Chapter 29 Age of Preparation
1.4k 5 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hey guys, we are finally caught up! Now the schedule falls to every sunday :^ Enjoy. Ill drop a new chapter later for artwork, and some teasers for future character releases.


I retracted my hand and spun around to take in the various forms around me. So they are a hive mind that acts like a fungus and parasite. So far, they seem strong, yet they lack the intelligence to operate on a sophisticated level. But I don't really blame them for that; Orcs are not the smartest of individuals to be consuming

"Father, thank you for visiting this hive." The voice stuttered out. Each word was measured and seemed to have a lot of thought behind it, yet it also seemed unsure how to use them.

"It's no problem. I was just stopping by to see how everyone is doing." I replied to him. I was trying to improve myself, cause I recognize that I have been scatterbrained as of late, but since I have been human again, everything has seemed more apparent and focused. Maybe I'll spend more time in this form since my thoughts seem more condensed.

"We thank you. Times have been rough since the arrival of the green fleshed ones." Its words resonated in my skull. It brought its tentacles down, and the others started to go about their task once more.

"I see. I apologize for my absence. I have been busy and haven't had a chance to visit you all." I felt terrible having to lie to them like this. I mean, how am I supposed to explain that they terrified me at one point?

"This hive forgives you. However, I know that some of the other hives do not feel the same." It replied to me, and I nodded.

"That is to be expected. I have neglected you all, and you have my apologies." I told the mass of flesh. I meant that apology. I haven't been the best creator or best living being since I became an Administrator.

"All is well, father." It replied. I brought my feet up and sat back on the invisible barrier that I was using to walk above the floor.

"What can you tell me of the surrounding area and the other hives?" I asked. I mean I could pull up my map, but I want a chance to interact with these creatures. I need to get used to them.

"The surrounding area is full of the green fleshed ones. They grow in strength as we do, so we have been struggling to fend them off. Sister Hive Sigma has also been attacking us, so we have been stretched thin." I listened along quietly. That was interesting. I now see why they have a fractured hive mind trait in the racial passives.

"Is Hive Sigma strong?" I asked because I wasn't sure of how the power balance was.

"Sister Hive Sigma has better attributes then we do. They do well to keep away the stronger ones." It replied to me. So it’s a war of attrition between hives. They grind each other down and steal each other's strengths.

"What happens if a Hive wins a war?" I asked since I was unsure of what would happen.

"The hive ruler assimilates the defeated one and consumes all of its knowledge." It replied with a solemn tone. That was a rather sad outcome.

"I see. What hive is this?"

"Hive Omega. I am Omega." It replied, and I saw its tentacles twitch in response. Its milky white eye darted across the room and took in the surroundings. "There is another wave of the green fleshed ones coming." After its words, a blood-curling scream broke through the room, and a large majority of the Ancient Ones started flocking towards the door. Some of the zombified orcs took an enormous leap and jumped well over fifteen feet into the air before landing on the outcropping and running at inhuman speeds into the cave system.

Others fell to the ground and started violently spasming as bones broke and shifted. Bones tore through flesh and jutted out in various places. I’m guessing that they doubled as natural weapons. Others of the same variant were still using rusted makeshift blades.

The cavern was quickly emptied, leaving the Hive Father and my self. I let out a sigh. I suppose that I should help them out. I mean, I did kind of leave them on their own for a very long time. I mean, I'm running out of time to do shit right. Better late then never, I suppose. "Omega, I am going to fight with you today on the battlefield. I'm just going to retrieve my weapons."

The milky white orb landed on me, and it shuddered in response. "The all father fighting with us? What a joyous occasion!" Even though Omega's voice was monotonous, I could sense happiness radiating through the connection. I gave him a nod and imagined my weapons that were in the control room. Once the picture was clear, I forced them to teleport to me.

In a brief flash of light, they appeared, and I caught them as they fell. The sheathes landed heavily in my hand, and I let out a small grunt. I quickly threw the sheathe across my back and on my hip. I noticed how they felt lighter than before.

More than likely, due to me increasing my stats. I rested my hand on the sword on used my class to draw as many blades as I could. This time I managed to pull out two without an issue. Two more ethereal copies appeared to my right as my class started to activate. I waved my hand horizontally across, and the four blades danced around me. Well, at least I’m starting to get the hang of my class. I spared a glance at Omega and gave him a quick nod. "I'll be topside helping out." The milky eye bobbed once in response; I started to feel the hivemind grow become more active Orders began to be dished out, starting from Omega that funneled through various other connection points. I glanced at the giant mass once more before forcing myself to teleport to the cave entrance.

In a flash, the winter landscape was in front of me. Hundreds of Ancient Ones were rushing into the field, and before us stood another wave of Orcs. They all wore makeshift armor and had improvised weapons in their hands. Some stood heads taller than their brethren while there were smaller variants that were dashing between their feet, which looked to be little goblins. All in all, they looked pretty much like I would expect an Orc to look. They all had Large protruding tusks and vomit green flesh. They had small pig-like eyes and had various rusted iron pieces as armor plating. Some were hulking masses of muscle, while others were thin and wiry.

Both sides seem to eye each other warily for a split second before the Ancient Ones let out a heart-wrenching scream and charge like a flood into the arms of the grinning orcs. "Kill da ded fleshy boyz." A massive Orc screamed out and rose its rusted blade into the air, and hysterically laughed as it threw itself into the horde of Ancient Ones.

The sound of flesh striking metal filled the air along with the screams of dying creatures. Body parts were flying every in various as the battle raged on, but yet I stood and watched. This was my first time seeing something so savage and brutal. Granted, I saw this in video games, but I never got to experience it in person.

Orcs were dragged under a writhing mass of flesh, and screams were cut short. Members of the Ancient Ones were cut cleanly in half by a band of Orcs that swung around giant buster swords. The snow was painted with blood like some form of morbid graffiti.

I clenched the hilt of my blade and watched as the fight progressed. Even though the Ancient Ones were powerful and could adapt quickly, they were under a lot of pressure from the Orcs, most clearly in numbers at the moment, and even strategy. The Ancient Ones from this hive just attempted to drown the foes in a tide of bodies instead of focusing down the necessary targets. No wonder why they seemed to be in dire straits.

I watched the battle unfold as I tried to come up with a plan. I saw a few massive Orcs bellowing orders out to their smaller brethren, and an idea struck me. "Attack the bigger ones. They are the ones that are controlling the Orcs." As soon as I gave out my commands, the Ancient Ones reacted quickly and began swarming the various Orc commanders. Maybe I would have Inovia drop by at some point and teach them different strategies. I only have a basic understanding of waging war, and I fear that I would do more harm than good if I tried to teach them stuff I had no experience with, I mean it would be better to leave this stuff to the pros after all.

I watched as the battle unfolded, and I drew two of my blades from their sheathes and brought them to rest next to me, shortly after two ethereal copies appeared to my right. I rested my left hand on the pommel of my sheathed blade and took a step into the snow.

Was I prepared to take a life? I killed a planet shortly after my awaking as an Administrator, that counts, right? I took another step, and I felt a stirring inside of me and the familiar movement of my familiar. "Hunger." I head its strange voice echo in my head. I felt a pulling in my chest, and I glanced down and saw inky darkness pour from my chest as a void appeared. Darkness dripped from it like a thick viscous liquid and dissipated before it hit the ground. A small-clawed hand appeared from the rift and then another, and my small Oblivion Elemental appeared. It tumbled out of the void and hit the ground with a small hiss and gazed out at the blood-soaked battlefield with a curious gleam in its eye. I don't hear from it for a few days, and the first time I do, it came out to eat? If I get back to my dorm room with enough time to spare, I'll look at the path of Oblivion and what it means to me now that I am walking it.

I felt the familiar connection with the Elemental that I did with the Ancient Ones, and I sent it a simple message since I wasn't sure how intelligent it was yet. "Eat the green pig-like things. Leave my people be." It glanced at me with its blood-red eyes and only gave me a nod in turn. It grabbed a few rocks and stretched itself out like a bungee cord and launched itself into the battlefield.

I watched it, and I let out a short giggle. I will look into this once I get back to my room. But for now, I need to join the battle; otherwise, my creations will get overwhelmed. Besides, this is the training that I need. If I don't get used to this now, how will I ever fight off an Administrator if they invade? I don't even know how they fight, but I'll ask Helios once I'm free.

Now, what skill should I use first? I'm a little ways away from the battle, so I need to get there quickly. I can use any skill I know, but I want to focus on the ones that apply to my class; that way, I can level them up a bit. I decided that I want to use my dimensional step. It's a newer skill, and I doubt the Orcs could actually hurt me enough to capsize off of a mistake I make.

I activated the skill, and the world blinked away, leaving me in a swirling void of color. For a split second, I felt weightless, and then I felt the tug of gravity as the world returned to my view. Well, only partially since most of my vision was taken up by a green monstrosity. I glanced up the Orc that stood three heads taller than me, and it gave me a wicked grin. Saliva dripped from its teeth, and it rose its twisted, rusted sword high into the air. Thankfully I was much faster then the Orc was. I activated lung as shot backward and spun my blades in a quick horizontal slash across its armor-plated chest.

My blades carved the iron as easily as they cut through the air, and blood poured out the deep wound. The Orc gazed at me with indignance and moved to strike me, completely indifferent to its wound. It swung its blade as quickly as it could, yet to me, it seemed to move slowly. This is what Helios meant by no one on this planet could hurt me. At least in this fight. While the blade slowly descended, it gave me a chance to think. Did I want to kill this, Orc? They did nothing wrong, so why am I doing this? I avoided the blade and brought my blades down diagonally across its chest with a quick motion of my hand. The blades pierced its flesh and brought it to its knees before me.

I was doing this, so when the time came, I wouldn't hesitate to kill. The Administrators that will eventually invade my home won't hesitate, so why should I? I stepped back and flicked the hilt of my sheathed blade. The sound of a chime resounded, and the Orc let out a surprised noise as the wounds suddenly widened in an explosion of blood and flesh. The Orc gave me a peculiar look as it fell to the ground, unmoving. Everything around me stopped the chime rung out, and I felt the murderous gaze of all the Orcs in the vicinity.

I just killed my first living creature. While I suppose I should be regretful, I could feel the adrenaline coursing through my veins. Besides, now is not the time to think of such things. Angry Orcs do surround me after all. I made a quick gesture, and the blades circled me ready to strike at anything that moved. It was all surreal and was what pushed me over the edge.

I spun around and guided my blades as they started their dance. Maybe it was easier for me to take life since I couldn't feel my blades entering flesh, but was I going to justify killing by saying that? I activated my first sequence, and my blades spun around me in a whirlwind of death. As my blades cut and tore on their own accord, it gave me a chance to ponder on what I was becoming.

I wasn't that same idiotic boy that grew up at home and played video games all the time. I was an Administrator in a cold universe that doesn't care if I lived or died. I needed to get my shit together before I died again and lose everything I have worked to gain.

I saw a flicker of movement in the corner of my eyes, and I instinctively bent my body, avoiding the thrown blade of another Orc. The iron blade shot past me and embedded itself in the body of another orc that managed to slip past my blades.

I may be fast and strong, but I was still outnumbered, so I needed to be more careful. I delivered a bone-shattering kick to another Orc that strayed to close. It collapsed in a shattered heap, and I felt my body start to move on its own accord. Is this what it means to be a dancer? To dance to the music of death?

My mind eventually started to focus on the task at hand as I brought death to the Orcs that attacked my children. I spun and cut anything that got near me, and somewhere along the way, my elemental came back and fell into sync as we cut down every Orc we found.

After what felt like an eternity, the last Orc collapsed as I sheathed my blades. Alaric, my elemental, emerged from a corpse and licked the blood off of its claws and quickly ran over to me. It circled around my legs like a cat before it climbed up my leg and vanished back into my chest. He didn't even stop to chat. Maybe it's feline in nature. I shrugged and glanced around the battlefield and saw that the surviving Ancient Ones were dragging most of the dead back to the cave while reviving the Orcs that could be brought into the Hive. I glanced around the battlefield and got lost in my thoughts. Where was I going, and what was I going to become?

43