Episode 2: Suddenly, It’s SciFi! (Part 2/Ryuu)
194 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After filing my job application at the local Job Center, I started heading towards the nearby subway station in order to hurry back home. It was now past three in the afternoon, and Rin's classes should be ending soon. I need to prepare some dinner.

However, along the way, the sudden rumbling which came from my stomach made me halt my steps. This made me remember I'd not had anything for lunch yet. 

I was so preoccupied with the matter of finding a job that the thought of eating completely slipped my mind.

I scratched my head in embarrassment and decided to grab a quick bite. Maybe I should buy some for Rin while I'm at it too. She's definitely going to throw a fit once she finds out I'd quit school just for her.

Fortunately, there's a relatively cheap grilled skewer stall nearby. Rin loves their lamb skewers there. I'll also bring some back for dinner then.

After deciding on the matter, I resumed walking and started heading for the skewer stall instead, totally oblivious to the danger trailing behind me.

***

"Target is changing course. Heading towards Point F-3. Number 05 and 06, prepare for interception. Clear the way for them 04."

"This is 04. Sweep complete. Way's clear."

"This is 05. Copy that 04. Mobilizing now."

"06 acknowledged. Moving in."

***

"Man that was delicious!" I exclaimed in contentment after stuffing myself with four piping hot meat skewers. Old lady Bai sure knows how to grill. 

They sell for cheap too. But, well, considering the long lines of customers in front of her quaint little stall, I'm sure she still manages to rake in quite the profit.

Hmm. Maybe setting up a food stall may not be such a bad idea. Rin always said I could whip out a rather mean bowl of congee after all. Perhaps I'll consider it once I manage to rake in some capital.

After rounding the bend ahead, I'd be out of the alley and back on the main road. I hasten my steps while thinking how to go about explaining my decision to drop out to my little sister.

"Halt! Police!" a cry suddenly rang out from the path ahead. Immediately afterwards, a rough looking guy came running while clutching what looks to be a retro style leather bag near his armpit like a football athlete. And he's barreling straight towards me.

My body instinctively moved before I could realize and I tackled the guy, dropping the newly purchased meat skewers on the ground in the process.

Oh damn. What the hell was I thinking? We both frantically scrambled to our feet. The guy dropped the bag he was holding and looked at me menacingly. He seems hella pissed!

He then took out something from his jacket pocket. Oh shi—?! That's a vibro-knife! How the hell did a poor looking sob like him get a vibro-knife?! 

Military grade. Ultra high speed oscillation. Can cut through steel like cutting tofu. That's it. I'm screwed. I'm totally screwed...

But before I could even properly process the danger I was in, the criminal suddenly fell to the ground while convulsing wildly. Sparks were shooting up near his feat.

A taser mine.

A device that emits a non-lethal electric surge which would incapacitate targets.

"Hey! You okay kid?" came a voice from ahead.

I then saw a uniformed police officer running towards me. It seems he was the one who threw the mine. I noticed a few of them hanging on his belt.

I let out a sigh of relief after seeing him.

He reached us quickly and apprehended the criminal with alloy handcuffs. 

After making sure his quarry was secure, the police officer turned towards me sporting a wry grin.

"I suppose I should say good job and thanks for the assist kid." he began. "But that was still way too reckless. The criminal was armed and dangerous. What would have happened if I didn't manage to make it in time?" he admonished.

I slightly bowed my head while feeling guilty. "Sorry officer. My body kinda moved on it's own." I explained.

The policeman shook his head lightly and sighed. "Alright. Okay then. I'll let it slide this time. But you better be more careful next time, okay?" he relented.

"Yessir!" I answered in a snappy voice and gave him a playful salute. The officer gave a hearty chuckle at the sight of me.

"Well then, I better get our perp to the station. Oh, and before I forget, I'd like you to accompany me to give a statement regarding this incident. I hope you don't mind." he requested. 

"Don't worry. It won't take long." the police officer added after seeing me hesitate a bit.

After a moment's deliberation, I eventually relented and agreed to go with him.

The officer smiled and turned around to lead the way after making the criminal float through the use of a standard police issue anti-gravity module. Since his back was facing against me, I failed to see the sharp glint which flashed through his eyes for an instant.

***

"Code Red! Code Red! Subject has been compromised! I repeat! Subject has been compromised! Shit! They really got to him! What the hell happened to Shield 3 and Shield 4?!"

"This is Shield 5. Shields 3 and 4 are down. Dammit! They got us good."

"Oracle here. The surveillance cameras really had been tampered with. We still don't know how in blazes they managed it but they sure pulled it off perfectly. You really can't underestimate the Emperium. Good thing Nightingale noticed."

"Nice catch with the security footage Nightingale. All personnel, initiate countermeasures immediately. Get the subject outta there!"

"This is Shield 0. I'm going in. I'll leave the follow-up to you guys."

***

I was following after the police officer while lamenting the fact that the lamb skewers I bought for dinner had been ruined. Oh well. I'll make it up to Rin tomorrow. I'll give her a call later so she won't worry.

Then, right as we neared the exit—

"S'cuse me folks..."

A miserable looking beggar pushing an old antigrav shopping cart walked near us.

And, in practically an instant—

*kacha

Pulled out a mean looking pulse assault rifle from the cart.

The policeman pulled out a high powered genion pistol from his holster in retaliation. Hey?! That's not standard issue at all! Not by a long shot!

They opened fire at each other almost at the same time. Energy shields quickly enveloped both parties to stave of the projectiles. 

I was stunned to a momentary standstill after witnessing the crazy turn of events.

But then—

*clack

I heard something metallic drop to the pavement and looked up to see the criminal who got apprehended earlier snarling at me from above. He was still floating. But his hands were now free.

He suddenly dived towards me. He was maneuvering freely in the air. That ain't a standard issue antigrav module either dammit!

Right before he managed to capture me—

*bang

A dull impact rang out and the criminal guy was sent flying to the opposite end of the alleyway.

It was the beggar. He was holding a still sparking pulse shotgun with his left hand while firing away the pulse rifle with his left. He was dual wielding!

I probably shouldn't be thinking this, especially in this situation. But damn! That's way too cool man!

"Dammit kid! Stop gawking and start running! Get outta here while I hold em off!" the beggar shouted, jolting me from my stupor. Next thing I knew, I was fleeing for dear life. 

What the hell is all this?! 

I thought this stuff only happens in the movies?!

3