Dreams and Dedication – part 2
115 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Sooooo, yeah..... I know it's been like what? Three  months. Yes. I know I've been late but there are reasons. Before I tell you about them, I would like you to imagine a hypothetical situation. Imagine yourself lying on a soft bed and people taking care of you. You don't even have to do anything. They'll do it for you. No matter how embarrassing it may be. There are people to care about you all around you, and even your relatives, your father, mother who nag you about this and that, and your sibling who always want to find an excuse to rip your money off of you, are looking out for you. A little too much. How would it feel? Well, it may fell good or at least fine at the start but then it feels awful. Like, it's a feeling you would have when the whole world is singing songs about you being an incompetent, incapable leecher.

That's what happened to me. Just it wasn't by my choice but by bad luck. I was riding my bike in my neighborhood and here comes a truck and a car at the same time just around the corner at a t junction. One from this side and one from that and here I am in the middle of it, taking a turn towards the truck. I don't know what he was thinking about, or what I was thinking about, as there are no trucks in out neighborhood usually. Heck, that was the first one I saw in three years. And weeelll, the rest I don't remember. There was a lot of pain and then I woke up to see an unfamiliar ceiling. Wallah, here's one isekai wish granted. Anyway, I had fractures in my right arm and both legs along with other injuries, some minor and some not so minor. Anyway, I was discharged about two three weeks ago. So, yeah, I think I'm back now.

Here's the chapter. Tell me if there are any mistakes.

In this world, there is an amazing thing called ‘Mana’. Mana can be called as a form of energy or as a substance that carries energy. Mana can be used to create fires, winds, earth, water and other elements as well. It has the property of distorting reality. Or one can say that mana is something that has the ability to twist logic.

Since ancient times, mana has interfered with the lives of people. When mana first came into existence, it was something to be feared. It allowed animals to become monsters, make skinny people strong enough to bend steel, allow crops to grow in moments and it also had the capacity to cure wounds instantly. It was something like a contract with the devil.

As the mana gradually stabilized, the benefits of mana became more widespread. Now it was possible for almost anyone to utilize mana instead of a select few who had good compatibility with mana. As this happened, mana became more accepted into the society, and research on it grew more widespread.

When mana stabilized even more, the concept of levels and stats came into existence, and on further stabilization, skills came into existence as well. With this, the humanity that was being pushed back by the monsters, who gained benefits of mana quicker because of their instinctive nature, became able to fight back.

Mutations were happening everywhere, and new races emerged. After the ensuing chaos settled down, the world became peaceful, however, humanity had lost more than half of its territory. Now, world was covered in monster domains and dungeons. And the battle to regain their former glory began.

However, this all changed once humanity learned of the benefits of monsters’ existence and the way to harvest those benefits. Now, humans allow the existence of monster under a certain level, and even strive to maintain it at that level.

However, that is not important. The important thing is this, that mana is capable of making a substance deviate from its original path. The greater the ability of the base, the greater the chance and magnitude of deviation in a certain direction. It is similar to how an extremely pure silver has the ability to become mithril or sealing silver on prolonged exposure to no attribute mana.

Why am I saying this? It’s because there is a way to control the direction of deviation in certain cases and the deviation is possible for any substance. That, of course, includes the human body. Currently, I am sitting in lotus position, meditating.

Now, I can very easily feel the flow of magic power in my body which is mana refined by my body and soul and also in my surroundings. If I really focus inside my body, I can feel almost every corner of my body. When you use magic power to try to sense everything inside your body, slowly the area you can feel increases. First it is just at the edge of the flow of magic power, and then, it keeps on increasing as if layers are being added upon its vein like flow.

If I focus outside, I can feel the flow of mana in a radius of five meters with me as the center. I can also control the mana in a radius of two meters from me, which is pretty amazing. When I use the mana in my control zone, the mana in the rest of the surroundings rushes to fill the gap that has been formed, entering my control space again. So basically, it’s like the mana in the whole world is under my control, even though it would take more than a hundred years if I really tried that.

Now, I move the magic power inside my body, concentrating it in my eyes, ears, nose, throat, heart, lungs, and other internal organs. After which I move the magic power, focusing it in my appendices, my head, upper arm, wrists, palms, fingers, chest, thighs, shin, foot. Cycling it in both the minor and major parts of my body, I improve the ability of my whole body.

Then, I begin to release the magic power inside my body, from every place possible. Obviously, the greatest volume of magic power is being released from my hands, then my head and my legs. Magic power is being released from my whole body, but those are the main gateways. However, I do not let go of magic power just because it is outside of my body.

Instead, I gather it in a layer surrounding my whole body. After that, I command over the mana in the nature, gathering it towards me, increasing the mana density around me. Slowly, the mana keeps increasing. After this, I bring both my hands in front of my chest and keep them separated from each other a little. Then, I gather all the mana around me between them.

Slowly, the mana density increases further and the light coming from between my hands grow stronger. It keeps on increasing as if it wants to become a solid magic crystal. Magic crystal is the solid form of mana which is created when a mana stone is refined. Though, since magic power is the dominant ingredient in the mana I have gathered, it will not be the same as other magic crystals. That is, if I can compress it enough to form a solid.

I open my eyes a little, and what I see is a warmly glowing silver blue ball of light, about one centimeter in diameter. The light radiated by it is bright and intense, though not to the point of hurting the eyes. My surroundings are dyed a blue color, and seeing the result of my work, I close my eyes again.

I move the ball in a circle around my right hand clockwise, and when it comes between my hands again, I move it around my left hand counter clockwise. I repeat this several times, and after that, I reverse the directions and repeat this several times again. Till this part I can say it has become easy because of my repeated practice.

However, this is just the beginning. After this, I gradually move the ball away from my body while also moving it around in my control zone. If I really focus, I can barely, just barely, control the ball to a distance of two and a half meters from me. After this, either the ball disperses or I cannot properly change its direction and speed.

As the ball gradually inches to the boundary of my control zone, I focus vehemently, extending my range of control. And then, I move it in that area. After I have sufficiently trained my magic control, I let go of mana, without absorbing it inside my body.

Now, my body does not have any magic power, which means, I’m in my base state. As the magic power in the body reduces, it becomes difficult to release more magic power, and if the concentration of magic power in the body goes below one percent, the person suffers from a terrible mental fatigue and the capabilities of bodies get reduce drastically.

This is because magic power is responsible for enhancing the power of body. As the level and age increases the body becomes more addicted to mana, making it difficult to function without it. It’s not like the bodily functions stop, it’s just that the brain suffers from withdrawal.

Now, the level cap, stats of the body, and the increase in stats on level up, it all depends on the base, which means, on what the condition of your body is when it has no magic power inside it. Normally, one worries about it only on reaching their level cap. Why? Because, magic power gradually strengthens the base.

When a person grows, or levels up, their muscles grow, their stamina increases and various other physical and magical improvements. This happens because their magic power gets more refined over time, changing their very foundation.

If a person encounters a wall in their growth or level cap, they can overcome it in two ways.

First, they just have to grit their teeth and gather a huge amount of experience. Enough to level them up about two or three times. When a person gains experience, he gains the knowledge of others. This allows him to progress more quickly in the refinement of his magic power. If I had to give an analogy, it will be like that you and everybody else was researching the same thing. If you progress on your own, you will take a lot of time, and if you steal from other, even if little, your research will progress faster. Well, something similar to that.

Second, you remove all of the magic power in your body, and improve your base from there. However, since you get more addicted to magic power the higher your level, it is quite difficult to use this method. Therefore, most normal people go with first method.

Now, since magic power is used in almost everything, from fighting monsters to washing dishes, it is possible to keep gaining experience continuously. However, the refinement of magic power is possible only when you have magic power.

The condition Lunus gave me was quite simple. First, I had to graduate in the top ten from the academy at the capital. Second, I had to attain level ten by following her commands. By the way, level ten is the requirement to get into the academy.

Though, I accepted it quite easily at first, it was the worst thing I could have done.

The first task she gave me was to get all the magic power out of my body. I enthusiastically tried, only to realize that I cannot properly control it. The first week I spent in learning to control magic power. When I did manage to learn it, I said,

“Alright! Let’s do this!”

But, I failed to get all of the magic power out. I only managed to get sixty percent (that’s the feeling I got) out of my body, and then fell down asleep. I woke up feeling a pain in my cheek to see that Lunus was glaring daggers at me. Apparently, she had slapped me to break my sleep.

I tried again only to fail. This continued for a week when I finally managed to get all the magic power out of my body. I felt happy. But, then she dropped a bomb. A real bomb. She said to me,

“Start running in this field. Not as fast as you can go, but still reasonably fast. After you get tired, do pushups, situps, squats and other exercises. And continue till I say stop.”

It was insane after that. I felt my arms and legs were made of lead and I couldn’t even properly concentrate because I was feeling dizzy. I started gasping for breath only after a few hundred steps of running and several repititions of other exercises. It was the worst. I knew I could have done better.

Only after doing it for several days did I realize that my body becomes weak the moment I remove all magic power. When I told Lunus about it, she explained to me about the base and mana. And she also told me this,

“The rate of experience gain in this state is almost zero. Because when you are trying to raise levels without hunting or doing something, the mana does not get refined properly. Because there is no mana to be refined. Though, very slowly the mana gets restored and you can refine that and gain experience.”

It was ridiculous. I started working extra hard after that. As the magic power in my body gets restored, it becomes easier to run. Though, always, at that time, Lunus will appear out of nowhere and tell me to remove my magic power. I will run again after that.

Since that day, every night, my whole body would feel as if I am being torn apart. Every movement will require a lot of willpower. Though, the next day they were all better. In fact, even better that before. Apparently, magic power also improves recovery.

In two months, I gained a level successfully. Though, only after that did I understand the severity of situation. Every level, the experience required to level up gets doubled. I was only level six, so if this continued, I will never be able to become level ten before the academy entrance exams.

Luckily, after that, I started taking lessons in combat arts. I would practice close combat arts daily for two hour along with practicing two weapons one hour each. One hour of close combat training and one hour of weapon training in both morning and evening. And building up the base for rest of the day. This increased the amount of experience gained by leaps and bounds.

It was hell, but I persevered and managed to achieve level ten. And now, I am on my last day of training. Tomorrow, I will depart for the capital with Lunus. I practiced close combat arts with Lunus and weapons with Brad, the adventurer guy. Though, they both were always in their awakened state.

Brad came carrying his sword. I also picked up my weapon. A greatsword made of rock. It was made by Lunus with her earth magic. Though it does not have an artistic value in any way, its weight is a destructive force in and of itself. As my base improved, my stats skyrocketed, to the point that I am thankful for this hellish training. If I had just hunted monsters and increased my level, I would have never been able to lift it in my base state. I had trained with other weapons made of rocks as well. From light weapons like daggers, short swords and sabers, to slightly heavy weapons like speards, swords, longswords and heavy weapons like axe, halberd and greatsword as well.

“Ya ready?”

 

“Yes!”

“Hmm. You’ve come a long way, kid. Though, I suppose you’re not a kid anymore now.”

As he said that, he had a bitter smile on his face. He had trained me for almost two years and in that time, we had gotten pretty close. He now feels like an older brother to me. As I was thinking this, he said to me in a serious tone,

“Ray.”

This was the first time he had called me as if I was an adult. I also became serious and listened to him.

“You seriously want to become an adventurer. You have proved this by enduring this training. It is a training regime similar to the elites of Paharun. They are monstorously strong. So much so that, each one of them can match ten knights in combat strength. Though their training is much harsher, it does not change the fact that this training was not easy either.

But, it had a reason. Lunus, she cares about you. So much so that I am surprised she allowed you to become an adventurer. At first, I thought she was just being stubborn, but as I got to know her, I knew she just said everything for your good.

Adventuring is a dangerous job. Life and death go hand in hand for an adventurer. That is why, to increase your chance of survival by even a little, she gave you this training menu. I hope you understand. Don’t hate her. Everything she did was for your sake.”

Honestly, I already knew about it. She was too good a friend to care about me like that. And there was something about her, that I just couldn’t bring myself to hate her even if I wanted to. That’s why I silently nodded to Brad. After that, we raise our weapons and began our routine.

0