Trail
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first few miles had been easy for me. I managed to ignore the blood loss and the recurring pain that came with every step. But how the hell am I supposed to get past all of this. The city I had been pushing towards was only a few miles away. I could even see the walls. The only thing in my way was what seemed to be groups of monsters fighting and wandering through this wasteland. Some of these creatures were famous for being denizens of hell while others looked new to me. “Is that a snake woman?” I questioned a little too loudly.

 

There were creatures of all kinds but the most dangerous were the black dogs that were twice my size. Every canine creature turned towards my direction, grabbing the attention of the other monsters. There were at least ten groups of monsters, fifty in total, with bloodlust coming off of them. “I’d hazard this means you won’t let me pass?” I couldn’t even laugh as the pain was spread all throughout his body.

 

Right as I blinked, one of the black dogs lunged at me, causing me to fall on my back. I used my left foot to separate it from my body but no matter how much I tried it kept moving it and getting it out of the way. Another black dog rushed up to my downed form and began to gnaw on my right arm, ripping it off and devouring it.

 

Damnit. 

 

The dog I had been previously holding back grew tired of my leg and chomped on it. I watched it swallow before going for my other leg. Why? The snake woman, or lamia as I remembered from books, simply watched as I was devoured. She returned back to the dead body that every monster had been fighting over before I arrived. What did I do to deserve this?

 

I was now covered in blood and animal saliva as the monsters continued their feast. My thoughts which had been confident mere minutes prior, were now filled with despair. Damn you…

 

My thoughts wandered to the cause of all of this. A simple mystery murder, meeting Edith, meeting Rei and the others again. It’s not my fault! The thoughts I had been avoiding for so long—the very thoughts I kept locked away—they were now coming to the surface. My hatred. Was I just something easily disposable?! My thoughts raced around, wondering how my dead friends could so easily backstab me. You bastards! I would have given up the world for you… I thought back to the day I bought matching jewelry for us all, in excitement at meeting fellow rookie adventurers who wanted to become the best of the best. 

 

I was the only one who cared, huh?!

 

The pain had spread throughout my body once again. I didn’t care anymore, this pain was nothing compared to the turmoil I had been trying to bury. Disregarding any consequences that could come from it, I let out a wail. It lasted for at least two minutes before I lost my voice, my screams now silent. Who did I think I was? My blood began to ripple. Some righteous hero from a story? I don’t even know what I’m really fighting for. The splotches that surrounded my still form, the blood on the teeth of the monsters, the blood in the air: It all stopped. Who was I kidding? Tired of both? Live dangerously? My teeth gnashed together as my only remaining limb, my left arm, balled into a fist.

 

“You damn liar!” I bellowed out with my eyes clenched shut. Directing my rage at the crimson skies, to myself, and to people who weren’t here.

 

Opening my eyes, I noticed the lack of monsters surrounding me. They were all gone, only the lamia remaining a few feet away from me. My limbs had returned, all of them intact. If not for the bite marks on my clothes or the blood on my body, I wouldn’t even believe I had been dismembered earlier. What? Where did they all go? Gritting my teeth, I sat up whilst ignoring the pain. My surroundings were no different, and that lamia was in the same place. Looking closer, I could see a look of fear on her face. 

 

Without a second thought, she slithered away, disappearing into the distance. Standing up was difficult but I somehow managed to. Nothing here makes sense… I let my body go into autopilot, limping towards the city in the distance.

 

Time passes by faster, I’ve seen the moon three times in what should be one day. I had my mind invaded by a Disgraced Angel. Creatures that only appear in hell are here… that would mean I’m in hell. I thought back to what happened to the canine creatures. Helldogs. The descendants of Cerberus. They only appear in hell. Then there was what happened to the Helldogs earlier. The same feeling I felt when fighting the Chimera had resurfaced. The pain had spread all throughout my body but I could remember feeling the pain spread to my surroundings, in the dogs, and in the air. Was it something with my blood? Was that what scared the lamia?

 

Before I could delve deeper into the topic while trying to recall what happened, I heard a click from beneath me. “What-” I couldn’t even get my full question out before a large explosion erupted from the ground below me. I was sent flying into the air before landing on the ground, pain aching all throughout me. Fuck! My back! Where I once stood, dozens of explosions went off. I tried sitting up but the pain was becoming unbearable. Grit your teeth and bear it! Sitting up, I watched in morbid fascination as each explosion sent more debris flying, sometimes causing another explosion to happen. But as soon as the area where the explosion was destroyed, it would repair itself. One repaired area had debris land on it, causing another explosion to occur. 

 

Oh, sure! Thanks for the heads up! You motherfu- I stopped myself. I was losing focus of the current issue, which was to get out of this place. If there are no more delays, then I’ll finally figure out how to- My thoughts were interrupted again by the flapping of wings. All around me, in every direction, were scaled humanoid creatures. Most likely attracted by the sounds the chain of explosions created. “Demons…” One of the demons behind me blitzed towards me, and right as I went to attack, it grabbed under my armpits and began to carry me. 

 

We were now going away from the city and flying at high speeds elsewhere. “Hey, what the hell are you doing?! Let me go!” I tried kicking and struggling but nothing worked. The demon with the darkest scales turned towards me, its red eyes boring into my soul.

 

Trial, this way. City of damned, no need to go.” 

 

Trial? The only trial I knew of was the one happening for my current charges. Were they saying that this related to my trial? “Hey. Speak clearer. What the hell do you mean?!” I received no response as the demon turned away from me and focused back on its flight path. Edith, what hell is going on?!

0