Chapter 2 – Shimmer
117 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Faint typing and small chatter permeated the hallways. The clicking of heels struck tiles with an ominous yet familiar thunder. Pain radiated from my shoulder with a spiral intent, threatening to constrict my nerves. My eyes felt so heavy, it took considerable effort to pry them open like a rusted trap that would reveal my condition. Serpentine eyes greeted me the moment I broke free from my prison. I squeaked a pained “eep!” the moment my eyes met theirs. 

“Oh, wakey wakey sleeping beauty.” Said a feminine but hungry voice. “It was about time you returned to the land of the living.” 

“Whuh-… where am I?” I managed to gasp out. 

“The hospital, obviously.” She remarked. “We nearly lost you, and I would’ve had to fill out much more paperwork if we did.”

I looked up and down at my chaperone with tired eyes. She was dressed in a ribbed black leather jacket, complete with silver spiked boots that seemed sharp enough to punch a hole through metal. Her arms and hands were wrapped in loose boxing tape, with strangely pointed finger tips. Acrylic nails under the tape perhaps? A tattoo coiled itself up her neck with an interlacing geometric pattern in black and gold. Her hair was slicked back, but had an undercoat of emerald and gold hidden under a jet black surface layer.

“…-might experience some pain in your left shoulder as the mag rail collision did a number on you. And the stitches also should stay firm so long as you don’t push yourself. Are you still with me?”

I blinked thrice and looked down at myself. Bloody bandages and an arm sling covered my body. My shoulder radiated a dull pain from my left side again. “What happened to me? I remember something awful crawling in the train with me” I asked. 

“Beats me, the Department of Public Transportation doesn’t really do research. They just pay me to clean the rails, and if some ghoul is there it’s just another mess to clean.”

The serpent lady folded her arms, lean but muscular as they bulged from beneath their taped confinement. 

“What is your name?” I asked. 

“You can call me Shimmer.” She answered.

“Shimmer? That’s an odd name.” I said, immediately regretting my answer.

“Yeah but it’s mine. What’s your name, damsel?”

I sighed, “It's Lynn, and sorry, I didn’t mean it that way.”

She eyed me up and down. “It’s fine, I know you didn’t. I know who you are.”

My heart dropped with my stomach through the floor. Did she just clock me? How did she know? Anxiety gripped me, I wasn’t particularly ashamed of my identity, but it wasn’t something that I wanted a complete stranger to know.

Sensing the panic in my eyes, Shimmer gently sat next to my chest on the side of the bed. “Don’t worry honey, I’ve seen real monsters and you aren’t one. Plus, you’re much cuter than that creep who split your side open last week.”

I gasped. It felt like a double whammy to my heart and to my head. I blushed for just a moment before the realization hit me. “Wait, last week?!” I screamed out. Pain gripped my ribs and I jolted back into a recovery position.

“Easy there Lynn. Yes, it was last week. You’ve been under for a bit now. I’m mostly here to routinely check on you cause you got some paperwork to fill out, but should probably be fine. You're stable now at least.” It was reassuring to hear I wasn’t going to die. But there was another issue. I leered over to the table to my right. My clothes folded and stacked on the table sat beside a cracked phone.

Reaching out, I quickly snatched my phone and turned it on only to be bombarded by a litany of emails. I sighed solemnly. “Fired from my job. Lovely.” I turned to Shimmer. “Was there no news or reporting about this? You’d think a mag rail incident would make national news!”

“About that.” Shimmer looked at the floor resignedly. “I’ve got some paperwork here regarding that accident, and if you sign the forms properly, you’ll have your bills covered if you agree to never talk about this incident. Company policy.” The government was trying to buy my silence? Is this why no one ever hears about mag rail accidents? What even about the creature that attacked me? Were there more of them?

“It’s not like I have much of a choice. I don’t have the money to pay for this. My insurance was shit even when I had it.” I knew the score.

“Well, good thing you have the option now. And please give a five star rating for my quality of service, I really need all five stars and no lower.” Shimmer requested. I understood what was needed of me. Completely tied up and outmatched by a healthcare system that barely cared enough to let me transition, and a transportation department that would eagerly buy my silence.

“I wouldn't suppose you’re hiring.” I joked half heartedly.

“Always, it wouldn't be the first time someone who was in an accident applied for the Cleaner position.” Shimmer answered stone faced. My jaw almost dropped, but on reflection, it made sense. Who the hell would want a job where monsters could flay you alive?

“It pays like shit for the workload to be honest. But there is a signing bonus and pretty good benefits.” She continued. My back felt like it was against an icy steel wall. Rent was due, my meds were low, and I was now unemployed. This felt suicidal, but what choice did I have? Sex work? Honestly, no disrespect to that field but that sounded like a Faustian bargain of its own making. 

“Fine.” I said. “Tell me your rates.”

The medical bills were dropped soon enough. My paperwork was being processed rather quickly by the DPT. Aren’t government agencies usually rather slow with the hiring process? I let out a resigned sigh. Nurses ushered me towards the front of the building, with Shimmer compassionate enough to offer me a paid ride home. I didn’t want to take the Mag Rail right now; not after what happened to me. My left arm still felt rather numb, with a faint dull pain suppressed by painkillers. The doctor told me there was some nerve damage, and that with some rehab I could maybe get some function back into it. To me, it felt hopeless, and honestly I don’t know I was going to cope with this new job. It seemed so intense even from far away, and that I wouldn’t last a week.

My ride pulled up in a black, dark tinted ride. The passenger seat window pulled itself down with a soft hum. “You Lynn?” A man in the driver’s seat asked. “Yeah, I’m her. Is the backseat okay?” He nodded back at me, as I entered the car. He was dressed in a dark suit, his dark complexion matched it well. A sharply dressed man for a rather mundane job.

Some time passed, and the silence in the car smothered my own thoughts. Then finally, a break. “What were you in the hospital for? If you don’t mind my asking.” The driver inquired.

“I was in an accident.”

“What kind?” The driver glared at me from the rear view mirror.

My body and blood went from limp and bruised, to frozen stiff. The paperwork, the agreement. Was I being tested?

“Just a normal car accident.” I reassured him. “Really screw up my arm here!” I wiggled my arm uselessly. 

Silence. A beat skipped.

“How’s Shimmer doing?” He asked.

“Oh, are you a friend of hers?”

“No no, just an acquaintance of theirs. But they called me in to give you a ride, and they are usually good for the money. People often try to skip out on rides with back charges.” He grimaced. “Backstabbing assholes who take advantage of those in service work are often ones you ought to watch out for, Miss Lynn.”

“You could say that again.” I chuckled.

“Don’t make me repeat myself.” The man said dryly. The tension felt overwhelming. What was this guy’s deal? I just want to go home, please! Another minute of silence slid by in an agonizing pace.

“Shimmer told me you were gonna be a cleaner soon. Are you joining any crew in particular?” He asked.

“I’m sorry, crew? Also, who are you and why do you know that about me?” I felt small in the car, but the tension was getting too much for me.

“Easy, the name’s Anton. I figured Shimmer might have given you the details on the job’s politics, but they got sloppy, didn’t they? I don’t.” His voice was a bit warmer, but remained serious.

We turned a corner near my apartment complex.

“Crews are good for security, and people will approach you soon. If you want to stand a chance to make it more than a couple days at the job, give me a call.” Anton tossed back a business card onto my lap. A number, and a seal with a ram embossed on it with a scarlet highlight. 

The car pulled up to my building.

“Thank you for the ride, Mr. Anton.” I said, eager to leave the car.

“Don’t mention it, just a little favor. Remember that card, Miss Lynn.

The car pulled away from the curb, my shoulders finally relaxing. I just needed to get some sleep. Shimmer told me a chaperone would pick me up tomorrow. Training and orientation would follow. It’s the last thing I wanted to do, but I didn’t have any choice. Rent was due in a week, and I just needed something a little extra to make it.

Water sprang from my bathtub faucet, steam danced across the walls and tiled floor. My eyes met someone even stranger than I was a week ago. My naked body, scarred and bruised from the incident and the precipitated surgery, ached and squirmed under my own inspection. A veritable spider web of stitches sprawled across my left side and arm, threatening to pull my frame apart. I hated this. Why did this have to happen to me?

I took my medicine and hormones and ripped my eyes away from the mirror. A warm bath was waiting for me.

Bang bang bang!

A knock at the door? Why now of all times? I slipped into my robe and threw on my slippers. Quietly approaching the front door, I peered through the peephole. Black leather, jet black hair, spiked apparel? It was Shimmer for sure. I sighed once more and opened the door.

Shimmer towered over me, her fit and muscular frame clearing my small and frail one by nearly a foot. My heart skipped a beat on the realization. 

“Hey, you forgot something.” Shimmer started, producing a small vial and syringe. “It’s uh, medicine. Your doctor forgot to hand it off.” I stared at items, a strange vial of prismatic liquid. It seemed to sparkle in the porch light. I looked up at a pair of serpent eyes once again piercing my very soul with their intensity. Shimmer seemed to freeze with her gaze affixed to mine.

My face grew hot, remembering my clothing situation. My face and ears became redder, as I quickly took the items. Shimmer laughed in amusement, her sharp teeth flashing bright. “Didn’t think you’d undress for me so soon. You don’t have to tempt me so quickly, Miss Lynn.”

I cinched my robe tighter, my legs quivering with a slight give. “No no! I was just about to take a bath! I wasn’t expecting company!” I panicked. She was very attractive but I wasn’t ready for this, and definitely not in a time like this! Hell, I hardly knew her. I needed to swap topics and fast.

“W-what is the medicine for?” I asked, flusteredly. 

“It’s… a steroid of some sort. It will help your recovery.”

My eyes narrowed. “Anything I should expect? Side effects?”

“Couldn’t tell you. But the doctor was very adamant that you take it before you go to bed. It will knock you on your ass, and you’ve got training and orientation tomorrow.” Shimmer shuffled in place nervously, her boots scraping the concrete below her.

“You look like someone used to syringes anyways so it should be a snap.” Shimmer stumbled out.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I questioned.

“Oh no no no that is not what I meant!” Now it was Shimmer's turn to panic. “I uh just meant that you uh, um.” Her cool demeanor and confident attitude slipped away.

As much as it pleased me to sweat her out, she didn’t seem the hateful type. “Look, yes I transitioned. But I don’t use needles often.” I clarified.

“Look I’m… sorry. That came out bad. I get what you mean, as I’ve gone through something a bit similar in the past. Just, please take the medicine as you will need it for tomorrow!” Shimmer quickly rushed from the porch.

“See you tomorrow for orientation!” She shouted.

I closed the door, with the ordeal finally being over I headed off to the bath.

5