Uxoricide (II)
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Entering the bleak courtroom, I suppressed a displeased groan. “Hey, shortie, what’s this experiment you wanna do anyways? Some truth serum? Some freaky seance? I need to know what I'm doing at least.” I didn’t want to go through some crazy psycho ritual that would sacrifice my blood or some crazy crap like that. Instinctually, I dodged a punch heading for me. It seemed like she was the violent type. “Geez, calm down. You’re acting like I did something wrong.” I did do something wrong but I won't give her that satisfaction. I was already labeled as a criminal so I deserved to get my chance to be petty.

Her soft features formed into a pout. Cute. If my type wasn't a tall woman, then she’d definitely be the  number one choice. “First of all, Mr. Neuer, my name is Edith. I’m an Arch-Witch Lawyer in training. If you want to win this case, then you need to trust me.” Edith, huh? A cute name for a cute girl.

Upon our arrival, many people glared at me furiously. To these people I was already guilty. There was no chance of me being framed because who would dare to blame the betrothed of a foreign royal adventurer?

Taking a seat in the stand for the defense, I watched as Edith walked up to the judges' stand. They began whispering to each other. Things hadn’t changed at all, huh? I was still in the dark. I don’t know who killed my party nor did I have the knowledge that Rei was a princess. Rei…

Rei Minamoto was apparently the daughter of the royal family of Hino. That wench hadn’t even told me(she kept that secret to her grave); I had only found out through the authorities telling me when they were throwing out accusations. Rei had always been hiding things from me now that I think about it. She never told me where she was born, who her parents were, or anything about her past. She merely agreed to enter a relationship with me and everything just seemed to click into place for us… or well, at least for me.

Sometimes I wondered if I would lose feelings towards Rei if she had told me about her true identity. I wondered if I could deal with the whole love stuff and everything that was to come with it if Rei wasn't who I thought she was. Then again…, I chuckled bitterly as I mused. I never questioned her that much. I was too lovestruck to even realize I was the only one trying.

 

Ignoring my thoughts for now, I zeroed in on Edith’s small frame. Who was this girl? She appeared out of nowhere and immediately demanded that I put all my faith in her. I had no other choice but to do that, after all, it was this or death.

 

I guess it’s all the cards on the table for this one. Hopefully I can actually defend myself and have a judge with common sense. Looking down at my lap in boredom, I wondered if this judge would spout the same crap the previous three did. Due to the unanimous vote by the jury, with a lack of evidence, we can only move forward with the death penalty. I repeated their words verbatim in my head. “What a load of bullshit…” I muttered, voicing my thoughts out aloud. 

 

Footsteps neared my still form, yet I didn’t bother to look up. I knew the pitter patter of those light footsteps, even if it were only from hearing them once.  “Mr. Neuer, I’d appreciate it if you didn’t have such a depressing mood.” Edith scolded me like a child. “You need to have some faith in me at least!” While I really appreciated her belief in proving my innocence, this young woman had no idea that even the best of the best had received this case and failed. She was fighting a losing battle.

 

I wanted her to give up - this was hopeless. However...Clenching my hands, I couldn't help but give my new lawyer a determined look. “If you’re so confident, I can’t help but have faith in you.” I would have to believe in her. I would believe in this young woman who had so much faith in my innocence.

 

— — — — —

 

Within the stands of the jury, I could see many familiar faces. Many were there from my previous three trials. The most prominent member with the largest ability to sway the decisions of others was a woman with powder blue hair. She was a mature individual with a figure that most women in their mid-fifties would die for. She only had this figure at her age due to being a long-time adventurer who was still active. Her presence demanded respect with her purple eyes. 

Martha Shaula, my biggest opposition. She didn’t care whether I repeatedly declared my innocence. In her eyes, I had always been a lifeless degenerate.

 

This trial is going to be very difficult. I could only hope and pray that Edith had some concrete plan.

 

All eyes turned to the judge, Yvette Kline. Due to the repetitive nature of my trial, she was required as a High-Judge to proceed with this case.

 

“Normally, we would proceed with this case with a standard format. That has changed due to our guild’s newest Witch-Lawyer, Edith Kaiser, who has created a new brand of magic that was allowed to be tested in the field.” For the first time, Yvette had my attention. Magic that would make court proceedings easier? My musing was interrupted by Yvette continuing her explanation: “Defendant’s will now have their verdicts given using the branches of Animus, Lux, and Cor magic. This new magic allows the court to witness the events of each crime covered as the defendant relives the events.” Huh? Wait, what? “The defendant will start out ten days before the event causing their incarceration, slowly leading up to the main event.” While this would prove my innocence, I still had concerns. How invasive was this? Did that mean that they would hear everything, including my thoughts?

 

I didn’t even get time to consider the advantages and downsides of this as Edith approached me. “We’ll see you in ten days, Edmund.” She approached me with an eerie smile. A white glow came from her hands. Both her palms aimed towards my face, the glow began to envelope me, the courtroom disappearing and my clothes changing. All the equilibrium I had was suddenly gone. Falling to my knees, my hands instinctively went in front of me to catch myself. “Oh, fuck!” I swear to god, Edith you better hope I get locked up! When I catch that short little shit. “Damn…”

 

“Edmund, are you okay?!”

 

All my anger disappeared instantaneously. That voice… Quickly rising to my feet, I turned to face the one inquiring about my health. “Rei, Imasu, Ilphine…” They were all here. I couldn’t speak. I couldn’t think. The only thing in my mind’s eye now was their bloody forms. Slumped on the ground, on the wall, blood everywhere. I didn’t know what to do. Those words echoed through my head as I stared into her eyes. ‘I… love you.’ Her voice echoed in my head. I wasn’t prepared for this…

 

Ilphine approached me, concern etched onto her face.”What’s wrong? Why’re you crying?!” Ah… no wonder she was so concerned. What was I supposed to do now? Were they watching me as I suffered? How was I supposed to prove my innocence this way? How?…

 

“Do we need to cancel today’s raid?” Looking into her eyes, all I could see was love and care. I truly hadn’t realized what I had until it was gone. Wiping away the tears, I forced myself to smile as best as I could. I needed to be strong; weakness would not help me right now. This is… I stared at the black blade in Imasu’s hand. Almost two weeks before that day.

 

Ignoring that for now I turned back to Ilphine. “Sorry about that, Ilphy.” Placing a hand on her shoulder, I gave her my best reassuring smile. “I think I just ate something bad today.” While that did nothing to placate her, it did make her drop the subject. Grasping her hand, I quickly rushed towards the waiting forms of Rei and Imasu, Ilphine keeping pace as I pulled her with me. Looking back at her, I gave her a genuine smile. One I hadn’t donned since I watched them all die. “Let’s go!” 

 

— — — — —

 

Gazing at the projection made of magi, I covered up my smirk by adopting a pose of contemplation. Let us begin, Edmund. While the court viewed his memories, Edmund would go through many trials. My spell, while beneficial to the lawyer, was hell for the defendant as they would stay within an inner world created to make them face their greatest regrets and desires. ‘Let’s see if you make or break.’ I may have tweaked his inner world a bit, after all, I need him to truly keep that day on his mind for the projection to be stable.

 

I would lie if I apologized for the suffering you go through… I held back a remorseless chuckle. Suffer, so that you may… Nevermind. I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.

0