Chapter 25 – Fishing I
27 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What does she mean by that? He thought with perplexity.

He warily regarded the badge in his gantlet-looking hand. To the outside observer, the sleeves of his [Battle-Robe] covered up to his wrists. Up until now, they hadn't even caught a second glance or word of passing strangeness.

Thankfully. [Identify].

[Quintin Julle's Adventurer Badge]
— Rank: Bronze
— Common
— Identification
Name: Quintin Julle
Age: 27
Sex: Male
Race: Human
Class: [Nameless Grappler] Lv.: 11
Job: None
Titles:
[????]
[????]
[Grandmaster]
[Elusive Creature Spotter I]
Teams: Rookie of the Ghastly Half-Hearts


Notable: [Nyathamon Bounty]
Contracts: None
Personal Requests: None
Landmark Achievements: None

"You didn't tell me it would take so much of my information. Isn't that a bit... shady?" Quintin was a bit surprised that his [Titles] had been revealed in the process. Upon reflection, though, he felt it wouldn't have changed his decision anyways.

Cassida showed a toothy grin and spoke, "Calm down. That just slipped my mind. Only those [Titles] that are in our database are revealed, which isn't a lot because most Adventurer's don't go around sharing the particulars of them."

She broke off and tapped her cheek, "But [Grandmaster]...Wow, that's a bold statement. One that several people would love to challenge."

He noticed that she looked expectant and could feel her trying to contain her battle-intent. He took a step back and sternly said, "How many people want to die for nothing? I won't show any mercy, not to mention my Team."

By now, he at least knew the power of the Ghastly Half-Heart name. If Nyathamon or anybody else were going to use him, he wouldn't feel bad about using them either. His plate was already full to be worried about random battle-junkies jumping out of the bushes to duel with him.

Cassida deflated and was hurt-with-shock as she mock-pouted, "You wound me, I would never. Although... come back in another forty or so levels, and we can have a friendly spar."

She winked at him and turned to leave the booth. She pointed him to the [Boards] in passing and told him he could ask for her at reception any time he wished.

After making a few steps to leave, she suddenly stopped and said, "What happened to your eye? If you don't mind me asking."

"Fishing accident." He regarded the side of her face while shrugging helplessly and said, "I was around ten or so, out fishing with my younger Brother. He had never fished before, so I decided to teach him. One thing led to another, and in the next, I had a hook in my eye. Another excited jerk later, and I was sightless."

Cassida just nodded and briefly spoke, "That must've been painful. Sorry for your loss."

"Don't be. It made me who I am today. I had to fight harder because of my handicap, and that work made me tougher and more focused than most..." Quintin cupped his fist to her in farewell, "So long, Cassida."

He softly patted his [Battle-Robe] in places to figure out if Vissitri was still there, but found no bump or twitchy movement in response. He was alone or felt as alone as he had in a few days. As he walked towards the [Contract Board], a sigh escaped from his slightly relieved appearance.

I'm not built for these head battles. I don't know how everything will shake out, but I can focus on things as they come, he thought, willing his eyes up to look at the contract-filled board in front of him.

Quintin squeezed his metallic-fist at face level and mouthed the words, "Strength. I need the strength to pressurize others. As if I'd make it easy for them."

The [Contract Board] was filled with papers, but Quintin couldn't read any of them. However, there were color-coded symbols in the corners on each piece — Bronze, Grey, Silver, and so on that indicated the contract or bounty [Rank]. Even with that useful system, the true problem remained that he would have to have them explained, which made him feel a bit embarrassed.

No matter the world, this feeling of not understanding simple truths is embarrassing, he sighed audibly.

His sigh must've caught the attention of someone because it garnered a 'Psst' replete with 'come-hither' hand-motion from a man standing at the [Contract Board] a few feet away.

"Can I help you?" Quintin asked as he came to stand a short distance away from him.

"Name's Aarin. Couldn't help but hear ya' sighin' abouts over there. Common find, common find," Aarin waved his hand back and forth in the air and added, "Figured mayhaps ya' be needin' some... assistance."

He rubbed his hands together in an - I smell profit - sort of way.

Quintin could read the underlying message and said with slight embarrassment, "Well, maybe. It's just a bit embarrassing. I'm sure a clerk would help me..."

Aarin knowingly smiled as he nodded his head emphatically. "No doubt ye could do that, no doubt. But how long mighten' that take? For but a few coins... or thereabouts, I could help ye make a proper selection, lad."

Quintin was skeptical but had to admit, if Aarin really could help him, it could be worthwhile. "Alright, let's give it a shot. How about you pick out the best monster hunting contract for bronze."

Aarin's eyes flicked over to the board, and he pointed at one near the bottom corner. "[Goblins]. There's always a needin' ta rout out them filthy buggers from the caves from time to time. Y'see, they dig new pathways through the ground and cause havoc aplenty."

Quintin cupped his chin in thought. If I remember right, [Goblins] are mean and green humanoid creatures out of folklore. It seems as good as anything else. I may as well ask a clerk where I can find them and go from there.

"A good place to start at the very least. I only have some [Intruder Wolf] teeth, will that do?"

"Ai. Give me a handful of them, and we be square," Aarin said smilingly. Quintin didn't miss the greedy intention that flashed through his [Sinisphere].

With that in mind, Quintin produced a small handful of about eight or so and handed them over. "Thanks for the help, Aarin. See you around."

"Ai, if'n you be needin' any more help, you know where ta find me." He swaggered off to the bar area where he sat amongst some others who looked up and over to Quintin and waved once they noticed him looking.

Quintin took the [Goblin] contract off the board, and up to reception. "Could I go ahead and take this contract? I might need a little help being pointed in the right direction as I'm new around here."

The woman looked up, noticing that Quintin already had his badge ready for her and observed it momentarily before handing it back.

"Of course! There are many connected and unconnected cave tunnels around here. [Goblins] break through from time to time with their digging. That's where you come in. This contract quota is 25 [Goblin] ears; then you're done."

She stamped the contract with a yellow symbol in the corner and wrote a few notes before continuing, "We've had reports recently from a mining operation back at the cave system entryway to PanQuil. Do you know where that is?"

Quintin nodded succinctly and waited for the woman to go on.

"Well, the fastest way is to go back over there and make your way through. This particular contract goes away from PanQuil. You will find people or signs there that can direct you better than me."

"I see, thank you. Is that all I need to know?" Quintin asked.

"It shouldn't be a problem for you, but know [Goblins] are quite ruthless and fight in groups. Good luck!"

1