[ Chapter 0 ]
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was never introduced to her. I just - - - - noticed - - - - her one day. I asked her if she was new here. She was wearing the uniform, so I thought she was a new hire.

She didn’t answer, just made a faint smile, and since she looked busy, I chose to let the conversation die prematurely.

Her name tag simply said [ lina ] and I thought it was weird that the name was not capitalized.

Other than that she appeared normal at first. She’s a blonde, a bit taller than me, but definitely not above average, with eyes of non-color, which you could have called gray or brown if you really wanted to.

Plain features, no tattoos, nothing . . . Intriguing. I was a little disappointed because I was bored of the people here.

. . .

The next day I saw her, I found out she had a fang. Like, on her wrist. Slightly curved like cobra’s, bone-white.

I don’t fucking know if it should even be called [ fang ] but I don’t suppose we have a name for something like that, do we?

For a second, I thought it best to ignore it politely. 

[ lina ] glared at me, she knew that I saw it. Her expression was almost blank. I don’t know if I imagined her making a slight grin or not.

What do I say what do I say what do I say what do I say-

She put a finger to her lips, silencing me.

And so I said nothing. It was the [ unimportant detail ] ¹ at [ unimportant detail ] ² where I worked so I just left and escaped this situation.

I should have never returned.

. . . 

I tried to not be weirded out by her.

I googled [ wrist fangs ] [ wrist protrusions ] [ wrist spines ] [ bone mutation wrists ] [ . . . ] but it got no useful results.

And it wasn’t all that was different about her, I learned quickly.

. . .

[ lina ] could detach her [ unimportant detail ] ³ arm.

I witnessed it on the [ unimportant detail ] ⁴ after work. She was smoking with one arm and her other arm was on the table in front of her. It didn’t look like a prosthetic to me, but then I have never met people with those.

I didn’t ask. She didn’t explain.

Actually, I don’t think I ever heard her speak

. . .

She didn’t have a [ unimportant detail ] ⁵ ear.

She just didn’t. Instead, there was a patch of bare skin.

Her other ear, well . . . Often she was bleeding black liquid from it.

Once I even got her tissues to clean it up.

. . . 

Later I realized no one else was - - - - noticing - - - - her differences.

- LOOK SHE IS BLEEDING SOMETHING BLACK FROM HER EAR -

- SHE SHOULD STOP [ unimportant detail ] ⁶ -

- WHAT THE FUCK -

It’s what I wanted to yell but my coworkers didn’t show even a hint of being bothered by [ lina ] so I stayed silent.

. . .

Okay, [ my name ], - I thought to myself one of these days, - There is a very simple explanation, girl . . . You just got a bit sick. It’s called schizophrenia when you see strange things no one else does, right? It’s okay, it’s okay, people learn to live with it and have okay lives . . .

After a [ unimportant detail ] ⁷ of this, I went to my superior to try asking about her.

- Yeah, [ lina ]? What about her? Did something happen?

- Weird how? Wouldn’t say I - - - - noticed - - - - anything.

- I mean, maybe one strange thing is that [ hysterical coworker ] seems to be getting along with her, heh.

I also considered just being direct with her and asking what’s up, but I was too scared at that point.

I gave up.

I decided to just do my best ignoring her for a while. What I considered delusions didn’t get in the way of my work too much. And I was not ready to admit I was delusional and seek help.

So I just existed with a nightmare in my waking life that was [ lina ]

. . .

I should have run.

I should have run.

I should have run.

I should have run.

I should have run.

I should have run.

I should have run.

I should have run.

I should have run.

I should have-

. . .

It really is my own fault that I am being dissected by her right now.

. . .

I ended work as always. Left the workplace. Made a turn at the street towards home, through the park. It was a sunny, perfect summer evening, beautiful light was pouring through trees...

And there was [ lina ] standing right in the middle of the path, waiting. Waiting for me, I realized moments later.

Awesome, [ my name ], - I thought, - We’re starting to see her outside work. Tomorrow first thing I’m registering for psychiatrist appointm-

[ blur ]

She crossed [ unimportant detail ] ⁸ distance between us in an instant and crashed into me.

Her ‘fangs’ - turns out she had them on [ both ] arms - dug into my flesh.

I collapsed.

I wanted to cry for help, to push her away, to fight back, but I couldn’t.

[ lina ] ripped clothes off my stomach and tore it up.

. . .

And so here I am in the present, bleeding on the pebble path, with my entrails on the outside.

With [ lina ] running her fingers through them, as if she was searching for something.

[ omitted detail ] [ omitted detail ] [ omitted detail ]

There was sort of gentleness to her moves. It’s like she was not more violent than it was necessary.

It didn’t hurt very much. It just felt-

WRONG

WRONG

WRONG

WRONG

WRONG

WRONG

WRONG

WRONG

WRONG

WR-

She opened me in a few other places, but that didn’t seem to satisfy her.

She shuffled and disappeared from my field of sight.

[ unimportant detail ] ⁹ [ unimportant detail ] ¹⁰

I heard a clicking noise. When she returned to my sight, she had one of her arms replaced with an insect-looking limb with a sharp edge like of a mantis.

And now she had a thin white spike on her forehead. Kind of like her ‘wrist fangs’, I guess, but much longer.

She was smiling, faintly as always, just maybe more - - - - honestly - - - - than before. 

She’s a fucking unicorn. Alien? Insect? Robot? . . . A fucking SCP . . . WHY WHY WHY WH-

I tried to wriggle but it was no use.

What followed was [ lina ] cutting my skull.

My vision was turning blurry and I could only see her vague shape shifting around as she [ worked ] on my head with her ‘mantis limb’.

I’m tearing up, I realized. Even though I was beginning to feel detached from what was happening.

An unpleasant-yet-pleasant chill suddenly enveloped my head. Is that how it is when your living brain is exposed?

Then-

[ kl;'c,zd4x4df4f4dgvdg.dzp`dsr/ė0ęė ]

I think she touched my brain.

. . .

I think I heard her sigh in relief. 

I think she lowered her head towards mine.

I think a drop of her black liquid fell on my face.

I think her 'unicorn horn' stabbed into my brain.

. . .

Into some specific organ that I wasn’t educated to know about, but it probably had an intriguing-sounding name like all of them.

And then I was no longer [ unimportant detail ] ¹¹ - - - -


¹  End of the night shift

²  Packing plant

³  Left

⁴  Independence Day

⁵  Right

⁶  Handling unpacked food

⁷  Month

⁸  About a hundred meter

⁹  There was no one but me and her as far as I could see

¹⁰ The park never had many visitors so it’s not surprising

¹¹ Alive

1