Chapter seven
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Baltha

I knocked on Rowund's thick study door, waiting for the scratching sound to pause before pushing it open. It doesn't pay to surprise a morroia, especially not their own home. He was poised with his writing wand to paper, looking at the door with a curious frown. "Are you back?"

I rolled my eyes. "I haven't left yet. I came to let you know that I'm leaving now."

"Try to be back before nightfall, even if you do not think you have enough, get home.

"Alright," I said, but he had already gone back to scratching out his note. My existence probably forgotten, but we're used to that. Rowund always had a lot on his mind. I hear the silent tap of footsteps that could only be Zenon in the passage and step out to meet him. 

"Ready?" He said, throwing a pouch at me that I caught on pure reflex. 

"Was just about to leave," I said checking the pouch and found two infused crystals. "I'm not sure I would need this, it's just information gathering. I'll meet Theo, then come back home."

"Take it all the same. You never know."

I rolled my eyes, but pulled out the lion head locket I always have under my shirt, given to me by my mother when I turned 5 as a symbol of Zambini's protection. I think the gods are too busy for us these days, or they would have intervened as our world has been slowly descending into what I imagine Yar to be like, but its all I have left of her, so I've kept it. I traced the lion head to activate the storage spell Zenon built in for me. He watched me carry out the process like he wanted to be sure I did it just right. "Zee, I'm fine."

His eyes narrowed on the nickname, but he doesn't comment on it. "I saw you with the girl, should I be worried you won't keep your focus on this mission?" 

I rolled my eyes. "Say her name," I said with a taunting smile. 

"What does that have to do with anything?" He asked with a glare that doesn't work on me. I've known him for too long and too well to believe he would seriously hurt me even if he could. 

"Because, if you have to avoid even calling her name, maybe I'm the one that should be worried if you'll lose focus," I said.

"My mission has not changed," he said through gritted teeth.

I shrugged. "Neither have mine. I know you always worry, but don't try to control me."

He took a step back like I had hit him, shaking his head. "People who lose focus end up dead. All it takes, is a moment of distraction."

I held back a sigh. Zenon carries too many ghosts with him for his own good. "You're over thinking this. She pulls my protective instincts, that's all," I said. Relief flashed in his eyes before he blinked it away, and I would have missed it if I didn't know him so well. Interesting. I guess he's not as unaffected by her as he's projecting. I filed that information away for later. "I'll see you later tonight, I've been commanded to come right back," I said. He nodded then continued towards his room.

I stopped to take deep breaths of the air outside before walking towards the wards. I stopped for a moment for it to scan me before granting me passage and I took off at a light jog, first on two feet, then I let my spirit fly free and I began running on four. Shifted is when I felt most free, like releasing a tether within myself and finally embracing all that I am.

I circumvent the small village of Astralyn that we live at the outskirts of heading north, towards Verdentia. My appointment with Theo is set for noon, I glance up and notice that the sun is almost overhead and lengthen my stride, pushing for maximum speed. The feel of the wind running through my furs and my paws digging into the loose earth are the best feelings in the world. Running just to run reminded me of my freedom, and what I would do to keep it. The sweet smell of honey broke my stride for a moment, reminding me that I had skipped meal earlier, but I shook it off and lengthened my stride once more. I might run more on instincts when shifted, but I'm no mindless animal. 

I veered left towards the gurgling sound of a brook nearby. I assuaged my thirst and splashed my overheated hide, stopping for a moment to shake off the kink in my muscles before taking off again. My pounding heart almost in rhythm with the pound of my paws into the ground. I might be fast, but I wasn't built for endurance.

The expansive sprawl of untamed wilderness felt like home, and I huffed as I slowly left it behind as I approached the hill bordering Verdentia. 

I stopped to catch my breath again, taking in the city. Though we are far from mindless beast, most Zambinians prefer houses that accounts for the other half of their soul. The architecture melding seamlessly with the organic and wild element of nature, embracing the contours of the terrain rather than over powering it. From burrows built into gently sloping hillside to elongated elegant houses, it was easy to guess what type of shifter lived where. I've been to Verdentia a few times, but I can still admit that the valley city is breathtaking. 

I negotiated what path to take before setting off again, from here on out I would have to focus and pick my paths carefully to avoid running into enforcers. I took side roads avoiding busy streets, heading towards the alley behind the trading center where Theo and I had agreed to meet. I circled the alley, avoiding the entrance as I sniffed for new scents that shouldn't be there. 

Theo's scent was clear, with a few faded enough to not have been from today. I was about entering the alley when Zenon's words came to mind again. I paused and took deeper breath, but still scented nothing out of place. I stepped in and I saw Theo standing off to the side in his trusty black shirt and loose pants. "You late," he said, his high pitch grating me wrong today. I was about changing back to apologize, when a scuffing sound from the wrong direction froze me. 

Seeing that I had heard them, they didn't bother hiding anymore. I moved sideways to assess the new threat while still keeping Theo in my line of vision. He didn't feel like much of an ally anymore. I threw him a baleful glare and he raised his hand, palm out like I'm supposed to believe he means me no harm. "They catch me. I don't bring you, I go. I don't want go back," he said in his broken patches of common. 

I growled, paying more attention to the three enforcers trying to circle me and corral me enough to block my exit. I held back another growl knowing it would do no good. Hyenas have always been cowards, I bet they didn't have to press him for him to hand over my identity. It rankled that he betrayed me so easily, but I should have remembered, staying in the same group home for a short while as children didn't make us friends. We both survived the street, and I guess I had lived woth Rowund for so long I forgot that, on the street, you always save yourself first no matter what you have to do.

I turned to face the three enforcers, sniffing to decipher what species they were. Two big cats and a jackal. Not good. I can't outrun them.

I eyed the three three enforcers, a plan coming together in my mind as I shuffled towards the exit again. The jackal twirled a knife while the two cats drew their sword. They weren't wielding magic, good. I won't be able to outrun them, but maybe I don't have to. I took one last step back just before the jackal attacked. I blocked the knife hand with my left limb then slammed the right into his chest in the direction of the other two.

He took down one while the other ran at me, sword swinging. The sword whistled past my ear, lightly slicing into my shoulder just before I ran out of the alley. I swallowed a grunt of pain and took off as fast as I could toward a more lonely street. The pounding of feet behind me grew nearer as I pushed my gait, frantically searching for a turn out of their immediate sight. I saw a break a few yards in front, a space between buildings closer to the tree lines. I prayed to Zambini that it wouldn't be a dead end, then veered towards it, initiating the change to two feet as soon as I turned. 

I haphazardly traced the lion head talisman, retrieving the pouch Zenon had given me just that morning. I took out the black crystal, and threw the pouch back into the compartment. Their step was just behind me now, but the next turn was right in front of me. The displaced wind near my shoulder told me someone was about to grab me. Gritting my teeth, I put on a burst of speed, turning just as the hand whisked past. I gripped the crystal, then came to an immediate pause, thinking about what I wanted. I stood to the side, my heart pounding, a burn on my shoulder reminding me I was injured, as the two cats ran past, one after another, continuing down the narrow road. 

I stayed as still as possible, trying to take shallow breaths, knowing that, though people may not see me, any unnecessary noise would still be heard and alert anyone of a possible concealment spell. I waited to if the jackal was coming, but after a few moments, I took small measured steps towards the way we just came, knowing the other two would circle back soon once they don't see me at the other end.

 I glanced down to ensure I wasn't leaving blood drops. I made my way towards the tree line, stopping every time some one came my way. I maintained the small measured steps even while my heart pounded and sweat soaked my back at the thought of the enforcers coming back and finding me here. I could take on one and maybe two if I'm lucky, but definitely not three. I made it to the tree line just before the pounding steps of the enforcers circled back. 

I moved to the other side of the tree deeper into the forest. I took even more shallow breaths, grateful for the many rich scents of the forest which will help the concealment spell conceal my scent.

"I thought you said he could only have come this way," cat one said to cat two. 

Cat two glanced from side to side with a perplexed frown. "Yes. He should definitely have come this way. Either I miscalculated or..." they turned to each other.

"Concealment spell," they chorused.

"Should we wait, maybe the power is about to run out," cat one said.

Cat two shook his head. "If we can't even scent him, then it was made by someone powerful. I doubt the power is running out any time soon. We should head back." They turned leisurely walking away.

"How can he afford it though? We don't even get one of those," cat one said, a whine in his tone. "Do you think councilor Ramaldi will increase our budget if we ask for the hundredth time now?" He added, his voice growing distant.

"We should go pick up Grunty," 

"I'm definitely not carrying him," cat one replied just as they turned a corner and their voice seized to reach me.

I waited behind that tree, my pounding heart not quite believing that the danger had passed yet. Like maybe if I moved, I would discover they had just been toying with me. It took a while for my muscles to unclench and the throbbing in my shoulders became more pronounced. I checked the would to see that it was already healing, my shirt around the area stiff with dried blood. I waited a while more before moving farther to another part of the forest. Darkness was already encroaching. I looked around for a tree to pass the night. I don't know how much they know about me and for how long they watched me before that alley, but I dared not make the trip back that night incase they were still lying in wait. 

I picked a tree that looked wide enough and pulled myself up to a sturdy looking branch. Looks like I'll be spending the night in Verdentia after all, at first light, I'll make my way back. I sent up another silent prayer for protection up to Zambini. Twice in one day, when I couldn't even remember the last time I bothered with the gods. Living on the street, it was hard to picture any higher being caring, not with several days stomach curling hunger, or a group of children beating you simply because they could. I gripped the medallion and prayed anyway. I had come too close to losing my freedom today, and for my freedom, I was willing to do anything, including talking to a god I'm not sure is listening. 

0