Chapter 7.
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

****************************************************************

As everyone gathered before the grand door, a heavy, suffocating tension hung in the air, thick and almost tangible.

Reinhold stood tall, his massive axe held firmly in his hand, a look of determination etched on his face. Beside him, Thorin gripped his gun tightly, his eyes scanning the intricate carvings on the grand door. The rest of the group looked on, their faces a mixture of excitement and apprehension.

Beyond this threshold, danger lurked in the shadows, waiting to strike at any moment. However, they remained unwavering, showing determination in their gaze, and with weapons held tight in their hands, they were ready to confront any evil entity that dared to challenge them.

With a nod from Reinhold, the knights advanced towards the imposing doors, their hearts pounding in their chests. Slowly, they extended their trembling hands until they made contact with the icy metal, feeling a surge of anticipation shoot through their veins.

"Are you ready?" Reinhold asked, glancing behind him. "Once these doors are opened, there's no turning back."

Thorin met his gaze and nodded solemnly, gripping his weapon tighter.

With a deep breath, the knights summoned their courage and pressed their palms firmly against the unyielding surface, knowing that their fate would be decided in the moments that followed.

As the heavy metal door ominously groaned open, a bone-chilling gust of icy air pierced through the entrance, causing goosebumps to rise on their arms.

With a nervous glance exchanged between them, they steeled their nerves and bravely ventured further into the abyss that awaited beyond. Every step they took reverberated through the vast hall, amplifying the sense of dread that clung to the air like a suffocating shroud.

The musty stench of neglect hung heavily in the stale atmosphere, a grim reminder of the desolation that enveloped the room. Dampness clung to the walls like a sinister whisper, casting a haunting pall over the scene before them.

With bated breath and hearts pounding, they advanced through the shadowy corridor in a close-knit formation. Every nerve was on edge, their eyes darting frantically as they meticulously scanned every crevice and corner, wary of any lurking danger that may be waiting in the darkness.

Suddenly, there came a loud screech, causing everyone to freeze in place.

It sounded like something large had moved nearby, though they weren't sure exactly what.

The noise faded away quickly, leaving behind silence so deafening that it seemed to reverberate throughout their bodies.

A few seconds later, a faint clicking sound echoed through the hall, growing steadily louder. It was accompanied by the rustle of wings flapping rapidly against stone, which makes the hair on the back of their neck stand up.

The clicking became louder with each passing minute, eventually turning into a thundering crescendo as thousands upon thousands of tiny legs skittered closer.

The knights swiftly assumed their battle stances, holding their shields firmly and brandishing their spears with readiness. The dwarves instinctively raised their weapons, bracing themselves for the impending threat.

"Get ready, men!" Reinhold shouted, gripping his axe tightly as the horde drew closer.

And then, in a sudden and terrifying spectacle, the spiders emerged. They descended upon them in a massive horde, skittering across the floor, ceiling, and walls in a grotesque display of their power. Their many eyes sparkled malevolently in the flickering torchlight as they realized they were surrounded by these nightmarish creatures.

They descended from above like rain, descending down from the rafters in a torrential downpour. As their feet touched the ground below, the floor vibrated violently, sending tremors throughout their entire beings.

Their mandibles clattered loudly as they advanced forward relentlessly.

Reinhold raised his weapon and charged forward, roaring ferociously as he cleaved a path through the swarm of arachnids.

His axe slashed through the air in a wide arc, decimating dozens of monsters in one fell swoop.

"Forward, soldiers!" Thorin cried out amidst the fray. The knights roared with vigor as they followed Reinhold into battle.

The spiders hissed and clicked angrily as they were cut down by the dozens, their bodies littering the stone floor in a macabre display.

But, despite their best efforts, the tide began to turn against them as the spiders continued their relentless attack.

They swarmed around the knights, trapping them in place as their razor-sharp fangs snapped at their exposed flesh with terrifying speed and precision.

One unfortunate dwarf was bitten on his leg and he collapsed to the ground in pain, clutching at the wound desperately as blood poured from it profusely.

Reinhold quickly dispatched his foes, rushing forward to help the fallen comrade as he feebly tried to crawl away from the advancing horde.

"Hold your ground!" Reinhold shouted with a fierce battle cry, he raised his axe high above his head, the glint of steel reflecting in his eyes. With all his might, he brought the weapon down in a thunderous strike, slicing deep into the creature's flesh in a single stroke that resonated through the air. The sound of metal meeting flesh echoed through the battlefield.

The spider writhed in agony, its legs thrashing wildly before finally going still, surrendering to Reinhold's mighty grasp. With a look of disdain, he effortlessly discarded the lifeless creature as if it were nothing more than a piece of trash.

A bloodcurdling scream pierced the air as yet another brave knight was mercilessly brought to his knees, thrashing in vain as a monstrous arachnid loomed over him. Its razor-sharp fangs relentlessly piercing into his chest, each strike more excruciating than the last.

Reinhold sprinted towards the knight's aid but was knocked back by a swarm of spiders that blocked his path. The knight's screams grew weaker by the second while the spiders continued their frenzied feast upon him. Finally, Reinhold managed to push through the horde, arriving just in time to see that his ally had succumbed to his fate as his body went completely still.

Meanwhile, with their gun, Thorin and the dwarves had vanquished numerous spiders. But when faced with an endless swarm, he shouted to other dwarves as he reached deep into his arsenal and unleashed a fiery inferno upon his enemies. The ground trembled as the fireball erupted, consuming the creatures in a blaze of destruction.

"Retreat, men! Fall back!" Thorin bellowed, signaling for the remaining dwarves to retreat into the safety of their fortified position.

As the flames danced and crackled, it devouring everything in their path. The heat was so intense that it seemed to warp the very air around it, creating a shimmering haze of destruction.

The vile arachnids, with their grotesque forms and wicked intentions, stood no chance against the onslaught of the inferno. Their cries of agony and terror were drowned out by the roar of the flames, their twisted bodies quickly melting into nothing but ash and smoke.

It was as if the very essence of the dragons themselves had been unleashed in that moment, their wrath and power unleashed upon the destructive forces that had dared to threaten their domain. The relentless fury of the inferno knew no bounds, consuming everything in its path with a voracious hunger that seemed insatiable.

The dwarves quickly sought refuge behind the knight's shieldwall as the spiders were vanquished. The hall now lay in silence, the only sound the crackling of embers and the fading warmth of the dying fire. The inferno had done its work, leaving behind nothing but a scorched path and a testament to the power of the legendary dragons.

As the last of their adversaries crumbled to ashes, the knights breathed heavily in relief and exhaustion, their muscles sore from combat.

"Hahaha now that's what ye call 'Dragons' Breath' eh Thorin?" the young lad, Kovalt, jested.

"Shut yah damn mouth, boy, or I'll give ya a right good smackin!"

The old dwarf's threat was half-hearted at best. He was too worn out and relieved at his survival to care about anything else.

"Alright alright, I'm only kiddin'," the lad responded, raising his arms in surrender.

Kovalt then looked at the charred remains of the spiders in awe. It was truly a terrifying display of power and destruction.

"By Drurin's beard, that was amazing! I ain't ever seen anythin' like it before," the youth exclaimed in wonderment, his eyes filled with admiration as he glanced over at Thorin.

"Well, I don't want to see anything like that anytime soon," said the dwarf, shaking his head with a sigh. "Those beasts were bloody terrifyin', I tell ya! And the smell! Mahal, I think I'm gonna hurl if we stay down here much longer," he added, pinching his bearded nose.

The other dwarves chuckled at the dwarf's reaction but nodded in agreement. The stench of burnt flesh and hair permeated the air, filling the chamber with a putrid odor that was nearly unbearable.

Reinhold turned to Thorin, who was busy reloading his gun, and gave him a weary smile.

"Thank goodness the dragon powder came in handy.," he remarked, patting the dwarf on the shoulder. "Without it, we would have been done for."

Thorin grunted and nodded his head, looking back up at his king. "Aye, that's for true. But we still got a lotta fightin' ahead of us, I reckon."

Reinhold smiled and nodded in agreement, placing both hands on his hips. "Yes, yes, you are right. This is only the beginning of our journey, but I believe that if we stick together and keep fighting, we can overcome any obstacle that comes our way."

"Attention, everyone. Please prepare to proceed. Gawain, please double-check our men for any casualties and tend to the injured individual" Reinhold called out.

"Righto sir." Gawain replied, he had a scar on his face running from the left brow and ended just near his lip.

The man walked around checking on the knights, giving them a quick inspection for injuries.

The knights and dwarves checked their weapons and armor, securing them tightly against their bodies. The atmosphere was tense as they prepared to continue onward to the unknown dangers that awaited them within these dank corridors, but there was also a sense of excitement in it, too.

When Gawain finished his task, Reinhold asked him.

"How is everyone doing?"

Gawain looked at Reinhold with concern and sighed deeply.

"We lost two of our comrades during the attack, and there are several more that need medical attention immediately." He paused, looking over his shoulder towards the entrance of the hall. Then he whispered quietly to himself, shaking his head sadly as he muttered under his breath.

"This place will be our tomb..."

Thorin and Reinhold looked over the group, taking stock of who was still standing and who wasn't.

There were only 50 dwarves remaining, including Thorin. Of those 50, three of them had been severely injured by the spiders' venom and were in need of urgent treatment.

"What should we do?" Thorin inquired.

He knew they couldn't continue without treating those wounded. Yet he also understood that if they stayed where they were, they might attract more spiders.

He glanced at Reinhold, wondering how he would decide.

"Let's keep movin' forward then. We cannot afford to waste any time; we must act swiftly. Thorin, lead the way! We must follow the map our scout acquired last night." Reinhold commanded.

The knights, their hearts filled with loyalty and valor, swiftly heeded his command, encircling the fallen comrades in a show of solidarity and carry them while Thorin took the lead and guided the group towards the exit with Reinhold by his side.

They moved cautiously through the narrow corridor, the darkness pressing in around them as they ventured further into the unknown. Step by step, they navigated the twists and turns, their only guide the faint glimmer of light in the distance. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, they emerged from the shadows into a massive, cavernous space.

As Thorin and Gawain gazed around the chamber before them, both were taken aback by just sheer scale of it, it was easily ten times larger than any room they have ever encountered. The domelike ceiling rose high above their heads, disappearing into the gloom of obscurity.

A couple torches flickered along the walls, casting eerie shadows that danced in the flickering glow. There appeared to be several passageways branching off in different directions from this main room, and each one led further into darkness.

The air was thick and musty, filled with an ancient stench reminiscent of rotting flesh.

The knights stood motionless at the center of this massive cavern, listening intently for any sign of activity. The silence weighed heavily upon their minds, making their skin crawl with unease as they waited patiently for something—anything—to occur.

Suddenly, from out of nowhere, there came a faint whisper carried upon the stale breeze.

"You shouldn't be here... Leave... While you still can."

Thorin jumped back in surprise, instinctively reaching for his gun and holding it tightly against his chest. Reinhold raised his hand, motioning for him not to fire, and the group fell silent once more as they strained their ears in hopes of hearing the voice again.

The silence was broken by the echo of footsteps coming from somewhere deep within this labyrinthine maze. The sound grew louder until it became apparent that whoever it was, they were headed straight toward them. 

Thorin aimed his weapon towards the source of the noise, ready to unleash the fury of his toy upon any potential enemy.

"Show yourselves! Identify yourself!" he yelled out boldly.

After a few moments pass, there stood before them a young man with long white hair and dark brown eyes dressed in black leather pants and jacket. His features seemed oddly familiar to Reinhold, yet there was something strange about his aura. Something sinister.

"Who goes there? Identify yourself!" he demanded once again.

The stranger simply stared at them blankly, his face expressionless.

The knights tenses as their weapons remained trained on him. They waited anxiously for his next action, prepared to attack if needed.

Suddenly, a low chuckle escaped from the young man's lips. His laughter quickly escalated into a manic cacophony echoing through the hollow halls, reverberating off the walls and causing chills to race up their spines.

"I've been waiting for you... My precious guests."

His words struck fear into their very souls. The knights clenched their weapons with intensity and took several steps backward.

"You should really leave. This isn't a place for mortals," the man continued, smiling wickedly. "If you value your lives, go now."

With a dramatic gesture, he ominously pointed towards the exit behind them, shrouded in web and urged them to move away from him.

"Go! Run! Before it's too late."

His voice echoed ominously through the vacant chamber, causing their hearts to race with fear. The knights looked at each other with anxious expressions, unsure of how to proceed.

"What are you talking about? What's happening here?" Reinhold asked cautiously.

The stranger laughed loudly.

"The Queen are already satisfied. You are a brave bunch and entertaining. Although she is amused by your presence as she has found the entertainment amusing and willing to forgive your intrusion. However, I'm afraid I cannot allow you to live. You are trespassing in my domain."

The Knights looked at each other nervously, exchanging confused glances.

"HAHAHA, YOUR domain you said." Thorin said, laughing loudly. The dwarf was always known to laugh at danger. "Listen here, boy. We ain't afraid o' ya. Yeh can take your threats and shove 'em where Drurin doesn't shine," he retorted. He then spat on the floor and crossed his arms defiantly, daring the stranger to challenge him.

"Yes, indeed, mine! I am the master of this domain, possessing all that lies within these walls and moutain, including you, since your father fled like a coward and became our indentured servant!" His authoritative tone filled the chamber, echoing in their minds while he fixed them with a gaze of lunacy, his eyes ablaze with madness.

Thorin was shocked and angered by such a comment, but Reinhold placed his hand on his shoulder, silently ordering him to keep quiet and refrain from saying anything rash.

"What didja' just say? Did ya call me daft, ya bloody twit?! Why I ought ta..." Thorin started but was stopped by Reinhold.

Reinhold then slammed the axe firmly into the ground, stepped straight forward facing the other person with a serious facial expression, his gaze ablaze with flickers of fire.

"You said you cannot allow us to live?" the King stated boldly as he glared at the stranger menacingly. He then turned to Thorin and other dwarves, addressing them sternly. "Head to the gates and handle the web, my knights will stand guard behind you!"

The dwarf grumbled under his breath but complied with the order, leading the group towards the exit. As soon as they left, he turned back to face their opponent.

"So, you are claiming to have control over everything in this domain?" he questioned the mysterious figure standing before him.

The man's eyes narrowed dangerously as he glared directly into Reinholds' eyes.

"Of course. Who do you think you're dealing with?"

"By what right do you dare to speak in such a manner in my presence? Who has bestowed upon you the audacity to confront me face-to-face like this?" Reinhold demanded.

The man's eyes widened slightly as he realized who exactly he was facing, but he quickly recovered his composure.

"Why do you even ask, Reinhold von Lionheart? It has always been like this, and always will be. Your people were born to serve---"

Without waiting for him to finish his sentence, Reinhold threw a hook straight into his adorable mouth. The blow landed with such force that he was sent hurtling into the wall behind, the impact reverberating through the room like thunder. The ground quaked beneath them, a physical manifestation of the sheer power behind Reinhold's punch.

"Oh wow, please continue to grace us with your infinite wisdom, oh mighty weakling who talks too much."

The man slowly pulled himself up off the rubble, his body trembling with pain. Rivers of blood cascaded from his gaping, jawless mouth as he desperately scoured the debris for his missing jaw.

"You bastard! How dare you ruin my unique face!" The man screamed in rage as he charged headlong towards Reinhold, his fists blazing with darkness.

Reinhold's smirk twisted into a cruel sneer as he effortlessly evaded the flailing attacks of the desperate man. With merciless determination, he unleashed a savage onslaught of punches, each strike more brutal than the last.

The man stumbled back, his cries of pain echoing through the air as his blood splattered across his face. Reinhold showed no mercy, his relentless combo leaving blood spurted out of the man's face with each blow, painting his pale complexion crimson as it flowed freely down his chin.

"Oh, please, show me your mighty true form master, as if I really care or something." Reinhold scoffed.

With a furious roar, the young man suddenly morphed into a monster resembling a spider, his eyes glowed a bright red as he let out a deafening screech, causing chaos and panic to erupt among the chamber. It was a terrifying sight to behold, a creature born of nightmares and dark magic.

The monster's monstrous limbs thrashed violently, its long, hairy appendages reaching out with malicious intent towards Reinhold. At the end of each limb, a cruel and razor-sharp claw glistened ominously, poised to strike at any moment.

"Is this all? HAHAHA! You disappoint me. And you call yourself the master of this domain?" Reinhold shouted in mockery at the monster before him, his voice booming through the vast chamber as he jumped back.

"Oh, are you quaking in your boots now? Better be aware of your feeble limits before facing my almighty presence or---!"

In a sudden movement, Reinhold closed the distance between him and the monster in a split second. His speed was so fast that he seemed to flash in mid-air.

His knuckles turned white as he clenched his fists, feeling the rush of adrenaline coursing through his veins. With a guttural growl, he landed a powerful blow straight down on the spider's head, the force of which reverberated through his entire body. 

The impact was so powerful as the spider's head crack under the sheer force of the blow. Its body lay glued to the floor as its legs twitching in response.

Blood oozed from Reinhold's knuckles where they had made contact with the monster's tough exoskeleton.

"Who are you?" Reinhold asked.

The monster let out another loud shriek as it tried to get up but failed.

"What do you mean who I am?" it cried out in agony, clutching its cracked skull with its front legs as it rolled around on the cold stone floor.

The creature continued to roll about, groaning in pain as it attempted to recover from its injuries. It looked at Reinhold with hateful eyes, his stare sharp like daggers at the man who had caused him so much suffering.

Suddenly, Reinhold seized his leg in a violent act and snapped it in twain, as though it were a mere twig in the hands of a vengeful god. The monster howled in agony, unable to comprehend what had happened.

"Answer my question!" Reinhold yelled furiously.

The monster's eyes widened in terror, realizing that he could never escape the wrath of such a powerful being. He began trembling violently, his body shaking uncontrollably as sweat poured down his forehead, stinging the open wound on his face.

Out of nowhere, he felt an overwhelming pressure engulf his entire body, a weight that seemed to crush his very soul. He knew, with absolute certainty, that the all-powerful queen was watching him, her piercing gaze bearing down upon him.

The weight of her presence bore down upon him like a heavy cloak, suffocating him. He knew then, in that moment, that his fate hung in the balance as he stood before the queen, his every breath now a testament to his loyalty or his demise.

"Oh majestic queen, I beseech you to dispatch a high executor to my aid! I vow to make it worth your while, my queen!" the monster begged pathetically.

Reinhold was taken back in surprise, having never seen this type of behavior from anyone before. It was quite pathetic. He couldn't stop laughing.

"Oh wow, how silly of you to think that your queen actually gives a crap about saving you. You're just a lowly worm in her grand army. And gosh, isn't it just shocking that no spider has come to your aid yet? How unexpected."

Reinhold chuckled darkly as he stared down at him with a mocking sneer, relishing his momentary victory. The monster trembled as he realized his fate was sealed; he had been abandoned by those he thought were his allies. In a desperate bid, hoping to save his own hide, he began pleading for his life.

"P-Please spare my life! I promise to be loyal to you and never disobey you again!"

He groveled at the feet of Reinhold, begging pathetically, his voice quivering with fear as tears streamed down his cheeks.

"I do not make deals with the darkness. Especially their dogs."

Reinhold grab his hair as he lifted him from the ground and held the monster in the air with ease.

"YOUR NAME!" he commanded.

With great difficulty, the monster managed to choke out the words through his sobbing.

"L-L-Lucifer. Lucifer Morningstar." he stuttered fearfully. "And I'm no dog! I'm a king! A prince! The ruler of all creation before your kind came here!"

"It appears that you, Lucifer Morningstar, are indeed an ancient being of Laruthar. However, I am not surprised, considering how weak you are."

The monster let out an angry roar and struggled against Reinhold's grip as he tried desperately to free himself from Reinhold's grasp. However, the strength of the king's hold proved too great for him to break free of and his struggles only served to further enrage the king.

With a blood-curdling roar, Reinhold's fist crashed into Lucifer's chest with a devastating blow, shattering his ribs and sending him sprawling to the ground. The sound of bones snapping and skin tearing filled the air as Lucifer gasped for air, his body writhing in agony before the merciless presence of Reinhold.

"I'll ask you one last time. How did you and your queen awaken from the depths of ancient slumber?"

The creature's voice was barely audible as he wheezed painfully, blood pouring from his mouth.

"You're not the first one to ask me that."

The man coughed and gasped for air as he spoke, his voice raspy and weak. Blood oozed from his broken body, staining the stone beneath them a deep, crimson red as he writhed in a helpless dance of death. The scene was nothing short of a brutal, chaotic symphony of destruction.

A smile spread across Reinholds' face as he watched Lucifer suffer, enjoying every moment of his pain and torment. He savored the sight before him, basking in glory of his conquest, reveling in his triumph.

"I guess we're both getting what we deserve."

With his last ounce of strength, 'Lucifer' glared at the victor with pure hatred and venomous spite. He cursed Reinhold and his kin to eternal damnation as his vision faded into darkness.

"You will die in fire, and your legacy will be forgotten... I curse you and your family, forever."

His last words rang in Reinhold's ears as he stood above the fallen foe, victorious yet empty.

Reinhold's eyes narrowed in disgust as he looked down at his defeated enemy. His heart was heavy with conflicting emotions—anger, triumph, and sorrow—all tangled up together. He had won, but it didn't feel like enough. This victory meant nothing compared to the devastating losses he and his people had endured before these foul creatures.

0