Prologue: Last Shinobi
55 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Great-grandpa, I brought you some water, dattebayo!"

"Ah, thank you."

"Is there anything else you need? Anything you'd like to eat?"

"Well... I'd like some tomatoes."

"Again? Grandpa, you really love tomatoes, huh? Alright, I'll bring you some, dattebayo!"

As he watched his great-grandson rush off to the kitchen, Sasuke took a sip of the cool water that filled his cup to the brim.

Feeling his dry throat tingle with moisture, Sasuke's attention was drawn to the sound of the television that had drifted into his ears.

"Today marks the hundredth anniversary of the end of the Fourth Shinobi World War. A memorial service for the war dead was held in Yugakure, the village that served as the battlefield."

The television screen showed a sea of flowers. If he hadn't caught a cold a few days ago, Sasuke would have been there too, adding a single flower to the tribute.

The screen quickly changed, showing the village heads of each country one by one, all facing forward. He recognized some of them, squinting his eyes at the remnants of their former selves.

His master, his best friend, his wife, his daughter, his comrades. Many shinobi had passed away, and he was the only one left who knew about the Great War.

Even Konohagakure, the village hidden in the leaves, was no longer what it used to be. Skyscrapers stood tall outside, while trains and bullet trains ran between them.

Even though it was just a superficial kind of mutual deterrence, there was food, shelter, and clothing. Children could laugh and play without fear. They weren't killed senselessly. Puppet soldiers did the actual fighting, and the world didn't take it for granted that people would risk their lives.

At least the Land of Fire, Konohagakure, could certainly be called peaceful.

But he still wasn't used to the things that scientific ninjutsu had brought about.

It was probably because he was a shinobi.

In a peaceful world, there was no longer any need for life-or-death battles.

In a peaceful world, there was no longer any need for shinobi, for him.

"Grandpa, I'm sorry! It looks like they're out of tomatoes right now. Mom's out shopping... Wait!? Hey, Grandpa! What's wrong, dattebayo!?"

The door burst open, and his great-grandson, who looked just like him, peered in with a worried expression.

He tried to ask what was wrong, but he couldn't find his voice. His hands were wet too. He must have dropped the cup.

As his great-grandson's hands wrapped around his waist and he was laid down, Sasuke finally realized that his time had come.

"Grandpa... Mom, that's right, Mom!"

With his trembling, wrinkled hand, he gently held back his great-grandson's flailing arm. There was no time to call his granddaughter-in-law. His great-grandson surely understood that the time of farewell had arrived.

He smiled at his great-grandson, who was sobbing, and ruffled his golden hair with his one-armed hand

Was it what they called a life-flashing before his eyes? 

Warm memories came back vividly.

Family dinners - he never realized how much love had been poured into them.

Missions with Team 7 - that warmth had seeped into his cold heart.

The reunion with his deceased brother - his brother had been forgiven for everything.

The reconciliation with his best friend - the karma that had continued from their previous lives was over, and he was free from everything.

The day he married his wife, the day he heard she was pregnant.

The day his daughter was born, the day she got married.

The day his grandson was born, the day he got married.

And the day this boy was born.

He had been happy. So happy he could cry.

"Hey, I have one more thing I want."

"Wh-what is it? I'll get it right away!"

"I want to see... your smile."

His great-grandson's face crumpled for a moment.

And then, he showed a sun-like smile that was just like his.

"Well, then... see you later, Usuratonkachi."

"...Good night, Grandpa."

With a final light touch to his forehead, he slowly closed his eyes.

Sasuke's consciousness was cut off, enveloped in white light.

The news that the war hero and last shinobi had passed away made headlines the next day.

Uchiha Sasuke, aged 118.

Many people attended his funeral, where he died peacefully.

It was said that a peaceful, gentle smile was on his face.

And so, the life of one man came to an end.

Or so it should have been.

This is my first post on Scribble hub. Please be gentle with me.

I'm not very familiar with the operation, so please give me any advice you have.

Thank you very much, m(_ _)m

3