Chapter 6: Long Night For Some People
39 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nathan woke up, he didn’t know for how long he had fallen asleep, he checked the time and it was almost time for dinner.

He opened the door and went to the kitchen, Thraia was busy cooking.

“Did Neo talk to you?” Nathan asked.

“Talk about what?” Thraia dropped what she was doing and faced Nathan.

Nathan repeated what Neo talked to him earlier, his mother calmly listening.

“He didn’t talk to me; can you check in his room if he’s there? I haven’t seen him since I got here, so I went right ahead to cook.” Worry was visible on Thraia’s face.

Nathan obliged and opened the door, there was a bump on the bed. He knew what it was but still grabbed the blanket on top. It was a stack of pillows. Times have changed so Nathan thought it was kind of funny that Neo employed this strategy, they don’t work anymore though and he can’t seem to recall a time where it actually worked in real life.

“He’s not here,” Nathan said.

“Where did that kid go? Can you look for him? He doesn’t even read my messages,” Thraia said as she messages Neo through the phone.

Nathan agreed as he prepared to leave. He went back to Neo’s room to see if some information can be found, though it appears no information on where Neo could’ve gone was left.

He gave up searching Neo’s room, Nathan wore a jacket and headed out.

Nathan rode his bicycle through the cold night filled with lights, his thought was to go to a friend of Neo that he actually knows.

At the house of Neo’s friend.

He knocked on the door waiting for someone to enter.

“Who is it?” A female voice said at the back of the door.

The door didn’t open until Nathan introduced himself as Neo’s brother.

“Nathan? What were you doing here.” The woman knew Nathan, not personally though. She always hears that name whenever Neo comes to visit her son.

“Is Neo here?” Nathan asked.

“No, it’s been some time since Neo came to visit here.” The woman said as she called for her son.

 Colton walked to the door and was shocked to see Nathan here. He and Nathan already meet but the disposition that Nathan is exuding now is different from his past self.

“Is Neo with you?” Before Nathan could ask, Colton beat him to it. Colton looked at Nathan back but no one was there.

“That’s why I’m here actually, " He said he was going to hang out with his friends. Your mother said that he’s not here, do you know where he could’ve gone?”

Colton changed his expression as Nathan explained, the former stayed silent. Seeing this Nathan said, “I know that you know.”

Colton’s mother also noticed the shift in his son’s expression and also asked where Neo was?

Colton hesitated but eventually gave in, Nathan was the only one he thinks can help Neo now.

“I believe he's with Maddox and his gang.” Colton confessed.

“A gang!?” His mother was shocked and Nathan’s expression changed.

“Do you know where they usually hang out?” Nathan asked.

“Yes, do you know that old building that is waiting for a buyer. The one near the riverbank? I think I heard them saying that.” Colton nodded.

Nathan wasted no more time and immediately headed out for the riverbank.

After a few minutes he arrived. The door of the building was opened. Nathan casually walked through.

There was no one on the first floor so he went upstairs. Although it was dark for there is no electricity in the building, he saw his brother

Neo was sitting at the corner, in Nathan's current position, he doesn’t know Neo’s condition. He walked forward but Neo must’ve already seen him and told him not to move.

Nathan obliged, he just stood there.

“Why aren’t you saying anything?” Neo asked with a weak voice.

Neo continued asking Nathan again and again, with tears slowly piling up. Nathan stayed standing, not answering Neo’s question as he stared at the condition of his brother.

Neo was all bruised up, his face full of swelling. His clothes are full of dirt, seemingly from all the rough up things done to him. Cuts are also all over his brother, with blood on the floor.

“Don’t tell mom,” Neo pleaded Nathan.

Nathan remembered what Neo said earlier at home and said, “Fine, but you’ll be coming home with me.”

“You already agreed but now you’re asking me to go home?!” Neo said with all his strength.

“I said that I won’t tell mom not that I won’t be taking you home. Besides, if you go to the hospital, they’ll just call our mother either way,” Nathan reasoned which left Neo speechless.

“Don’t worry, mother won’t see you in this state.” Nathan assured.

Nathan took off his jacket as he let Neo use it instead. Neo didn’t reject the offer as he stood up.

“Let’s go.” Nathan said.

They walked to the exit. Neo, who was in the dark building for how long, saw the clear night sky for the first time today. He felt that this night was going to be a long one.

Nathan didn’t ride his bicycle as walked together with Neo in the cold night.

They visited a pharmacy first to buy a first aid kit. It was a good thing that Nathan brought his money with him since apparently Neo had his money also taken from him.

They continue walking towards their house but Neo feels uneasy. He looked at Nathan who appeared relatively calm. Neo remembered something that happened a long time ago, but he erased it in his mind.

After a while, they finally arrived at home. They took a while as Nathan needed to adjust to his injured brother.

They knocked on the door, and it immediately opened. Thraia was expressing her anger on her face, but before she could talk her mind out, Nathan stopped her.

1