Episode 5: Need Some Fantasy Back in My Sci-fi (Part 3/Ryuu[?]/Asha)
134 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What came before my eyes was a veritable tragedy just waiting to happen.

The wyvern I saw earlier was now down on the ground, snarling while facing a huge tree with gnarled roots protruding out of the soil. A person was trapped between the two.

It was a young girl. She looked to be about fourteen or fifteen. Coffee brown slightly curly locks framed an oval face with fine features, which were now marred by evident panic. 

She wore the standard habit of an acolyte from the Almadeus Theocracy. She kept backing up and trying to squeeze herself deeper in between the large roots. Tears and snot were dripping down her face which was pale white from fear.

Just what was she doing here without an escort? She didn't seem like the type of acolyte who knew how to fight, seeing as she's holding a short magic stave instead of a mace.

I looked around and found some other equipment lying on the ground. There were a couple swords and a round buckler. Judging from the materials used, they were more for show than anything else. These things were brittle and didn't count for shit in a battle. From the way they're strewn about all over the place, it seems the ones who brought them just threw them away without a care. 

"Figures." I muttered. Didn't think people still pulled off shit like pretending to be adventurers. I thought the Guild cracked down on these types of activities already? But should I blame the con-men, or this girl who actually fell for this sort of cliche stuff?

"Hyaaah!" another mournful scream rang out.

Whoa! Now's not the time for this. I need to distract that monster somehow. I prepared to channel my mana while looking for a suitable rock to throw, since I wasn't that good with magic projectiles. 

[_DIVER, YOU'RE CHOSEN COURSE OF ACTION IS FUTILE.]

"Whaddya mean 'futile'? Stop distracting me, you stupid A.I.!" I retorted in annoyance. "I have a girl to save here, y'know!"

[_IT IS DEFINITELY FUTILE, DIVER. YOUR VIRTUAL BODY DOES NOT HAVE ANY FUNCTIONING LIMBS.]

"Eh?"

...Say what now?

I paused and tried to properly assess myself this time.

"What the fu—"

The hell?! I really didn't have any limbs! And it seemed that I was actually floating! 

[_DIVER, I HAVE TAKEN THE LIBERTY TO PULL UP YOUR STATUS SCREEN. PLEASE CONFIRM YOUR CURRENT CONDITION THROUGH IT.]

A pop-up window appeared on the upper left corner of my vision. It displayed stats and diagnostic readings which I barely understood, and a 3D model of my current appearance.

"You gotta be kidding me..." I gasped in shock.

What appeared on screen was a small, formless mass of undulating energy. It looked a bit like pale blue flames dancing in the wind. But it also somehow looked weirdly pixelated. Square shaped motes of light constantly winked in and out of existence around it.

"What in the world..." I gaped; totally lost for words.

[_AS STATED BEFORE, DUE TO THE LACK OF RELEVANT DATA, CERTAIN FUNCTIONS OF YOUR VIRTUAL BODY REMAIN INACTIVE. THE FUNCTION SIMULATING PHYSICAL PRESENCE IS ONE OF THEM.] 

[_THERE IS A NEED TO COLLECT ENOUGH DATA IN ORDER TO CREATE A FULLY FUNCTIONAL BODY, TAILORED TO THE DIVER'S SPECIFICATIONS. TEMPORARILY, A STRIPPED DOWN VERSION WITH BASIC ABILITIES WAS INSTEAD PROVIDED.]

"What the heck?! How am I supposed to do shit with this thing then?!" I exclaimed in worry. That wyvern's looking angrier by the moment.

[_THIS IS WHY READING THE USER MANUAL WAS RECOMMENDED EARLIER.]

"Yes, I admit I was carried away earlier and got too excited, okay. But can't you at least help me do something about this situation right now. That girl's really gonna end up as wyvern chow at this rate!" I pleaded desperately.

After staying unresponsive for a few moments, the A.I. finally relented and gave a suggestion. 

[_REQUEST ACCEPTED. THE USE OF FIRST CIRCLE SPELL MANA SHOCK IS RECOMMENDED.] 

Mana Shock? Why? I mean, sure, I know it. But I suck at fine control and aiming, so the spell projectile flies away in weird angles whenever I cast the damn thing. And my casting time is hella slow when it comes to spells unrelated to basic body strengthening.

[_THE SUB-SYSTEMS WILL HELP WITH THE AETHER PROCESSING AND TRAJECTORY CORRECTIONS. THE PROBABILITY OF SUCCESS IS 83.2%]

"Really? Sweet!" I replied. I was a bit curious about why the A.I. called mana 'aether', just like the folks from the upper continent, but I shelved the thought for the meantime. The situation was getting increasingly dire after all.

Alright! Let's do this thing!

Mana from the surroundings rapidly converged towards me. I was surprised about how easy it was to gather and purify the mana. It effectively reduced my previous casting time by more than half, putting me on par with most high tier 2nd circle mages. This sure was convenient. The spell was ready in a flash.

"Eat this, you overgrown lizaaaard!" I screamed. The bluish white magic projectile sailed through the air and squarely hit the wyvern on side of its head. It staggered for a bit, and then turned towards my direction. It then roared angrily towards me.

Great! That sure got its attention. Now I just need to properly lead it outta here. But I need to tell that girl to use this chance and flee first.

[_DIVER, THE COMMUNICATION FUNCTION IS ALSO NOT ACTIVE AT THE MOMENT. PHYSICALLY CALLING OUT TO HER IS NOT POSSIBLE.]

"What? Then how am I supposed to warn her?"

[_THE SUB-SYSTEMS WILL ALSO PROVIDE AN ALTERNATIVE WAY FOR COMMUNICATION. DIVER ONLY NEEDS TO FACE THE GIRL AND SPEAK OUT YOUR THOUGHTS.]

"Gocha!"

I turned towards the girl and shouted for her to get away. She looked shocked for a moment, but then nodded repeatedly at me in reply. Great! I don't know how, but I somehow got through to her.

"GruaaaAAAaaH!"

The wyvern couldn't endure it anymore and pounced towards me. Okay then, bastard. How about you and me play some tag!

***

_Asha Bleublanc

_Almadeus Theocracy / Fanrine Valley - North

Asha was given the biggest scare of her life today. It was also the most life-threatening situation she had ever faced ever since she became an acolyte apprentice training directly under the Main Church.

She'd only wanted to head to the wilds in order to find some Rheimwort flowers for her dear friend, who had stayed cooped away in her room for days due the news of her beloved brother's death. She was the first real friend Asha made ever since she'd arrived at the Theocracy, and her concern for her friend spurred her to action.

Another acolyte told her about how the incense made from the dried petals of the Rheimwort flower had great soothing effects on people, and could even help with maladies of the heart the other day. So, after remembering it, she had set out to the local Adventurers Guild to post a request.

But, as luck would have it, nobody presented themselves to take on the request. Perhaps it was due to the amount of reward not being specified. Adventurers were doing this often dangerous occupation to make a living after all.

When she'd almost lost all hope, a group casually approached her and offered her their services. They told her they were moved by her concern for her friend, and agreed to help for no compensation. She became elated, and the group set out for Fanrine Valley the next day.

They went deeper and deeper in, due to the urging of the Party leader, who said the freshest Rheimwort flowers bloomed in the deepest part of the valley. Asha innocently followed, oblivious to the odd glint in each of the men's eyes at the time.

But when they got further north, something unexpected happened; a wild wyvern suddenly appeared and attacked them. Perhaps, coincidentally, this event could be considered both lucky and unlucky for the hapless former rural village girl.

Her companions turned tail almost immediately, and left her to fend for herself. She desperately ran away, but had eventually gotten herself cornered at the base of an old tree. She screamed in fear and despair. 

And then...

...'It' appeared. 

A bluish white light raced through the air and hit the raging wyvern. It turned away from her and roared at the new intruder. She also turned towards the direction where that spell was fired from, and got shocked by what she saw.

It was an indistinct bluish white 'thing' floating above the ground. Asha got confused. 'What is that thing?' she inwardly thought.

It suddenly turned towards her, and strange symbols started to appear from its surface.

ヽ(゚Д゚)ノ *Run away, girl! Get outta here!

She was dumbfounded at first, but somehow understood what 'it' wanted to say. She nodded profusely to tell 'it' she would do as 'it' instructed.

(≧◡≦) *Great!

ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ *Okay then, bastard. How about you and me play some tag!

≡≡≡=(ノTдT)ノ *Uwaaaah! Just like I thought! Facing a live wyvern is still fucking scary, godammit!

She stood blanky for a few moments as she watched her weird savior lead the wyvern away, but she snapped out of it soon after and began to run towards the foot of the valley in great haste.

2