Chapter 1: Envy for Freedom
149 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The horizon felt blank as Nathan stared through the window. Watching the birds fly and soar in the sky made him envious of their freedom.

At this point, the professor's anger was definitely soaring. 

Thud.

"Are you really daydreaming right now Mr. Gonzales?" A stern look awaited Nathan as he looked at the professor in front.

It might not have mattered to the professor if Nathan was just like other students that is still able to answer when called, the problem is Nathan doesn't even participate in the lecture and all his tests come in hanging by a thread. 

This in turn made Nathan very famous towards the professors that are teaching Nathan's class. Though "infamous" was the more apt word.

Nathan continued looking at the professor, not glancing once again towards the window.

The professor was still feeling a little iffy towards the nonchalant reaction of Nathan but he continued to teach for it was unfair to be stopped at the discussion because of one particular student.

The class continued without any interruptions until their schedule for the particular subject was now done. Before leaving, the professor reminded Nathan that the latter is but a first-year student of the university and if he doesn't want to fail, Nathan needs to keep his behavior in check.

"You've been targeted by a professor again, how sick is that!" A voice came behind Nathan's ear.

It was a friend he met as he entered the university, Warlock. The reason why Nathan befriended Warlock was that they have different personalities, it was more interesting that way. Nathan was more of a silent and tired guy in the classroom while Warlock the energetic type which befriended all of their classmates.

"It's not like I did anything," Nathan shrugged.

"It's because you're not doing anything, pal." Warlock said as he tapped Nathan's shoulder.

"Anyway, you mind coming with me tonight?" Warlock suggested.

Nathan asks what's happening at night, with Warlock telling the former that their family has found a tomb somewhere in the city.

"I was given permission to watch, but with the condition that I don't do anything except watch. Don't you find that exciting?" Warlock knew that Nathan wanted excitement, he had no doubt in his mind that Nathan would accept his invitation.

"What's exciting about that?" Nathan's response bewildered the excited Warlock.

"It's a tomb, and an unexplored one at that. That doesn't make it exciting?" Warlock said, confused.

"You're just going to watch outside, why are you so excited?" Nathan said logically.

"If I nudged them a little bit, perhaps they would change their mind. It is still a tomb nonetheless if we don't get the permission, it would be fun!" Warlock was eagerly persuading Nathan.

With hesitation, Nathan finally gave in as he gave a green light to Warlock.

"Don't be late, I'll wait for you at our front gate at 7pm sharp." Warlock said with delight.

After that small conversation, the day went by just like every other day. It went by fast; Nathan had just arrived home.

"Nathan, is that you?" His mother, Thraia looked by the door.

"Drop your things and change clothes," Thraia said before asking Nathan to help her do the cooking.

After a few minutes, Nathan went and helped his mother. Time flew by so fast and it was time for supper.

"Call your younger brother, tell him it's time to eat dinner. I'm sure he's busy with his precious games again." His mother can't help but sigh as he sat by the dinner table.

Knock…knock.

Hearing no response, Nathan proceeded to enter the room. His brother, Neo was still busy playing his game, paying no attention to Nathan who had just entered the room.

Nathan tapped his brother's shoulder which made the latter tense and spooked up. Seeing Nathan, Neo continued his game.

"Why are you here? Can't you see, I'm busy?" With eyes glued to the screen, Neo asked.

"Mom is calling, it's time for dinner. You can always go back to that game later on."

"I'm still busy, tell mom I'll eat once I'm finished." Neo replied as he aggressively pressed his mouse.

Seeing his resolute brother, Nathan went and directly pulled the plug. Nathan didn't wait for his brother's reaction as he headed for the dinner table.

"What did you do!" Neo roared but he didn't continue. He stood up and also headed to the dinner table but with a scornful eye towards Nathan.

"What was the noise I heard back there?" Thraia asked with a raised eyebrow.

Before Nathan could speak up, his brother beat him to it and answered, "It was nothing, I just lost at the game."

"What did I tell you? Don't take those games so seriously, it's bad for your health." Her mother's lecture continued as their dinner commenced. The two brothers kept their silence.

After the dinner, Nathan went and asked permission from his mother that he will go out for a tad bit and we'll return soon after.

Thraia didn't agree for obvious reasons and before going to her room, commanded him to wash the dishes since his brother went immediately to his room.

Nathan washed the dishes, and not long after he went out. He wouldn't be reprimanded if he went back just before his mother looked for him. Warlock's villa was just a bit far, but with his bike it would take no more than 5 minutes.

The whole tomb intrigued him, but he made a note that after 10 minutes he'll go back home.

As Nathan arrived at the villa, Warlock was by the gate waiting for him.

"What took you so long? Anyway, let's go by car," As Warlock said, a black car came from behind the gate. Nathan mentioned that he'll at most take 10 minutes outside the tomb, Warlock agreeing with a nod as the car drives away from the villa.

At the tomb, Nathan and Warlock had just arrived.

"Why is there an outsider here?" An old man's voice came from the side.

 

4