Chapter 3: Gathering information
48 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We shot like rockets in between tree branches and burst through the tree top. The next second we are floating in the air, seeing an expansive city spanning atop the tree. But the amazing sight couldn’t stop our fate of plummeting down due to gravity.

We screamed like what could be described as screams heard from a mental institution and gradually neared what looked to be the floor on the tree. But to our luck the ‘floor’ was some kind of flexible slime, which absorbed all of our fall momentum

.̋That was shit! ̋ I force myself up on shaky legs.

More than half of our group was on all four doing gagging reflexes even when nothing came out. At this moment, Silver and his follower fairies arrived laughing their asses off.

̋A little warning would be nice! ̋ I hiss while barely standing from the ride. But Black seems to not be affected.
̋You little shits! I will shove those toothpicks you call weapons up your arse and smear your grins with bird shit!!! ̋ He charges them furiously with a force that could be described like a runaway truck.

̋...Air cannon. ̋ Silver chanted an aria and casts an azure colored gust that blew Black back. I barely dodged while Deadshell wasn’t as lucky.

̋Let us pray for the poor bastard, that got squished by Black. ̋ Cheap Kami-sama and Bloody Annoyance made a praying posture.

̋Fuck off, I am still alive! ̋ Deadshell yelled at them even as he was buried under the mass called Black Bear.

̋Ah the angels must have given him a chance to pass us his last words! ̋ Bloody Annoyance kept joking. CookieLove must have had enough since she slapped his head from behind.

̋Haha, you guys are the funniest group yet. ̋ Silver laughed his ass off.

̋You bastard cum bucket! ̋ Black exclaimed as he grit his teeth in anger. He barely got up since he got the air punched out of him.

I am surprised how he can still stand up from that blow so I hurry to his side to stop him from making it worse. I hold him back and whisper.

̋Stop it Black! Don’t bother with this for now, hide the rage. Revenge is best served cold, you know that. We need information first. ̋

̋Fine! Now tell us what is going on! ̋ Black snorts but stops pushing.

̋Well there is at least one smart one. Well my job is already done by bringing you here. Everything will be explained by my colleague in that building. If you are in need of a job later, come and find me in the guards post. Ta-ta!~ ̋ Silver flies off with his cronies.

̋Fucking pillock! ̋ Black spat at the ground and walks away.

̋Baldr, come one! Carry the girl and bring the rest if you want, but STAY.NEAR.ME. Right now you are the only one who showed that you can cover my back. ̋ He waves his hand in a sour mood.

I sigh but agree with him. Me and him are the only ones who look somewhat dependable from our group. I am supporting Yamila, while the rest of the group are still afraid or without any drive.

I again pick up Yamila, without bothering with the others. If they are smart, they will follow us or else they have brains of vegetables. To my relief, they all followed.

We enter the designated building and are greeted by a beautiful fairy with translucent ocean blue butterfly wings. As I don’t want a bad impression to build because of Black, I greet her first.

“Hello, my name is Baldr Firebeard Me and my group were brought here by that Silver guy. He said that you will explain our situation.”

̋Good afternoon, my name Misty Peachrain. I am the one I charge of the Nil race business in this city. How much has Silver explained to you? ̋ She greets back with a shining smile.

̋Nothing! The bastard laughed his ass off after bringing us with that reverse bungee jump and pointing us to here. ̋ Black grumbles as he is still pissed.

Misty’s wings turn to a dark blue color and her still smiling face seems to become somewhat dreadful. She took some paper, shed some dust off her wings, folded the contents inside and rang a bronze bell standing on her desk.

An azure colored fairy rushed inside in his small form and landed on her desk.

̋Bring this to Demetra. Tell her it’s urgent! Do it quickly or you will also be part of her punishment. ̋The fairy shudders in dread, took the paper and rushed out of the building like a sports car in a drag race.

‘Hm, again these weird comparisons... What is a car?’

Misty’s wings regained their ocean blue color and her smile became friendly again facing us. She lifts her hands up, extending all her fingers and slowly starts to retract one by one like counting down.

With each finger down she had a happier look, making us look questionably. When she retracted her last finger, we heard something that can be only described as a screech of the mother of all banshees. Soon following her was a loud wail of a familiar voice. We stare at the fairy in front of us with Black grinning from ear to ear.

̋Miss, I like you already. And I feel like that’s really rare for me. ̋ He says with his grin.

̋I second that motion of him not liking others. ̋ BrosB4Hoes raised his arm with Cheap Kami-sama and Bloody Annoyance.

̋Stop, do you want to die?! ̋ CookieLove and LustyD3mon smack them over their heads.

̋Guess I will have to explain everything. Well at least the idiot pixie is suffering for it... ̋ Misty chuckles ominously.

̋So let’s start from the beginning. This is the world we call Eden. The world is populated by many races such as humans, fairies, monsters, demons, etc. Each race has its benefits and demerits. Some are stronger/weaker, some reproduce fast/slow,... ̋ We listen attentively to hear any useful information she explains.

̋But some races have it harder, so the gods and devils granted another way of getting new members without reproduction. You! ̋ She points at us like we are special existences.

̋You are Nils, without a race. You have been conceived from the ideas of higher beings, granted your own soul and put into a body of flesh. You randomly appear in the world every now and then, but you are the weakest as you are now. The way to get stronger is to turn into any race you feel compatible. With the recognition and a ritual, the members of the race give you the chance to advance. ̋ She explains.

̋How do we get the recognition and which races are available here? ̋ I ask her.

‘This all concerns our future. I shouldn’t be hasty with choosing.’

̋You will have to earn it by doing missions, battling enemies, generally making some kind of contribution to the targeted race or show them that you have talent worth investing in. though you don’t know if you have it since you only appeared. The available races of Willowshade are fairy types. They are elemental fairies, brownies, gnomes, pixies and leprechauns. There are also some other races in this town, but we don’t recommend them. ̋ She gazes over us.

̋It’s because you want us to become a type of fairy and join the city? ̋ Dorothy asks. Misty ignores the obvious answer and continues.

̋Well you have two choices now, leave for another country or integrate here. If you choose to leave, we will escort you back down from the tree and the rest is up to you. In the case of the latter, you can get a profession plus 5 orange dew drops. You can make
your choice now. ̋ Her explanation kind of discouraged everyone, since they don’t really have a choice. I look them over and then turn to Misty.

̋So which professions are available and what are the dew drops? ̋

̋Good, you look for information first. Keep that up and you all will have a good time. ̋ She winks.

̋There are many professions to choose from. They are crafting, gathering, utility and combat. Each one branches into many different professions and each of them has their own related skills. From the first three, you can choose as many as you want. But we recommend at most two or three, since time is required to learn and train different skills. The skills in these professions only assist your own actions.

Next are the combat professions, which are unique and that’s why we call them classes. It is frowned upon having more than one base class because all the knowledge is strictly safeguarded by the guilds, because they compete with each other for importance.
The dew drops are our currency in fairyland. There are five types, brown, red, orange, yellow and white. The exchange rate is:
10 brown dews for 1 red dew
100 red dews for 1 orange dew
100 orange dews for 1 yellow dew
10 yellow dews for 1 white dew
5 brown dew will suffice for a kg of bread. ̋ She explains and points out the important parts while showing us some different colored marbles.

(I’ll compare it with euro for easier comparison. Brown is 20 cents, red is 2 euro, orange is 200 euro, yellow is 20.000 euro and white is 200.000 euro. The worth is based on the content of impurities of the dew, with brown having the most and white having the least.)

Skimming through the information again in my head I turn to the rest of the group.

̋Alright, like you heard we only have one real option. We need money, tools and knowledge to survive. Does anyone have any concerns or questions? ̋ They want to ask but don’t really know what to ask yet.

̋Black, you want to fight, right? So you can bitch slap that pixie? ̋ I ask with the intention to motivate him.

̋YES!!! I don’t have the patience to sit on my ass inside for hours. ̋ He answers with eagerness.

̋Yamila and the rest of you, do you want to fight or not? ̋ I ask everybody.

̋Um... I’m afraid... but if I have to go... ̋She clenches her tiny fists as well as her teeth.

̋Can we also not fight? ̋ CookieLove asks.

Black looks at her disapprovingly, but I stop him.

̋Black! All professions are equally important. The ones who don’t want to, don’t have to fight and get the other jobs. ̋ Black grunts and looks away.

̋It would be beneficial to have our own crafters, gatherers and utility professions. So hear me out on my plan. We split into combat and support groups. As the combat group will probably leave outside, we will also get gathering jobs besides
our classes. We will bring back the materials and sell them to our crafters with a discount. The crafters get more practice and also give us a discount on their produced goods. But I still recommend you to get a class just for the instance when it would be beneficial to have one. Like Misty said, the world is at war so peace is never an option. ̋ I explain my thoughts.

The group thinks it over and decides it’s a good deal.

̋We will stay. So what classes are there? ̋ Black asks Misty in a bored voice. Our serious talk must have bored him out of his mind.

̋Great! You will stay then. The combat classes are available from five guilds. They are associations of everyone who shares their basic class, where you study and train to advance your class. The advancements will be explained to you by your guild.

The five guilds are the rogue, cleric, archer, mage and warrior guilds. Each specializes in their own domain.

Rogues for scouting, dismantling traps and locks, swift killing and opportunity attacks.

Clerics are the healing class that also buffs allies and debuffs enemies, are either the rear guard or can also be in the frontline depending on the advancement.

Archers are high damage dealers who specialize in ranged combat, traps, can have pets and are always the rear guard or opportunity attackers.

Mages are high magic damage dealers who can also use area of effect magic. They can also cast illusions, summon minions. They are rear guards and are never seen on the front line besides some exceptions.

Warriors are the definition of true frontline class. They can brush off damage, block and trade blows with their enemies. This is the basic description of the classes. If you decide to become soldiers I recommend that each party should have at least one of each class. ̋ She finishes her description.

‘This sound really familiar, but I can’t put a finger on it.’ I think to myself.

The group starts to whisper for a moment until the gazes are fixed on me and Black, who nudges me as if ‘finish this since you know what you are doing’. But I really am just going on instinct.

̋So anything else we need to do before we get our allowance? Can we get a map of the city too? ̋

̋Certainly! Fill out this personal document with what you know about yourself, so we have you in our files as temporary citizen. ̋ She hands over a stack of parchments, which I look over for any small text. I find none.

‘Wait, why am I this suspicious? Eh, it’s better to be careful.’

I distribute the parchments and tell them that they should fill it out. We return them, obtain temporary citizen badges, our dew currency and a map.

̋Thank you for helping us out. If we need any other information, can we come back? ̋ I inquire.

She nods and so with reassurance we bid farewell and leave the building.

̋So what classes do you guys want? ̋ I ask everyone.

̋I will be a warrior! ̋Black says irrefutably.

̋I-I don’t want to fight, so I’m planning to be a cleric. ̋ Yamila musters her courage.
Some others also shared their preferences while others couldn’t decide.

‘I’ll probably be with Black, so let’s help keep him alive.’

̋I will also become a cleric. The remaining people will take a random pick to fill the places. We should do an equal distribution on all classes, agreed? ̋ My logic convinced everyone so I went to prepare.

I found an empty bottle on a nearby barrel. I line myself, Black and three others into a circle, so that everyone represents a different class. The undecided are put into a line and one after the other go spin the bottle in the middle. They take the class of the one the bottle pointed at.

Once a class has four members, they step out of the circle so that the other classes get them.
The distribution is as follows:
Rogues: Franky Panty, Deadshell, Chad the Frog and Bloody Annoyance.
Clerics: Baldr Firebeard, Yamila Rose, CookieLove and Ambulance.
Archers: Greta Beta, Yomama Fat, Little Tommygun and Unicorn Blues.
Mages: Dorothy the Witch, Punk Funk, LustyD3mon and Cheap Kami-sama.
Warriors: Black Bear, John Mass, Amazon Lily and BrosB4Hoes

̋Since we are now split, let’s go together to check out our guilds and meet up here again after arranging our training. Sounds good? ̋ I ask already a bit tired after the eventful day.

̋Yea, let’s do that! ̋ Everyone was also quite tired.

We memorize the guild locations on the maps and split into five groups each going their
own way.
(A.n: Sorry for not posting faster. I was told to post longer chapters, plus I started with work, so i have less time to spend on the story.)
(PS: The classes will have advancements. You learn related skills and with acting you may obtain the advancement. They will function like titles and buff the related skills used to obtain them. Like learning tanking skills as a cleric, you might obtain the paladin
advancement. The advancements don't bother each other so you can be a bard on top of being a paladin. But some advancements are only unlockable by a certain basic class.)
You can suggest the advancements with a short description in the comments in the advancement list.

2