Chapter 4 – A Love Sold to Strangers
82 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Content Warnings:

Spoiler

Threats of Violence and Imprisonment. Brief Dysphoria and Self Harm.

 

Threats of Violence - Ultimately minor, but there is a variety. Direct, indirect, and future consequences for arranged marriage not serving its purpose.

Dysphoria and Self Harm - Both very brief. But it is clearly recognized and addressed by someone who actually gets it.

Misgendering - Someone REALLY gets it and tries to help.

Threat of Imprisonment - A veiled threat. Not followed through on, but central to someone's trauma.

Arranged Marriage - Some demeaning and dismissive dialog between people who are supposed to become partners.

[collapse]

Ayre

 

I recognize the red head of hair, even if its owner has ditched the mask. The Watcher approaches my dolls and I unarmed, but her expression suggests irritation.

I offer to let her speak first.

She just stares daggers at me before rolling her eyes and gesturing towards the spire of wood and leaves.

My words are gentle as I address my dolls. “Okay girls. Wait outside for me, okay? Shout and run to Astraea if anything threatens you.” Their safety must ever remain my priority. “When I return, we will hopefully all have a roof over our heads for the coming moon.”

I take all the time needed to ensure that Selescia and Fia are both comfortable releasing me before pulling away from their embrace.

“Don’t worry, Master!” Fia says. “They are going to love you.”

I sigh, giving Fia an appreciative pat on the head. Not a hair comes out of place.

Selescia takes a moment to glare her own daggers at the redheaded Watcher on my behalf. “Remember, try being honest with them. We are supposed to be allies.”

I nod in agreement to Selescia before making my way towards the central spire.

In passing, I have heard it said that Lunarians grow the spaces in which they live. But it makes another impression entirely to see how such a thing must have taken shape. The windows and branches spiral up around the trunk in such a consistent manner that I can mentally place the location of staircases that spiral upwards. I can even make out a pair of green robed Lunarians crossing the branches into an adjacent trunk of another spire.

Mercifully, my escorting Watcher waits until we are well out of range from my dolls’ capacity to overhear.

“I’m not convinced. Not after that stunt at the gates.” She says.

“Good.” I say. “I have been informed that other Vylian Princes and Princesses intend to witness this arranged binding ceremony. You would do well to remain wary of us.”

Her eyes narrow before she can mask her expression behind indifference. “Of course. I would make for a poor Watcher, otherwise.”

It seems I am still being treated as a threat. Maybe now is not the best time to prod at what would prompt her to use those exact words. One can only hope she remembers to aim for the heart when it comes to my siblings, consequences be damned.

“You have informed the Seed Seers of my coming, correct?”

She nods. Her face gives nothing else away.

I take a deep breath, and reach for the edict rolled up into the singular pouch sewn into the inside of my shawl. “Here. This should explain everything.”

She takes it, making it a point to keep a wary eye on me.

I take a respectful step back and continue talking. “The green haired Watcher struck me as… disagreeable. But if I’m stuck here with you all, I suppose I should start being open and honest about why.”

She stops reading to hold my gaze for a long moment.

“The way I see it.” I begin to say, softening my voice in a bid to present myself as having a shared interest in working alongside them. “It will be my head too if your Moon Wrought implement production fails to catch up. Nevermind this binding to your Seed Seers.” 

The red haired Watcher snorts. “Yeah. My brother would have hated hearing that. He would have likely doomed the lot of us to remain in control of the situation.” Her expression does not soften. Not that I expected her to, but she does offer me a begrudging smile. “You should probably know that the Seed Seers are expecting you to be a brutish monster.”

Her words catch me off guard.

I flinch, almost wishing I never managed to coax anything out of her.

Only then does something resembling regret begin to color her expression. “Oh. I’m sorry about that. It won’t happen again.” She comes to a stop, turning to face me in full. “You can call me Snapdragon. Unlike my brother, who you should continue to call the name of his station. Thorned Watcher, Second Seed.” When I don’t immediately reply, she offers further consolation. “Is there any way you would prefer I address you? Or maybe announce you to the Seed Seers?”

It is hard to know how to respond.

Astraea spent many a moon working tirelessly to avoid every little action that got under my skin. We were always so busy and in a place where I was unable to express vulnerability. Without that feedback, the process was always an affair of trial and error on her part.

Meanwhile this Watcher immediately caught onto an aspect of one of my most personal shames, addressing it on the first try.

No. 

I don’t know this person.

I narrow my eyes and adopt my own expressionless mask, wary of what else Snapdragon might notice about me. “Just Ayre is fine.” I say, snapping at her. “I could take or leave titles being haphazardly applied.” My voice hardens, but I find that there is nothing more to say.

Immediately I get the sense that whatever rapport we have been building has been strained. As far as I can tell, she is just standing there scrutinizing my every word.

So I press onward.

The conversation between us ends there.

If Amari or Astraea were here, maybe this could be gracefully salvaged. For now, I am content to let the matter drop. 

It is safer this way, I tell myself.

It takes three floors of spiral staircases to reach the chambers of the Seed Seers. Along the way we pass an audience hall, armory, and dining space that can comfortably fit or arm a few dozen. 

Snapdragon turns to me, exchanging one last look before clearing her throat. The voice that utters from her lungs is deeper than before, projected with her whole chest. “Beloved Seed Seers! I have escorted Ayre alone to treat with you. This one has traveled far to assist us with our invasive species problem.”

I am treated to a wary look from Snapdragon. Getting the sense that I just saw or heard something I shouldn’t have, but unable to quite put a finger on what, I merely nod my head in thanks.

“Don’t make me regret this.” Snapdragon hisses, her voice suddenly the slightest of whispers.

Without another word, I step past the threshold and into the personal chambers of the Lunarian Seed Seers.

Snapdragon closes the door behind me,choosing to remain outside.

It occurs to me that no explanation was ever offered as to whether or not there is any overlap between the roles of Prince and Seed Seer.

I know precious little of what to expect beyond names related to the moon and that the Seers are responsible for producing vile Moon Wrought implements that are of interest to the Castellan.

If offending these Seed Seers risks disrupting the larger alliance negotiations, there will likely be nowhere I could flee that retribution would not follow. Besides, competition between my siblings is intense and vicious enough that I need to remain in the Castellan’s good graces in order to protect myself and those who serve me.

Climbing the ranks as I did earned me precious few friends and an abundance of slighted siblings who could act against me in the coming moons.

If I am going to do this, I must allow no room for failure. Anyone who does not utterly support me is at risk of becoming easier for my siblings to exploit.

Nevermind how I might feel about this situation. I have to make this arrangement amicable for both Seed Seers.

I run a hand through my hair, smoothing out every black strand. 

Deep breaths.

I coax myself into a heightened state of awareness by sinking a fingernail into my palm, drawing blood and the support of my parasite.

My stride becomes effortlessly more confident as I approach the relatively empty chamber’s center.

No sign of either Seed Seer yet, but in the darkness I can make out five other doors spread along the circular walls.

If Astraea were here, she would no doubt assure me that I need only shout for her to come to my defense.

But where would we go? Night is nearly upon us. While the carriage offers some shelter, it would provide little safety from any real Vylian retribution.

Astraea would likely assure me that she could manage something, as if fending off the entire Lunarian settlement was just casually within her purview. 

But how far could we really run if it came down to it?

Something skitters away from my boot.

Unlit gemstones sit in the center of the room, arranged in a circle. With the exception being the one I just knocked out of place. A ritual chamber perhaps?

I take a step forward and reach down into the darkness to find a red tourmaline stone almost the size of my palm. Strange. Valuable stones are not usually left unattended, especially if they are paired or ensorceled with some stored effect. This stone is dim and in need of recharging, but not entirely empty either.

Clinging tightly to the stone I get a sense of the emotions contained within. A chill slithers up my arm as hundreds of vile threats begin to ring in my ear.

It takes a few deep breaths, but I manage to ease my grip. The gemstone’s sensations die down soon afterwards. 

My eyes settle on the far door. It is the only one in which a pale light shines from the other side.

I begin to make my way towards it before a hissing voice cuts through the silence like a threat.

“Entering that room would be a fatal mistake.” 

I turn.

With a tapping sound, a pale blue light begins to illuminate the chamber.

A tall sharp featured Lunarian glares at me from across what I surmise to be a ritual chamber. In one of her four hands, a blue topaz serves as a personal glimmer stone cut into a metal necklace. Snapdragon’s spear rests in one of the others.

Upon closer inspection, it is not just the light that is blue. 

Her white hair in the blue light is the first giveaway that I am staring at someone with a most unnatural blue-gray skin coloration. Pink circles mark her soft white antennae that stand at attention as she awaits my reaction.

“Thank you.” I say, quickly reaching for something both lighthearted and diplomatic. “If what you said is true, you just saved this alliance from getting off to a rough start.”

Her eyes narrow. “Of course I speak the truth. You were about to trespass upon my moonstone garden. Much to your own peril if you weren’t aware.”

“Your… what?” I reply, absolutely blanking on how to respond to that.

Her eyes narrow. Judging by her next words, she must have read something in my expression. “It is obvious you know what I am talking about. Is it the how or why that eludes you?”

I blink, hard before pinching my nose. “You can’t be serious. Your Moon Wrought implements incorporate Moonstones, of all things, and something is successfully attacking your shipments?” I genuinely can’t decide what is worse. That I am getting involved with twice accursed casting implements, or that something might intentionally want to steal such a vile tool on a repeat basis.

Focus, Ayre. I need to be making a good impression.

The moth-featured Lunarian’s antennae flitter. “I see you are not entirely useless, just out of your depth.” She clicks her tongue before casting a glance to one of the other doors. “Sister dearest, can you please hurry it up? We agreed that we would greet the Prince-thing together.”

If nothing else, Prince-thing is far from the worst title I have had leveled at me. During today alone, even.

If anything, it best lines up with how I would describe myself.

From the second door on my right comes a second feminine voice. This one is lighter and more airy. “I heard Snapdragon! Give me a moment.”

The four armed Seed Seer crosses her lower arms. “Can we hurry this up? I have more important rituals to be conducting.” The butt of her spear taps against the ground in impatience.

More important rituals than… I strangle that line of thought immediately. There is nothing more important than making sure I come to some kind of lasting arrangement with the Seed Seers here. And I would definitely consider myself to be failing at that part.

The second Seed Seer enters the room with skin of pale violet and a singular horn cresting a veil of white hair that falls to her knees.

I gently clear my throat. “I apologize for arriving without much warning.”

Both of them react simultaneously, more aimed at each other than me.

“This one is not living up to what Snapdragon impressed upon us.” Hisses the first.

And in a much gentler voice, the second shakes her head. ”It is no trouble! If Snapdragon suddenly claims they are here to help, I am inclined to believe her.”

The first sister strides toward me. “We’ve a number of rituals to conduct. Each one is scheduled days in advance. You are already delaying another moonrise ritual by arriving early, so if we can all just get this over with…”

“Theriya.” Intones the second sister. “I think you’re being belligerent with this one. We don’t even know the full picture.”

The first sister slams the butt of the spear into the floor in a clear sign of frustration, but says nothing. She rolls her dark eyes before gestures for the second sister to continue.

“My apologies. Prince Ayre, was it? My sister was expecting something of a… brute. As you might be able to imagine, neither of us were comfortable with the idea being bossed around. But you’re…” 

Her voice trails off, inviting me to fill in the blanks myself. ”Please, just call me Ayre.” The second sister’s eyebrows rise with interest. So I elaborate. “My mother, the um, Castellan, definitely aims to foster that impression. I don’t take any offense.”

“See Cerya? No offense taken!” Theriya promptly strides towards the room’s center, scrutinizing the ring of gemstones.

Before she can realize the change, I produce the tourmaline in my hand. “Apologies, Seed Seer Theriya, I stumbled into this in the darkness.” 

Theriya turns to swipe it from my grasp. “If you’re not going by Prince, I’m not going by the title of Seed Seer. Just Theriya, thank you very much. Now if you can please step inside the circle…”

Despite every instinct immediately warning me against doing just that, Cerya is the first call her sister out on it. “Theriya! Is that really necessary? We’re getting along fine, don’t you think?”

I manage to trade smiles with Cerya. “If it makes you feel better, I feel less threatened by you than any one of my siblings. Really, whatever Theriya has in mind was likely a prudent precaution.”

Cerya’s smile briefly turns sad.

Theriya turns away, hiding her reaction.

Did I say something wrong? 

Was it too soon for such a declaration? 

“I apologize if my arrival is an inconvenience. I will not claim expertise in understanding the significance of moonrise in a ritual, but if there is anything I can do to make this binding of our families go smoothly, you need only give me instructions. I will willingly follow them.” My thoughts race to keep up with my words. My instincts scream this is starting to turn in my favor, but I cannot afford to leave anything to chance.

I am not powerless here. These two might be bickering, but it is nothing like my siblings.

My hand reaches out in an offer to accept the tourmaline from Theriya’s hands. “Allow me to help. I know my gemstones and am willing to offer every vile word I have been subjected to if you have need of further ire for your workings.”

Cerya’s sad smile of visible concern only grows, confirming that I have guessed at a core component of the ritual circle.

Theriya on the other hand decides to scatter the stones arranged in a circle with a swift kick and a defeated sigh. It is through gritted teeth that she finally turns back to face us. “You’re right, sister dearest. This one is not the brute I thought they would be.”

Without another word, Theriya begins to gather up the scattered ritual stones.

I am left unsure what to make of the scene.

Thankfully, Cerya is quick to distract me by tugging at my arm to join her in one of the side chambers. “Don’t worry, Ayre. You meant well, but none of this is necessary! Let’s get you out of range from my Theriya’s haphazard preparations.”

I swallow nervously at the implication and follow the more chipper and friendly of the two Seed Seers into what quickly becomes clear is her bed chamber.

Quietly, hoping to not offend the other sister with a whispered question, I ask her to elaborate. “Can I ask what that ritual circle was supposed to do?”

Cerya gives me a look of sympathy. “It was something hasty, arranged for our protection if you or Miss Wyrmsbane intended to do us harm. Nothing too drastic, just something to shackle you harmlessly in place. We still would have fed you while the overarching negotiations took place! But I was hoping it wouldn’t be necessary.”

“Ah.” I say, doing everything I can to not flinch at the idea of having unknowingly agreed to help reinforce a cage intended for me or my protector. “Thank you. For not thinking it necessary.”

I get another one of those sad smiles from her.

And spurred on by a dangerous whim, I allow myself to be vulnerable with someone other than Astraea or my Dolls. My senses dull as I relax. 

The involuntary shaking begins before I can pull away from Cerya’s touch. “I’ve spent far too much time in my mother’s dungeon, and I… appreciate the freedom of not being caged more than you could have possibly known.” 

 

Announcement
Snapdragon, Cerya, and Theriya have all arrived in the same chapter~! Seeing how they all bounce off and warm up to not only Ayre but each other was such a joy to balance.

As much as I love the moon elf Lunarians, I've made a small change to this story's tags.

This story will have [Elf] appeal aplenty... in the long term. But such a tag does precious little to communicate what this story will be like compared to what a [Vampire] tag will mean to how much it defines Ayre's entire existence in this story.

If you're not convinced, just give it a few more chapters. Two is a highly convincing number, I should think.

 

But if two isn't enough, the chapter immediately after on Patreon has our first Point of View swap!

This is a story where there is just so much you're not going to get by being confined to Ayre's perspective. I just want to wait for the right moments to deploy the first one of each new character getting a PoV that enriches an understanding of the narrative.

7