The Forest Tyrant
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Brother Wu, are you not seeing this?” Lin Mo asked again.

“See what?”

“An old ghost,” Lin Mo pointed at the figure in front.

“Did the owner come for its ring?” Wu Di joked.

“I’m being serious, Brother Wu.”

“Only you can see me,” the old ghost floated around Wu Di. It seems Wu Di really didn’t see the old ghost. “And don’t call me an old ghost, you brat.”

“Have some respect for your elders. I am old enough to be your ancestor’s ancestor.”

“See, that’s why you’re an old ghost,” remarked Lin Mo.

It was just a wisp of soul left behind by the former.

Lin Mo saw Wu Di give him a side eye as if he were some mentally challenged person talking to himself.

“Don’t look at me with those eyes,” Lin Mo showed a wry look. “I’m really talking to a ghost.”

Wu Di looked away.

The old ghost laughed loudly, of course, only Lin Mo heard him. “This brat thinks you’ve become a retard.”

Lin Mo appeared annoyed with the old ghost’s remark.

“That look the brat gave was funny,” the old ghost continued to laugh. “You can talk to me through telepathy.”

“How does that work?” thought Lin Mo.

“See, you’re doing it,” replied the old ghost.

Lin Mo quickly caught on, relieved that he wouldn't be seen talking to himself in public.

Seeing the two still lingering in the cave, the old ghost asked, "Why are you two still here?"

"We have no choice," sighed Lin Mo. "We may end up being buried here along with you."

“What are you saying?” the old ghost looked bewildered.

Lin Mo pointed towards the cave exit.

The old ghost, confused, floated away to check.

A colossal figure guarded the exit. When the old ghost spotted the giant waiting outside, he felt as if his soul almost departed this realm.

The old ghost hurried back into the cave. "What did you two do to anger it?"

“We took some of its herbs,” replied Lin Mo avoiding the old ghost’s gaze.

“You mean stole,”

Lin Mo coughed.

Changing the subject, he asked. “What is that giant beast outside?”

“These species of beasts are known as forest tyrants,” the old ghost explained. “These giants are also known for their gentle behavior. They won’t attack or go after anyone unless provoked. You’re still alive because the one outside is still young.”

“What do you mean young?! It’s already as big as a small hill.”

 

“What do you know, brat? If you had met an adult one, this little peak would’ve been toppled under its feet.”

The two had never encountered this species of beast before, nor had they read about it.

“Have you encountered one before?” asked Lin Mo.

“Ahem* Of course not. I've only heard about it from others,” replied the old ghost, clearing his throat awkwardly.

“How strong is it?”

“It’s a king-ranked beast, of course, it’s strong.”

!!!

Lin Mo then explained all the information to Wu Di. Despite appearing skeptical, Wu Di listened attentively.

Realizing that the giant outside was a king-ranked beast, their chances of fighting their way out of this danger were minuscule. Now, they could only wait for sect reinforcements to arrive.

“Brat, what are you two doing in the fourth layer?” Suddenly asked the old ghost.

“Fourth layer?”

“Is this not the fourth layer in the eternal forest?”

“This is the second layer,” answered Lin Mo.

“What? How could it be?” the old ghost looked concerned.

“Is there something wrong?” Lin Mo appeared puzzled.

“These species of giant belong to the fourth layer, it shouldn’t be appearing in the second layer,” the old ghost explained.

“Did something happen to the barrier?” the old ghost floated in contemplation.

Lin Mo didn’t grasp the implication behind the old ghost’s words, but from the expression on the old ghost’s face, he deduced that it was something of concern.

"You seem to know a lot about the forest. You must have been a big figure in your life,"

The old ghost appeared to reminisce. “…I was nobody then. Now I’m just a restless soul.”

Seeing a melancholy expression on the old ghost's face, Lin Mo refrained from asking any further questions.

Looking at the ring on his finger, he retrieved a scripture from the space.

 

[Jade Body Art]

 

Lin Mo began flipping through the pages.

“Brother Wu, isn’t this similar to Sister Lina’s dance?”

He showed the scripture to Wu Di.

Wu Di nodded, surprised.

In the scripture, there were sets of movements illustrated, which, performed at once, would appear like a dance.

The two had seen Sister Lina practice these movements to a flow state as if these movements became natural to her.

Lin Mo seemed intrigued and wanted to try those movements.

He started mimicking the movements described in the scripture, raising his arms, spinning around, waving, and dashing about. It all appeared rather comical.

“Don't even bother practicing this, brat,” the old ghost suddenly spoke. “I wasted my whole life trying to learn this skill.”

Lin Mo realized that learning this technique was far more difficult than he had anticipated. With each movement, his body seemed to momentarily freeze. He couldn't achieve the natural flow that Sister Lina displayed.

While he was practicing the movements, Lin Mo heard a sound of splashing, and so did Wu Di and the old ghost. They all turned towards the cave entrance ahead.

“Water?” Wu Di peeked through the narrow path and his eyes widened. And he quickly leaned on the wall.

From the narrow path, a large amount of water flowed inside the cave. It slowly rose to their knees.

The cave was narrow and small. The tyrant wanted to flood it entirely.

“Damn, how much water can that giant thing carry? It’s never-ending,” cursed Lin Mo.

“Enough to flood this cave. It wants to lure you two out by flooding this cave,” the old ghost laughed aloud. “Isn’t this similar to humans flooding a mouse hole?”

“Does it have any weakness?” Lin Mo hurriedly asked.

“Why are you asking? Do you want to fight that thing with your meager strength?”

“Just tell me.”

“It doesn’t have one, except its mobility,”

“How about its balls?”

 

“Balls?” the old ghost looked puzzled.

“The two precious jewels. Can a king-ranked beast survive without their jewels intact?” Lin Mo asked again.

“Huh! What are you talking about? That’s a female giant.”

“For real?” He turned to Wu Di. “Brother Wu, this giant is a female. It doesn’t have jewels on it.”

The only chance to survive, Lin Mo thought, was no longer there.

“Why did you assume I would go stabbing its balls?” Wu Di looked at him weirdly.

“Well…”

The water blasting inside momentarily stopped giving them a breather.

“Do we have to run again?”

“Better die fighting than under rubble.” Wu Di stepped out, unnoticed.

Lin Mo followed behind.

Even if they persisted inside, the cave would likely collapse after another few blows of water. They finally dared to step out.

Of course, the first thing to greet them outside was the giant. The giant looked straight at Lin Mo and him alone. It seems even the king-ranked beast couldn’t detect Wu Di.

“Elder giant, can’t you let us juniors go this once?” Lin Mo smiled wryly. Of course, Lin Mo understood the giant couldn’t speak nor understand the human tongue.

The giant raised its trunk, emitting a deafening triumphant roar. Below, Lin Mo's entire body vibrated from the sheer force of the sound.

“I guess he doesn’t want to let it slide.” Said Lin Mo and dashed to a side entering the forest.

In a few dashes, Lin Mo already went far away from the cave area. However, that giant was still behind him chasing.

Even those tall trees didn’t halt its movement for a moment, it crushed everything that came in its way.

 

“What a tyrant.” Lin Mo commented.

He was not far from getting caught. Then all of a sudden the tyrant halted its steps.

“Did it finally give up?” Lin Mo glanced back while creating more distance.

Its mouth was wide open and a loud snorting sound rang around the forest.

All of a sudden, Lin Mo’s body began to lift upwards. And he felt a strong suction on his back.

In haste, he grabbed onto a tree. But it didn’t take long before that tree was uprooted from the ground.

“Are you kidding me?” Lin Mo remembered the last time his body was not in his control. This was similar to how that elder from the sun sword sect tried to stop him.

Holding the tree, Lin Mo flew towards the giant.

“Can we fight this giant? There’s no way it would feel a thing.” Murmured Lin Mo. “I guess, I’ve to use that thing.”

“That thing?” the old ghost looked bewildered.

Lin Mo retrieved a palm-sized wooden sword from his pouch. As he floated towards the giant with its suction, he pointed the wooden sword at the giant.

“How do I activate it? Old ghost, do you know anything?”

“…”

“…”

“What’s that? A protective charm?”

“I don’t know. Master told me it would help me when I’m in danger.”

“Isn’t it just a regular wooden charm?” The old ghost was no help.

His master had never told t him how to use this wooden sword. The only thing he could do was try and stab the giant with the tiny sword, smaller than a kitchen knife.

He was nearing the giant, one hand clinging to the tree, while the other hand pointing the small sword towards the giant.

Just when he was near its trunk’s grasp, he stepped on the tree and jumped above with all his might.

 

He barely escaped from turning into a giant’s snack.

Lin Mo landed on the head of the giant and with the wooden sword he stabbed behind the head of the giant.

“Ehe?” The wooden sword stopped on the surface. It couldn’t even pierce a layer of skin.

Lin Mo poked the wooden sword at the giant’s head a few more times.

Nothing miraculous occurred. The giant still stood alive and fine.

Lin Mo was lamenting his situation when a swing from the giant’s long trunk headed his way.

He swiftly dodged back and jumped down.

For a while, Lin Mo seemed to have vanished, but how could he evade the senses of a king-ranked beast?

Before long, he was discovered.

Lin Mo was clinging to the tail of the giant. However, soon after, the tail moved, and he crashed to the ground like a meteor.

The impact from his body made a large crater, dust and rubble scattered everywhere.

Coughing, he stood from the rubble. “I’m now grateful for all those hellish training master gave me.”

Although there were a few bruises and cuts on his body, there were no serious damages.

As Lin Mo rose from the rubble, the giant wasted no time in making its move. Without any tricks, it lunged forward, aiming to slam its massive body into Lin Mo.

Due to the giant’s sheer size, Lin Mo found it impossible to dodge the attack. Instead, he focused on minimizing the damage.

Upon impact, the force sent Lin Mo tumbling across the ground, unable to resist the overwhelming strength of the giant.

The giant toyed with him like an indestructible plaything it had just discovered. Rather than crushing him outright, it continued to bat Lin Mo around like a ball.

This continued for a while.

On the other hand, Lin Mo was coughing blood again and again. Although there was no serious harm to his body. It was still a numbing sensation each time he stood from the ground.

Every time the giant charged towards him, he hurled himself backward with full force to reduce the damage from direct contact.

A while later, the giant seemed bored playing and wanted to finish this.

It raised its one foot, akin to a small hill, ready to stomp on Lin Mo’s body. However, it got momentarily distracted by a small figure on his right.

Wu Di had appeared before the giant’s head and disappeared again.

In a blink, he reappeared before the giant’s eye.

With a swift stab followed by slashing motions, Wu Di destroyed the giant's right eye. Blood and white matter spewed out from the ruined eye.

GURRRRRR!

 

1