3. Chapter – Descent from the mountain
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before their departure, Mei Lin's family bid them farewell. Mei Lin's mother provided them with some food for the journey, and they also took a tent and basic sleeping instruments. Each of them carried a basket with knives for collecting herbs. Mei Lin had a picture book with drawings of plants.

As they ventured into the forest, they encountered Li Wei's older siblings. The siblings began giving commands to Li Wei, instructing him on when to return and what he needed to find in the forests. However, it was a futile one-sided conversation as Li Wei seemed indifferent. The siblings grew even more frustrated, but they had no means to make his journey worse.

No one considered the consequences if something were to happen to Mei Lin, the future disciple of the Green Jade Sect; everyone in the village would be punished.

As they entered the forest, the siblings began plotting what they would do to Mei Lin and Li Wei. Typically, when someone went for medical herbs in the harsh seasons, they risked their lives. This information was well-known in the village. After the harvest season, a few villagers from different villages visited the mountain village for trade. The siblings were acquainted with some individuals from wanderer groups, and they planned to bribe a few of them to venture into the forest and eliminate both Li Wei and Mei Lin.

The mountainous road ahead was nearly non-existent, urging them to forge their path through the wilderness. Mei Lin, in her element, began to share insights about various herbs and their unique properties. She delved into the intricacies of their uses and how different kinds could serve various purposes.

For Li Wei, this conversation was exceptionally gratifying. As somewhat of an outcast in the village, being adopted and lacking a true familial connection, he found solace in the knowledge he had acquired about his lineage. He had come to learn that he was, in fact, a demon, a revelation that set him apart from the others. While the identity of the being within his core remained a mystery, deep in his soul, he felt an unwavering trust in this core, as if it held the key to his true self.

Enthralled by Mei Lin's melodious voice, Li Wei found himself slipping into a trance, a sensation entirely new to him. Cultivators would often liken this experience to enlightenment, a moment when clarity and understanding washed over one's consciousness.

As the shadows lengthened and the day waned, they stumbled upon a secluded spot, deciding to make it their haven for the night. With deft hands, they set about preparing a crackling fire, its warm glow warding off the encroaching darkness.

They covered nearly ten kilometers on their journey. While Li Wei, accustomed to physical exertion, had no trouble covering such distances, he was able to run ten kilometers in an hour. Mei Lin's delicate constitution struggled against the demands of the harsh journey. Recognizing her fatigue and the fact that night would fall soon, they decided to set up camp.

Constructing a tent and kindling a fire, they prepared for the night ahead. Before they could discuss the rotation for night guard shifts, weariness overcame Mei Lin, and she succumbed to sleep right there by the fire. Her weakened state prevented her from making it to the tent.

Li Wei, attuned to the demands of their journey and understanding Mei Lin's need for rest, tenderly lifted her in his arms and carried her to the safety of the tent. Ensuring she was nestled comfortably, he took a moment to watch over her peaceful slumber before stepping back into the open night.

As a demon, sleep held little meaning for him, and he willingly shouldered the responsibility of being the vigilant guardian. Settling beside the flickering flames, he stood sentinel over their makeshift camp, the dance of shadows and the gentle crackling of the fire accompanying him through the silent hours of the night.

Without Li Wei realizing, they hadn't encountered any wild animals on their journey. He tried to figure out the reason without success. Despite his keen senses and excellent night vision, there was no explanation.

Little did he know, a crystal spider trailed closely behind, its presence hidden in the shadows. The spider, with its overpowering aura, acted as an unnoticed guardian, warding off other creatures and ensuring their journey through the wilderness remained undisturbed. The natural world, sensing the dominance of the crystal spider, hesitated to approach, leaving the duo to traverse the landscape in eerie tranquility.

Li Wei spent the entire night attempting to sense nearby animals, yet the only presence he could discern was Mei Lin's. Her aura emitted a distinct chaos, a feeling that resonated deep within his soul. Over the years, he had come to realize that the various emotions he could sense were all emanating from the souls of the villagers and animals surrounding him. Usually emotions like fear, anger, love, and more.

On the other hand, Li Wei never sensed anything radiating from the large snail or the sleeping deity. From his mysterious core, he gained insights into the snail and the dormant deity. This lack of presence indicates, that they were more formidable cultivators than he was.

Li Wei, being new to cultivation, understood that demons and other races couldn't progress in cultivation without the proper techniques.

In the realm of cultivation, when two cultivators met, they could sense each other's cultivation level if they were in the same realm. If there was a difference in one realm, the lower-ranked cultivator could faintly perceive the cultivation level of the higher-ranked one. This phenomenon could extend even when there was a gap between two realms, although it was less likely.

From this knowledge, he assumed that the sleeping deities and snails were very powerful.

Throughout the night, Li Wei endeavored to better sense Mei Lin's chaotic aura, but his attempts were not met with success. Conversely, he found himself more familiar with his aura. From the knowledge within his mysterious core, he discovered, that he probably has potential for soul techniques. However, without the assistance of a cultivation technique, he realized there was little he could accomplish.

In the face of this disappointing revelation, a new horizon unfolded a chance for Li Wei to step into the realm of cultivation and unravel the mysteries shrouding his enigmatic core.

0