Chapter 5: Winterfell
34 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lord Eddard Stark

Robert had come, and brought with him more people than Ned knew what to do with. There were Lannisters, there were Baratheon soldiers, there were Lannister soldiers, there were retainers, knights, free riders and even more people. They were in Winterfell, for however long Robert wished to stay, and Ned knew that by the end of the visit he would need to make a decision on whether to be hand or not. Ned had never liked the south, it reminded him too much of what he had lost, of Brandon, of Lyanna, of father. It was a cesspit of vultures and vipers, and he did not want to go there, but he might well have to go, and he was not looking forward to that.

Turning from the window, he looks at his wife and Maester Luwin and says. "Just how certain can we be that Lysa is speaking truly. If what we know from court is true, the loss of so many children has greatly affected her. She could be seeing shadows everywhere." He remembers meeting a woman like that during the rebellion, her eyes were seeing, but they were not.

Catelyn, always the realist says. "She might be paranoid my love, but that does not mean we should not listen. We know the Lannisters have been gaining in influence over the court, and that Jon was not happy with that. If anyone had a reason to remove him, it was them."

Maester Luwin speaks then. "I agree with Lady Catelyn, my lord. Lady Lysa might not be of sound mind, as she was many years ago, but she should not be ignored. Your own sources report that the Lannisters and the Arryns were growing restless with one another."

Ned runs a hand through his hair and sighs. "I know. And I suspect you are both right. But it leads me to wonder, how could Robert let tensions reach such a level. The man I knew was not so lax."

"The man you knew has been replaced by a King, my love." Catelyn says softly. "Kings can afford to do things their lords cannot. It is why I think you must go south to be Hand. You must make sure that justice is found for Jon and for Lysa and their child. And you cannot let the Lannisters grow more powerful."

Ned sighs. "I know my love, that does not mean I like it any. Starks are not meant to go south, nothing good ever comes from it."

"You are not your father, Ned, nor are you Brandon. You are the friend of the King, go as his Hand, and you can work together. You do not know what would happen if you do not." Catelyn states.

Ned turns back to the window and then asks. "What word has there been from Benjen? I had thought to see him with the King's party."

"He was tasked with remaining in King's Landing, my lord." Maester Luwin responds. "It seems that the King wished to keep one Stark away."

"No doubt at his witch of a wife's urging." Ned grouches. "Does he have anything to say about Jon's death?"

"Only that it dragged, my lord. One day he was fine, the next he was deathly ill." Luwin responds.

Ned closes his eyes then, and feels Caitlin's hand on his shoulder, he puts his hand atop hers. "So it was poison then. Jon was too healthy for such a sudden decline in health. But why would the Lannisters want him gone that badly. That is what I do not understand."

"Perhaps King's Landing will hold more answers." Maester Luwin responds.

Ned turns round, opens his eyes and looks at his wife. "Jon will need to remain here, my love. It won't be safe to take him to King's Landing, not with the Lannister woman looking at my every move."

Thankfully, Catelyn nods. "Of course my love." Ned smiles gratefully at her, he'd brought her a child who was not hers, at the end of the rebellion, and asked her to raise him, and she'd obliged, something had changed when Jon was four or five, something had changed, and she'd become more loving to the boy, and for that he was grateful.

"Bran will need to come with me as well. Robb does not get along with Joffrey, that is not good. They are to be brothers soon enough, perhaps Bran can heal the divide." Ned says.

Catelyn tenses slightly at that, and then asks. "What do you make of the Prince, my love? Sansa is already half in love with him."

Ned grimaces at that. "The boy seems too Lannister for his own good. And Sansa, she barely knows the boy. Perhaps we have made an error there."

Catelyn laughs. "Would you rather it was Arya?"

Ned laughs, but then sobers up and replies. "I would rather not have any of our daughters going south, or any of our children. King's Landing is a dangerous place, and even more so for the presence of lions there."

Catelyn nods and asks. "How many men will you be taking with you my love?"

Ned considers this, usually during peace time, Winterfell would have a garrison of around six hundred men, perhaps seven hundred, twice that number during war. Taking all of the garrison would not be smart. "I will take two hundred men with me, plus a few of the servants I will need in the south. Nothing more."

Catelyn nods. "That seems reasonable my love."

Ned then looks at the Maester, and asks. "What do you know of the Maester at the Vale?"

"Coleman?" Luwin responds sounding surprised. "A good man, if somewhat slow in certain things, why my lord?"

"Can he be trusted?" Ned asks, remembering the man somewhat, but knowing that Luwin would be better able to judge.

"I think so yes." The man replies.

"Good, send a letter to the Vale, tell them to prepare." Ned responds.

"Prepare? Prepare for what my love?" Catelyn asks sounding worried.

Ned takes her hands in his and says. "Whatever might come."

2