Chapter 3: Dreamer’s power
30 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Eh! Zombie!” The young man with short brown hair and headphones hanging around his neck was startled when he saw Joker's presence.
“Are you still alive, J!” The girl has blonde hair and a face full of tattoos. She adjusted the helicopter to automatic flight mode and left the cockpit. She walked over and placed her hands on J's shoulders with a joyful smile as if witnessing a miracle.

“…Why did I end up back in this desert again!” Joker rubbed his forehead in confusion, "Who are you two? Why do you call me J?”
“It's me, Jarek.” The blonde girl smiled, her index finger pointing to her own face.
“… Oh, right.” Joker was stunned for a moment then understood the problem. He remembered that Jarek's ability was to transform into another creature, so changing shape and gender wasn't something too strange.
“I'm Allan, a gamer.” The short brown haired boy who looked to be about the same age as Joker opened his mouth. He smiled warmly and held out his hand. "I heard a little about you from Jarek, nice to meet you."

“…Is he stuck like me?” Joker looked at Allan then turned to Jarek with half closed eyes.
“Yes, and it seems he hasn't awakened his Dreamer powers yet.” Jarek nodded then grinned. ”So, I hope you two will at least get along well during this reluctant trip.”
“…If you're hungry or thirsty, just come find me.” The black-haired boy created two bowls of ramen noodles with steel chopsticks and two bowls of clean water as an answer.
“Then I'll bother you two.” Allan scratched his bangs and laughed, then picked up the bowl of ramen. "So I'm not a guest~."
“I'm counting on you for necessities, J ~.” Jarek picked up the bowl of water and took a sip.
“I want to ask more about the Dreamer and Dream case, do you mind explaining in detail?” Joker put his hands on his knees and asked for advice.

“It will take a while.” Jarek put down the bowl of water and then began to pick up the bowl of ramen and pick up his chopsticks.
“I'm listening.” Joker said with an unchanged expression.
“I also want to know ~.” Allan happily raised his hand holding chopsticks. ”As a gamer, lore cannot be missed.”
“Okay, all Dreamers need guidance, Múinteoir Jarek is ready to help.” The blonde girl smiled confidently and began explaining while slowly eating ramen. “As said, Dreamers are people who have the ability to realize their Dreams. Depending on Dream, their strongest desires, strongest emotions, and most unforgettable memories, it will form what you call ability. In my experience, Dreamers are divided into two types, one is to hold a maximum of two types of power with many smaller abilities, but these two powers must be related to each other. The second is to hold a maximum of three powers that only perform one function but are completely separate from each other."
“So I'm a first-class Dreamer? Because of my ability, I am the stuff of a bowl of ramen noodles?” Joker asked curiously.

 

“No, according to your current condition, there are no signs of outside influence. And he is still alive here, most likely due to awakening a power unrelated to the power he had before. There is a high possibility that your power is a second-class Dreamer.” Jarek suddenly pulled up Joker's shirt, revealing muscles that, although hidden, had been trained for many years.
“Huh!”
“Eh?”

Joker was startled, and Allan didn't understand anything.

“There are no scars left on his body, even though he was cut into three by a scorpion, but is now completely intact. People who die here will completely lose consciousness in the physical world. Worse, their bodies are in the same condition as they died here.” Jarek removed his hand from his shirt and looked straight into Joker's eyes. “According to my guess, your abilities are most likely to be healing, creating ramen bowls, and steel chopsticks.”
“…What about me creating water?”

Joker rubbed his chin thoughtfully. He suddenly realized that Jarek's words explained why his eyesight had recovered. Even so, it still doesn't explain how he created water.

“There's a high possibility that it's because of the way you used your ability to create bowls of ramen.” Jarek placed the empty bowl of ramen on the floor. ”Because water is a part of making the broth of a bowl of ramen. And you only use the necessary part of the ability you already have.”
“…” Joker looked at his own hand in surprise. He never knew the potential he held.
“…Lesson number one: dreams are a source of energy that is difficult to control, learn to use them like Lucid Dream and you will be a true Dreamer!” Jarek crossed his arms and smiled.
“Listening to what you two say makes me want to have some kind of super power~.” Allan chuckled after placing the empty bowl of ramen on the floor.
“You'll get it soon, I guarantee it.” Jarek gave him a thumbs up with a steady smile.
“Sounds really exciting~.” The gamer grinned non-stop. The mind begins to imagine scenes of supernatural powers coming to fruition.

Boom

“Huh!”

The helicopter suddenly shook violently, and the people inside felt like they had encountered an earthquake. But in the sky, earthquakes are impossible with helicopters. Something something collided with their vehicle.

BOOM

The next second, the helicopter's ceiling and floor were broken in two. The next second, it exploded between the pincers of a winged scorpion! In the midst of that chaotic scene, Jarek suddenly broke free from the fire, her white feathered wings spread wide, soaring into the sky. In her arms, Allan was still completely panicked and didn't understand what was going on.

“…Scorpions have wings!”

It took a few seconds for his brain to accept the situation before Allan saw the enemy. A black scorpion that was even bigger than the previous ones. And what's worse is that it has wings that beat faster than a helicopter's rotors! A living flying tank would be the terror of countless people!

Poof

Meanwhile, Joker is in free fall again. His whole body sank deep into the sand surface.

"…Damned!"

A few seconds later, Joker climbed out of the sand pit with a grimace on his face and clenched teeth. Even though he fell from a height of more than 1,000 meters, not a single wound appeared on his body.

“Ten seconds is the amount of time it takes for your body to recover.” Jarek analyzed after observing and then shouted loudly. ”Fight this scorpion! This is a good opportunity to show you how to use your Dream power to its fullest, J!”
“… ARE YOU KIDDING ME!” J raised his face to the sky and screamed with all the breath in his lungs.
“You are much stronger than you imagine, wolf boy!” The blonde girl said encouragingly. "Your ramen and chopsticks are created from nothing or can be thrown out like weapons, they completely depend on your belief!"

SHREEEEEK!

The scorpion roared loudly and bitterly. It flies to the nearest prey to use its large pincers to tear the prey apart.

CROSS

The monster's claws could not grasp anything. On the contrary, its wings were cut back by a Jarek. Growing from her sides are two arms with mantis crescents. The tattered wings were not strong enough to support the scorpion's giant body, so it fell freely like the Joker!

Boom

Joker rolled to the side, completely avoiding that monster weighing several dozen tons. Sand and dust flew everywhere from the impact, causing the black-haired boy to be thrown away.

“Good luck, J~.”

Jarek cheered from above. Joker quickly stood up and kept a far distance from the scorpion that was struggling to stand up. Instead of arguing or complaining to the coach, he decided to immediately practice the theory taught. Joker raised his index finger towards the enemy like a gun, his forehead muscles were squeezing at full capacity as if to brace his brain muscles. He also strained his hand in the hope that it would launch the iron chopstick like a bullet!

BANG

“GAH!”

A small explosion rang out, tearing through the air. Joker groaned, sharp pain spreading from his hand punctured by three iron chopsticks. Only one chopstick from the index finger hit the target, it seemed like shooting was not a good idea.

Bang

By reflex, Joker was clutching his hand dripping with blood from three holes. At the same time, the scorpion regained its balance and once again used its pincers to cut the bad guy into three pieces!

“That damn thing…”

Joker crawled with his intact upper body. Still conscious, he used his intact hand to point all five fingers towards the monster's face. The adrenaline in him was like a source of energy flowing through his muscles, it was burning like gunpowder!

Bang

Five iron wands were launched from the fingertips at supersonic speed. They stuck into the face of the black scorpion that was enjoying its juicy and fatty human legs! The monster panicked when it realized the enemy was alive and attacked it. That creature raised its claws as a shield to cover its face, and its six legs tried to step forward to shorten the distance with its prey.

Bang bang bang

Joker's wand shots are just enough to stick into the enemy's shell. The holes in his hands had disappeared, and his lower body was completely restored, except that his pants and shoes were missing! Even so, it still made it easier for him to retreat far away from the enemy.

“Steel chopsticks need to be thicker!”

Joker muttered and continued to fire the 5-barrel gun continuously. The wands changed from being bounced off, they gradually stuck onto the two sturdy shells on the scorpion's pincers. Finding it difficult to counterattack, the scorpion used its most deadly weapon - its venomous stinger tail!

Whoosh
Bang

The poisonous needle on the arthropod's tail tore through the wind and quickly pierced the Joker's abdomen. It uses its tail to lift its prey, its two claws raised as if celebrating having killed its prey!

 

“…Got it!” Joker tightly grasped the monster's tail, his other hand pointed at the target's face.

BANG
SHREEEEEK!

The scorpion let out a deafening scream as five steel wands pierced its face and stabbed into the hot sand. Its fluids flowed out, its body convulsed violently, causing Joker to be thrown away.

BANG

Joker fired another series of five steel wand bullets with his other hand, because his other fingers were completely bent by the force of the shot. All five wands pierced the scorpion and destroyed its brain. That arthropod tank jerked its body once and fell to the ground, not moving any further. The hole in Joker's stomach healed, his fingers stopped turning purple and became straight. Then the boy observed the monster. Only when there was no more reaction from that creature could he lower his hand and breathe a sigh of relief.

“Congratulations on passing the training.” Jarek landed and released Allan, her hand holding out a pair of elastic pants and a towel. “You've worked hard~.”
“…Even though I don't like it, the effectiveness is undeniable.” Joker replied with a half-complaint. After using water to wash off all the blood on his body, he used a towel to dry his body and then put on his pants.
“You fight so cool!” Allan jumped up, he smiled excitedly with shaking hands and turned to Jarek. “Can I make something like that?”
“It depends on how you dream.” The tattooed girl gave her thumbs up and smiled confidently. ”With someone as full of energy as you, I guarantee you will be a great Dreamer.”
“Heheh, it's so hard to wait to see my dream come true~.”

Allan smiled widely. Joker looked at him and couldn't help but be impressed. The brown-haired gamer adapted to this vague world and concept so easily. He wasn't sure whether to call it quick adaptation, or gullibility.

“And good news, you just gave birth to the creature that is the source of this dream.” Jarek said as he touched the scorpion's body with his hand.
“…So defeating it will help this dream come to an end?” Joker commented.
"Not yet." The blonde girl shook her head slightly then looked at the two boys. “But it helps me know where and who dreamed up this deadly sand world, as well as temporarily giving you two freedom from here.”
“Uh… are we going to have to go to the owner and assassinate them?” Allan blinked a few times and his smile disappeared in apprehension.
"No." Jarek shook his head and then looked towards Joker. “Also, if you don't mind, can I borrow your power, J?”
“Seeing as the tuition has helped me explore myself, feel free.” The black haired boy replied with determination in his voice.
“Then I'll come to you right away, J.” After Jarek said the appointment, she looked at Allan. “And you, have a good night's sleep, Allan of England.”

After the tattooed girl's words, Joker and Allan's bodies faded to the point where they could be seen through. The next second, the two of them disappeared into the dry wind of the desert.

--- At Joker's house---

“Huh!”

Joker suddenly opened his eyes, he found himself back in his room. But unlike the last time he woke up, the sunlight still didn't shine through his window. Picking up the phone on the nightstand, Joker saw that it was only 3 am. Looking at the door for a moment, he wondered again if that dream was real or not.

Knock knock knock

The sound of Joker's door ringing aroused his curiosity. The boy immediately left the room and went to the door. He is not afraid of thieves or robbers, because he is confident in his ability to defend himself. Of course that is if the thief is an ordinary person.

Clack
“Sorry for bothering you so late at night.”

Opening the door, Joker saw the blonde girl with full face tattoos that he met in his dream.

"…No problem." After three seconds, Joker replied calmly, but inside he was secretly relieved. Jarek's presence confirmed that things weren't just happening in his mind. “So where are we going?”
“A few villages scattered throughout southern Africa.” Jarek immediately responded.
“…How do you plan to go?” Joker was silent for a moment then asked for confirmation.
"Plane?" The blonde girl blinked a few times then replied.
“We will need Portal to go faster.” Joker immediately responded.
“Portal?” Jarek tilted his head slightly.
“… Remember to bring your passport.” Joker quickly returned to his room. He changed clothes, took his bag, jacket, wallet and passport. He left the house, locked the door and walked away. “Okay, follow me.”
“So where is that Portal?” Jarek followed curiously.
“In the CBD, Melbourne Central.” Joker walked short and quickly to the beach waiting for the hologram bus. "Will need a bus or Uber to get there- Eh!"

Joker's feet suddenly moved away from the ground, the wind pressure blew strongly into his face. Following the arm that was held tightly around his stomach, he looked back and saw Jarek spreading his feathered wings on his back. The pressure of the cold wind rushed into Joker's body. He estimated that this flying speed was faster than that of a Peregrine falcon!

“This will go faster.” Jarek chuckled, an innocent smile but mixed with a bit of mystery under the moonlight of the night sky. “Is this the direction?”
“…Yeah, just keep going this way and you'll get to the CBD.” Joker nodded, eyes turned to make sure he didn't deviate from his path

0