muyun Qin's heart sank, and he looked at his father.

 

Gang Qin finished the wine in his cup in one gulp, sighed heavily, and then said:

 

"You just got home, and it was a hard journey. I originally wanted to tell you tomorrow. Since you asked, I'll just tell you. Your elder brother is seriously ill and has been bedridden for half a year."

 

"What illness does my brother have?" Muyun Qin knew that his eldest brother had been practicing martial arts since childhood and had always been in good health. Minor injuries or illnesses would usually heal quickly. However, now he had been bedridden for six months, and the prospects seemed grim.

 

Gang Qin said, "Since your eldest brother moved into the new house six months ago, he has inexplicably contracted this strange illness. At first, he experienced weakness in his limbs, palpitations, and shortness of breath. Later, his eyes became dull, and he became unresponsive to calls. For the past six months, I have sought medical advice and tried various remedies, but to no avail. The day before yesterday, your mother went to the temple to seek a divination, and it was said that he had offended an evil spirit. Helpless, today I invited a monk from the Iron Barrier Temple to perform a ritual to dispel the evil at your eldest brother's house."

 

As they were talking, a servant suddenly came to report that the chief constable had arrived.

 

The chief constable's name was Tian Xing, one of the three renowned God-catchers of the Ying Tian Prefecture, ranking third. He was skilled in wielding a thick iron and fire staff.

 

Although both were God-catchers, they mainly discussed official matters and had little personal interaction. It was the first time Tian Xing had come uninvited.

 

Gang Qin didn't dare to delay and got up to greet him.

 

Muyun Qin followed his father to the front hall and saw a towering man approaching. He stood at least nine feet tall, broad-shouldered and stout, with a face full of whiskers as sharp as steel needles. He carried a large iron staff in his hand, about as thick as a child's arm and weighing at least eighty to ninety catties.

 

"Old Xing, what brings you here?" Gang Qin saw the luggage on Tian Xing's back and knew that something important must have happened, so he didn't beat around the bush.

 

Tian Xing glanced at the young man beside Gang Qin, feeling slightly surprised, and then said, "Old Qin, the prefect has given an order for both of us to go to the yamen together. It seems there is an important matter to discuss." He paused for a moment and added, "It seems they have discovered the traces of the Thirteen Great Bandits."

 

Gang Qin's brow furrowed.

 

The Thirteen Great Bandits were notorious criminals whose infamy spread far and wide. Seven years ago, he lost his right arm to them. Afterwards, these vile thieves seemed to have vanished into thin air, and no matter how the authorities searched, they couldn't find any clues.

 

Gang Qin went back to his room to fetch his weapons and luggage. Before leaving, he instructed his son, "Your mother is not in good health. After I leave, you should spend more time with her at home. Your eldest brother lives ten miles outside the east city, and the gatekeeper, Old Li, knows the way. You can ask him to take you there tomorrow."

 

 

After saying these words, Gang Qin mounted his horse, and Tian Xing rode alongside him.

 
0