Prison (II)
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sound of children crying woke me. Blinking and rubbing away any tiredness I felt, I watched in confusion as three of the adults were dragged out of the cell. One of the women seemed to be a mother as a child kept reaching and screaming for her while being held back. Turning to a nearby cellmate, I noted the fear on her face. “Hey. What the hell is going on?” 

Shaking, the girl hugged herself. “Just be glad you weren’t chosen… Whether it be a man or a woman, those demons don’t care.” I could note some anger in her voice as she spoke. “They’ll use you as they see fit. One thing that isn’t known by most is that the Sloth circle is managed by demons who fall under the sins of Lust and Wrath.” With even more information given to me, it was now clear to me why most held fear in their hearts for the demons that governed over them. “Wrath often enforces these rulings. Lust is just sick enough to enjoy them.” 

Wait… There are children here too… Staring into her eyes, a nod from her was the only confirmation I needed. Demons. Sloth. Lust. A metaphorical flame was ignited within my gut. I had a new goal besides getting out of here.  The cell door was still open it seemed since everyone was still crying and screaming. Hearing a few gasps, I turned to see why. No way…  Those sick bastards! Dragging the girl, Isra, by her arm was another demon. The same one that had spoken to me when they were transporting me. 

“Hey, quick question is murder punishable here?”

The young woman turned towards me before doing a double take. “What?” I don’t know if I was scaring her or if she could tell what I was about to do but I brushed it aside. There were more important things happening.

“What would happen if someone were to commit murder in hell?” My eyes bore into hers, almost like I was staring into her soul. I already knew the answer but I wanted to be certain. 

She didn't break her eye contact even when I was probably giving her such scary eyes. “You’d have a second sin, which would mean you would receive punishment from the Wrath ring managed by demons of Envy while also serving in the Sloth ring.” I was fine with that then. Standing up, I quickly broke through the crowd, approaching the already shut door. I’ll just have to catch up. I ignored all warnings as I focused my strength into my arms. Reeling my left arm back, I punched the cell door out of its place in the wall. It seemed this cell was at the end of the block meaning the right was a dead end while the left was the way to the exit. I threw caution to the wind and sprinted down the hall. 

Left. Right. Right. Left. Down the stairs. As I ran through the halls, I followed the scent of perfume one of the demons must have had. It was a strange smell and seemed like something only a female would wear but I brushed it off and continued to follow the scent. I know I’ve never fought a demon before but I’m sure I can handle this easily.

As I sprinted through an overpass, I could see the group heading for the exit. When I examined the features of the guards who were stationed there, I almost wanted to vomit. That’s… Why are people, humans helping them as guards? There were no binds and they had weapons. Using the smallest amount of magi possible, I couldn’t find any abnormalities with their minds or bodies. The implications of this made me want to vomit. I was prepared to observe even more until another group of humans came through. Three women and two men. One of them seemed to get a reaction out of Isra as she seemed to be on the brink of tears. The woman was pointing a glowing orb towards the young girl's face.

That’s it.

Without a single thought, my body moved on its own. 

— — — — —

What would mom do? 

Whenever I was in a scary situation or something went wrong, I would always use that question to stay strong. My mother and I had both ended up in hell because of my father. He sacrificed us for riches and fame, making us take the brunt of his sins. When we had ended up here, my mother would always sit by my side and comfort me. That was until she was taken away by the demons. Even when taken away all she worried about was my safety. 

“Please, someone, take care of my daughter!” That was what she screamed out as she was taken away. Day in and day out, I suffered. Many tried to be there for me after she was taken away but whenever they got too close, the demons would either kill them as an example or berate me. They never touched me though. I stayed strong though, because my mom would too. That was what I thought at least…

So why… “Why are you standing there pointing a weapon at me?! Mama?!” She did not respond. She pointed the strange glowing orb towards my face with a crazy look in her eyes. “Mama…?” When she did not respond again I began to cry. 

Why? I thought Mama loved me…

Tears trailed down my face as I continued to question why she would ignore me and threaten me. Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

I would die never knowing why my mother was willing to kill me. I could not and would never understand why. Nothing could justify this. “I hate you! I hate you, Mama!” That seemed to set her off. Without a signal or warning, she fired the orb with me as her target. 

Closing my eyes, I accepted my fate. 

— — — — —

Jumping from the overpass, I landed in between Isra and the other woman. I put my arms into a cross position and braced for the impact the orb would have. 

Fuck!

The pain was worse than I could have ever imagined. It felt like a thousand suns were trying to pass me and annihilate whatever was in its path. I’ll have to take it like a man! I sat there holding in my screams as the orb continued to push into my skin. I could feel all of my skin burning and the heat making its way into my body. It was almost like my bones were going to melt. One. Two. Three! Using all my speed, I rushed towards Isra with the flaming orb hot on my tail. Upon reaching her, I tackled her out of the way.

I watched in morbid fascination as the orb bounced off the wall it impacted and flew towards the guards and the group who had entered through the exit. Does it only interact with living beings- Wait no not the time! The orb flew into a demon next to the woman who originally fired it, setting him ablaze. He exploded into pieces sending fire and blood everywhere. I watched in morbid fascination as the flames burned whoever they landed on. Be it innocent or guilty. “What the hell…” Moving away from the burning bodies, I pulled Isra with me to a nearby wall.

I- I couldn’t even save the other three. A hand gripping the fabric of my shirt allowed me to refocus. That’s right. I need to get this girl and the other prisoners to safety.  

Coming to my feet, I grabbed the traumatized girl's hand and led her back to the cells, she followed me without resistance. I’ll leave her with the others. They all can escape while I take care of these monsters.

0