ch 4. Into the Knight Headquarters
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Are you really trying to break into the city and harm the gatekeeper?"

"What?"

The knight leading the guards is a large man, almost as big as Ari, with blond hair. His face is stern, with angular jaws showing a clear expression of disapproval, as if what he just accused Ari of is something very serious.

"I'll ask again, are you really trying to break into the city and harm the gatekeeper?"

"Break in? I'm sure you can see that I've been standing here looking confused. All I did was ask how to enter the city without using identification documents because I don't have any."

"Is what this young man is saying true?"

The knight supervisor asks the gatekeeper, who gives Ari a sly look and a wicked smile. Stammering as if something had terrified him half to death, the gatekeeper begins to explain.

"No sir! He just punched me in the stomach. I... I could barely escape... to report to you... You can... ask the people... in line..."

The gatekeeper shows a threatening expression to the people in line behind Ari as the knight supervisor shifts his gaze to the queue. The people in line understand from the gatekeeper's look that if they don't agree with the gatekeeper's lie, their entry permission will be made very difficult.

"The gatekeeper, how long have you been working as a gatekeeper?"

Knight's supervisor calmly questioned the cunning gatekeeper. Oblivious to the change in the knight supervisor's tone, the gatekeeper casually began speaking as if he had already won a great prize.

"I have been a gatekeeper for ten years, sir! There have never been any issues with the lines I manage. In fact, the lines I oversee always become-"

"Enough. Now I will give you a choice.

Resign and find another job where you can use your cunning.

Or be eliminated on the spot for extortion and fraud, both against the public and your superiors."

"What?"

The gatekeeper looked shocked and confused. Just a moment ago, he was in a position of power, free to extort citizens and easily threaten people. Suddenly, everything changed, and now he was under threat of death.

"I'll give you up to three counts."

"But sir! I always-"

"One."

"Sir, I have never deceived any-"

"Two."

"Eeek!!!"

"Three."

Swosshh!

Ari almost screamed in horror as he saw the gatekeeper's head, who was trying to escape, suddenly fly past right in front of his face. The gatekeeper's body, still spewing blood, continued its steps a bit before then falling weakly, losing control and moving only based on instinctive muscle responses.

Meanwhile, the vigilant knight appeared unfazed by the gushing blood. He swiftly sheathed his still unblemished sword at his waist and then focused on Ari, who was still very frightened.

"Can you please tell me where you come from and why you don't have any form of identification?"

"Uh... I'm sorry if I'm being bold, sir. Please don't kill me."

"Don't worry, I only eliminate corrupt individuals and threats to society. So please explain about yourself and where you come from."

"Uh... I come from a remote village called Westedge. There is no population registration there, so I never had any form of identification."

"Hmm, Westedge, you say... Indeed, there is no population registration in that area. Alright, please follow me. I will assist you in obtaining identification and other requirements. Do you mind if we conduct a brief check on your background, do you? We just want to ensure everyone remains safe and peaceful."

"I don't mind at all! Not at all, sir!"

"Thank you very much. Please come with me."

Throughout the conversation, the vigilant knight showed no expression at all. His face remained impassive, and his eyes seemed empty. Ari was truly nervous facing the vigilant knight because his vacant expression seemed to suggest that he could end Ari's life at any moment.

Ari followed the knight supervisor to a room next to the gate, leading to the Supervisor Room. From there, they passed through another door into a more secluded room where Ari had to answer quite a few questions about himself and his origins. Some guards were also seen comparing Ari's face with several sheets of pictures that seemed to be images of fugitives and criminals who were on the run.

After a lengthy and time-consuming process lasting several hours, Ari finally managed to enter Mountframe city after obtaining an identity card containing his data and paying an entrance fee of ten silver coins. As Ari exited the Supervisor Room, the sky had turned a reddish-gray color, indicating that night was approaching.

Ari decided to find accommodation and have dinner first to pass the night peacefully. The image of the gatekeeper whose throat was slit just because of a minor extortion still vividly lingered in Ari's mind. Moreover, the image of the gatekeeper's decapitated head flying in front of Ari's face unintentionally revealed the last expression of fear from the gatekeeper, who was probably now buried.

What about his family? His friends? Colleagues and other acquaintances? Did they feel lost, betrayed, or oppressed?

*****

The next day, after having breakfast at the hotel restaurant, enjoying a simple meal at an affordable price, Ari decided to start exploring the city and inquire about the registration location for the Knight Academy. One of the easiest methods to find the Knight Academy was to ask directly the nearest knight, and the only knight Ari knew nearby was the supervisor knight at the city entrance.

Ari returned to the city entrance and was surprised to see an incredibly long queue. He assumed that there was always a very long line to enter the city every day. Around hundreds of people were waiting in line to gain access, with some being forced to leave because their entry was denied by the guards.

Ari continued his steps towards the Supervisor Room where he met the guard on duty.

"Excuse me, sir, can I meet the supervisor knight here?"

"Supervisor knight?"

"Yes, sir, the supervisor knight who leads the guards at this gate."

"Ah, do you mean to meet Sir Rud Flatcold?"

"I'm not sure about his name, but he helped me from being deceived by one of the guards who... umm..."

"Oh, yes! That's right, his name is Sir Rud Flatcold. He is not a supervisor knight or whatever you mentioned, he is a Knight of Mountframe. He came yesterday for a routine check. If you want to meet him, you can go directly to the Knight's Headquarters on the other side of the city."

"Wow, thank you very much for the information! Can I really meet him there?"

"Of course not! Hahaha, how can an ordinary person come to the Knight's Headquarters and ask to meet a knight anytime? But if you're lucky, you might see him walking out of the headquarters. He usually prefers to walk to his destination, not ride a horse or carriage like most other knights."

The guard seemed happy to have surprised and embarrassed Ari with his question, although he apologized afterwards, and they chatted about lighter topics. Fifteen minutes later, Ari bid farewell to the Guard Room and walked towards the Knight's Headquarters.

Ari felt quite fortunate as the journey to Knight's Headquarters was relatively easy. He only needed to walk straight from the first gate until he arrived on the other side of the city. From there, Ari just needed to look for a building with a mountain symbol surrounded by frames and a sword in the middle, which was the logo of the city of Mountframe as well as the location of the Knight's Headquarters in Mountframe city.

During his journey there, Ari discovered some interesting places such as Mountframe Square where there was a large park specially designed to be within the silhouette of a large mountain. The mountain silhouette was magically created using Mana.

Additionally, Ari also found the Adventurer's Headquarters where people in diverse clothing were casually coming in and out. Some of them seemed to be taking their day seriously, evident from their facial expressions and firm way of walking. Others appeared to just want to waste time in vain, getting drunk and chatting all day with tired adventurer friends seeking entertainment during their break.

Another interesting place Ari found was the Wizard's Headquarters, conveniently not too far from the Knight's Headquarters. The Wizard's Headquarters also displayed the Mountframe symbol on the front wall of the building, along with pictures of four balls each representing the four basic elements.

Ari briefly pondered whether he had a chance to join the Wizard's Headquarters but quickly dismissed the idea. His opportunity to become a knight was not even determined yet, let alone thinking about the chance to become a wizard.

Ari approached Knight's Headquarters and saw that the entrance gate to the headquarters was tightly closed and guarded by four fully armored guards. Ari approached the nearest guard and attempted to ask him a question.

"Excuse me, sir, is this the Knight's Headquarters?"

"Yes, please leave."

"Uh... I'm sorry, I wanted to ask about a knight named Sir Rud Flatcold."

"You can't. Please leave."

"Uh..."

The guard Ari tried to talk to seemed completely uninterested in responding to anything Ari said beyond a few words. Ari became somewhat hesitant and attempted to ask another guard.

"Excuse me, sir, can I go inside?"

"No, please leave."

"Uh... may I ask you then?"

"Yes. Hurry up and then leave."

"Ah! Thank you! I want to ask where I can register to take the Knight Academy entrance exam."

"To register, you can go to Knight's Headquarters and meet the receptionist. Express your intention to register, fill out the form, and then wait for the exam call."

"I have answered you. Please leave or I will use force."

"Uh... alright..."

Reluctantly, Ari stepped back from the guards out of fear of the threat of violence, but Ari did not go too far. He just shifted slightly to the building next to Knight's Headquarters, which happened to be a store selling equipment and tools. Trying to console himself for failing to enter Knight's Headquarters, Ari purposely entered the store and browsed through the displayed items.

Ari browsed around for an hour and then left without buying anything. As he exited, he glanced one more time towards the Knight's Headquarters and noticed the gate was now open, allowing people to come and go freely.

Ari hurried back to the Knight's Headquarters and approached the guard once again.

"Excuse me, sir, may I enter the Knight's Headquarters?"

"Yes, of course. Please come in."

"Thank you, sir!"

"But why was I asked to leave earlier?"

"That's because you hadn't entered during the gate opening hours."

"I see..."

Ari then walked calmly into Knight's Headquarters and headed straight to the reception desk. Deep inside, Ari made a promise to himself.

I need to learn how to read the clock. City people seem to be very focused on time.

1