9. Farewell
29 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     Looking over the spread on the dining table, a smile forced itself onto Nveh’s face, partly genuine, partly to disguise his sorrow. Delicacies laid out in front of them were complimented by the extravagance of the silverware and the dining room as a whole. A gilded chandelier cast golden light over each piece of luxury, making the setting shimmer as Nveh made his way to his seat. He ensured everything was prepared as best as it could be for a dinner with his lover. The tablecloth was laid out without a single fold or crease. The silverware was all arranged properly. The food and drink was covered, to be kept that way until they were both ready.

     Now seated and awaiting Rhian’s arrival, Nveh took a fork from the table, rubbing its handle under the tablecloth—a nervous habit. Nveh looked over the room one last time, and took in the grandeur of the scene he set. It was pristine. But the opulence of it all only reminded him of how Rhian had obtained this wealth over the years, to the expense of the people he ruled over. The vial in the pocket inside his vest weighed heavy on his mind, almost carrying over to physicality.

     As the vial crossed his mind, memories of its conception followed. He had learned previously how to make poisons flavorless and odorless, but this was the first time he concocted a sweet one, and every step of the process brought him closer to the moment he dreaded. But it was far too late for reconsideration. This was the only thing left for either of them.

     Even with these thoughts in mind, he continued, wanting to savor the last of their time.
     “Quite the setup you have here.” And finally, Rhian entered, dressed his finest, but wearing an expression of fondness that carried so much more than anything adorning his figure. “Are we having dinner or am I interrupting a banquet for the Honor Guard?”
     “I go through all this trouble for you and you want me to hand it off to them? I wouldn’t be opposed if you’re going to be this much of an ingrate,” Nveh laughed, returning his fork to its arrangement. “But really, come, sit. It’s been a while since we’ve had time for something like this, hasn’t it?”
     “Maybe it has. But you’re still as romantic as ever.” Rhian moved to where his utensils were set out—at the opposite end of the long table—but didn’t take his seat. Picking up only the essentials, he moved to the seat next to Nveh and rested his chin on his hands. He raised his eyebrows skeptically before continuing. “Really, with the candlelit dinner?”
     “I still am able to leave.”
     “Jokes aside, this is really nice. I’ve been pretty ready to just shirk all the meetings and duties and just a bunch of trivialities that are coming down from the Count,” Rhian complained, beginning to uncover the food and serve himself.

     Nveh waited, then followed suit after Rhian. The slightest traces of a tremor revealed themselves as he reached for a bit of bread, but he moved quickly to hide them. Even talking to Rhian now was almost too much for him to handle, but he forced himself to eat. The two continued to savor their time together, talking about their gripes, teasing each other, reminiscing about the times before they had responsibilities thrust onto them, until the time finally came for them to enjoy their last toast.

     As Nveh poured, the aged red wine seemed more like blood in his hands, the controlled stream cascading into each of their glasses. He made sure that Rhian saw him pouring it, free of tampering, then handed Rhian his glass. The viscount held it from the bottom, swirling it for a moment, then raising it to toast. In that same moment, Nveh lined up an open vial with his cup. In the air, Rhian’s drink caught the light—a maroon glare flashing Nveh’s eyes as he raised his by the bowl. And with the striking clank of the glasses, their last moments began.

     They drank. Rhian, wine, and Nveh, poison.

     Rhian finished his sip. Nveh didn’t swallow. He leaned over the table, and pulled Rhian in. They kissed, sharing the poison. Rhian’s eyes widened in surprise, but he accepted it. Stroking Nveh’s cheek, he closed his eyes. Nveh held the back of Rhian’s head, making sure he didn’t waste a drop of the lethal liquid. Only when they needed to breathe, did he let go. But the sensation didn’t stop when they broke apart.

     In a moment of the most passionate love and the most severe pain, Nveh tried to smile. Rhian’s hand came to his throat as his airway constricted. His eyes were wide in disbelief, staring at Nveh, who was clutching his chest.

     “What di—N—Nveh?” The sentence came out choked, more painful to Nveh than the poison that was slowly strangling him. And with the last of his breath, Nveh whispered.
     “I—I never—”1synopsis

     Their bodies collapsed. Simultaneously hitting the floor, the last thing that either of them saw was the other: Rhian, in complete consternation, Nveh, in satisfied sorrow.

0