Chapter 7: Trials of Deception
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He stared at what remained of the straw dummy. By his side, Ser Jaime was laughing his arse off. After another grueling session of Court, Jaehaerys had gone to the courtyard to test his new sword. He'd taken one swing at the straw dummy and cut through it with such ease that the force of his swing made him stagger. With a normal blade, the weight he put behind the swing would have barely cut through half the dummy. The Dark Sister went through it like piss through snow.

"This is a Valyrian steel, my Prince," Ser Jaime said. "It's sharper than any normal blade."

Jaehaerys glared at him. "I knew that, thank you very much." His eyes rolled over the blade, over the dark grey ripples in the steel. "Sharper than ordinary steel is one thing, but this thing looks like you could cut down trees with it."

Prince Aemon the Dragonknight had wielded this blade. Prince Daemon had killed Prince Aemond the Kinslayer with it during the Battle Above God's Eye. Gods, Visenya had wielded this sword.

Jaehaerys had rarely felt like a Targaryen. There always seemed to be a distance between him and the rest of his family – mayhaps because he didn't have the looks, but then again maybe because he never had a family member who made him feel like one of the dragons.

But now he bore the same sword as some of the greatest Targaryen who'd ever lived. He was their successor, next in line to men like Bloodraven and the Dragonknight. It was enough to make his hands tremble with anxiety, and his heart burst with pride. Because history would surely take note of Prince Jaehaerys Targaryen, his legendary blade, and all the things he did with it.

"It's said Valyrian steel makes any swordsman thrice as dangerous," Jaime said.

"I don't know why you look so pleased," Jaehaerys quipped. "It means you're fucked when we spar."

Ser Jaime laughed. "I see my Prince has become arrogant, but never worry, the noble Lion of Lannister is here as always to set him straight." He bowed low.

"Another time," he said, sheathing the Dark Sister, comforted by the weight of the word on his hip. "Come, it's a beautiful day, let us have a drink."

The two made their way to Jae+s chambers. They sat down on the balcony, looking over all of King's Landing and the Blackwater below. It was a peaceful place, the chaos of the city nothing but a distant murmur, its smells swept away by the light breeze. 

"I heard the maidens whispering most scandalous things recently." Ser Jaime regarded him with a sly look. "Of certain Princesses sneaking from the chambers of Crown Princes, wearing precious little."

Jaehaerys had the grace to blush.

"You bedded her?" Jaime asked.

"No." Jae shook his head ruefully. "We... had fun."

And then that famous Lannister smile showed its face, wide and beaming. "A good thing too," he said, raising his cup in a toast.

"It's..." Gods, he was stammering like some green boy. "I had to do it."

Jaime barked in laughter, "Ah, I see, playing with those tits was all part of you doing your duty to the realm. I'm sure it was a chore."

Jaehaerys wanted to smack him over the head, yet he couldn't help his lips curving into a smile. "I suppose you're right."

"Bah, Jaehaerys, you need not hold yourself to such a high standard."

"What do you mean?"

"I know how you think, Jaehaerys." Jaime eyed him with a knowing look. "Aegon the Unworthy couldn't keep his cock in his pants, the Young Dragon was arrogant, Daeron the Good too bookish, Aegon the Fortunate too idealistic." He threw Jae's own words back at him, "You look at people in terms of strengths and weaknesses and no one more than yourself."

Jae fought his instinct to argue the point and won, averting his gaze. His eyes found a lone ship, sailing out into Blackwater Bay.

"You should consider that a man without vices can become so rigid it becomes a vice unto itself. The example of Stannis Baratheon lends itself nicely in that regard."

"So I should make sure to have a weakness?" Jae raised an eyebrow. The ship had the black and red sails of House Targaryen, so it probably headed to Dragonstone and Viserys.

"Indeed," Jaime replied. "And make sure it brings you enough pleasure to balance out all of the duties." He wiggled his eyebrows. "Which means you should be allowed to bury your face in the bosom of a Dornish Goddess without feeling guilty about it afterward."

He has a point. "Dornish Goddess, is she?" he said. "Is the Princess testing your commitment to your vows, oh-dashing knight?"

Jaime's eyes clouded for the briefest of moments before the look disappeared, and a smile took its place. "Afraid she might find the lion more attractive than the dragon, my Prince?"

Jae took a sip of the Arbor Gold, the sweet nectar filling his mouth with its flavor, leaving only some sour aftertaste in its wake. He opted to change topics, knowing their jesting could go on for hours if left unchecked. "How fares your brother?" he asked. "It's been a while since told me anything about him."

At this, Jaime's face took on a regretful expression. "He... I fear he chafes at the Rock, Jaehaerys," he said. "My father has little love for him and Cersei less."

"You know my offer for him to come to Court is always open." It was the least he could do.

Jaime smiled gratefully. "I know, but father won't let him go, says he will only embarrass the family."

Jae hummed. "Perhaps the time has come for a good old righteous plot to free your brother," he said, eyes lighting up. "I do wonder how the Old Lion could be forced to give him up."

"I doubt even you could pull that off," Jaime muttered.

"Ah, ah." Jaehaerys sat up in his chair. "Tell me, is that a challenge I hear?"

"Don't go pissing off my father, Jaehaerys, he is humorless enough as it is."

"I could order him to send Tyrion to Court, you know?" Jae said.

"But you're too smart to do that," Jaime replied, sipping his wine, but Jae saw the laughter in his eyes, no doubt at the thought of Jaehaerys tricking old Tywin.

"I certainly am. No, perhaps your father can be put into a position where he would fear giving up something far more valuable. I imagine sending Tyrion to Court would seem like mercy to him."

"Nothing's more valuable than Tyrion."

"To you." Jae held up a hand. "But I imagine your father doesn't feel that way. And if we were to threaten something precious, he might give up your brother willingly." He raised his cup. "You're the one who taught me that."

Jaime looked confused. "And when have I done that?"

"When you told me to feign a strike to the neck and then cut off their hands," Jaehaerys said with a grin and watched as realization dawned on Jaime. He always understood politics better if people put them in martial terms. 

"And how would we do that?"

"Nothing that would threaten the standing of House Lannister, of course. Nothing that would weaken it." Jaehaerys shook his head, his mind buzzing. "No, something that Lord Tywin himself holds precious but may not be considered such by others." He looked at Jaime. "Any ideas?"

Jaime leaned back in his chair and there was a look on his face that suggested a cunning most people didn't think him capable of. Jaime had always been a warrior first, believing everything else to be dull and boring. Jae liked to think his games at Court opened Jaime's eyes to the possibility of all the things words could achieve that swords just couldn't.

And so every once in a while, if the cause was good enough, the Sly Lion took the place of the Golden Lion. Jaehaerys made sure to enjoy himself every time it happened.

"I might have an idea or two," Jaime said.

But then a furious knocking interrupted their conversation. Jae frowned and called, "Come in."

They stood from their chairs and stepped into Jae's chambers. He heard the quiet rattle as Jaime put his hands on the hilt of his sword.

A servant entered, looking frazzled and out of breath, and terrified. "What's happened?" Jaehaerys asked.

"The Lord Regent,... my Prince, he asks you... come at once." The young man tried to catch his breath, "Prince Oberyn has caught a traitor."

The servant left some words unspoken but they rang in Jae's ears regardless. There could only be one reason why Jaehaerys would be needed to deal with traitors.

He nodded, grabbed the Dark Sister off the table, and made his way out of the chambers as he fastened his sword belt.

He walked through the hallways of Maegor's Holdfast, his feet carrying him as quickly as they could without crossing the border into running, all the while he wrote scenarios in his mind. If they found a traitor then the man had undoubtedly implicated Jaehaerys. But Jae had committed no treason, so the man had to be bought or threatened. But who did it? Oberyn, that would be the obvious answer if only Jaehaerys trusted obvious answers. Connington was another option, hoping to take advantage of the rift between Jae and Oberyn. But no, he wouldn't dare. One whiff of his plot coming out and Dark Sister would sing. Connington knew as much.

With those thoughts in mind, the servant led him to the Small Council Chamber instead of the Throne Room. Another interesting piece of information – they wanted to keep their accusations private, whatever they were.

The heavy oak door opened and Jaehaerys walked in, Jaime right behind him, never taking his hand off his sword.

He found Connington, Oberyn, Arianne, Randyll Tarly, Corys Velaryon, Pycelle, Varys, and Ser Anders Tolland, the new Master of Coin, all waiting for him inside, seated along the Small Council table.

He gauged their moods almost by habit. Connington looked satisfied, happy, triumphant. The hateful look that had been weakening for years, due to Jaehaerys dominance at Court, had returned in full force. Oberyn, to his surprise, did not share Connington's sentiments, his eyes guarded, watching Jaehaerys closely but showing no emotion. Arianne looked wary, the way she chewed her lip and looked at him, it screamed, "Beware!". The rest of the Council looked composed and calculating, as any Small Council worth the name ought to be.

Then Jae's eyes landed on the man kneeling on the floor, hands chained behind his back. Though the man kept his gaze glued to the floor, Jaeharys could see he'd been beaten bloody, gashes open on his cheeks and forehead.

He looked at Connington. "What's happened?" he asked.

"We've captured a traitor," Connington said. 

"Yes, I've been told," Jaehaerys said. "I imagine you haven't asked for my presence simply to have me witness the execution?"

"No." Connington grinned. "More like take part in it."

Jaime unsheathed his sword behind him and pointed it at Connington who looked unperturbed by the threat.

"There won't be any need for that," Jae said to Jaime. "Sheathe your sword." Jaime complied as Jae turned to the Council. "Well, then, what am I to be accused of?"

"Plotting to commit treason," Lord Tarly replied. The proud warrior didn't like him, but he didn't hate him either. Jae liked to think there was a measure of mutual respect there.

"I see. And how does this poor sod fit into all of it?" He gestured to the prisoner.

"He was caught bearing letters for the Lords of the Crownlands, ordering them to prepare themselves for King Aegon's arrival to Court, where they would seize the capital and kill the King." Lord Tarly watched him closely, like the rest of the men present.

"Signed with my signature, no doubt," Jae presumed.

Lord Tarly nodded.

Jae's eyes narrowed, tilting his head in thought. "There's more."

"Indeed, my Prince," Lord Varys said, with that annoyingly soft voice of his. "The letters carried your own personal seal and contained information few people know, you among them."

"About?"

"Various transgressions of the Lords of the Crownlands that might make them more willing to comply with your demands," Varys answered.

Jaehaerys nodded in understanding. How to tackle this, then? He could defend himself loudly and passionately. He could beg them, sobbing and blubbering about how he'd never betray his brother. But dismissed both options without a second thought. He could lash out, declaring it all to be a plot against him.

But the look in Arianne's eyes lingered. This was a good plot. Letters signed by his own personal seal, only one of which existed, and a man swearing Jae had paid him to deliver the messages. Add to that the sticky little secrets and you've got yourself a good case. Many an innocent man had lost his head for far less.

So he chose the last option – politics. "Well, then, what is to become of me?"

"You admit to your treason?" Lord Tarly tilted his head, as much of surprise as the man would ever let himself show.

"Of course not," Jaehaerys said. "But I will have a hard time disproving your accusations as well, so I thought I might as well get down to the point."

"There is only one thing to do with traitors," Connington said.

"But you can't lop off my head, that will start a war. You can't keep me hostage, for I already am one. You can't send me to the Night's Watch, because you fear my Uncle will make sure I never get there," Jaehaerys quickly listed off their options. "So I ask again, what is to be done with me?"

"My Prince," Varys said, gesturing to the other members of the Small Council. "This Council is not entirely convinced you are guilty."

"No?" Jae asked, drawing out this charade. "Why not?"

"Because if you were to commit treason, it wouldn't be so sloppily done, for one," Corys Velaryon said, earning chuckles from some, but none from Jaehaerys and none from Oberyn.

"It warms my heart to see you think I'd make a good traitor, Lord Velaryon," Jaehaerys cut off their laughter. "My competence aside, you have proof I did this, and no proof that I did not. How is this matter to be resolved?"

Oberyn scratched his chin. "How do you think he was caught?"

"Depends. Was he caught in the Red Keep, the city or the country?"

"The Red Keep," the Prince replied.

"Then he was posing as one of the household guards." 

"Why not the secret passages?" Oberyn asked.

"You either know your way around them or you don't. And for those who don't, the passages are utterly useless." Jaehaerys knew better than most, he couldn't count the number of times he thought he'd gotten lost for good when he went exploring as a child.

This is a test, Jaehaerys thought, once more thinking of Arianne's look. She'd given him a chance to make peace with Oberyn and prove himself loyal. No doubt Oberyn cooked up the entire thing to see how Jae would fare under the scrutiny, to see how he would respond.

But was all this a mummer's farce then, or was there some truth to it?

"And if you do know your way around them?"

"Then he was caught coming out of the hidden entrance by Rhaenys' trail."

"Why not the one by Aegon's trail?"

"You'd have to be an idiot to do that, there is a post of Goldcloaks there, you'd walk right into their arms."

"Yet that's exactly what happened," Varys murmured. Did the man sound happy?

"Indeed," Oberyn agreed. "And I've interrogated him personally. I don't recall ever seeing a man so happy to confess."

At this, Connington's head snapped towards Oberyn. Maybe this isn't about me at all, Jaehaerys thought.

"He sang such tales after my lash tasted his back." Those dark eyes of the Red Viper fell on Connington instead of Jaehaerys. "Of plotting Regents and vain attempts at getting Crown Princes executed."

Connington did not get a word out before a guard hit him on the mouth and sent him sprawling, the chair falling over in a clatter. Three other guards appeared in the next moment, picking him up and dragging him out of the room. Jaehaerys watched it happen silently, like the rest of the people in the room. He should have felt happy, shouldn't he? So why did he feel so hollow, like he'd seen his dreams come true but they tasted like ash?

Oberyn stood. "The regency has come to an end. King Aegon shall be traveling to King's Landing shortly to assume his Throne." Then he swept out of the room without a backward glance.

The rest of the Small Council left shortly after, Arianne sending Jae a small smile before following her uncle.

When they all left, Jae turned to Jaime, and the knight began to laugh.

He'd probably never seen Jaehaerys look so flabbergasted before.

0