Episode 1: Into the Rabbit Hole (Part 4/Myst) to
241 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hey young'un! Stop your daydreaming and take up your post. Something tells me it's gonna be quite busy today."

An aged voice snapped me out of my trip to memory lane. 

Mr. Len Reynolds is the longest serving active village guard in Lindorf. He still refuses to retire even at the ripe old age of sixty five. He also had this weird rivalry with grampa Galvan back when he was still in the village. They once entered a honeyed bread eating contest during one of our annual spring festivals. It didn't end pretty...

"I told you to stop spacing out and get into your post you blasted youngster. That old fogey Galvan didn't teach you nuthin bout discipline! I'll whip you nice and proper and turn you into a respectable adult yet. That'll show that geezer... Quitting while he's ahead... The old fool..."

I couldn't help but smile at his remarks. Regardless of how they treated each other outwardly, I guess gramps and Mr. Reynolds could still be counted as friends. And he wasn't exactly the picture of youth himself. Though his enthusiasm could put all of us youngsters to shame. 

As soon as I stationed myself on the guard booth just outside the village gate, the sound of hooves trotting resounded from the road. 

"Hello again lad. It's nice to be back out here after so long. Sure beats lazing around in a dreary office all day. Wahahaha!"

The lively greeting came from a tall, portly man sporting a rather distinct beard. He's Milton Pavel, the founder of the Pavel trading firm and a long time family friend. He was leading a large caravan filled with merchandise, presumably on his way to Almadeus for trade. 

"Hello uncle Milton. I thought you're already relegated to administrative duties. Don't tell me you ran away from Matilda again." I greeted back. 

"Pah! That ungrateful daughter of mine. I keep telling her life cooped up in one place just isn't for me. But she just wont listen. That stubborn lass. Takes after her mother too much I tell ya!" uncle Milton complained.

Matilda Pavel was uncle's eldest daughter and his most talented protege. Uncle planned to hand over the firm to whoever displayed most talent to make business flourish from among his associates. Blood ties were meaningless. 

But his own daughter blew past all the competition and led the firm to its most prosperous period yet since its founding. Uncle may say otherwise, but deep inside, I know he's very proud of her. 

My mood dampened somewhat after thinking of the lively young woman with an uncanny eye for prime opportunities and possessed decisiveness and nerves that rivaled even the most seasoned merchants in the continent.

"So different from me..." I muttered.

"What's wrong lad? You look out of it." uncle Milton asked. I shook my head and fixed my downcast expression.

"It's nothing uncle. Anyway, you're quite early this time. The Lumia festival's still next month. Why'd you bring so many wagons with you?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Oh, those eh? Well, they're for transport. I've been commissioned to buy a large amount of goods from Almadeus by the kingdom." uncle Milton answered readily.

"Must be a huge deal." I remarked in an amazed tone. 

"Well, yes... You could say that." uncle replied with a little less enthusiasm in his voice. 

"Hey idiot! Stop holding us up and clear the way. We're in a hurry here. We need to buy those souvenirs for the royal wedding pronto!" a young boy shouted impatiently. The boy, Milo Pavel, was uncle's only son, and also his youngest child. 

He was as impertinent as ever. But getting annoyed with him was the thing furthest away from my thoughts right now. Something about what he said really bothered me. 

"Uncle... What's he saying?..." I asked with a trembling voice. I desperately wanted to deny the possibility. I truly hoped I only heard wrong. 

"Uh... Well... You see lad... The thing is..."

Uncle Milton couldn't give me a straight answer and started to beat around the bush. It made my chest tighten uncomfortably even more. Milo's next words drove it in with finality.

"I said we need to buy souvenirs for the royal wedding between the celebrated hero of the continent, Savior Vance Rayleigh and our beloved Queen Felise Altasia Vandel! A match made in heaven if I do say so myself." Milo quipped with a know-it-all attitude.

With that... 

My heart sank.

***

Come to think of it, this outcome was pretty much expected.

Vance rapidly rose to fame as an adventurer and was granted the highest rank in the trade, the Overdragoon rank, at the young age of sixteen. 

He then met up with Felise after getting caught up in a battle between the forces of the corrupt nobles and the royal family loyalists. He proceeded to lend his aid to her and became one of her most trusted aides.

When the war with the demons began, he rendered unrivaled feat after unrivaled feat, defeating a majority of the Demon Lord's most trusted generals in the field of battle.

When he finally defeated the Demon Lord, his name was already carved in history and became the stuff of legends. He was hailed as the greatest hero of our time.  

He was even called things like "The Princess' Invincible Champion", "The Slayer of Evil", "The Holy Savior" and "The Sword of the Goddess".

I gathered those tidbits from the bards and acting troupes passing through Lindorf a while back.

It wouldn't be strange for the people to support the wedding of the great hero and his beloved queen. Unlike me, Vance was able to stay by her side and become her strength after all. 

It makes so much sense in my head. But my heart refuses to accept it. 

"Big bro..."

I looked up to see my little sister with a worried expression on her adorable face. I tried to smile to reassure her, but my face cramped up and the best I could manage was a broken grin. 

Elaine pulled me towards her. She placed my head on her bossom as I leaned on her sideways. She then proceeded to stroke my hair gently. 

Really now. To be comforted by my little sister of all things. Just how pathetic could I get?

I've cooped myself inside my room all day after I heard the news. I even ran away from work while being scolded by Mr. Reynolds earlier this morning. I couldn't manage to crack a smile or hold an amiable conversation even if I wanted to right now anyway. 

It seems my little sister has already heard the news as well, so she headed to my room in worry. It was warm in her embrace. But this wasn't gonna last either.

She was going to head for the Almadeus Theocracy next month to enroll in Luminaris Magic Academy under a scholarship. Her talent in holy magic was extraordinary and the village priest recommended to nurture her gift. From what I was told, she held the potential to ascend to the position of Light Oracle. So, in the end I'll be left behind again. 

Actually, I knew in my heart that part of why I'm in such a sorry state right now was caused by myself. I was just running away from that fact. 

The door to my room was suddenly flung open. 

"Mom!" Elaine exclaimed.

"Hello dear. How is your brother holding up?" my mother asked in a worried tone. 

"Well... He's like this mom." Elaine replied and patted my head lightly.

"Oh, I see. Well then... Could I bother you to step outside for a little bit dear? I need to have a little heart to heart talk with your brother." mom instructed. Was it my imagination, or did I just hear her crack her knuckles?

Elaine went out obediently and left me alone with mom. If I had known what was to follow, I would have desperately clung to my little sister as I begged my mom for mercy. Alas, t'was already far too late for regrets.

"Well then dear... Time for a little bit of tough love." my mom declared with a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

I broke into cold sweat and prepared for the worst. 

***

I woke up the following morning somewhat feeling more at peace with myself despite my body aching all over. Mom really talked some sense into me last night. 

I cried my heart out for the first time in years ever since two of the most important people in my life left our village for greater things, leaving me behind. Though I'm unclear how much of it was due to grief or to the pain and fear I was subjected to... 

In any case, I've already resolved myself to go and see the two of them during the wedding. Uncle Milton actually had an invitation addressed to me but had a hard time thinking of how to break the news yesterday. He knew us since childhood so he did have an idea regarding our circumstances.

I'm thankful for his concern. Milo was just too blunt. Well, he's just a brat after all. 

Anyway, seeing them would probably allow me to sort out my own feelings. But, more importantly, I want to properly apologize to the two of them. 

For a lot of things. 

Maybe after doing that, I can also begin forgiving myself.

***

The day of the wedding came quickly. I prepared to head out with a  merchant caravan returning to the capital after selling their wares. 

Mom and dad bade me a safe trip. Berry barked at me encouragingly. Elaine sent me a letter wishing me good luck. She was already on route to Almadeus but still went out of her way to send a letter via carrier pigeon.

My heart was light. 

Lighter than it ever has been these past three years. 

The coaches started heading out one by one a few moments later.

***

Before we reach the main road leading to the capital from Lindorf, we must first cross the Elmoore mountains.

It wasn't a hard journey, except for a particular section where we needed to navigate the cliff side. But the way was still relatively wide so the danger of falling was very low. 

Or so we thought.

That assumption was overturned a few moments after we got halfway through the cliff. 

A rock slide happened. Apparently, this section of the mountains had been subjected to heavy downpour last night. The soil was very moist and the area on top of the cliff had been cleared out of large trees due to unrestricted logging.

We were unfortunate enough to get caught up in it. Curse me and my rotten luck! 

A mother was hysterically calling her young daughter's name. I was actually with said daughter. More specifically, I was holding on to her to prevent her from falling with my right hand and was holding on to a branch that stuck out from the side of the cliff with my left. 

My arms were gradually getting tired. I glanced at the child below me. She looked at me with eyes filled with bottomless dread. I gritted my teeth in resolve. 

I poured mana towards my limbs and activated bodily enhancement magic. It was one of the few magic techniques I was competent in. I concentrated the mana on my arms and threw the child back up with all my strength. She crashed right towards her mother who frantically embraced her. 

Just as I was preparing to launch myself up as well, another accident happened. The branch broke. 

Damn! 

Damn!  Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! 

This can't be happening!

It just can't.

Why is my life suddenly flashing before my eyes? 

What kind of sick joke is this?

Why is life so unfair?

Even death is no better! 

This is just too cruel. 

I... I haven't even seen them again yet... 

I still haven't managed to apologize...

My tears continued to stream out from my eyes and kept scattering in the air as I fell. 

I let out an anguished howl. 

There was unimaginable pain. 

Then it all went black. 

***

My body felt weightless. There was no sound present either. I couldn't even hear my own heart beat. But that was natural.

After all, I'm already dead. 

Was this the netherworld?

"How fitting." I thought.

It was pitch black. 

A black void. 

A world of nothingness.

Or so I thought.

There was something there, releasing an ethereal glow. It came ever closer. 

A glowing, steel giant. 

"A guardian of the netherworld?" I thought.

My senses grew dull once more. I felt them slowly fading. 

The giant gradually disappeared from my consciousness. 

And there was darkness once more. 

***

"Doctor! Doctor Chen!" a girl yelled frantically.

"What is it this time Nemu? I'm kind of busy doing autopsies on the bodies of the corpses right now. If it's another crew member getting space sick, just grab the meds right over there. Should make em right as rain in no time." a bespectacled middle aged man replied in a grumpy tone. 

The girl shook her head vigorously.

"That's not it doctor. We found one. We found a survivor."

The man looked at her skeptically.

"Nonsense. There are signs indicating prolonged, intense genion particle exposure as cause of death for most of the subjects. Even if their ship managed to avoid total destruction, unrestricted exposure to the particle would have still shut down all bodily vital functions. Having survivors is impossible." the man denied.

The girl strode forward and cupped the man's cheeks with both her hands while pouting. 

"WE! HAVE! VITALS! HE! REALLY! IS! ALIVE!" she asserted.

The man, cowed by the girl's forceful insistence, reluctantly followed after her to take a look. 

His eyes opened as wide as saucers as soon as he saw the said survivor.

"My word... He truly is alive."

He turned to the girl with an incredulous expression.

"Nemu... It's a miracle!"

4