Start (III)
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As soon as I woke up, I sat up, quickly noting that the room I was in now was much larger. Red liquid poured out my mouth, everytime I could, I took in as much air as possible. That was blood! I knew that taste anywhere, the metallic, slightly salty taste. Right when I thought I was done, I coughed up another round of blood. I don’t even know if this is my blood anymore. I sat there for a few moments, letting it all out. After a while, I was certain that all the blood was out of my lungs and throat. Need to take in my surroundings.

 

In the ceiling there was a hole, most likely where I fell from considering the only other opening in this place was the floor which was a circular sewer grate in the center of the room. The only solid flooring was near the walls. “Who builds a chamber with nothing in it?” Rising to my feet, I closed in on the nearest wall. Pulling my fist back, I poured as much of my power into it as possible and punched it. Damn, it didn’t even budge. 

 

As I heard the sound of hissing behind me, I could only regret that I didn’t even get to try any other options of escape. Turning around, I could only gape as a creature that seemed to be a mix of a donkey, anteater, and an armadillo busted through the grates. “And you’re supposed to be?!” The only reply I received was a roar filled with murderous intent. I quickly dodged to the left as its tail whipped in my direction. I don’t have a weapon on me. I don’t have any spells for something this big. 

 

Sixty meters in length. Thirty in height. I can try to tire it out but that would only do so much

 

I quickly ducked as its tail swept wheremy upper body had been previously. I can’t think of anything good. All I wanted to know was whether these strange events would end anytime soon. I continued to evade any attacks it sent, watching as its nine heads all followed my movements. That gives it more attack power. However, most multi-headed enemies follow the same principle as regular monsters. I remembered from a page in the rookie guide, evolution forced creatures like this to create a more sustainable form of cognitive control. 

 

Finding it would be next to impossible though. I barely come to the top of its* hoof if you put me directly next to it. I could try to make it crash around, cave in the place. I considered attempting one of the easiest options.It would all end in seconds if I used this creature's size against it. 

 

I had just gotten into a running stance, preparing to go with the solid strategy. Wait. I was doing it again. Taking the easy way out, making a mockery of the title I earned when I had completed my first High-Rate quest. That;s right… Why am I stuck in the mindset of least resistance? I thought back to the hard work I had put in. All the effort to grow into a strong man. It all disappeared when I met her. I get it now. It all ended when I met her. Rei made me weak. Rei was never the best thing to happen to me. I exited the stance and stared the creature down.

 

I don’t know why, but a part of me knew that I could outpace this creature. That’s it, I’m calling you the Chimera. It’s much easier. The Chimera’s many heads began to search the room. I had moved so fast that it couldn't keep track of me. If it had been spatially aware, it would have known I was standing on top of it. Now let's see. What weak points do you have?

 

Embedded in the center of its back, was a red orb with a crystal like look. Bingo! Right as I was going to approach the orb, I was smacked aside by something rock hard. My body ached as I crashed into the wall before plummeting to the ground. Fuck! Give me a break, man.

 

As I descended, I tried to ignore the strange stinging sensation in my gut. It felt familiar. This pain reminded me of something but I can’t remember what. What the hell. It hurts. Hurts. Hurts. Hurts. “It hurts so much!” Catching myself before I could fall by flipping upside down and landing in a handstand, I flipped out of my handstand into the air, avoiding an attack from the Chimera’s tongue. “It hurts so much…” Once I touched the ground again, I immediately rushed the gargantuan beast, no thoughts, no plan in my head. Just confusion and chaos. 

 

All my life. I dodged another attack. I’ve only ever worried about two things. I slid on the ground as the huge tail whipped through the air. Strength and love. I had now gotten underneath the Chimera. The pain in my stomach had spread throughout my body, yet I kept going, running until I was directly behind the wild creature. Crouching, I braced to jump as high as possible, to reach a height I could never before. I’m tired of both. Like a spring, I released the pressure I had built up and sailed upward towards the ceiling. 

 

It felt like hours as I came to a stop midair. I observed the entirety of the back, watching as a red dot moved around. So, you’re trying to save yourself, how dumb. Gravity came into action, bringing me downward, allowing me to freefall towards the creature's back. Weapon. I need a weapon. Cuts appeared on my arms, my blood pouring out into my hand—I would question it later, of course—forming, molding into a falcata. How convenient. My eyes followed the path of the orb, waiting for the right moment. There! 

 

The crimson orb finally came to a halt as the Chimera noticed my presence. Not giving me time to breathe, one of the heads whipped at me with its long tongue. As if! I don’t know how, but I managed to dodge midair. Pinpointing the exact spot of the orb, the core, I took a javelin throwing stance as my descent sped up. “Once I get out of here… I’m taking a damn nap!” Pouring all my strength into the throw, I could only watch in delight as the falcata effortlessly pierced the core. My best guess would be that the blade went all the way through, as the core shattered into pieces and the body of the Chimera stilled before falling over. 

 

Landing on one of the hind legs, I struggled to steady myself. I didn’t feel that tired but my muscles all over ached, the pain I had been feeling earlier was gone as well. I still don’t know how to get out of here. I had come in from above but I didn’t know how far up it went. I would have escaped the moment I saw the Chimera come from the grate if there– That’s right! I was quite lucky after all. A few meters away there was a large hole. “Well, what do you know? Life has a way.” I rushed towards the opening, hopping off the dead body sloppily and almost falling on my behind. 

 

Stopping at the edge of the broken area, I tried to see how far the drop would be.That darkness reached so far that I could only fear something staring back at me in the abyss. It was so far down that there wasn’t even a speck of light. Can’t achieve anything If I don’t live a little dangerously, I guess. Throwing caution to the wind, I dived into the abyss.

0