Chapter 12 The wolf, the vixen and the weasel*.
20 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

* diversion of the French nursery rhyme: The wolf, the fox and the weasel.

 

“Secondary quest: Warn the Quileutes of the imminent arrival of two groups of nomads… Reward: confidence of the tribe… Penalty: risk of death in the rest of the game… Duration: One hour”

 

A few minutes later, two flatbed trucks pull up on the dirt road that separates the territories of Cullen and the Quileutes. A tall, muscular, dark-haired boy helps Billy into the wheelchair parked next to one of the cars, and two other, younger, but equally large boys jump out of the back of the other truck as they carry them, before open on a man of about fifty years and another older and very crumpled, but with a certain charisma. Carlisle steps forward and greets them.

 

“Hello gentlemen.

  • Hello, the old man replies soberly, the others just nodding.
  • Did you request an interview? Carlisle continues.
  • We would like to know your exact relationship with Isabella and the origin of her knowledge of wolves and vampires.
  • I have visions of the future, I intervene. They help me manage them. And it's Bella! »

 

I see that the six men in front of me are confused by my boldness. What were they thinking?! I spend my days surrounded by vampires, outlived the talented Major Whitlock and even faced the Ice Queen herself. Three puppies and three normal humans weren't going to scare me.

 

“How do your visions come to you? And why rely on them? Billy intervenes.

  • I have dreams and if I relied on them, it is because not only did I see that they would help me, but also because they are concerned. I had to help them not to expose their existence, which suits you at the same time.
  • We could have helped you in the same way. Charlie is my best friend. I wouldn't want his precious daughter to be accidentally killed by a vampire...
  • So, I'll arrest you right now Billy! The first supernatural threat I saw was Sam disfiguring her footprint by phasing right next to her! I reply. »

 

I see one of the wolves tremble. Whoever seems to be leading them puts a hand on the wolf's shoulder and he slowly calms down.

 

“Relax, Paul! Sam orders, then he turns to me. I wanted to thank you for your advice. Billy warned me after your dinner and I remembered it early enough in an argument to back off and Emily was only slightly injured in the fall. Thanks to you, I don't have to bear the brunt of hurting my mark. »

 

I nod my head, smiling slightly, relieved that Emily didn't have to go through this painful ordeal.

 

“You said you wanted to do everything to keep the Cullens secret. We must ask you to keep the secret of our existence as well, added the man who still hadn't spoken, Harry, I guess.

  • Of course I agree, it's obvious. Nor do I want my own secret to be exposed in the public square.
  • We understand, replies the old man, by elimination, old Quil.
  • I would like to know, if other dangers threaten us to your knowledge, Sam asks suddenly.
  • Well, yes, I said with a sigh, earning the worried looks of both the Quileutes and the vampires.
  • And when were you planning to tell us about it? exclaims Rosalie.
  • Rose, Carlisle interjects, looking at her authoritatively as Edward steps in front of me protectively.
  • Is it too much to ask to have a few weeks of peace, without having to worry about the more or less distant future?! I reply, annoyed. Besides, it was better for the Quileutes to know about certain facts.
  • We're listening to you dear, Esme said encouragingly. »

 

I remember a few seconds the facts that I had decided to reveal to them to change, for the better, at least I hoped, the events. I take a deep breath and begin my presentation.

 

"First of all, please know that friends in Jasper here…"

 

I pointed to Japer.

 

"…will be coming in a few weeks, but don't share the Cullens' diet." Their names are Peter and Charlotte.

  • We don't care what their names are, Paul spat. These leeches have not signed a pact, if they feed in Forks they will be destroyed. »

 

Jasper growled, but Carlisle spoke up.

 

“We will warn them to feed away from the city.

  • They'll always go hunting somewhere else, remarks the last boy, Jared therefore.
  • Only your territory is under your jurisdiction and we cannot impose a diet on them, just ask them to respect the same commitment as us to the Forks region.
  • Will they respect it? then asks old Quil.
  • I vouch for it, claims Jasper.
  • Well… what else Bella? Billy said turning to me.
  • Three other nomadic vampires, much less sympathetic, should arrive just before spring break. »

 

Out of the corner of my eye I see Edward glaring at me, tense and fists clenched.

 

"Their arrival will be heralded by the death of an old friend of Dad's… Not Billy, not Harry!" I add quickly, seeing the wolves tense with anger.

  • Who, Bella? Billy asks, shaking a little.
  • Wallon…”

 

I see Billy faint a little. Obviously, he is also a friend of his.

 

" Or ? he asks, his voice trembling.

  • In a boathouse I believe, I said, trying to remember the details. I'm sorry. »

 

Seeing their reaction, I begin to feel guilty for having told them this way, but his death is unjust and above all, it will hurt Charlie a lot. And his survival is all the more important since I'm not sure I can save Harry's life… So the next step was going to be tricky. Old Quil took over the interrogation.

 

“Can we stop them first?

  • I don't know yet, I answer honestly. I need to discuss this with the Cullens. They know the habits and reactions of vampires much better than I do. »

 

He nods at my response.

 

“We would like to be kept informed of the conclusion of your deliberations.

  • Of course, assures Carlisle.
  • Do you have any other good news, while we're at it? spit Paul.
  • Well yes… I say lowering my head. But I'd rather only talk to Harry Clearwater about it if you don't mind.
  • It bothers us, hisses Paul.
  • Paul! Sam intervenes.
  • It's okay, said Harry. But only you, no vampire.
  • It's okay, I answer back, as Edward grabs my arm. »

 

I turn to him, mime a "later" with my lips and smile sadly at Harry.

 

“Well… You've given us a lot to think about,” says old Quil. We are going to take our leave. Know that you are welcome on the reserve, young lady. You can come as you wish.

  • Thank you for this invitation, sir. Friends have to go surfing soon, maybe I'll go with them.
  • We'll meet again then, Sam replies. I patrol the beach every day.
  • Gladly, I nod. »

 

I hear Edward growl low. When I look at him, he stares at Paul, who grimaces as he stares back.

 

“Brrr! it's cold, I exclaim. »

 

Edward turns away from Paul and tells me he's taking me home right away.

 

"Quest completed... A reward has been granted..."

 

I climb onto his back and we pull away, but I know right away that something is wrong. He doesn't say a word, just nods his head when I ask him if he's feeling okay. Forget the smiling young man, welcome to the grumpy Edward. I was looking forward to having one of those guilt-inducing, one-sided “chats” he had with Bella about anything she had a say in. Except that he was out of the question for him to impose anything on me that I didn't want.

 

“Secondary Quest: To regain Edward's trust… Reward: A first date… Penalty: A painful and lonely death… Duration: Indefinite”

 

I moan internally. So if he decides to leave me without coming back, I die anyway and I know very well in whose hands… I want to scream. Edward passes through the window and is about to leave immediately after a quick "Good night", when I grab him by the arm and say:

 

"Oh no, honey! You're not going to spin like that without explaining to me what exactly you blame me for!

  • What do I blame you for? He whistles. »
  •  

Far from being intimidated, I squint and cross my arms.

 

"You did it again, Bella!"

  • What ?
  • Save information! We learned them at the same time as the wolves! »

 

He was fuming, but I held his glare.

 

"First, the dangerous vampires shouldn't be arriving for a long time, second, this particular information was about them." They are just as capable as you of protecting the people of Forks from vampire attack. As for the arrival of Peter and Charlotte, it's a vision of last night! »

 

It was true ! I only remembered them a few hours ago.

 

"Besides, I didn't tell them everything, because I wanted to tell you about it beforehand.

  • So why didn't you do it before the meeting? he reproaches me.
  • Because I needed them to trust me. Your surprised reaction could not be faked. They have understood that I will not hide anything important from them.
  • And why do you need their trust, ours is not enough for you? »

 

I feel that behind his anger, he is deeply hurt by my attitude, but I have to be firm on this point. If our attempt to kill Victoria fails, chances are he'll leave and I'll be left unprotected. I'm not going to stand to spend six months worrying to death, waiting for a psychopath to kill me or send her subordinates to do the job for her.

 

"Because you're abandoning me...I whisper under my breath." »

 

I don't know what he expected, but he freezes, still as a statue. An anxiety that had been lurking since I arrived in Forks is at the forefront of my emotions. I feel my heart racing and my breath hitching.

 

"You abandon me and she stalks me…I continue looking at the ground…She wants…She wants to torture me slowly…"

 

I yelp, lacking oxygen to continue my sentence. I feel a cold hand lift my face and encounter two onyx orbs.

 

" Who ? he whispers...

  • Victoria… I answer in the same tone, my eyes wide with terror. »

 

I start sobbing uncontrollably and he hugs me tighter than he ever has. We stay like this for long minutes and I end up losing consciousness. When I wake up, I'm lying in my bed without my coat and my sweatshirt. When I raise my head, I jump as I meet Alice's honeyed eyes.

 

" Well then ! You took a long time to emerge. Luckily it's the weekend!

  • Alice? What are you doing here ?
  • No miss, I'm the one asking the questions.
  • No Spanish inquisition please, I already gave with Edward last night. And I don't want to cry again.
  • Yeah, I saw what happened, but why didn't I see you make all those statements to the wolves?
  • You do not see any event that takes place near the wolves.
  • What ?! she exclaims.
  • That's why I didn't tell you before. You would have prevented me from speaking to the wolves of the passing nomads and I needed to be sure of their trust... so as not to die later. »

 

I feel tears welling up their noses again and Alice takes my hand.

 

"We're not leaving Bella...

  • Don't affirm anything you can't affirm...
  • You do not trust me ?! she said shocked.
  • In my vision, you leave without even saying goodbye to me because Edward asks you to.
  • But why are we leaving?
  • Due to an accident and several things I'm trying to avoid… I don't know what to do anymore… I felt like everything was going well with Edward, but last night… I had the feeling that by dint of wanting everything arranged alone, I ruined everything. He hates me.
  • No, he doesn't hate you, says Alice. He hates not being in control. I don't know if you noticed, but he has a little problem with that…”

 

I wipe away my tears and try to verify Alice's conviction. She gets up, hands me a set and asks me to get dressed. Everyone is waiting for me at home. I sigh and get ready. Another happy time to pass. I can't wait to be petrified by Medusa's gaze...

1