Chapter 3: Three Years Later: A Song of Intrigue and Power
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Three years later...

 

They looked quite surprised to see him standing before them. They quickly scampered to their feet and bowed low, all of them murmuring, "Your Grace."

"Please, my Lords, my Lady, be seated," Jaehaerys instructed, Ser Jaime an ever-present shadow at his back.

Jaehaerys had summoned them to one of the unused chambers under the pretense that they would be meeting with Lord Connington. Jae couldn't be seen summoning the Lords of the Realm. Not yet at least.

The young Prince, no more than four-and-ten years old, examined the people in the room. On one side of the table sat Lord Mooton. A prickly-looking fellow with a square face, a receding hairline, and a big nose. Repugnant, that's the word Jaehaery would use to describe him. He was a second son, younger brother to the dashing Myles Mooton who'd died fighting in the Rebellion. No doubt the man had never overcome his older brother's greater popularity.

On the other side of the table sat Lord Hawick, an older, tall gentleman with grey hair and a stern face. He carried himself with dignity despite the situation he found himself in. Next to him sat his eldest daughter, Lady Jeyne Mooton, wife of Lord Mooton, though that state of affairs wouldn't remain for long if her husband had anything to say about it. She was a beautiful woman with copper hair, fair skin, and quite sinful curves which she hid under a blue dress.

Her red-rimmed eyes indicated she'd been crying as she stared at him as though trying to decide if Jae would be the one to save her or ruin her.

"You summoned us, Your Grace?" Lord Mooton asked and despite his foul disposition, he sounded respectful. House Mooton had remained loyal during the Rebellion, though Jae imagine the man was being cordial more out of sheer practicality than any real loyalty to the Crown.

"I have." Jaehaerys nodded as he stood at the head of the table.

If they wondered why the need for a ruse, they wisely kept silent.

"You're familiar with... our situation?" Lord Hawick asked, a look of shame passing his face. His daughter seemed to shrink in her seat.

"Yes, Lord Hawick, I am."

"With all due respect, Your Grace," Lord Mooton spoke up. "What is the reason behind this meeting? Our issue is to be resolved in the coming session of Court."

Hm, Jaehaerys wondered, perhaps the man is smarter than he looks. Connington would give Mooton what he wanted, but with the well-known animosity between the Crown Prince and the Lord Regent, Mooton may have begun to suspect that Jae wouldn't take his side.

"You're quite right, Lord Mooton," Jaehaerys said. "But I wanted a chance to resolve your issues in a more private setting."

"I would have no problem with Your Grace annulling my marriage to that whore," he spat at his wife. "But I was given to understand you do not have that power."

The wife in question did not cower under her husband's hateful glare, her eyes burning with some of her own. One has to appreciate the marvel of family, Jae thought wryly. "You are correct that I do not have that power, Lord Mooton," Jaehaerys told him. "But that is not why we are here."

"No? Why then?" Lord Mooton questioned.

"We are here to discuss your treason," Jaehaerys said.

"What?!" Lord Mooton shouted, surging to his feet.

Ser Jaime drew his sword and Mooton quickly came to regret that particular course of action. He sat back down with a thump, keeping his hands in the air.

"You've been withholding taxes, no? Sending your ships into the Narrow Sea to plunder the merchant vessels belonging to the Crown. You've even seized three ships belonging to the Royal Fleet and added them to your own fleet... after some refurbishing, of course," Jaehaerys said with an appreciative smile.

Lord Mooton swallowed hard.

"Do you know what happened to the last Lord who dared to do half of what you've done?" Jaehaerys asked. Lord Hawick and Lady Motoon perked up at his words. A glimmer of hope was blooming in their chests, Jaehaerys knew. Lord Mooton meanwhile gaped at him speechless.

"It wasn't just that he was executed, his House was stripped of all its titles, his family banished from Westeros." That squashed any hope on the faces of the Hawicks. Good, Jaehaerys thought, the more desperate they become, the more indebted to me they'll feel.

"I've been told you are a man who is proud of his family's legacy," Jaehaerys said. "Is that something you wish to happen to your House?"

Lord Mooton looked down and shook his head.

"Very well, then we shall have to simply make sure it doesn't," Jaehaerys said, "But there's a price."

 "My head," Lord Mooton murmured softly, staring at his knees.

Jaehaerys scoffed. "Of course not, my Lord, that would have people asking questions. No, no, you will present yourself at Court and inform the Lord Regent that with your eldest son reaching majority, you've decided to cede control of Maidenpool to him while you will be taking the Black to do your part for the protection of the Realm."

"I'm not even sure those children are mine!" he said, remembering why he came to King's Landing in the first place.

Jaehaerys raised an eyebrow. "You know perfectly well they're yours, my Lord. House Moton will live on through them. Or it won't. Decide what is more important to you; your pride or your legacy. I suggest you choose wisely."

With that, he made a dismissive gesture and Lord Mooton got up from his seat and promptly left the room. Jae did not know which way he would lean. Mooton had rage in his eyes, but desperation in his posture. He figured only time would tell, though he felt confident that Mooton would not dare reveal Jae's machinations to Connington.

That left Lord Hawick and his daughter. Judging by the calculative look in his eyes, Lord Hawick had already deduced what would come next.

"You will take control of House Mooton and you will open Maidenpool to trade from the Riverlands, is that understood?" Jaehaerys told them, his voice like the crack of a whip.

"Aye, Your Grace." Lord Hawick nodded, an indecipherable look in his eyes.

"But—but isn't it against the law?" Lady Mooton asked, wringing her hands nervously as she wondered if she would go from an adulteress to a traitor.

"Not specifically, no. It is merely frowned upon by our Lord Regent as he seeks to punish all the rebels. But Lord Regent shan't rule for much longer and once my royal brother returns from Dorne, I shall do my utmost to convince him of the important part Houses Mooton and Hawick played in ensuring the stability of the Realm." He'd gotten quite good at this officious way of talking in the past three years.

"Thank you, Your Grace, thank you so much," Lady Mooton sobbed, trying to restrain her tears with a handkerchief.

"You are very welcome. And not to worry, my Lady, you can bed whomever you like now that your Lord husband won't be around to protest." Jaehaerys winked, nodded at Lord Hawick, and made his way out of the chamber.

As Ser Jaime closed the door behind him, he asked, "Do you think King Aegon will see it that way?"

Jaehaerys shrugged. "I have the faintest," he said, but he certainly hoped so. His brother should have returned from Dorne a year ago to assume reins of power, yet in Dorne he stayed.

Jaehaerys wasn't stupid enough to think that could mean anything good. The Martells wanted him hidden, for one reason or another. Rumors circulated. Some claimed Aegon was a weakling, others claimed him to be an insatiable whoremonger. Martells knew those rumors would start. That they kept Aegon hidden in spite of them made Jaehaerys worried. Very worried.

But he would find a way, as he'd done so far. Or he'd end up assassinated by a brother who thought Jaehaerys planned to supplant him. Aegon wouldn't be the only one who thought so. No one believed Jae when he said he had no wish to become King. Not that he had any particular aversion to power. He liked it, very much so, and needed it even more, but there existed different kinds of power, each successively worse than the other, and the one granted by the cursed monstrosity was by far the worst of all. 

"You are certain of your decision?" Lord Connington asked, sitting high on the Iron Throne. Jaehaerys stood to his left as the sole representative of the Royal Family, while the Small Council sat on the right.

It was a usual day at Court, at least usual by the standards set since the end of the Rebellion, in that there weren't too many nobles present. Some of the Lords of the Crownlands, other influential knights, and the merchants of King's Landing attended court. Other Lords of the Realm shied away from King's Landing these days. Those who fought for the Usurper knew they'd find no welcome in the Capital. Those who remained loyal, on the other hand, hated Connington for his moronic edicts. They waited for the day King Aegon assumed his Throne. At the start of Connington's tenure as Lord Regent, there'd been plenty of lickspittles and fools, but once they'd seen Connington's growing unpopularity, they all slithered back into their holes. Worst of all, Connington thought their absence a success, proof that he'd cleaned up his Court better than any of his Targaryen predecessors.

If nobles who lived outside the Crownlands came to Court, they came because they had no other choice, and they did not come expecting to leave with a positive impression.

Jaehaerys looked down on the kneeling figure of Lord Mooton. The man nodded his head. It was good of him to do so since it was the only way he would keep it. "I am, my Lord."

"Very well," Connington sighed. It appeared the political ramifications had yet to occur to him. "The Crown thanks you for your long service to the Realm and wishes you good fortune on the Wall," he said and dismissed the man with an impatient wave of the hand. Lord Mooton glanced at Jaehaerys, but Connington did not notice, too busy asking Grand Maester Pycelle about the remaining notices.

But some of the courtiers caught the look and Jaehaerys found himself on the wrong end of many curious gazes. The man would be leaving for the Wall soon and that would be the end of it, so he didn't find it hard to keep his composure.

Connington seemed ready to announce that Court would adjourn for the day when the doors of the Throne Room opened. The herald banged his staff and cried, "Prince Oberyn Martell, the Red Viper, Prince Sovereign of Dorne, and Princess Arianne Martell, Heir to Sunspear!"

The Red Viper strolled down the middle of the Throne Room, whispers spreading in his wake like ripples in the water, a self-satisfied smirk on his face. This one was dangerous, Jaehaerys could tell at a glance. He had his long black hair parted down the middle, framing his face, the sharp nose, and the vicious eyes, the pearls on his silk tunic jingling as he walked the length of the courtroom. His niece walked beside him, wearing such skimpy clothes, Jae had to hold back his laughter at the scandalous looks on the faces of the Ladies of the Court. Princess Arianne had a bracelet in the shape of a snake, slithering up her forearm. Her thick black hair fell down to her hips, her brown eyes examining the Throne Room.

The two Dornish royals stopped before the Iron Throne. Prince Oberyn bowed, mockingly so, while Princess Arianne curtsied.

"Prince Oberyn, Princess Arianne, welcome to King's Landing," Connington said, shifting in his seat. No doubt the man wanted to know if they'd come to check his power.

"A pleasure to be here, Lord Regent," Prince Oberyn said. His lips curved into a smirk as his eyes sought out Jahaerys. "And may I say it is an honor to meet you at last, Prince Jaehaerys."

Jaehaerys inclined his head. "The honor is mine, Prince Oberyn. We are most pleased to host a warrior of your renown in King's Landing."

"I do hope our sudden arrival shan't be too much of a nuisance," Oberyn said, that arrogant smirk still present on his face.

"Not at all, Prince Oberyn. I daresay the surprise of your arrival only makes the pleasure of your presence all the sweeter," Jae said and bowed.

The Prince's smirk vanished, but it was replaced by a thoughtful look, rather than one of anger.

"May I inquire as to the reason for your presence?" the fool known as Lord Regent actually deigned to ask out loud.

Prince Oberyn raised an eyebrow. "I am a member of the Small Council am I not?" he asked, which was true, though no one could decide what the man's role was. "And my beloved niece here was most anxious to visit King's Landing for the first time. I have never been able to refuse her."

The Princess at his side smiled demurely at her uncle's words. Jaehaerys noticed there were a great many knights with their eyes glued to her. Oh, the gossip that would stem from this little encounter would keep the courtiers busy for weeks.

"Of course, of course," Lord Connington backtracked. "Chambers shall be prepared for you and we shall hold a feast in your honor this evening."

"You are most kind, my Lord," Princess Arianne said and curtsied again before she and her uncle stalked out of the Throne room.

Jae sat on the dais, pretending to enjoy the impromptu feast Connington had ordered, and amused himself by picturing the panic of the servants when they learned of it. The Small Hall, right next to the Throne Room, had been commandeered for the occasion. To his right sat Lord Connington, ignoring Jaehaerys as always, but also serving as a useful shield from the Martells. Beyond them sat Princess Daenerys, eagerly conversing with Arianne. On the two seats to his left sat Lord Royce, who'd come to ask the Crown to approve of the match between his only daughter Ysilla and Ser Gilwood Hunter, the Son and Heir of Lord Eon Hunter.

Next to Lord Royce sat Ser Kevan Lannister, who'd come to Court to ask another favor on behalf of Lord Tywin Lannister. Jaehaerys' ploy to keep Connington on his toes with the threat of Tywin had somewhat backfired as the Old Lion had used the threat as leverage to negotiate numerous trade deals with the Crown that heavily favored the Westerlands.

"I've heard your son Robar won the tourney for Lord Arryn's name day, Lord Royce," Jaehaerys said as he took a sip of wine. He liked to drink during feasts – it worked wonders for his ability to tolerate it all. "Most impressive."

Bronze Yohn's chest swelled with pride as he nodded, a smile on his face. "Aye, my Prince, he does his House proud."

"Indeed he does," Jaehaerys agreed. He had met Ser Robar a year back and found he liked him. "I got a chance to spar with him during his stay in King's Landing. That sword arm gave me no small amount of grief."

Lord Royce laughed at that. "Aye, he told me about that, my Prince. He said you are quite the swordsman yourself."

Jae waved his hand dismissively, "Simply on account of being trained by the likes of Ser Jaime, not any measurable talent, I assure you."

Lord Royce nodded with a smile and if he thought to criticize Ser Jaime, he knew better. Jaehaerys' regard for the Lion of Lannister had become well known across the Realm and few dared to insult the man within Jae's earshot.

He leaned forth then and regarded Ser Kevan, who was eating and drinking almost mechanically while his eyes examined the nobles present.

"Ser Kevan?" Jae got his attention. "I had heard of your son's terrible bout with the flu. I do hope Lancel has recovered."

That cracked the old knight's mask somewhat. "He has, Your Grace, and thank the Gods. Thank you for asking."

Jae thought Lancel to be a preening little shit with no small amount of arrogance and no skill or intellect to back it up. But then he could hardly say so to the boy's father when the man seemed quite fond of the lad, though Jaehaerys would never know why.

He had to pretend he cared though and he knew asking people about their families and surprising them with his knowledge did great things to boost their loyalty. Not that it would ever make a difference with the Lannisters. It was more for the likes of Lord Royce that he made sure to keep informed of all the goings-on.

"It gladdens my heart to hear you say so, Ser," he said with his best version of a kind smile. Again, it wasn't meant for Ser Kevan. It was meant for all those who'd see it, convincing them of the graciousness and kindness of the Crown Prince.

But then a man walked into the Hall, carrying a harp. Prince Oberyn got to his feet and addressed the Hall, all the while keeping those smug eyes on Jaehaerys.

"Prince Jaehaerys," he said, his loud voice quieting everyone in the Hall, "I had heard of your musical prowess even down in Dorne and couldn't help but ask you for the chance to hear it for myself." He did a fair imitation of a sheepish smile. "I do apologize for my whimsical nature."

The nobles in the Hall exchanged confused looks. Jaehaerys had never played the harp in public before. They'd never heard of any supposed prowess on his part either.

Jaehaerys, acting hesitant, said, "I suppose I could play a short little song."

"Please." Oberyn gestured to the harp.

Jaehaerys got up with a sigh and walked around the dais. A chair was brought out for him and he sat behind the harp, strumming the strings to check the tuning. Then he took a deep breath and began playing. A heavenly melody emerged from beneath his light touch, filling every part of the Hall and gaining the attention of all.

High in the halls of the kings who are gone
Jenny would dance with her ghosts
The ones she had lost and the ones she had found
And the ones who had loved her the most

The ones who'd been gone for so very long
She couldn't remember their names
They spun her around on the damp old stones
Spun away all her sorrow and pain

And she never wanted to leave, never wanted to leave
Never wanted to leave, never wanted to leave

They danced through the day
And into the night through the snow that swept through the hall
From winter to summer then winter again
'Til the walls did crumble and fall

And she never wanted to leave, never wanted to leave
Never wanted to leave, never wanted to leave
And she never wanted to leave, never wanted to leave
Never wanted to leave, never wanted to leave

High in the halls of the kings who are gone
Jenny would dance with her ghosts
The ones she had lost and the ones she had found
And the ones
Who had loved her the most

 

The hall had become enveloped in silence by the time the song came to an end, with many young maidens weeping. A knight by the name of Ser Hugh broke the silence was broken when he stood up and began clapping. The rest of the Hall promptly followed, the nobles all getting to their feet. Jaehaerys gave a perfunctory smile and bowed, before returning to his seat.

On his way, he glanced at Prince Oberyn who stared at him through narrowed eyes. Jae did not smile triumphantly, he did not smirk. He gave the Prince a look that clearly conveyed his disappointment.

But Connington's look of sorrow surprised Jae. It seemed the Lord Regent remembered for the first time who fathered Jaehaerys, not that would make a difference. Jaehaerys would enact some sort of retribution the moment Aegon took the Throne, whether his brother approved or not. He'd never make peace with Connington, he'd made that vow a long time ago.

He sat down and for the remainder of the feast, he nodded politely at people's compliments, ate little, and drank less. Excusing himself at the first opportunity, he returned right back to his chambers, his mind spinning with implications. If Oberyn had come to make a fool of him, that must mean Aegon thinks him a threat. It must mean the Dornish hate him and will do anything in their power to get rid of him.

Jaehaerys, having studied his histories extensively, knew better than most what happens to second brothers who are considered a threat. He would be fortunate to only end up on the Wall. For a few moments, he had to odd urge to run away and leave the Seven Kingdoms to go to hell, as he knew it would.

Remember Viserys, he thought to himself, and the urge passed. He could not run, and he could not think only of himself. Jaehaerys excelled at making friends. He wouldn't have such influence at Court if he did not. He could turn Prince Oberyn into a friend, should the Viper prove himself a man of reason, and Jaehaerys had no cause to think otherwise. A mad dog with Oberyn's flair for dramatics would not have survived long enough to have a strand of silver hair.

But how? he wondered as he sat down at his desk. He'd arranged much more luxurious chambers since he brought Viserys low. These days, his chambers had a bedroom, a bathroom, and his own study. He'd stuffed the walls to bursting with all the books he had acquired, and he had a balcony behind his desk with a view of the city below.

He poured himself another glass of Arbor Gold and tried to think things through. If he used any covert means it would no doubt only further Oberyn's belief of Jaehaerys' scheming ways. But there was something no one expects from a schemer – bluntness.

Oberyn was said to be a man who loved his family dearly. He brought eight bastard daughters into his brother's home, how could he not? So if Jaehaerys explained the perilous state of the Royal Family, make him understand that his nephew will be in mortal danger from the moment his royal butt touched the Iron Throne, mayhaps he would see Jaehaerys did not represent the greatest threat to Aegon's rule.

Sighing, he took another sip of wine, but then a knock on the door interrupted his musings.

"Come in," he called, wondering who would disturb him at such an hour.

The door opened to reveal silver hair before anything else. Jaehaerys smiled as his Aunt Daenerys glided forth, a vision of ethereal beauty. She'd changed quite a bit since Viserys was banished from the capital. She was once a guarded, haughty Princess who hated her brother and looked down on everyone else. These days, she still hated her brother, but she had changed her perspective on the people around her, mainly because Jaehaerys gave her a detailed explanation of why they'd all be lucky to die of old age. He couldn't have a Princess of Dragonstone walking around doing even more damage.

"I didn't hear anyone knocking on the door of my chambers," Jae said, but he the growing smile on his face betrayed him.

Dany rolled her eyes and sat in the chair in front of his table, smiling as well. "I didn't bother. I knew you'd be in here."

"Hmm, I see, I have to work on my unpredictability," Jae said with a smile, but suddenly the weariness of the day caught up to him. "I'm always happy when you grace me with your presence, Aunt, but I was about to go to sleep. Can this wait until tomorrow?"

"Can what wait until tomorrow?" she asked.

"Whatever brought you to my chambers this late at night. Or are you here to seduce me?"

Dany snorted as he poured them both a drink. "No," she said, "But Princess Arianne is."

Jaehaerys nodded, "I see." He handed Dany her cup. "Is she supposed to bed me, force me to wed her and take me back to Dorne?"

"I imagine that's the plan, yes," Dany agreed, looking at Jae teasingly, "She is very... sensual." She purred the last word in imitation of Arianne.

"Aye, that she is."

"Are you certain those tits won't hypnotize you? Men do foolish things when they think with their cocks, you know?" she asked, eyeing him wryly over the edge of her cup.

"We won't know until it happens, I suppose." Jae shrugged.

Dany hummed after she drained the last of her cup. "Whatever you do, don't picture her on her knees with her lips wrapped around your cock."

As it happened, that's the exact image that popped into Jae's mind and a part of him he didn't know existed stirred at the thought of it.

It must've shown on his face as Dany threw her head back and laughed, saying, "You don't stand a chance. Do enjoy the rest of your life in Dorne."

She's trying to make sure my pride overcomes my lust, Jaehaerys realized in a flash. My, my, the little Princess had grown up. "You've become tricky, Dany.

"Thank you, but I didn't come for the compliments."

Jae tilted his head. "What then?"

"I want an explanation. You said you couldn't play the harp." She crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes.

"I can't." Jae looked into his cup and smiled, quite proud of himself.

"The rumors spreading through the castle suggest otherwise."

Jae chuckled. Dany would often come to his room like this, demanding to know the inner workings of various schemes Jae had cooked up over the years. "I know how to play one song. That's it. It's taken me three years to master it."

Dany bit her lip, apparently trying to think it through. "And you mastered it for an occasion like tonight?"

"In case there came a day when people needed a reminder of Rhaegar, yes."

"But how did you know Oberyn would try to embarrass you?"

"I've been expecting them for months. Someone's been bribing all the staff, or trying to bribe the staff that I've already bribed, anyway." Jae swirled the last of his wine in the cup and threw it back. "So I had one of Oberyn's spies tell the Prince of Dorne I've been trying and failing to master the harp for years, hoping to make up for the fact that I don't look like my father."

 "And Oberyn went for it immediately," Dany concluded. "I'd call him an idiot, but who would have imagined something like that?"

Jae tipped his glass. "And there's the power."

"Okay, okay, I get it." She nodded to herself. "What about Court today? What was that about Lord Mooton, he looked at you funny. And I thought he'd come to King's Landing to get rid of his wife."

"He did." Jae stood up and grabbed the pitcher of wine. He might as well pour himself another measure. "But he's been stealing ships in the Narrow Sea, so I convinced him to change his mind."

"Why not make it public, then?"

"If you make it public, the entire House suffers. And who is Lord Mooton's wife? Which House does she belong to originally?"

Dany looked over his shoulder, apparently trying to remember. "Hawick!" She exclaimed finally. "But they're rebels."

"Yes." Jae nodded. "Lord Tully only has one port through which he can bring in goods, and that's Seaguard. All the rest are under the control of loyalists, especially on the eastern coast. But if you can put one port into the hands of a rebel—"

"Then trade can flow into the Riverlands," Dany finished. "That was quite clever of you."

"Why, thank you, Dany." Jae preened.

Dany snorted and shook her head. "Make sure Arianne doesn't get you, you'd be wasted in Dorne." She stood and smoothed out her azure dress. "Good night."

0