Chapter 3: Dragon’s Fly, Lions Roar
26 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Winterfell 305 AC.

Arya.

What he had said to her hurt, it couldn't be true and yet he was Jon and Jon had never lied to her. Out of all of them, he was the one person she could truly say that about. Even were that not so, her training would have picked up on it, she'd have felt it if he was lying to her and he had not been. Seeing him again brought up emotions she'd never thought she'd feel again.

He was her brother, the one person in the world who had loved her without thought, without question. Jon was who she'd go to when she had happy news to share or sad news that she needed to be comforted about. If she was scared of a night's storm or the howling wind, it was to his bed she'd go, and not once did he ever turn her away. Instead, he'd hold her tight and whatever worries or fears she'd have would disappear as she lay in his arms.

In all the years that she'd been away, it was him she thought the most on. True she thought of her mother, her father, Robb, Bran, and Rickon too, she even thought of Sansa. But Jon was her constant, her one true thought and the one person she most wished to see. As she walked from the Godswood, she looked down at the sword, Needle, it had protected her, saved her, but more than anything it had kept her being herself and not completely becoming no one.

"Needle is Jon's smile." she said softly as she looked at it.

A smile he usually reserved for her, a smile she'd longed to see, and yet when she had it had filled her with apprehension. What would he think of what she had become? Of the things, she had needed to do? Would he think her a monster? Would he turn away from her, look at her like they all had looked at her once? Was he still her Jon or was he like the rest of her family, lost to her?.

Once again just like when she was a girl he'd put her fears at rest, Jon accepted her and told her she was right. While she'd not told him the full extent of what she'd done, just hearing him say the words, knowing he'd understand if and when she told him was all she needed to know. From there though it had all gone wrong and so she had done what she always did now, Arya had hidden in the shadows and she'd watched. After a day the time for watching was now at an end.

"I wish to see my sister." she said to the guard who'd actually stopped her from walking into what had once been her father's room.

"The queen doesn't wish to be disturbed."

"Tell her that I wish to see her, now." she said and the look she gave the man did what her words did not.

As she entered the room she looked at Sansa sitting at the desk her father would sit at, the image she presented was so much like their mother, and yet it felt wrong to her. This had been her father's place, her mother's solar was much different. Arya had never been frightened when she was brought here, something she couldn't say about the other.

"What are your plans, your grace?" she said her voice full of bite.

"You're not happy?" Sansa said as if she was surprised.

"Why would I be happy, when I arrived you asked me if it bothered me that you were Lady of Winterfell, it didn't, this does." she said and Sansa looked at her.

"Jon gave up his crown." Sansa said.

"He did, though it seems you couldn't wait to pick it up."

"I didn't ask for it." Sansa said and Arya shook his head.

"No, wanted it though didn't you? Again what is your plan, your grace?"

"I've sent riders to speak to Jon, they carry a letter asking for an alliance." Sansa said and Arya snorted.

"Why would he do that? Why would his queen?" she asked seeing Sansa stiffen when she said queen.

"I could legitimize him, give him our name, then he and the queen could marry." Sansa said snootily.

"I don't think he needs or wants your permission for anything. So again what's your plan, Sansa? How are we to survive the army of the dead?" she asked and Sansa shook her head.

"If there is even such a thing." Sansa said a moment later.

"Have you spoken to Brienne?

"No, why?" Sansa said.

"You should, maybe you should think before you act Sansa. Do so quickly because Jon isn't coming back and his queen won't stand in front of another. So the question you should be asking is what is your crown worth? For Jon it wasn't worth the North, we'll see if you feel the same."

She turned to walk away and heard her sister mumble, turning back quickly and catching her by surprise she asked the question she wished.

"What happened to Rickon?" she asked before Sansa was ready, her sister's eyes flicking from side to side.

"I told you, Ramsay Snow killed him." Sansa said and Arya nodded.

"Oh, it's a pity Jon didn't have more men, maybe our brother would have lived. Then he'd be the king I suppose." she said seeing once again the look in Sansa's eyes.

As she walked to the door, she found Lord Wyman, Lady Lyanna, and Lord Cerwyn at the door, none of them looking happy.

"Her grace is all yours." she said walking from the room.

She made her way to the forge and found he wasn't there, the stupid bull had left too. Annoyed as she was she didn't see him at first and then she heard a growling voice from behind her and turned to see the Hound, the man just as she remembered him.

"He's left with the others, wolf girl." the Hound said.

"Who?" she asked trying to lie and finding to her surprise that the Hound saw right through it.

"The bastard smith."

"Oh, him." she said and he laughed as she tried to be nonchalant, something she'd never been able to pull off.

"Your sister is a fool, you should speak to her before she gets you all killed." the Hound said his voice far more serious now.

"She believes my brother will return." she said to a chuckle from the scarred man.

"As I said she's a fool, he's not coming back. If she and they want him to it'll cost them a crown."

"Why are you still here?" she asked.

"It's a long way back South, I wanted something warm in my belly and to sleep under a roof one more night, I'm leaving as soon as my horse is shod."

"You could stay." she said and he laughed once again.

"I've seen what's coming for us, trust me I'll not stay anywhere unless the queen and your brother are here with me." he stood up and moved to walk away.

"Why do you follow her?"

"Who said it's her I'm following?" he said as he moved once more and she reached out to stop him.

"You're following my brother?" she asked confused.

"I'm following them both. Your brother is a crazy fucker, he's mad and he'll rush into danger without thinking, but he'll fight and thanks to him I'm still here, thanks to her also."

She listened as he told her of the trip beyond the wall, how they were fucked until the queen flew in on her dragons, how to buy them more time to get on it's back Jon had fought through the wights. When he told her how the dragon had been lost, how Jon had shouted at them to leave and then been dragged down into the ice when they did, Arya felt more hatred for the dead than for any living thing she'd ever had before.

"Sandor, wait. I'm coming with you." she said as he walked from the smith's with his horse.

She soon readied her own, she needed to speak the queen to see the truth of her for herself. More than that though she needed to speak to her brother and to have him hold her in his arms and tell her who she was. She couldn't be no one, not to him. A girl was Arya Stark and he was and always would be her brother.

"Looks like we're not the only ones looking to speak to the Dragonqueen." The Hound said as they rode out the gate, Lyanna Mormont, her men, and some of Lord Wyman's riding off in the distance.

"Aye, lets beat them." she said and heard him curse as she let the horse run free.

Castle Cerwyn 305 AC.

Dany.

She gripped the furs tightly as she bit down on her bottom lip. Her fingers grabbing and then letting go as her eyes refused to close. Looking down she saw the dark curls and the grey eyes which now seemed almost a dark purple. Then again she felt his tongue as it found her core once more. Where he had learned to do this she had no idea but no one had ever seemed to know as much about her body as he did. When to press forward or retreat back, to quicken or to slow. He even knew where the line between teasing and frustration lay. She felt the shudder go through her once again as he concentrated on her nub, his tongue both going in circles and alternating from side to side, and then she felt his fingers and she was lost.

"Aegon…"

"Aegon…."

"Please… Aegon…." she cried out as he brought her over the edge.

As her body began to shake, Aegon held her, kissing the inside of her thigh softly as she finally began to calm. Dany fell back against the bed and it took her a moment to realize she'd risen up on it, her hands pushing her up as she reached her climax. As she lay there breathless, she felt him get up from the bed and then smiled when he came back with the cool wine. Aegon pouring her a glass which she drank down quickly before he poured her another.

"My queen." he said softly as he kissed her and climbed back into the bed beside her.

Since they'd left Winterfell a few days ago she'd noticed an even bigger difference come over Aegon, it was as if a weight had been lifted from him. On the ride he'd been jovial, he japed and laughed and while others looked at him strangely, Dany had welcomed this change. Oh, he still brooded and did so far better than anyone she'd ever known, but he seemed happier to her.

There was also no now pretense regarding their relationship, it wasn't furtive or secretive and Aegon was very openly affectionate. Each night he spent in her tent and given the noises she made, he too as she'd come to find out to her amusement, was another that left no doubt about the things they did. Now she was sure there was no one among their march who remained unaware that they were together. It was that clear that she had begun to notice some of the things Aegon had told her.

Varys looked at them both but there was a difference in his eyes now than before. Aegon had said he'd been watching her warily, doubtfully, wondering if she was the right queen to follow. Given how he looked at her now, it seemed he'd decided she was and Dany could see what Aegon had said about bringing him to their side. Tyron, on the other hand, was a different problem. He poked, prodded, and questioned under the guise of being her Hand and worrying about how people may take things. Now she wasn't so sure that was what he worried about, the looks he'd shoot Aegon proving his words far more right than her own.

"What are you thinking about my love?" Aegon asked from beside her.

"Varys and Tyrion." she replied honestly and found herself smirking at the put-out pout on Aegon's face.

"I don't know if my queen thinking of other men is an insult or a condemnation of my efforts." Aegon said playfully.

"A warning to keep them up, perhaps?" she said with a smile laughing as he rolled her on top of him and began to kiss her neck.

"As my queen commands." Aegon said his kisses turning more sensual as she felt him whisper in her ear.

She woke early the next morning, Aegon still asleep beside her and she watched as his chest rose and fell. Almost without realizing it her fingers brushed over the scar on his chest. That he had taken that knife and was still here was something she was in wonder of. Whatever magic that was used was something she was grateful for. Aegon had been right about something else also, A Targaryen alone in the world was a terrible thing. Dany was more than happy to not be alone anymore.

"Dany." Aegon said as he woke up and she chuckled.

"Now, that I do approve of, I should always be the first thought my love has upon awakening."

"And the last one before sleeping." he said as she kissed him.

"Are you ready for the day?" she asked and he nodded.

"Tyrion won't be happy." he said.

"Then it's just as well he's not queen." she said.

"Aye, he'd look terrible in your dresses." Aegon said forcing her to laugh loudly.

The image was still in her head when they broke their fast and Tyrion walked in, Aegon looking to her and raising his eyebrows making her burst into giggles.

"My queen?" Missandei asked and Dany leaned in to whisper it in her ear, her friend also finding herself giggling when Tyrion sat down.

They were soon joined by Varys, Ser Jorah, and Ser Davos and were eating when Grey Worm came in, her commander coming straight to her, and telling her there were riders heading this way.

"An attack?" she asked and the unsullied shook his head.

"Riders from North." Grey Worm said.

Finishing quickly they had the meals taken away and left the tent to see who Sansa had sent after them. The men were all gruff and when they looked to her they glared, Dany's own look back at them nowhere near as fierce as Aegon's. The leader of the men walked towards her once he dismounted. Grey Worm, Ser Jorah, and Aegon all moved their hands to their weapons as one and Dany wondered if the new Queen in the North would be so bold, or so stupid to try something like that.

"I bring you an offer from our queen." the man said brusquely.

"Then you'll refer to my queen as your grace or have you forgotten manners like the woman you serve." Aegon said looking at the man.

"She's not my queen, Snow." the man sneered.

It was a mistake to do so. Aegon moved swiftly, his hands a blur as he beat the man to the ground, Longclaw drawn in an instant when the others moved. Dany held her hand up for Grey Worm and Jorah to stand down, she knew they'd move if needed but looking at how Aegon was standing, they were anything but.

"Now, I'll say it once more, you'll refer to my queen, as your grace, am I understood?"

"Forgive me, your grace, I meant no disrespect." the man said through bloodied lips, even though he had indeed. Dany felt the beating he'd taken would ensure he never would again.

"You are forgiven, now what is this message your queen wishes you to give me?"

She nodded to Aegon who let the man up and then he took the letter from him and moved to her. Aegon handed her the letter and Dany looked to see if he was hurt or still angry. Finding he was neither, she opened the letter and read it, before handing it to him, Aegon's anger was clear though it was laughter rather than anything else that he answered it with.

"Your grace?" Tyrion asked overly eager.

Turning from the men she walked into the tent with her advisers and then finally Aegon following after her, Dany hearing him tell the man he'd have his answer in a moment. While Tyrion and Varys asked her what the letter said, Dany looked to the entrance of the tent and waited for Aegon to enter. He was chuckling when he did so and when she looked to his face she saw once again that deep dark purple of his eyes.

"Your grace?" Tyrion asked almost irritably.

"The Queen in the North is willing to legitimize her brother, allow him and I to marry and to enter into a trading agreement with the six kingdoms. In return for my armies, my dragons and I'm not sure if I'm actually included in this, her brother helping the North deal with the threat it faces." Dany said.

"Aye, I don't think your participation personally is required. Even in this Sansa still can't help herself but be disrespectful." Aegon said angrily.

"Perhaps we ought…" Tyrion began only for Aegon to cut him off.

"What think of it? Do you think I care about legitimization or need anyone but my own queen's permission to marry? I held a crown Tyrion, I could have named myself Jon Stark at any point, I did not. Sansa may call herself a queen and by now may even have had a crown made but I am not one of her subjects. I swore no oath to her and I've never knelt to her. Daenerys Targaryen is the only queen I've done both to and the only queen I serve." Aegon said and Dany felt her heart soar at his words.

She looked to see Grey Worm, Jorah, Missandei all looking at Aegon with a little more understanding. All three of them knew how she felt, Missandei because she had confided in her, Grey Worm because Missandei told him everything, and Jorah because she'd asked him to protect Aegon as if he was protecting her. Though there were no true doubts about how Aegon felt about her, each time he did something he won them over even more.

"Missandei can you get me some paper and some ink, It seems I've got a letter to write." Missandei moved from the tent and was back no more than a few moments later.

Dany sat down and began to write, smiling as she did so and showing Aegon the letter when she'd finished. Leaving the tent they walked back outside and she handed the letter to the man Aegon had beaten. Seeing now first hand just how badly beaten he had truly been.

"For your queen." Dany said.

"Thank you." he gulped and she caught Aegon moving towards him "Your Grace." he added and was on his horse in the blink of an eye, quickly riding away.

"Do you think she'll like my words, Jon Snow?" she asked, hating to call him that name now.

"Who cares what she likes, my queen." Aegon said with a smirk.

When they got back to the tent she felt now was as good a time to tell them of her and Aegon's plans. Shutting down the arguments which came from Jorah, Varys, and especially Tyrion. Missandei kept her thoughts to herself but Dany could see her friend was worried about her. Despite not wishing it, she allowed Tyrion a moment alone before they would ready to head off.

"Speak your mind, Tyrion." she said curtly.

"Your Grace, I believe this to be foolish, once again you're flying into danger, and for what? The North has made it clear we're not welcome here, they've named a new queen, why risk yourself to help them?"

"Jon gave his word to Lord Umber and to the Free Folk, and I gave mine to him. Since we've come to the North Jon has shown what his word means to him, even going against his family because of the oath he swore to me. If I cannot hold just as true to my word to him, then what does that make me?"

"A queen." Tyrion mumbled before looking to her "Jon Snow vowed to bring the North, your grace, he did not. I take that as a breaking of those vows and as such we're not obliged to live up to any we may have made."

"When enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. That's what Jon said when we met your sister. When he kept to the oath he made to me. Despite everything it meant he'd rather keep to that oath, now you'd have me break mine?"

"I'd have you safe, your grace." Tyrion said.

"From the moment I was born I've not been safe, at least now I'm not alone." she said as she moved.

"Your grace.." Tyrion began only for Grey Worm to walk into the tent.

"Riders from the North, my queen."

"They've returned?" she asked confused.

"Others." Grey Worm said and Dany walked with him from the tent, Tyrion waiting and then joining them.

She looked to see the group which approached, some men and what looked like two girls one of whom seemed to be Aegon's sister. Dany looked to Aegon who seemed just as surprised as she was to see his sister riding with the Hound. Though soon it was the other riders who Dany was just as interested in, Jorah's cousin was someone Aegon respected and that she was kin to her loyal bear, made her to Dany's mind a different sort than some of the other northerners.

She watched as Aegon looked to his sister, his eyes filled with something akin to hope as he did so. When she saw the girl smile at him, Dany felt her own smile close to the surface. Only her queenly duties keeping her from allowing it to break free.

"Lady Arya, Lady Mormont, what brings you here?" she asked when both girls were standing in front of her.

"I bring an offer, your grace, from the North." Lady Lyanna said.

Castle Cerwyn 305 AC.

Aegon.

He had to laugh at the offer Sansa had sent, though he'd give her some credit for thinking of it. Maybe in another life, he'd have welcomed it. To be a Stark had been something he'd wanted all his life. After he was crowned he'd not named himself so because it would have proved her right. It was bad enough that he was taking a crown that she'd have felt belonged to her children. He'd not take Winterfell or name himself something she'd have never have accepted, he'd not prove her words right.

Fate though was funny and all his life he'd been held in contempt by Catelyn Stark for what she thought he was. So worried was she that the bastard would usurp her trueborn children. So jealous was she of a woman whose name she didn't know that he had suffered because of it. Yet in the end, he wasn't a bastard, he was trueborn and he was the one being usurped. She'd put her daughter in a position to usurp him, set her up so her grandchildren would take his own's rightful place.

That she didn't do so knowingly wasn't a great comfort, especially considering his uncle had known what he was he doing. But there had been a time when he'd longed for the man he thought his father to name him a Stark. Had Sansa being named queen and offered it to him before now then he'd probably have accepted and done so gratefully. Of course, he'd learned just how wrong he'd been in his view of the world since then. Now it and the offer to allow him to marry was pitiful, pathetic, and after reading what his queen had written, he'd have given anything to see Sansa's face when she got her reply.

"You look happy, Jon." Davos said from behind him.

"Aye, we'll be heading to Last Hearth and Karhold later, to the Mountain Clans also." he said.

"Good. You'll be going to the Wall?" Davos asked worriedly.

"At least to look at it, aye."

Before the man had gotten a chance to ask any other questions they saw riders heading their way and Aegon sent Grey Worm for Dany. He had been surprised to see Arya and Lyanna Mormont, hopeful when his little sister smiled at him and even more so when Lyanna said she brought an offer from the North. Aegon knowing that this one would be far different than the one Sansa had sent.

"Why did you come?" he asked Arya who looked at him worriedly, Aegon realizing he'd sounded as if he didn't wish her there "Not that I'm not grateful you have." he added quickly as they walked to the tent.

"I wished to see you, Jon, I wanted to spend time with my brother and his queen. I want to see what it is that makes you believe in her so."

"Speak to her people, Arya, any of them. Grey Worm, Missandei, talk to the woman of the Dothraki or the men of the unsullied. You'll come to see her as I do. I..I'm glad you're willing to try." he said with a smile.

"You were right, Jon, you've not forgotten about family, I don't want to either." she said and he reached out to muss her hair, forgetting that she was almost a woman grown.

After entering the tent Aegon walked to stand beside Dany, Arya looking at him and then at Lyanna Mormont. He watched as the she-bear stared at him, her expression never changing and even he felt if he looked at her for too long he'd find himself turning away. Lyanna for such a small girl had a bearing about her, it was admirable and Aegon felt regret that he'd no memory of the girl's mother or sisters.

"Your grace, on behalf of the North I ask you to reconsider your decision to leave. Lord Snow's words were harsh but fair, I'm the first to admit when I was wrong and in that meeting, I let my annoyance and anger at Lord Snow cloud my understanding of what he was saying." Lyanna said.

"You named him king and he knelt without explaining his reasons to, that was where your anger lay?" Dany asked and Aegon looked at them both, not having thought of that.

"It is. That he gave up his crown I can understand, though he should not have." Lyanna said and Aegon looked to her.

"What should I have done, my lady?" he asked curiously.

"Arranged a marriage." she said simply to surprised looks.

"You'd have accepted this?" Dany asked with a smirk.

"It is the way of the world, your grace. Alliances are brought through marriage, lords, ladies, princes, kings, and queens. I knelt for a king your grace, I'd have knelt for his wife also." Lyanna said.

Aegon glared at Tyrion, had Sansa been there she too would have been on the end of his angry looks. They were supposed to be the politicians. That his sister knew the value of marriage was clear in her offer to Dany for her armies. He knew Tyrion's reasons for not bringing it up, now he was beginning to wonder what Sansa's were.

"Your queen has offered to legitimize Lord Snow, to allow him and I to wed in return for my armies." Dany said and while Aegon looked to see Arya's frown he heard Lyanna Mormont's snort.

"You think it a bad offer my lady?" Aegon asked.

"I think it a fools one, Lord Snow and Sansa Stark is not my queen." Lyanna Mormont said.

"You didn't kneel?" Dany asked raising an eyebrow and looking at her.

"I've knelt to the only king or queen of the North I intend to." Lyanna said looking to him, Aegon giving her a small nod which she returned.

"Your offer my lady?" Dany asked curiously.

"A king for a queen, your grace." Lyanna said and Aegon shook his head, a small smirk on his face.

"Continue, Lady Mormont." Dany said her own smile present too.

"I and the other Northern lords will once again name Lord Snow, King in the North your grace. We will do so under the agreement that he and you are to be wed. We'll accept you as our queen by marriage, just as the rest of the seven kingdoms will accept Jon Snow as your king the same way."

"Why would we give you this? we have no need of your men nor a need to protect them." Tyrion said angrily.

"Silence, you do not speak for me, Lord Hand. You'll keep your thoughts and words to yourself unless I ask for them, is that understood?" Dany said.

"Y.."

"I said is that understood." Dany raised her voice and Tyrion nodded.

"An interesting proposal my lady and a far more agreeable one than the one Lord Snow's sister sent. But do you speak for all the lords of the north?" Dany asked.

"Enough of them your grace. I care not for this, truly. Subterfuge and politics of this nature are a southern thing. I like Lord Snow was raised to believe that the North valued honor above dishonor, our word was our bond, and what we said we'd live and die by.

Jon Snow tells me there is an army of dead men coming my way, that to survive it we need his queen's help, then I believe him. But I swore to follow a Stark my lady, one with the blood of the King's of Winter in their veins. So give us back our king your grace and you have my fealty and the fealty of the North." Lyanna said.

"Could you give me a few moments my lady, perhaps you and your cousin can speak together, I'm sure Ser Jorah would welcome the opportunity."

"Your grace." Lyanna said and Dany nodded as she turned to leave.

"I'll speak to you in a moment Arya, Ghost is around here somewhere." he said and Arya too turned to leave, mentioning something about Gendry that he barely heard.

They were no sooner out of the tent than Tyrion began, Aegon watching as Dany grew angrier and angrier as he spoke.

"You cannot contemplate this, your grace. They bring nothing to the table, they need our help and are willing to offer any words that would bring you back to them. This is obviously done with Sansa's Stark's approval, it's far too coincidental that both arrived together."

"Jon?" she asked.

"I may be biased here your grace, a marriage, and a crown seems to be what the North wishes me to have." he said rolling his eyes, Dany's smirk telling him she understood his jape.

"Exactly, was this your plan Snow? To force our queen into this? Manipulate her into giving you what you want?" Tyrion said.

The slap he hit him with knocked him to the ground, Missandei, Grey Worm, Varys, and even Dany looking at him shocked.

"You really think so little of my queen to think she can be manipulated or is it you fear that your own manipulations are no longer working as well as you wish? Her grace and I have had this discussion before Lord Tyrion. Why didn't you suggest a marriage? An alliance between the North and the queen? What reason did you have for not bringing it up?"

"You were a ba…."

"A bastard aye, but one that held a crown. How is it a three and ten nameday old girl understands politics better than the Hand of the Queen? He asked and Tyrion didn't reply.

"Leave us, all of you." Dany said and Tyrion went to complain "All of you."

Once they had gone he turned to look at her with an apologetic look on his face. One which she waved off as she did the words he spoke.

"I should not have done that." he said softly.

"Had you not then I may have." she said looking to him "This offer Aegon, you think it true?"

"Aye. I had hoped they'd come to their senses, everything I'd done was to see it so though I'd not dared hope them to come around so fully. I wanted them to accept my queen, I'd not thought they had another way to see it done. The North is proud Dany, for all Lyanna, spoke of its honor, for all I believed in it, it's pride is just as strong and I see that now."

"You wish us to turn back?" she asked.

"We came here to bring the North to your side and to save it from what's coming for it. It seems we're about to see the first is done and that gives us a chance for the second." he said moving to her.

"So we're to marry then?" she asked with a smile as he kissed her.

"A wedding in a godswood at night is a wondrous sight, will you marry me, Dany?" he asked and she nodded.

"Well, if I must, but only for a crown, Aegon." she said giggling when he picked her up.

They called the others in and he saw Lyanna look to them both, nervous and yet eager for their words.

"What of Lady Sansa, my lady?" Dany asked.

"Upon your return, she will willingly give up her crown or be unnamed publicly your grace. Lord Wyman and the other lords will have explained the situation to her by now. Do we have an accord?" Lyanna asked hopefully.

"We do, lady Lyanna. His grace and I intend to fly to Last Hearth to see to the evacuations. I'll leave orders with our armies to turn and head back to Winterfell. You may accompany them if you wish."

"I will, thank you, your grace." Lyanna said to Dany "Your grace." she said with a smile as she bowed to him and turned to leave.

Dany ordered Grey Worm and Qhono to make ready to march back, Varys looking on seeming even more pleased than usual. Aegon knew they were now closer to him being completely on their side. After speaking to Missandei and Jorah, and after a tense discussion with Tyrion, she turned to head to the dragons leaving him alone with Arya.

"What do you think?" he asked nervously.

"Of you being married or being a king again?" Arya smirked.

"Of Sansa losing her crown?"

"She won't be happy, but it's the right thing to do Jon."

"Aye, it is, ride back with them Arya, speak to them as I said, we'll spend time together when I return."

"I'm so jealous of you, getting to ride with the queen on her dragon, gods what I wouldn't give for that." Arya said with a wistful look on her face.

"If that makes you jealous then what you're about to see will only do more so. But I promise to take you up there as soon as I can."

Looking at her face and the face of the Northmen, at Lyanna's when he climbed up on Rhaegal's wing he wondered what was going through their minds. No one had raised the fact he was flying on a dragon to him or to Dany and he wondered just why that was. He knew Arya wouldn't let this slide, his sister looking at him with awe as he leaned down close to the dragon's head. Aegon could see her far more clearly than she had been up to now, she was in there and closer than ever to breaking free, his little sister smiling when Rhaegal took to the sky.

Winterfell 305 AC.

Jaime Lannister.

He had kept to the side roads mainly, more so once he arrived in the North itself. Even dirty and tired as he was Jaime knew that anyone who'd seen him would know him as a Lannister and here in the North that would not be a good thing. When he reached Wintertown he was surprised by the number of people in the small town. The last time he'd ridden through here the place had partially been a village, now it seemed a fully inhabited town for true.

Given the things that lay North of the Wall he wondered had the people left their homes and came here for safety. He vaguely remembered Tyrion telling him something about that many years before. How in winter the town swelled in population. No one paid him any mind as he rode through and then he saw the walls of Winterfell in front of him once more.

Entering the gates he couldn't help but be reminded of what it had felt like when he'd come here the first time. He climbed down off his horse and pulled down his hood, looking around to see the courtyard and almost being taken back to seven years before. A different time and place, where his children lived, he loved his sister and his father and brother were by his side. He glanced down at the glove that covered his golden hand he shook his head, there was no point dwelling on the past.

Looking up he saw a boy sitting in a wheeled chair and it took a moment for him to recognize him. The small smile on his face soon gave away to a guilty, horrified look.

" The things we do for love."

The voice felt like it was calling him from the past as he looked to the boy and saw he was just staring ahead. Before he knew it there were swords pointing at him and as he looked at the Stark guards he began to notice something he had not. Where were the Dothraki? The Queen's Unsullied? Where were the dragons? What the hell had he ridden into?.

Whatever it was he was soon to find out as he watched the boy in the chair be wheeled inside and soon found himself following. The sword at his hip taken from him and a slap to his mouth the only reply to his questions. Soon he was once again standing in the Great Hall of Winterfell and trying his best not to let old ghosts fill his thoughts. Something made quite difficult when he looked at the red-headed woman sitting in pride of place.

"Ser Jaime, why have you come here?" Sansa Stark asked yet for Jaime he may as well have been back in that cage in the Riverlands, the woman in front of him could well have been her mother's twin.

"I came to fight the dead my lady." he said.

"Your Grace, you'll refer to our queen properly, Kingslayer." a gruff voice called out.

"Forgive me your grace, but I was under the impression that Jon Snow was king. Though given how quickly they fall, perhaps not?" he said with a smirk, the slap to the back of his head was hard and almost dropped him to his knee.

"Your brother said you'd be bringing the Lannister Army, I don't see an army with you, Ser Jaime?" Sansa said, Jaime, smiling knowing that Tyrion had come here.

"No, my sister is not one for keeping to her word, though I'd love to see my brother once more, is he here?" he asked.

"No your sister is not, so you've come alone?" Sansa asked not answering the question he asked.

"I have, your grace."

"I find I've no use for you Ser Jaime, a one-handed swordsman doesn't really bring much to the table, and even were it not so, there are crimes you must answer for."

"Crimes?" he asked curiously.

"You attacked my father in King's Landing, waged war on House Stark."

"Who waged war on my own house, lest you forget who started this war. Or did my brother kidnap himself?"

"You tried to destroy my house, my family." Sansa said angrily.

"You want me to apologize I won't, we were at war. Everything I did, I did for my house and my family. I'd do it all again."

"The things we do for love" Bran Stark said and Jaime felt himself gulp, waiting for what came next.

"You say we were at war Ser Jaime, what happens to those who lose that war? What happens to that are taken prisoner? How would your father have treated my brother had he caught him?."

"Harshly, your grace." he said.

"Take Ser Jaime to the dungeons, he'll be executed on the morrow."

"Your grace, your grace please. Ser Jaime is an honorable man, I know this. When we were both taken prisoner the men tried to force themselves on me, Ser Jaime defended me."

"One honorable act doesn't outweigh the many dishonorable ones, Lady Brienne. Guards."

"Ser Jaime is entitled to a trial by combat your grace, I stand ready to act as his champion." Brienne said and Jaime found himself looking at her, shocked, and stunned that she do such a thing.

"Very well on the morrow, we'll hold a trial of combat. Until then, Ser Jaime will spend his time in the dungeons." Sansa said standing up and turning to walk from the hall.

He tried to speak to Brienne to get her to withdraw her offer but he was practically dragged from the hall. Before he knew it he was sitting on a stone bed in a cold, damp cell and he laughed, it was better than a cage at any rate. The food he was given was pitiful but at least it was warm and after eating it he heard the door being opened. Looking up to see that Brienne was now standing in front of him.

"You shouldn't have done that." he said and she glared at him "Though I'm grateful for it." he smiled.

"Why did you come?" she asked.

"I gave my word, but you were right, this goes beyond loyalty, this is about survival."

"Should I lose." she said softly.

"Unless it's Snow they have you face, you'll not. Speaking of the Bastard of Winterfell where is he? Have they moved to the wall already?" he asked.

He listened as she told him what Jon Snow had done, how he'd called out the North for their stupidity. Jaime found himself laughing at the idea that he'd turned and just rode away, taking the armies and dragons back south. Briefly, he worried about Cersei and the idea that they'd soon be facing his sister and the armies she'd brought to fight for her.

"He'll return." Jaime said and Brienne looked at him.

"The queen has sent men with an offer but I doubt she'll be successful. Her brother's moves have vexed and confused her."

"Good, then he's learning. But that boy will fight for the North, he cares too much not to."

"You should rest." Brienne said turning to leave.

"You're the one who's fighting not me, you should be the one who's resting." he said and she nodded as she left.

He found himself unable to sleep, wondering if he was right about Jon Snow or ascribing to him something he'd lost in himself. That he worried about the fight on the morrow also keeping him awake. Not that in the end, it mattered as no one came for him on the morrow or the next day and despite asking the guards, no one spoke to him or came for a few days after either.

Winterfell 305 AC.

Sansa.

She had been in no mood to deal with Jaime Lannister and was furious that Brienne had stepped up for him. A trial by combat was an impossibility for her and Brienne had put her in a terrible position. That she had been the one to bring it up and offered to champion the Kingslayer had taken Sansa's own champion from her. It was only when she got back to her room that she realized that she should have demanded her sworn sword fight for her.

While not officially a Queensguard, Brienne was one in all but name, and that she had now gone against her so publicly meant now she couldn't serve as one. No way could Sansa trust her after this, she'd shown her loyalties lay with Jaime Lannister over her. Were it the first time she had questioned her then perhaps she could have let it go, but she'd done so over her handling of the Dragonqueen and Jon. She'd spoken about the dead being real and that without the dragons they were done for.

As if she didn't understand that, whatever else she may think of Jon he wasn't a liar. His own words and actions since he'd arrived at Winterfell only further emphasizing the truth of that. She knew what was coming for them and she'd tried to prepare. Sitting down at her father's desk she looked at the letter resting on it, the letter that she'd received turning down her proposal. Now knowing that she'd have to tell the northern lords about that too, the letter was probably going to cost her, her crown. She picked it up and read it again, the words angering her greatly.

Your grace,

While your offer is greatly tempting, I find I must decline. After speaking to your brother he informs me he has no wish to be called a Stark, if anything he desires never to be named as such. As for you offer to allow us to wed, it seems there is a custom amongst the Free Folk who still name your brother king. When a man or a woman desire to make someone theirs they steal them, of course not in the literal sense.

They carry them off and though they may fight against it, it's not a true fight and more to test the worthiness of those who try to steal them. It seems unbeknownst to me but at least amongst the Free Folk they tell me that traveling beyond the wall to rescue him was in their eyes enough.

So we cannot accept your permission, your grace, for it seems I've already stolen him from you.

Daenerys Stormborn.

The urge to rip the letter up or throw it in the fire was just as strong as it had been and yet she couldn't quite bring herself to do either. She knew the lords were soon to find out and she could only guess how they'd react. Lyanna Mormont had ridden off with some of her men, where to she didn't know but she could guess and Arya had disappeared. Though that wasn't unusual, her sister came and went as she pleased and Sansa wouldn't know where she was from one end of the day to the next unless she was standing right beside her.

Bran was no help either, her brother even more obtuse and confusing than ever. As she was sitting in the solar pondering her next move the knock came to the door, a servant informing her that Lord Manderly wished to speak to her. Despite not wanting to speak to anyone Sansa knew she had no choice, the Lord of White Harbor had not knelt, and given the Dragonqueen's answer, he may cause trouble. Nodding to the girl, she had her bring the fat lord in, Wyman looking every inch a walrus as he waddled to the chair and sat when she nodded to him.

"Your Grace, I've come on behalf of the other lords." Lord Wyman said and Sansa felt her breath hitch.

"What is it my lords wish to discuss with me, Lord Manderly."

"Your brother and the Dragonqueen, your grace. I know your offer to Lord Snow and Queen Daenerys was rejected, your insight regarding your brother was wrong, your grace. Now because of it, the North finds itself in the most perilous position it's ever been."

"My brother will return my lord." she said decidedly less assuredly than she'd wanted.

"He will, your grace, but not based on your offer. Lord Snow will return based on mine." the fat lord said and Sansa glared at him.

"Going behind a queen's back is treason my lord." she said angrily.

"I never knelt to you Lady Sansa, I did so to your brother and only he can accuse me of such. What your brother said in the hall was right, at the time I like others was too proud to see it, not now. A crown means nothing compared to the North itself and a kingdom can't exist without people."

"I'm sure there is a point to all of this Lord Manderly." she said sneering at him.

"Jon Snow knelt for his people, he gave up his crown for them, you need to do the same." Lord Wyman said his words like an arrow to her heart.

"I will not, you may have stayed on your feet but other lords knelt, they named me their queen."

"And they can and will choose to name another my lady. I have the support of the other lords, the men we brought won't fight for you and so I came to make you an offer. Stand down for the good of the North and I'll let you frame it any way you wish, as long as you don't disparage your brother or his queen. Stand down and your name will be spoken of reverently as a good queen who cared for her people and did what was necessary to see them survive."

"And should I not?" she asked.

"Then when your brother returns we'll reject you you publicly and the North will speak much differently. When this war is over my lady, you'll be the Stark in Winterfell, far better to be a Stark people look up to than one they turn away from." Lord Wyman said standing up.

She watched him move to the door and felt her anger rise, how dare he, this man who'd not given them any forces to take her home back from the Bolton's. Who instead had just sat in his hall in White Harbor, how dare he demand she kneel.

"You have until the morrow, my lady, the other lords and I wish an answer by then."

For the rest of the night, she sat and plotted and planned, working out how to come out of this with her crown, and found to her dismay there wasn't any way she could without kneeling first. Men were fickle and oaths were not kept to, she'd seen that first hand now more than once, but men were ambitious too. Today they'd kneel to her bastard brother and his Dragonqueen because they needed them, but what about tomorrow? What about once the threat was done?

Making her way to the Great Hall she felt the resentment build inside her, these men had done nothing when she was held in these halls. Most had done nothing when she'd come to them and now they were doing nothing to stop her crown being taken away from her. Sansa had learned many lessons and one had stuck with her.

" If you wait long enough an opportunity will present itself to give you what you desire, waiting is easy, knowing the perfect time to strike, that's a talent, Alayne, one I hope you'll learn." Littlefinger said.

Learn she had or at least she thought she had and while Jon was on Dragonstone she'd struck. Allowed the lords to run her brother down and for the worry, discontent, and resentment that he'd left them to begin to fester. She'd spoken of the Dragonqueen using Littlefinger's words about her beauty, framing it in worry for Jon, while leaving those she talked with worrying about what a bastard would give up to please a beautiful queen.

She had waited and struck when the time was right, but she had underestimated Jon and assumed he'd act how he always did. His honor was his weakness and his love for their family something that could be used against him. Next time she'd not make the same mistake and as she entered the Great Hall to stand down as queen she smiled Retreat was not the same as surrender after all.

La st Hearth 305 AC.

Aegon.

They passed Ned Umber on the way, along with many other groups of people. The young lord of Last Hearth the only one traveling north. They had skirted around Winterfell, Aegon in no wish to give Sansa any hope that he was returning. Though it would be there they'd be heading to once their work north was done. Soon enough they were flying over the Dreadfort and he could see people barring up the keep. Sansa's ravens not enough to force these people to leave, he sighed knowing that he'd have to stop here also on their way back.

Everyone between the wall and Winterfell was meat to the Night King's army and unlike Aegon needing young, fit, able-bodied soldiers, the army of the dead had no such reservations. Old, young, fit or unfit, healthy or sick, it mattered not, to the Night King they'd be a soldier able to kill one of his. Were to Aegon they'd be a burden needing to be protected.

When he saw Karhold he was glad to see it mainly empty, the young red-headed girl on her horse marshaling the last remaining people was clearly young Alys and he would need to hurry her along. That though was a problem for another day and today's lay a little further, Aegon pointing ahead so Dany didn't think this was the Umber's home.

Last Hearth was built on a hill, a winding rocky road around it leading to the keep itself. Defensively the keep would be incredibly hard to take if it were normal soldiers coming towards it. Men would be lost, arrows would fly and a lord wishing to take it would see his folly and retreat. Unfortunately for the Umbers, it wasn't a normal army coming and the keep would fall. Pointing to a large open space near the top of the hill, he followed Dany and Drogon when they landed, Rhaegal landing close beside them.

"Dany, the dragons should rest here, not go on without us, even to eat." he said as she climbed down off Drogon's back, Dany walking to the dragon and asking him to stay and Aegon looking on as Drogon seemed to huff.

Rhaegal was more accommodating, Aegon letting the dragon know he was worried about him flying alone. He looked deep into his dragon's eyes and saw what looked like warmth there, something he felt through their bond also. They were soon joined by some men on horses, though they stayed as far from the dragons as they could while still being able to be heard.

"Your grace, we did not expect you." the large man said, Artos Snow Ned Umber's castellan Aegon remembered from his conversations with Davos.

"Just a lord, Artos. The queen and I passed Lord Umber on the road, he travels here with horses and wagons but he'll not reach you for a moon at least. You must depart now Artos, walk, double up on horses, pack what wagons you can, but you must leave now."

"Your grace." Artos said acknowledging Dany before turning to him "The people need an order from their lord, you… my lord. I've tried to order them but they await Lord Umbers return, some don't wish to see the young lord made look weak, my lord.".

Aegon nodded, he knew that he was partly the reason for that. He'd forgiven House Umber their crimes and hadn't held the father's actions against the son. In doing so he'd shown favor to Ned and elevated him even more than simply being his father's heir had. There would always be people trying to undermine a young lord or lady, and Ned Umber was no Lyanna Mormont.

"Very well, Artos, her grace and I will ride with you to the keep and explain our wishes, perhaps an order from mine or the queen's lips would suffice?" he said and Artos nodded.

Artos had one of the men give up his horse and Dany climbed up on it's back with no help, Aegon quickly climbed up behind her. He wrapped his arms around her as she took the reins and spent the journey to the keep whispering in her ear, trying his best to make her laugh and being surprised at her ability to keep a straight face.

"My queen is not amused?" he whispered softly.

"Your queen is acting a queen, Jon Snow." she said even though calling him by his name probably wouldn't have been overheard.

"Perhaps my queen is cold and requires me to warm her up." he whispered as he nibbled softly on her ear, feeling her move back against him.

"You do not play fair, Jon Snow." Dany said with a smile on her face.

"I play to win, your grace." he said as he kissed her cheek.

Reaching the courtyard of Last Hearth he was glad to see they'd at least made their preparations to leave. He helped Dany down from the horse and following Artos in though the large wooden doors. Soon he found himself walking down a hall and into the Great Hall itself, finding a large open room full of people. Seeing him and Dany walk in he heard whispered murmurs of the King In the North and Jon Snow. Some whispered Dragonqueen under their breath though not with the same vitriol that others had said it since Dany arrived in the North.

"I've come from Winterfell with her grace bearing grave news. The wall has fallen and the army marches and all of you must leave and leave now. Lord Umber travels here from Winterfell with wagons, horses, and supplies, but if he is to meet you here than I fear it'll be too late for all of you." Aegon said loudly.

"What would you ask of us your grace." a tall woman said moving forward, the others looking at her as she did so.

Aegon was ready to correct her when Dany stepped forward, looking the woman in the eye and both of them getting the measure of each other.

"His grace and I would ask you to set off now, head for Winterfell, and meet your lord on the road. Cut down the travel time Lord Umber has to make and hurry for Winterfell." Dany said.

"Lord Umber is truly on the road, your grace?" the woman asked looking to him.

"I passed him myself, my lady. Her grace speaks truly, but if you wait until he arrives then you put all your lives at even more risk. I give you my word, set off, and set off now and we'll shield you back." Aegon said and the woman nodded before she turned around and seemed to move everyone to do as he had bid.

It was early the next morning that they set off, a procession of people who'd move slowly but at least would be moving in the right direction. Once they had, he and Dany made their way to the dragons. They had miles to go before they themselves could truly rest and time was of the essence. They flew first to Karhold, finding the keep deserted and so they flew further south to catch up with Alys and her people.

Once they did he told them to make haste for Winterfell, to push themselves and made the same promise to them that he had to the Umbers. They rested up that night in a small cave on the Grey Cliffs. Drogon and Rhaegal flying over the Bay of Seals to feed before coming back and staying with them. It was cold and damp and the fire was pitiful, so he ended up trying to provide Dany with whatever warmth he could. Finding to his surprise that she wasn't cold at all.

After breaking their fast on some dried meat and bread, they took to the sky once more. They flew over Last Hearth and saw it was empty and that so far at least, the Army of the Dead was nowhere close. The flight to the Northern Mountains took some time and when they got there, Aegon was annoyed to see none of the Mountain clans had moved. Landing they were quickly found by some guards and the walk to the small keep that belonged to House Wull was a quiet strange affair.

The men with them said nothing and Dany looked to him more than once worriedly, Aegon shaking his head to let her know they had nothing to fear from these men. Arriving at the largest building in the small village, they were given bread and salt and brought into the hall, Aegon looking around the room to see the large figure of Big Bucket Wull and some of the other heads of the mountain houses. Norrey, Liddle, Knott, Harclay, Burley. All the chiefs it seemed had gathered and he wondered why they'd not left, though he knew the Mountain Clans were proud men.

"The Jon comes to speak to us, we'd thought you'd forgotten about us?" Big Bucket Wull said, his voice angry.

"Forgive me Lord Wull, but why have you not marched?" he asked to angry glares and raised voices.

"Marched, Marched, why would we march? Waited for you here we did, The Jon, our men ready to fight to take back The Ned's home and rescue his daughter and never did you come. March, we've been ready to march for you for more than a year." Morgan Liddle said.

"Forgive me, my lords, after I came back things were confusing." he said and saw the strange looks he was given "But why haven't you marched now my lords, surely my sister's raven explained the danger you're in?."

"The Sansa has sent us no ravens, not when you marched, or when you were crowned or since then." Torghen Flint said his expression one of disgust.

Aegon couldn't believe it, he'd not even thought of the Mountain Clans, their numbers and experience fighting would have been invaluable to him in trying to take Winterfell back. Was it his death? Did it confuse him? Leave him forgetful, or was it something worse?.

"My lords, the wall has fallen and an army of dead men march through it, soon they'll reach the mountains and you alone won't be able to stand against them." he said seeing their expressions hadn't changed.

"We know of the Wall's fall, The Jon. We called this meeting to speak on it, this army you speak of though we know not." Brandon Norrey said.

He told them then of the Night King, White Walkers, and the Army of the Dead. Telling them how Dany had brought her army and her dragons to help them defeat them. When he told them he'd thought Sansa had sent every house in the North a raven telling them to travel to Winterfell he could see their anger. He felt his own too, though a lot of that was at himself also. How could he have forgotten about them and could he really blame Sansa for doing the same, no he could not.

"Why should we believe you, The Jon? Aye we see the Dragonqueen and the dragons but why should we believe you?" Big Bucket asked.

"When I was at the Wall my lords, serving as Lord Commander, I brought the Free Folk through because of this threat. I traveled to Hardhome and watched as the Night King raised his hands and dead men moved once more."

"Wilding's".

"Savages"

He heard the disgusted voices of the clan leaders, the Free Folk had no love here, and yet amongst these people of all in the North the lines between them were perhaps the closest.

"Men of the Watch, men I called my brothers didn't think what I was done was right, under the pretense of word of my uncle Benjen, they lured me out and stabbed me in the night." he said and knew by the looks in their faces some had heard this tale.

He began to remove his cloak, his gambeson, and finally, his tunic looking at them all as he did so. Beside him, Dany smiled reassuringly and he nodded to let her know that this needed to be done.

"For three days I was dead and then I was brought back. Why? I don't know other than to think it was to fight this war."

He threw the shirt down to the ground, standing bare-chested in the hall. Each man in the room moving forward in his seat to look at him. Big Bucket stood up, the man's height the only thing which made him look thinner than Lord Manderly. His large belly though didn't seem to slow him any as he walked over to him and standing in front of him he looked into his eyes and when Aegon nodded, Big Bucket reached out to touch the wound over his heart.

"The Jon speaks true." Big Bucket said as he made his way back to his seat.

"What would you have us do, The Jon?" Morgan Liddle asked.

"Prepare your people and march to Winterfell, all of them, men, women, children, the old and even the sick. The Night King cares not and asks only one question, does your heart beat? If it does then you're meat in his army, so gather what you can and march my lords and march fast."

"Aye, we'll march, for The Jon."

"The Jon." another voice said.

They ate warm food that nigh, Aegon looking as the lords spoke to Dany. There was no distrust or wariness from them as they did so. It was as if in accepting him they'd accepted her and Aegon grew a little angrier that they'd not brought up a wedding sooner. Would the rest of the North have accepted her the same way if they were to be wed? Given what Lyanna Mormont said, what offer she'd brought them it seemed they would. A fool, an honorable fool he'd been and it had cost him everything.

Closing his eyes he tried to block the images but they came anyway, the look in her eyes as he stabbed her in the heart. The look of hurt, betrayal, confusion, and sadness was one he'd sworn never to see on her face again. Opening his eyes he saw her laughing as Big Bucket Wull and the Middle Liddle spoke, the large men seeming captivated by the tiny woman that sat beside them.

"The North Remembers." he whispered softly, at least here in the mountains that seemed to be true.

They said their goodbyes the next morning, the Mountain Clans soon readying to leave and he and Dany heading to the dragons. As they stood in front of Rhaegal and Drogon he walked to her, seeing the smile on her face once more.

"These people, they, this is what I wished for Aegon, for them to want me here. Why them and not the others?" she asked.

"These men are more honest, more true, proper Northmen who've not forgotten." he said and she nodded, Aegon leaned forward to kiss her.

"Are you sure about this?" she asked.

"Aye, we need to see it, see them. We'll be careful Dany but I have a feeling we won't need to be." he said.

"Why?"

"I just do Dany, I think it's something this flight may prove."

"We leave if we need to?" she asked and he nodded.

"Aye, we leave if we need to." he said as he kissed her once more and watched her climb up on Drogon's back.

Aegon turned and climbed onto Rhaegal's leaning down to speak softly to the dragon and then they were in the air flying north towards the Wall.

0