Chapter 11: Investigation
3.3k 13 84
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With basically a week to spare, I got roped into investigating's Carl's father.

Carl: {My father requires at least two days to return to his territory. We can arrive at my house before him to investigate if you fly me there.}

{I don't wanna.}

That's right. I felt I have been treated pretty badly by him and have decided to go on a strike.

Carl: {Please...}

I could hear the desperation in his voice. I guess no one wants to believe that their father is involved in a crime.

Since I felt bad for him, I decided to obliged. Of course, I won't do it for free: {Fine, but you owe me one.}

He immediately brightened up and climbed into my cockpit. Once he had his seatbelt on, I activated stealth and took off from the ground.

{Next destination, your house!}

I flew in the direction of his house, using the skill 《Charge》 whenever the cooldown ends. 

[Charge has leveled up from Level 2 to Level 3.]

[Increased Mp Recovery has leveled up from Level 7 to Level 8.]

[Charge has leveled up from Level 3 to Level 4.]

My 《Charge》 skill also managed to level up from Level 2 to Level 4. Each charge cost me 30 mana and as my skill level rises, the distance traveled with each activation rises too. My mana regeneration, which increased by 5 mp/s when I evolved, now recovers at a rate of 8 mp/s.

As we got closer to Carl's family house, the number of fields started increasing. The ground was filled with pastures with boars roaming around freely, and to my surprise, some of them were even eating the grass. I guess the boars in this world have a different diet than those in my previous world. We arrived at Carl's family house, or more correctly, his family mansion within 2 hours.

First impression, it was like a fortress. It was completely surrounded by a wall made of stone bricks. There are a total of three buildings inside the wall: A mansion built with stone bricks, a stable and a barrack, both built out of wood. I could only tell that it was a barrack from the soldiers walking in and out of it, otherwise, it would look just like a large village house. The mansion was separated from the barrack and stable with a stone wall. Within the walls was a garden filled with trees and different types of flowers with paths winding among them. There was also a fountain which people had to walk around in order to reach the entrance to the mansion. The  mansion itself was 3 storeys tall and 50m wide.

I landed directly in front of it with stealth still active and dropped Carl off. This time, he did not cling on to me and ran directly into the house. As we have discussed, I took off from the ground and waited for him in the air to reduce the chance of being discovered. I couldn't help him search for clues since I was too big to fit into the house. Maybe I could gain some size manipulation skill in the future, or even better, a transforming skill.

I decided to practice my dancing skills in the mean time, after all, even professionals need practice. By the way, I awoken my interesting in dancing a few days before arriving at the village and decided to become a professional dancer, totally didn't just make it up. Anyways, I was pretty high up so I don't think I will get noticed. And so, I began to dance.

[Flight has leveled up from Level 9 to Level Max.]

[Congratulations! Flight has evolved into 3D Maneuvering (Flight).]

YES! My flight finally reached the max level and evolved. I felt myself become lighter and more agile. A quick test show that I could fly faster and make sharper turns than before. I 

[3D Maneuvering (Flight): An evolved version of skills that allow one to move three dimensionally. This one evolved from flight. Agility is doubled.]

[Stealth has leveled up from Level 7 to Level 8.]

[You have learnt the skill 《Dance》.]

[Dance: A skill that boost the fatigue recovery of allies. Effect and range is based on the level of the skill and complexity of the dance. Effects last for 10 minutes after the dance ends.]

[Dance has leveled up from Level 1 to Level 2.]

[Dance has leveled up from Level 2 to Level 3.]

[Dance has leveled up from Level 3 to Level 4.]

[Dance has leveled up from Level 4 to Level 5.]

[Dance has leveled up from Level 5 to Level 6.]

Woah, this skill levels up really fast. Barely 5 minutes has passed since I started using the skill and it was already Level 6. It drains mana but it was at a negligible rate, which means that I can use it anytime before a fight.

Oh crap, Carl was waving to me from the ground. I quickly landed in front of him.

Before he could nag me, I immediately asked him: {What did you find?}

Carl looked like he wanted to say something but changed his mind, he then said: {I didn't find any concrete evidence. However, I did find a strangely worded letter hidden in between a book. I copied down the contents.}

He showed me a piece of paper. On it read: We have the money. Bring all of the Special Boars you have and meet us at our usual meeting place under the full moon.

How subtle, well, I guess people won't notice anything if they didn't suspect him in the first place and looked through his letters. Besides, they may be talking about actual boars.

Carl: {The full moon is tomorrow night, I also did more digging and found out that the usual meeting place is Frock Spire. It's pretty close by.}

And so, we decided to head there immediately to scout. Expectedly, we found nothing, they wouldn't leave an easy trace leading right to them. We then headed back to the Capital, which now took less than an hour, and rented Carl a room for the night so that Carl's father won't know about us arriving at his house before him.

Me: {If you find out that your father is really involved with slave trading, what will you do?}

Carl hesitated for a while before replying with conviction: {I will turn him in. It is my duty as a noble to do so.}

I remained silent. It's not easy to turn a family member in for a crime, and him saying that shows his pride as a noble. Of course, whether he actually does what he says in the future is unknown.

{Growl...}

Carl's stomach growled all of a sudden, reminding me that he hasn't had any food since journeying to the capital, which is around 7 hours ago. It was already evening. 

Me: {Go for your meal, we can meet up tomorrow at your hotel.}

Carl: {That reminds me, I never saw you eating before.}

Me: {I don't have to eat.}

Carl: {What? How is such a thing possible? How interesting. Do you feed off magic or something?}

I finally managed to convince him that now was not the time to go all "Professor" on me and sent him to rest. We agreed to meet up in the afternoon the next day outside the hotel. I explored the Capital for a while before heading back to the village. It now takes me less than an hour to travel from the Capital to Ter Leaf Village. The sky was dark by the time I arrived. Due to the cost of candles and light magic stones, most villagers retire for the night by sunset. This village was no exception and my surrounding was dead silent.

Seeing that everything was normal as usual, I headed into the forest to grind. Since I wanted to be silent, I used my hook for most of the kills.

[Hook has leveled up from Level 8 to Level 9.]

[You have leveled up from Level 4 to Level 5.]

[Camouflage has leveled up from Level 2 to Level 3.]

[Radar has leveled up from Level 2 to Level 3.]

My hook was now lightning quick and it doesn't even produce any sound, perfect for stealth killing. I continued hunting throughout the night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I managed to reach the Capital before noon the next day. I then decided to dance while stealthed in the air to train my dancing skills, which now had two different meanings. I was trying to find out if the Capital has any anti-stealth feature, but nothing activated to shoot me down from the sky. Isn't the anti-stealth defence too lackluster? I explored around the city while dancing, killing two birds with one stone. Woop woop. I was bored out of my mind, okay?

[Dance has leveled up from Level 6 to Level 7.]

[Dance has leveled up from Level 7 to Level 8.]

Afternoon came and I picked Carl up.

Carl: {I bought a recording crystal.}

We decided to do a stakeout since we did not know the actual timing of the meeting. Thus, we bought some ready made food and drink and stored them in my inventory.

We arrived at Frock Spire in the evening and found some trees to hide in since its harder to film while flying. Since my stealth wasn't detected even in the Capital, I doubt some slave trader would be able to detect me. The recording crystal works in a similar way to a camera and requires a direct line of sight in order to film an object.

Soon, night fell. The surrounding was still slightly visible due to the full moon illuminating the ground. We waited patiently, engaging in small talks inside the cockpit.

{Rustle...}

The rustling of leaves could be heard. A sizeable carriage with two person on the front seats could be seen being drawn towards the meeting area. It was still too dark to see the details of their face. Carl got ready his recording crystal and we both waited silently. The carriage stopped in its tracks and waited there silently. Soon, another carriage arrived. This one also had two drivers on the front, and when it came to a halt, a third guy came out from the back of the carriage. The two guys on the first carriage also alighted and walked towards the back of their own carriage. They seemed to fiddle with some lock before the doors opened. From there, a stream of small figures began exiting the carriage. Chains could be seen connecting all 2o of them. They dragged the small figures roughly towards the middle. There wasn't going to be a better opportunity, I switched on my spot light while Carl activated the recording crystal.

I shouted at my top volume: {FREEZE!}

They stopped dead in their tracks, surprised by the sudden appearance of a third party. Under my spotlight, their figures were now all clearly visible.

(Those children... All of them are beast humans!)

Every single child had animal like ears, ranging from dog-like ears to cat-like ears. Carl, however, was paying attention to something else.

Carl whispered under his breath: {Dad...}

Carl's father was standing wide open, his face as white as sheet. He began running back to his carriage as fast as he could, clearly intending to escape. 

Random Slave Trader: {WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?! TAKE THAT THING OUT!}

At the command of a slave trader, the other two men pulled out a crossbow and aimed it at me. It was all for naught, as my hook was already among them. The hook began winding and wrapping around them like a Boa Constrictor would to a prey (or an octopus would to a Japanese girl amirite haha), but it still managed to carefully avoid the beast children. 

{Slash! Slash!}

My hook easily sliced any weapons they had on them in half, rendering them unarmed. By the time my hook stopped moving, the slave traders, including Carl's father, were all tied up. 

Random Slave Trader: {What the hell are you?}

I replied to him with an air of superiority: {I am the one who is going to bring you to justice.}

Random Slave Trader: {No, like seriously, what are you?}

Carl's Father; {Carl, why did you betray me? Can't you see that it's all for the sake of our family.}

Carl: {It's precisely for the sake of our family that I stopped you.}

I secured the chain more tightly around them to prepare for the flight, which indirectly prevented them from speaking. Oops

I then asked Carl: {There is a lot more children than we expected, what do you want to do?}

Still looking at his father, Carl answered distractedly: {Can you carry them back to the Capital?}

I considered my recently evolved flight skill: {I can try.}

I cut the chains while Carl calmed them down.

Carl: {We are here to help, don't be afraid.}

Once the children have calmed down, Carl grabbed some food and water from me before gathering the children into the carriage. He also went in with them to give out the food and water and to make sure they are safe. I then carefully picked up the carriage with my hook which is still wrapped around the slave traders. Naughty slave traders get hanged from a helicopter for six hours. I steadily picked up speed, but did not go too fast. By the time we arrived, it was morning.

A/N: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, this chapter was a pain to write.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

84