Chapter 107: The Night Doctor Escapes
123 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Night Doctor laughed scornfully, "That's your diagnosis? Sorry, but I haven't needed my gastrointestinal organs to support digestion or movement for many years."

Lynne, adjusting his glasses with a smile, countered, "Unfortunately, I must inform you that you have a cyst as big as an apple on your intestines, which is continuously spreading. It's quite dangerous."

Lynne gestured the size of an apple with his hand.

The Night Doctor burst into laughter as if he had heard the funniest joke.

"A cyst? You claim I have a cyst? Colleague, even if you fabricate, at least make it believable. The gastrointestinal system is highly sensitive, and any discomfort would manifest quickly through various symptoms. If I really had any discomfort, why wouldn't I feel..."

Buzz—

His words cut off abruptly, his eyes suddenly empty. He felt an intense pain shoot from his abdomen to his brain.

"This can't be!"

He trembled.

Lynne looked up, smiling, "I suggest you open yourself up and check."

The Night Doctor, sweat trickling down his forehead within his mask, stared at his own abdomen. He extended a sharp finger.

Sizzle—

His abdomen's clothing and flesh were sliced open in an instant. Upon pulling out his intestines, his pupils constricted as he indeed saw several cysts on his small intestine. He stood up abruptly.

"This is impossible!"

Shaking, he gazed at the cysts on his intestines, "Even if my body had some abnormal pathological changes, I would have noticed them immediately. And such cysts couldn't have formed in such a short time! I had a full body check-up just seven days ago!"

He turned sharply to Lynne, "Did you do this?!"

Lynne, calm and composed, adjusted his monocle and replied politely, "Please stay calm. As for how these cysts appeared, I'm not sure. I'm only responsible for conveying my diagnostic results. Since we're both doctors, you should know that accusing your physician so rashly is quite impolite."

Truthfully, he did possess the ability to directly inflict diseases on others, a part of his capabilities. But just like during his diagnosis of the lizard person, he had only used the passive effect of his Random Diagnosis ability and had not actively inflicted any condition. This meant that if his diagnostic technique was accurate, these were indeed the Night Doctor's own illnesses.

The Night Doctor, grinding his teeth, sat back down cross-legged, swiftly removing the cysts from his intestines and rapidly treating and stitching himself up with potions.

"You seem capable of treating the first ailment yourself, so let me tell you about the second disease I diagnosed," Lynne said, adjusting his glasses. He continued writing in his notebook while speaking calmly, "Your second condition is severe alopecia."

Silence. Utter silence.

The Night Doctor, in the middle of stitching up his intestines, froze.

The mayor and others sat dumbstruck, unable to utter a word.

"You're talking nonsense!" the Night Doctor exploded in anger.

Lynne remained calm: "Just have a look first. If I'm wrong, you can kill me later."

"Alopecia? You're saying I have alopecia?"

The Night Doctor was truly enraged this time, grabbing his beak mask and saying, "Fine! I'll show you whether I have alopecia or not!"

In his fury, he unzipped and removed his mask and hat in one swift motion.

Hair fluttered in the air.

As everyone watched in shock and astonishment, clumps of hair fell like feathers around him. Under the dim light, a shiny bald head reflected faint glimmers of light.

"He's really bald!" the mayor exclaimed in shock.

"…"

The Night Doctor sat frozen, holding his beak mask in a daze. He instinctively reached up to touch his head. Smooth and hairless... Accidentally, he touched his eyebrows, which also cascaded down in a shower.

(((;꒪ꈊ꒪;)))

His eyes went blank.

This... This can't be...

Lynne adjusted his glasses and calmly said, "Now let's discuss the third condition. This one might be a bit tricky, so I advise you to prepare yourself mentally."

The Night Doctor, in a hollow tone, asked, "What is it...?"

Lynne looked at him seriously and said, "There seems to be a slight mutation in a part of your body. It appears to... have a mind of its own..."

As the Night Doctor was still trying to comprehend what Lynne meant,

Suddenly,

Thump—

A muffled sound made the Night Doctor (((;꒪ꈊ꒪;))).

Then again,

Thump—

Another loud noise.

Everyone around was baffled. Only the Night Doctor sat there with a vacant look, sweat dripping down his face.

"What was that sound?" Lynne asked, puzzled.

The Night Doctor blankly said, "I wear iron underwear."

"…"

"…"

Time passed quickly. Half an hour later.

Creak—

The door was pushed open from the inside.

The Night Doctor with the beak mask, trembling and leaning on his cane, struggled to move. Clinging to the doorframe, he staggered out step by step. Compared to his mysterious and powerful presence upon arriving in the town, he now appeared much more weakened and debilitated.

"You can't leave... you... wait for me to call someone... wait for me... to get someone to deal with you..."

Gasping for breath and leaning on his cane, the Night Doctor shuffled away like a critically ill patient.

Lynne, feeling sympathetic, moved to offer support.

"Don't touch me!"

The Night Doctor, eyes widened in panic, moved swiftly and awkwardly to the side, as if evading a plague.

Lynne, concerned, said, "Are you sure you should be going back in this state? I'm genuinely worried about your health. Those diseases won't kill you."

The Night Doctor, clutching his cane and pale-faced, moved forward rapidly. To treat the illnesses diagnosed by Lynne, he had used up all his potions and had cut into himself multiple times. Yet, four or five diseases remained untreated.

A plague indeed! Perfectly fine before the diagnosis, and now suddenly so many illnesses! This was unbearable! There must be a problem! This guy must be up to something! He had to hurry back to call for reinforcements, preferably bringing all anti-curse and disease equipment!

"You wait! If you dare, wait until I call for backup! You're finished when they arrive!" He walked away hastily, repeatedly issuing threats.

Inside the house, the mayor and others sat stunned, mouths agape, unable to speak.

This was entirely unexpected. The Night Doctor had always been a mysterious and formidable entity in their eyes. But today they had witnessed a Night Doctor being scared off... And in their own field of expertise...

They turned, staring at Lynne, who waved goodbye with a smile, their minds buzzing.

"Dr. Lynne... Are you really planning to stay? Didn't you hear him? He's going to call for backup."

Lynne adjusted his glasses and replied with a smile, "Ah, of course, I'll stay. Because I still need to gain their approval. How else can I become a qualified Night Doctor like them?"

The mayor swallowed nervously, his mind buzzing. He felt like Lynne had already achieved that...

Several minutes later.

In the town square, Lynne sat with his eyes closed, calmly tapping his fingers on a table that the mayor had brought over. He appeared utterly relaxed and composed. Behind him, the mayor and dozens of townspeople stared with wide eyes.

Suddenly, amidst swirling black fog, they all jolted, then saw four figures emerge from the direction of the town's outskirts.

Identical beak masks, black top hats, and black robes.

"They're here!" the mayor turned pale, "Four... Four Night Doctors!"

All the townspeople instinctively stepped back, having never seen so many Night Doctors appear together.

The wind howled.

The four black-clad Night Doctors appeared on the square as if by magic, in the blink of an eye.

Lynne's mouth curved in a smirk, stopping his finger tapping.

"Welcome, please have a seat."

He opened his eyes, smiling at the four beak-masked figures who stared intently at him, politely pushing up his glasses.

"It's him."

The voice came from a Night Doctor positioned at the back. He pointed a gloved finger at Lynne and sternly addressed the three tall, beaked figures in front, "This man is highly suspicious. I was perfectly healthy, but after his diagnosis, my body suddenly manifested over a dozen ailments! I was in good health. If I had any hidden diseases, wouldn't I have noticed them? He must have done something to me when he touched me!"

Grinding his teeth in anger and frustration, he pointed accusingly at Lynne. "My xxxx is still acting up!"

Thump—

A muffled sound, as if in response to his words, made him jump.

"…"

He had been dealing with this all the way here. The situation was getting worse, and his colleagues suggested amputation to solve the problem, but he couldn't swallow his pride.

"…"

After a brief silence.

The leading Night Doctor, Raven, remained quiet, his mask's lenses reflecting Lynne's face. Lynne could feel Raven's scrutinizing gaze.

Lynne's interface displayed Raven's profile.

[Night Doctor: Raven]

[Race: Ravenfolk]

[Alignment: Lawful Good (?)]

[Level: ??? ]

The description was similar, but Raven clearly ranked higher than the previous Night Doctor, evident from his title and attire.

"I heard you've cursed and inflicted our member with diseases?"

Raven sat down across Lynne, his voice slightly sharp but steady. His gaze was dangerous.

Lynne, maintaining his smile, adjusted his glasses and calmly replied, "One shouldn't make baseless accusations. I am a principled doctor. How could I possibly do something so malicious? You can't just slander your doctor because they diagnosed you with some unwelcome ailments."

Lynne's words were logical and convincing.

"Nonsense!" The exasperated Night Doctor Executor slammed his fist on the table, "Don't pretend! I can tell you're not human. I know you're a Plague Doctor, here to teach us a lesson, aren't you?"

Lynne appeared puzzled, "Plague Doctor? What's that?"

Observing Lynne's baffled expression, Raven gestured for the agitated Night Doctor to step back. He then calmly looked at Lynne and explained in a composed voice, unlike the irate Night Doctor: "Plague Doctors are former members of the Night Doctors who betrayed our ideals. They broke away from our ranks and ceased to heal and save lives. Instead, they roam the world, spreading terrifying plagues and curses."

His mask's lenses reflected a dark and mysterious light.

"They are constantly trying to undermine and destroy us. So, please don't take my colleague's suspicions to heart. He's just performing his duty."

Lynne slightly furrowed his brow, "I see. I had no idea such evil existed in this world. To be a doctor and not heal, but instead poison and harm? That's despicable!"

Some werewolves in the distance trembled, almost crying.

Raven, squinting his eyes, said, "It seems you're not familiar with this?"

Adjusting his monocular glasses, Lynne replied with a smile, "Honestly, I don't travel much and am somewhat isolated from such information. I came here inspired by the Night Doctors' reputation as a profession dedicated to bringing happiness and well-being. So, can you provide me with an opportunity to become a Night Doctor?"

Lynne was exceedingly polite.

The Night Doctors exchanged glances, somewhat at a loss.

The Executor, still angry, whispered, "Mr. Raven, don't agree to his request. This young man is very peculiar. I think we should detain him until we can thoroughly investigate his identity…"

But before he could finish, Raven interrupted him gently, "Enough. Executor, have you forgotten our creed?"

The Executor was taken aback, then bowed his head, placing a hand over his chest, his eyes flickering, "No, Mr. Raven, I keep it close to my heart."

[The world needs healing. The eternal night needs to end. We heal, we protect, we redeem. We follow the righteousness in our hearts to offer treatment to every creature. Our surgical blades never allow prejudice and arrogance.]

Raven gazed deeply at Lynne across the table and said, "Joining us is not a simple matter. We must ensure that you possess the necessary qualities and abilities to confront the darkness that afflicts this world. I've heard you possess a remarkable diagnostic ability, able to discern all ailments with just a touch. Is that true?"

Lynne, serious now, sat up straight and smiled, "Not all ailments, perhaps, but I'm confident in diagnosing most."

The Executor clenched his teeth in frustration, unable to hide his irritation.

Raven's lens flickered with profound light as his fingers tapped lightly on the table.

"Alright, I'll give you a chance."

The Executor was shocked, "Mr. Raven..."

Raven raised a hand to silence him and, with a flick of his finger, a faint light shimmered at his fingertip.

"I've just released a virus into my body," Raven explained calmly. "It's a stealthy virus that can cause severe damage if left undetected for too long."

He placed his hand on the table, exposing his raven-like talons.

"You claim to have a special diagnostic ability. I'll give you this opportunity. Within ten minutes, if you can accurately identify the entry point of the virus, its distribution, and the adverse effects it's causing me, I'll acknowledge your qualification."

He removed his gloves, revealing his hybrid raven-human hand with sharp talons.

Lynne listened intently, then confidently replied, "So, if I diagnose the virus correctly, I can become a Night Doctor?"

Raven responded, "Don't aim too high, young man. But yes, if you truly can, I'll personally recommend you."

Lynne nodded solemnly, "Alright."

5