Chapter 4: Interval In the Headmaster’s office
38 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Albus sat calmly behind his desk as they started to file in. The strangely shaped silver instruments on the shelves behind him whirred, and the portraits of former Headmasters and Headmistresses snored or spoke quietly to one another, creating a soft susurrus.

"Thank you for coming everyone, and thank you for the punctuality. I assume the preparations for the new year are going well?"

The assembled witches and wizards before him all nodded or spoke their assent. Albus could read the curiosity on their faces and the clear boredom on Severus'. ' When asked where power lies, the average witch or wizard will think of the ministry or perhaps the Wizengamot. Yet here, in the hands of Minerva, Pomona, Poppy, Filius, and Severus lies far, far more power'.

"As you may be aware, Harry Potter is starting Hogwarts this year"

"Of course, how could we forget the prodigal son's return? Regale us please Albus, how shall we cater to the whims of the boy savior?"

' Ah, Severus. Your old hatred still blinds you. I hope I can open your eyes'

"Severus, that is really most uncalled for! You haven't even met the boy"

"No Minerva, I haven't. But I believe James' arrogance to run in the Potter blood"

Albus raised his hands, cutting off Minerva's angry retort.

"I paid Harry the home visit, and it is of his home life that I wish to speak."

There was a silence around the room as the group digested these words. Albus fancied he could see the cogs turning in their heads as they put two and two together. After all, there could really only be one reason that the heads of house and the school nurse would be called together.

"The boy's been abused?!" Squeaked Filias, his outrage palpable.

"Yes," Albus said simply.

There were noises of protest, fury, and disgust. Albus' eyes found Severus' face. Of course, the man would look totally indifferent, but Albus knew him well enough to recognize the war of emotions occurring in the Potion Master's dark eyes. Of course, simply the mention of abuse set deeply buried memories off in Severus' mind.

"I don't wish to go too deeply into details, but the boy has had a terribly difficult life in the orphanage he has been staying in"

Minerva's accusing eyes bore deep holes in his skull. ' Well Albus, she was extremely against Harry growing up in the muggle world'

"He has been bullied severely by other children for many years. The Matron assures me that they did everything they could, but I received the impression of a blind eye being turned, and no helping hand being offered. Additionally" here Albus looked directly at Poppy, "The matron has told me that even severe injuries that Harry received would heal extremely quickly. He has been using magic to heal himself, accidentally of course" Poppy gasped, raising a hand to her mouth.

"I do not know what house he will end up in. Of course, James and Lily were Gryffindors" he nodded towards Minerva, "But he was not raised by them, and he has had a very different childhood to either of them. I wish for whoever will be his head of house to please speak to him, carefully to be sure, and reassure him that bullying of any kind is not accepted at Hogwarts. For most of his life, he has had no reason to trust authority figure, and I wish for you to make sure he knows that as his head of house you will fight for him and keep him safe."

They nodded, still looking deeply disgusted at this entire conversation.

"Also, he must be sent to Poppy for a full check-up. I believe nutrient potions may be in order as well. The orphanage does not seem to feed their charges particularly well. Those of you who will not be his head of house, I still wish you to watch and ensure that your students are not mistreating Harry. He has never had a place since the age of one where he could feel truly safe. Hogwarts will be that place for him". ' At least, I hope it will'

"All preparations, bar my own, are in place for the corridor correct?"

"Yes, Albus. I still can't believe you let Hagrid bring a Cerberus into the school" spoke out Pomona. Everyone else simply said yes or nodded.

"Very well. That will be all. Thank you, everyone. Until the next staff meeting"

As they started leaving, Albus spoke again "Severus, a word please"

Severus Snape sat back down in front of Dumbledore's desk, looking a bit thrown off his stride.

"Severus. I know the hate you bear for James is still as strong as when you were in school"

Snape said nothing, simply looking at Albus with those ink eyes.

"I believe Harry will end up in Slytherin. I need you to look after the child, at least as well as any other Slytherin"

Snape started to say something, then clamped his jaw shut before he could speak.

"Severus? What was that?"

"You expect me to care for, to love as a parent, to watch out for James Potter's son! Are you mad?" Although he had started off speaking in his usual soft tone, by the end of this Severus was almost shouting.

"Severus, I"

"Don't Severus me! You know how he treated me for years. How can I look at a child bearing his face and Lily's eyes, and not be filled with rage? How can you expect this of me, Albus?"

"James Potter was a pampered, spoiled son of a proud and rich family". Severus abruptly stopped mid-rant. If there was anything he expected Albus to say, it was not that.

"He was arrogant, and raised to believe that whatever he wanted was his for the taking, simply because he was heir to an ancient, noble, rich, pureblood family".

"And so Albus? Would you like to tell me more which I already know?"

Albus continued, ignoring Snape's input totally.

"He grew to be a good, kind-hearted man. Unfortunately, he had so spoiled the possibility of a friendship with you that you would never be able to see that. Nevertheless, Harry was not raised by him. Harry was not raised in such a way. I need you to understand this Severus"

"The brat was bullied a bit, and you expect me to-"

"The brat, as you call him, was beaten to the point where the orphanage's nurse fully expected him to die" Albus' voice was as cold as it had ever been. "Not having examined the boy completely, I cannot say for certain, but I believe without magic he would have died"

This was something Snape was unprepared for. Even though he would easily speak out his hatred for the spawn of James Potter, his heart went cold at the thought of any child of Lily, or in fact, any child, going through that.

"The brat, as you call him, was sexually abused. At least once. I suspect many more times. According to the nurse, he was, and I quote, 'bleeding down there'"

Snape wanted to vomit.

"Enough Albus, I understand"

Albus, relentless, continued.

"The brat, as you call him, was driven to the point where he murdered the bully who beat him. Accidental magic, to be sure but murdered nonetheless. The boy, described as 'impressively agile and quick-footed' tripped on the stairs and broke his neck. This was just after he Harry healed, from being beaten nearly to death"

Severus could not help himself. He gaped at Dumbledore.

"The brat, as you call him, did something to the man who raped him. I'm not sure what, but the man went home and hung himself."

Albus let out a deep breath.

"I wouldn't even have all this information if something hadn't pushed me to go back to that terrible place and speak to the nurse"

"Severus, I understand that you despise even the memory of James Potter. But Severus, you must understands this! Though he wears James' face, Harry is not James. Their childhoods were as different as they could possibly be"

Albus watched Severus carefully. When the man did not move a muscle, he continued

"You are one of, if not the most accomplished Occlumens in the world. I know of no-one else who could possibly have lied to Voldemort the way you did. To do so required you to be in complete control of your every emotion. I ask you to once again put that training to use. And I say this now, not to minimize your suffering, but to add emphasis-Harry has suffered more in his eleven years of life than you did in your entire child and teenagehood. I do not say this lightly Severus. I mean it truly. Have some empathy for the child. Judge him on his own merits and failings, not on a decades-old grudge"

Severus' head had been down for the last bit of Albus' monologue. He raised it now, long hair framing his face. "I will try Albus. I will try"

"I cannot ask you to do more than that Severus" Albus sighed. "But I cannot allow Harry to be terrorized any further by one who should be guarding and guiding him"

Severus gave a curt nod, as he stood up to leave the office.

"And Severus," Snape turned back to face Dumbledore, who was now looking at some papers on his desk, "Keep an eye on Quirrel won't you?"

2