Chapter 5 – In the Mouth II
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Quintin fought off singular [Intruder Wolves] for the better part of the downward climb. The fight against the two only being the start of more activity from the beasts. It wasn't a lot, merely four additional wolves, but he had expended five more claws in the process. With around 200 meters to the valley floor, he was getting anxious. The mist was very thin by now and lumps in the shape of fallen beasts could be made out in places at a squint.

He had found a small, secluded hollow in the side of the mountain which he huddled into while recuperating his lost [Stamina] and to allow for his [Pressure] to rebuild. He passed a few hours in this way so that he had a little bit of a lifeline for the remaining distance.

HP: 210/210
PP: 100/250


[Intruder Wolves x4 Lv. 2-4] defeated.
--1100exp. granted.


*[Class Level Up]!
+5[AP] gained. Unallocated: 10[AP]
[Nameless Grappler Lv.3]

By now he had figured out, after some experimentation on the way down, that he didn't really need the claws to gain a secure hold. His hands could very easily break into the rock wall by digging his fingers in, but he was very glad he hadn't known because, without a method of attack, he would've been a victim to even one wolf, let alone two.

He began to amble down once again only pausing when something caught his attention through the dense tree coverage or to shake out a cramp in one of his arms. He was almost to the bottom now and felt a welling rush of excitement at the prospect.

Every time a new sound would come from down below he would pause to scan the area. As he neared the bottom his vigilance spiked, his sightline matching the treetops.

As if on cue more snarling could be heard; which had become a tradition at this point and one he warily regarded. He had eleven claws left to the three [Intruder Wolves] that crawled over a craggy bluff and began to charge up.

Three this time. Only ever fought two or singles. Are these wolves primarily loner types or small packs?

The lead wolf was obviously bigger. If the others came up to his waist, then this wolf was around chest high when fully standing.

*[Identification] Lv. 1=>2


[Alpha Intruder Wolf] - Pack Lead - Mountain Climber - Territorial
Lv. ?? HP: ??? MP: ??? SP: ???
A winner in one of many previous mountain climbs, it gained the right
to become an Alpha of its own. Leads a loose pack during mating times,
but a strict and ruthless unit any other time.

That just confirms why they're mostly alone, I'd hate to see what the full pack is capable of. It has an unknown [Level] which worries me, but I'll just have to make my shots count. It's just my luck this would happen so close to the ground.

Two shots cracked out as the wolves came within 20 meters of him. The [Alpha] was his clear choice, it was both in the lead and most powerful of the trio. He anticipated that it would dodge, but the other two were close enough on the sides that he may well end up hitting one anyways should that happen.

However, the [Alpha] was not as keen as Quintin gave it credit for being as its blood splattered out of an exit wound on its upper shoulder. One of the other wolves panic-jumped directly behind the now wounded [Alpha] while the second shot whizzed harmlessly by its head.

[Breath of Sudden Calamity] x2 used. -20PP PP: 80/250
{Critical Damage}!
-150[HP] Damage Dealt to [Alpha Wolf]!
+{Bleeding}

The Alpha snarled and pivoted in its charge with the moment of confusion brought about by sudden pain, but remained entrenched while its two subordinates sprinted past in a frenzy.

Quintin pulled in a deep breath and reconfirmed his foothold before he fired off the three remaining claws at the fast-approaching wolves. After which, he pierced his now empty left hand into the rocky terrain and dangled his right arm down for a second burst if needed.

Two blood-curdling complaints rang out as one wolf dropped down. Its form banged repeatedly against the sometimes jagged rockery, only coming to an abrupt stop when it thudded to the ground a few moments later. The other was stationary while it stubbornly refused to let go, but it was apparently going to be a losing battle with that hole punched through the side of its neck.

He had lost sight of the [Alpha], but soon enough he knew why. It had hidden behind the two as they charged, and now sprang up and over the straining wolf that clung on desperately ahead of it.

Shit! this is bad. [Stats] dump all [AP] into Vitality!

He could now squint and see his own reflection in the eyes of the [Alpha Intruder Wolf]. His right arm raised up, seemingly in slow motion, in this desperate moment. With no time for fancy aiming, he fired off all five at nearly point-blank range, regardless, the wolf would still impact with him.

Three perforations made the wolf go limp at the end of its arc as the injections of inevitable death clouded its eyes over. In its last act, defiant, bloodshot eyes came alive and it reached out to rip Quintin off his perch.

The stuffy meat-impact knocked the wind out of him as a rich pain from its incisive claws spread from his left arm.
Quintin and the [Alpha] began to fall while tangled up together. They bashed into the stationary wolf which sent them all further out, away from the mountain wall in a mess of limbs.

[Alpha Crush & Weak Swipe] Calculated.
-150[HP] Damage Taken.
[HP]: 160/310
+{Momentarily Dazed}
+{Momentarily Winded}

The dazing effect came and went, but the three were closing in on the ground. He knew he had to fight to cushion his impact atop the wolf corpses in the seconds before they hit the ground. He dug the tips of his shoes into the abdomen of a wolf and pivoted up with a kick while holding on to its high fur. He hugged onto the [Alpha] atop the pile of bodies and closed his eyes before a series of thuds.

Then absolute quiet prevailed.

[Cushioned Falling Damage] Calculated.
-150[HP] Damage Taken.
[HP]: 10/310
+{Heavily Dazed}
+{Bruised Ribs}

[Alpha & Intruder Wolves x2] defeated.
—4500exp. granted.


*[Class Level Up x2]!
+10[AP] gained.
[Nameless Grappler Lv.5]
1