Chapter 7: Wolf Pup
32 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Benjen Stark

King's Landing vibrated with life and pleasure, it was a teeming hub of activity, that Benjen found he quite liked. Oh, he knew that as a northerner he was supposed to be repulsed by it all, but he wasn't. He loved it here. He had been sent here as a lad of fifteen, by Ned, as House Stark's representative at the court of Robert Baratheon, to ensure that northern interests were not ignored. Benjen had quickly become friends with the King, as well as with the King's brother, Renly as well as the imp, Tyrion Lannister, they made quite the formidable trio, if he was honest. He had done his part for his house as well, reminding the King of money to be repaid-which unlike the debt owed the Iron Bank and the Lannisters, had been repaid- he had put forward northern interests, ensuring more men were sent north to the wall, and that the King's Road was repaired frequently. It was a good thing, him being here, he enjoyed it, and he'd had his pleasure with some of the ladies in the brothels and at court as well. Now though, things were changing, he could sense it.

Benjen looks at Renly Baratheon and Loras Tyrell, Renly he counts as a friend, Loras, well the Knight of Flowers is useful, but a fop, nothing more. He looks at them and then says. "My brother is going to come steaming in here, looking for the solution to who murdered Jon Arryn. He will not do it quietly, and he will not do it peacefully."

"And you believe Arryn was murdered then? Despite his advanced years?" Renly drawls out in question.

Benjen looks at his friend, wondering if the man is really being serious, there are times when he wishes his friend was not quite so prone to japing, and took life more seriously. Especially when Loras Tyrell was there, whispering in his ear. "Yes. I do believe Jon Arryn was murdered. There is no other explanation for why he could have suddenly dropped down dead, when the previous day he was fighting fit, and ready for action."

"Who could have done the deed then?" Ser Loras asks, yawning slightly as he does so.

Renly speaks then, his voice deadly serious. "The Lannisters are the most likely bet for this. Cersei Lannister and her father have always wanted Jon Arryn gone, he was the obstacle standing between them and complete control of the throne. Robert is far too weak to tell the whore when to shut up. As for Tywin, I think that man is the only person my brother has ever been afraid of. That he owes the man money, is not a good thing."

"The manner of which Jon Arryn died it is certainly possible that poison was involved. Poison is a woman's weapon." Benjen says agreeing with his friend.

"It is also a Dornishman's tool. Specifically, that of the Red Viper." Ser Loras points out.

Benjen shakes his head. "No, the Dornish are not as foolish as that. Even a man such as Prince Oberyn would know that the moment it was discovered by anyone connected to Robert, that Jon Arryn had been poisoned, the finger would be pointed at him. No, I do not think it is him." At least he hopes it is not, they cannot afford a war with Dorne, not with what is coming.

"Then if it is truly the Lannister woman who did the deed, it was likely done through Pycelle. The man has been a Lannister lackey for as long as I can remember." Renly replies, bitterly. "We will need more proof though, to convince Robert. I do not doubt my brother would jump at an opportunity to remove his wife from his way, but he will need some convincing I think. He has become quite good at hiding himself from the truth."

They all know what Renly means by that, the little rebellions that Robert had faced during his reign, had been organised by Jon Arryn, as a means of showing to his former ward that he could never rest easy on his laurels. Robert had never believed it though, and ignored them, and blamed it on the dragons. Though the dragons did not have such power, Benjen had seen to that. Stroking his beard, he turns to Loras and says. "My brother will go looking hard when we present him with certain facts. How soon can you get your sister here?"

"Very soon. All I need to do is send word, and we can have her here within a fortnight." Ser Loras responds confidently.

Renly looks at him inquisitively, and Benjen has to fight to keep his face expressionless. "I am surprised at you Stark. I would've thought you'd be jumping at the chance to see my nephew and your niece marry. Why then are you so suddenly determined to prevent it happening?"

If you knew the real reason why, you'd think me mad. Benjen thinks to himself, aloud, he merely says. "Starks do not do well in the south, especially Stark women. I do not want my niece to suffer the way my sister did." He looks at Loras then and says. "Lady Margaery has been prepared for this role her entire life, she knows what to do."

"And your brother will be okay with this?" Renly asks.

"Yes. Ned only wants what's best for the family." Benjen responds. And if he has any common sense he will listen to me. Not like Brandon or father. The thought is a bitter one, one he has learned to keep buried for some time, deciding to change the topic, he asks Renly. "What are the city watch saying about Baelish?"

At this his friend smirks. "The usual, he boasts about how he controls Slynt and the high command with his money and whores. Forgetting that the ground troops are mine, and mine alone. His boastfulness will be his downfall."

Benjen nods. "Good, the less he does, the more we have to achieve."

2