3. Persistence
63 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     Since their early-morning encounter, a single question lingered in Nveh’s mind, resurfacing every time Rhian interacted with him: just what was that capricious man after?

     Rhian threw Nveh into turmoil. The latter found himself not being nearly as irritated with Rhian as he had before, to his own annoyance. On top of that, Nveh’s incompetence irked him, not being able to figure out what he thought of Rhian and having no idea what even he himself wanted.

     Not a single day passed without an interruption to Nveh’s responsibilities, but he just couldn’t hate Rhian for it, as much as he wanted to. All of Rhian’s antics led back to the same question of motivation. He couldn’t believe that he was being pursued just because Rhian wanted to become acquainted with him, but what else was there than that? There was his aptitude for combat, perhaps, but there were many others who were just as skilled, if not more, than him. Along with that, there wasn’t a single thing Nveh could think of that he had that Rhian didn’t, taking into consideration the difference in their status. He could just want to torment Nveh, but he didn’t give that possibility much thought.

     However, time and time again, Rhian would talk to Nveh, finding him when there was no one else around, and reminding him of how he supposedly felt. It drove Nveh away at first. He didn’t want the distraction.

     But he was gradually drawn in as Rhian’s merits revealed themselves to him more than ever before. Everyone already knew that Rhian was a good commander, but his charisma transferred into his regular conversation as well. Looking closer, he knew what people wanted to hear, and he knew how to use it—likely contributing to how he had been able to avoid so much work. It was difficult, but Nveh persisted in his own work. He didn’t want to divert from his duty.

     Rhian was undeniably handsome, too, constantly noted by their peers. His messy orange hair and sharp green eyes complemented his faux raffishness, not helped by how nicely even the squires’ attire suited him. Every time Rhian approached him, Nveh had to remind himself that there were eyes on them. He didn’t want to create a scandal.

     And even after they were both knighted, these games continued.

     With conflicting feelings, Nveh was immediately assigned to the Honor Guard. Charged with directly protecting the viscount family, he had no other choice than to remain near Rhian for almost the entirety of his time on duty. For a while, professionalism and a lack of understanding of his own feelings forced Nveh to keep rejecting Rhian’s advances. But to his subconscious dismay, Rhian’s persistence eased, which seared yet another question into Nveh’s mind. And the answer was divulged during a high society event in the manor of a different viscount family.

     That night, people adorned with precious gems, splendid metals, and the finest fabrics swarmed the grounds, all participants in the game of power and money that was politics. Weakness, uncivility, and discourtesy were forbidden.

     For that, the Ionescu family was accompanied by the entirety of the Honor Guard, putting their elite on display. Per the heir's request, Nveh was one of the two guards assigned to Rhian. Nveh donned pristine attire provided by his lord, and closely followed Rhian alongside the knight he had supposedly bested—Sir Leon. Their lord was dressed his finest and acting almost humorously decorous, which was something that Nveh couldn’t deny he enjoyed the sight of.

     The pretentious environment stifled Rhian, and he took his entourage into the deserted courtyard. They weren’t supposed to be there, but he didn’t care. Nveh and Leon still held some respect for the owners of the mansion, though they both knew that Rhian was too headstrong to be argued with. The two knights, sharing a quick glance of shared resignation, followed him to a small gazebo in the middle of the courtyard. He took a seat, completely disregarding any sign of courtesy that he had to force himself to maintain around other nobles. He sighed and loosened the clothing around his neck while Nveh and Leon continued to stand on business. The former was glancing around, making sure that no one was witnessing this display of disrespect, but the latter was beyond caring about Rhian’s whims.

     “Sir Leon, can you get me a drink? Wine’ll do.” Rhian closed his eyes and pinched his nose bridge, now lounging in the gazebo. “I can’t take any more of this farce.” Leon nodded, and started back towards the main building where the party was taking place. Rhian watched Leon disappear around a corner, then turned to Nveh, a smirk on his face replacing the exasperation that he had just flaunted.
     “I recommended you to Captain Reverian yesterday—told him that I think you would be suited to be Assistant Captain.”
     “Why?” And once more, the burning question of Rhian’s motivation settled in. Even if it were true that he was doing this just because he “liked” him, why would he go so far? Rhian was doing exactly what Nveh’s own family was doing for him, but their motive was clearly power. His thoughts whirled with confusion, towards both Rhian and himself.
     “Because you clearly have the ability for it. You already report to me for the most part, too, so my father wouldn’t have any issue giving you the official title. Besides...” Rhian looked up at Nveh, took his hand in his, and intertwined their fingers, “I wouldn’t need to chase you anymore.” For the first time, Nveh’s composure shattered.
     “What is wrong with you?” Nveh jerked his hand away as he flushed red, a harsh contrast on his pale complexion even in the dark. “Do you realize what you’re doing to me?” And for the first time as well, Rhian was taken aback. He jolted straight up, no longer lounging.
     “What? What do you mean?”
     “You keep flirting with me, telling me that you just want to be around me, but are you even aware of what you’re saying?” Nveh didn’t look away. He held Rhian’s gaze, finding it difficult in his angry embarrassment. “You’re the viscount’s heir—you hold responsibility for the lives and wellbeing of everyone under your rule. I’ve heard you speak of an egalitarian society, but do you genuinely think you can achieve that, especially with how you’re acting now? You keep playing these idiotic games and going about with all your frivolities—”
     “Nveh.” Rhian captured his gaze. “That doesn’t have anything to do with this right now. How do you feel?”

     Nveh's silence pierced that of the night.

     “You don’t seem like you’re trying too hard to hide it now, but I’ll still ask: do you feel the same?”
     “Wh... What does it matter? It’s not—”
     “Stop avoiding the question, just, please, be straight with me. I’ll stop bothering you if you just say you really don’t like me, but I want to hear it from you.”

     Rhian whispered, but he spoke volumes. He stood up, making sure that their eye contact was no less intense than the passion he so desperately wanted reciprocated. The moonlight fell on their figures under the roof of the gazebo and highlighted every pensive flick of Nveh’s blue eyes as he failed to meet Rhian’s unflinching stare. In a gesture not too intimate, but not completely estranged, Rhian placed his hand on Nveh’s shoulder. Nveh finally met his gaze, and Rhian smiled with an earnest gentleness that stabbed him.

     With the laceration of sincerity, Nveh realized that he was the one playing idiotic games. His failed facade melted into a smile. And his reply came with a scoff at himself.

     “I...I return the sentiment.”

0