Story Notes #1 – Explaining the Magic System in Awakening
301 8 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Awakening's Magic System

Subject to minor change

(Any change will be updated to any relevant chapters)


 

Everyone fits in 7 classes these are:

  • Mage
  • Ranger
  • Warrior
  • Tank
  • Fighter
  • Assassin (Rare)
  • Berserker (Very Rare)

 

Assassin and Berserker are relatively new classes on Earth and only a handful of people have the assassin class and an elite family has monopolised the Berserker class. However, in other worlds, they are aware off all the classes which currently exist and the rarity isn't as exaggerated as it is on Earth.


 

However the Mage class has a speciality, where the user specialises in a certain type of magic, for example, a Mage might specialise in Fire attacks or ice.

 

  • How does someone know what their class/speciality is?

A: When born, each individual will have a dormant power within them, after reaching a certain age during their early childhood their power awakens, they will have a first spell which activates unknowingly. Their first spell decides their speciality. 

Another factor which comes into play is if their parents also had powers then the chances of them inheriting one of their classes or portion of their mana increases highly. However, a child who's parents did not awaken powers can still awaken powers on their own.

 

Example of Mage specialities:

  • Mage
    • Elementals - Fire, Ice, Wind, Water, Lightning, Ice
    • Healing
    • Summoning

 


 

  • What energy is required to use these powers?

A: It's something humans call mana, it is everywhere in the world, in the soil, water and skies. Everyone only has Spells and Skills and nothing else, they don't have 'points' which they can put towards their different statistics like in games.

 

That's why the higher the mana capacity you are born with the more of a prodigy or god sent talent you are considered. Every spell takes up different amounts of Mana, so most people need to be intelligent about the type of spells they need to use to take out their opponent.

 

  • How do they know how much mana they have?

A: Each person can see a mana gauge in their field of view when they activate their spells. For earlier humans, it was something new and strange however after many generations it's now considered a normal part of life. Some people can permanently see their mana gauge in their eyesight at all times and that is also perfectly normal.

 

  • If people have no 'points' to increase their stats like health how do they grow stronger, since any spell could wipe out a normal human easily?

A: When magic/mana was first introduced to Earth that is exactly what happened, many basic tier spells could kill humans instantly, only very few survived one or two spells. This why it caused so much destruction and uprisings however powerful and intelligent people quickly took over and brought control to their respective lands. On Earth, these are called the Eight Great Families.

 

However over time, as portals started appearing, one variation was the other-world portal and these were links to worlds in other universes. if these worlds contained civilisations they either brought knowledge or destruction. 

 

Some of the knowledge passed was how to tap into their classes power which humans at the time had no way of knowing.

 


Class Transformation:

 

Each class has an initial transformation spell this is something an individual chants before a start of a battle and they transform into a being which fits their classes roles more. Each class already has a pre-defined chant for each class. So for every tank, it's the same chant, for every mage it's their own unique same chant. These chants can be done within their thoughts or out loud it does not matter.

 

This transformation mainly consists of the person gaining abilities and equipment which can carry out their roles better for example,

 

When a mage chants the transformation spell, a magic circle will appear below them and a light will shine up. Then the person will appear in a robe, a staff will appear in her hand and her abilities will also change. For humans, mages health is still a lot higher than just being in their normal form so they can last a lot longer in battles however from all the classes they still have the lowest health when in their transformed state.

 

This transformation increases/decreases their strength, agility, constitution, dexterity and mana to fit their class more. For some stronger races like the demons, transferring to the mage might reduce more of their health however some might see the increased mana capacity a worthy trade.

 

The equipment they start with is the default equipment off their class not knowing why they start with it but many are thankful they get something other than nothing.  This equipment can easily be replaced with better equipment from dungeons or shops, they just need to be holding/wearing the equipment before dispelling the transformation.

 


Evolution:

 

The transformation has 4 levels which are called evolution.

  • Rookie
  • Veteran
  • Advanced
  • Elite

 

Assassins and Berserkers are considered unique classes and do not have any evolutions they are already in their final forms however they need to increase their power and abilities over time to fully utilise their class to their best.

 

Each evolution increases the classes transformation abilities greatly. On how a person can move to their next level is unknown. They just need to keep using their spells actively in their transformed state and eventually, they will evolve. However, the time it takes to evolve between each level increases drastically the higher you go up.

 

But some suggest a quicker way to evolve is to overcome a near-impossible difficulty to trigger the evolution it's not 100% fact but the theory is gaining traction by Earth's researchers.

 


Spells:

 

Spells are separated into 11 tiers.

 

Spell Tier Power
1 Basic
2 Basic+
3 Advanced
4 Advanced+
5 Tactical
6 Tactical+
7 Strategic
8 Strategic+
9 National
10 National+
11 Unknown

 

  • Tier 1/2: Basic spells which can do low amounts of damage to people.
  • Tier 3/4: Can do a moderate to high amounts of damage to people
  • Tier 5/6: Can do you a moderate to high amounts of damage to an individual or groups of people
  • Tier 7/8: Can do high amounts of damage to towns and cities.
  • Tier 9/10: Can do a large amount of damage to one or more countries.
  • Tier 11: Realm of Myth it is considered that the Angel (Seraphim) which descended to Earth used it to kill the Demon Lord during the first Awakening on Earth 90+ years ago. (No other instances are recorded or known off)

 


Skills:

 

  • An action which occurs which would not have been otherwise possible within their limits. Such as leaping very far, stealth walking, sword skills, jumping extremely high, turning invisible for a certain amount of time, illusions, flying and many more.

 

  • Depending on the skill and its rarity it takes up mana. Such as Leaping could be considered a rare skill and it takes up 50 mana for each leap. (This skill is just to give you an idea of the rarity and mana consumption, this skill might not be the same within the story)

 

  • Activation: They just need to think about it, and it will occur.
10